Overmoisturised?

Has your hair ever been overmoisturised?

• Yes

Votes: 174 43.4%
  • No

Votes: 121 30.2%
  • I dont know

Votes: 106 26.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I dont think my poor hair has ever had moisture. Sunday I thought I over moisturized, left conditioner in my hair because I started feeling horrible from a two day cold I had, didnt feel like washing the conditioner out till lat cause every bone ached lol . I finally washed it out , hair felt mushy thought uh-oh too much moisture monster. Figured I deal with the proble mthe next day. Welllll next day no moisture , hair was kind hard and stiff , I' at such a lost on what to do with my poor hair, tried protein, no protein moisture and protien etc etc long story short my hair hates me I think.

When I first discovered co-washing, I really overdid it and my hair became really mushy. I just didn't realize it. I just thought it was soft. Then it began shedding and breaking like crazy and nothing I tried helped. Finally someone turned me on to the Aphogee, deep condition, PC method and I got a good trim and my hair quickly turned around. But it was a disaster there for awhile.:ohwell:

CAPlush said:
:ohwell: This is why I don't deep condition w/o protein, my hair is just too porous and damaged and it takes up way too much moisture. Maybe it will require more moisture when the ends are healthy in a couple of years.

What do you mean by deep condition w/o protein, do you mix them or ..?

la flaca said:
What do you mean by deep condition w/o protein, do you mix them or ..?

I think she means that she does not use the conditioners that don't contain protein.

And I know what she means, too. I have to use those after henna and hard-core protein, but if I don't use a fortifying protein conditioner my hair gets over moisturized.

After I have been using porosity control for a couple of washes, my hair gets over moisturized more quickly. I plan on doing a light protien rinse (aubreys gpb conditioner for 2-3 mins) before deep conditioning to prevent this

HoneyDew said:
I think she means that she does not use the conditioners that don't contain protein.

And I know what she means, too. I have to use those after henna and hard-core protein, but if I don't use a fortifying protein conditioner my hair gets over moisturized.

Thanks Honeydew:)

HoneyDew said:

nappywomyn said:
It hasn't happened to me since I went natural..... I would have to work HARD to overmoisturize my hair...

Ditto.

I can't imagine what it would take to overmoisturize my hair.

la flaca said:

Honeydew got my meaning. If I deep condition with Elasta DPR 11 or Motions Moisture Plus, my hair will be a mess. I check the ingredients to make sure there is at least plant proteins or collagen protein in the first 5 ingredients and deep condition with those types of products.

CAPlush said:
Honeydew got my meaning. If I deep condition with Elasta DPR 11 or Motions Moisture Plus, my hair will be a mess. I check the ingredients to make sure there is at least plant proteins or collagen protein in the first 5 ingredients and deep condition with those types of products.

How often do you deep condition with your protein conditioners?

HoneyDew said:
How often do you deep condition with your protein conditioners?

2x a week (sort of Cathy Howse style). I alternate between lighter ones (ORS Replenish and Roux Mendex) and medium ones (Motions CPR or Aphogee 2 Min). I don't think my routine includes too much protein for my hair type, I have been doing this for about 4-5 months without anything approaching "too much protein."

I overmoisturuzed once...and I knew it as soon as I got out the shower and touched the crown of my hair. I was like :eek: its that gummy mushy feeling everyone talks about.

I alternate protien and moisturizing deep con to aviod over moisturizing my hair. My hair is very soft naturally and can become mushy easily. I don't use hard core protien though a little gpb is all I need. Something like apohgee can make my soft hair like wire and break right off. You realy have to find a balance.

I just went to a new stylist this past friday and she said that i was overmoisturized and that i need to step-up my protein treatments. she told me that was the reason that my hair was breaking so easily.

The baggy method produced too much moisture for my fine 4a/4b hair. My hair was so soft, mushy and fragile, that it seem to slide right out of my scalp.:ohwell:

Oh lord

i did this to my hair a long long time ago can't remember the age but i had condish in my hair and ladies picture
wet slimy putty
it does not feel nice
just wayyy wayyy to soft

I know what you mean. I really dont think my hair can get over moisturized and i kind of want to get it that way just to see if it has a limit, but it just sucks everything up and isnt really satisfied. Because i cant get overmoisturized and my hair just sucks everything up, its like im constantly trying to keep it moist, if i could get past this stage and overmoisturize, then maybe i could find a medium stage where it is "happy"
But now i dont feel as bad anymore because so many people responded they've never been overmoisturized

Maybe people who have had that happen have less protein, because it seems like my hair has more than enough and just wants moisture moisture moisture

Yes. It happened to me just recently (namely about two weeks ago). Before then I didn't think it was possible, but my hair was looking really limp and dull for some reason, and even though it felt soft it had this weird coated feeling. Then I did some research online and found out that as a relaxed head I should be doing protein treatments at least once a month and that henna doesn't constitute as a protein treatment! I was steering clear of protein, thinking that it was something only to be used around relaxer time. But I did a protein treatment recently, and let me tell you my hair feels so much better.

i confess, I overmoisturized today. Funny, b.c when you over do it you're looking for that juicy curly look but mine just came out looking like a ham. I think you can only get that juicy-very-moisturized look with curl activators....*hunches*

Quote:
Originally Posted by seraphinelle View Post
But I'm not sure how mushy hair feels.

SAME HERE! After my cowashes I'm like, "Okay, is this mushy or soft?"

When my hair is soft, I still have curl definition, but my hair is smooth to the touch. When my hair is mushy, it looks like overcooked spaghetti. It's all just melded together in one big lump on my head. Yick! Baggying causes this for me, so that's one of the few things I don't do. I incorporate regular protein treatments in my regimen, but even with them, one night of full head baggying (hair's too short to do ponytails) leaves my hair disgusting in the morning.

Hmmmm....I don't know if my hair has ever been over-moisturized. My hair has been both natural and relaxed. I've been natural though for the past 16 years. Are we really talking about too much moisture or are we talking about an overload of the products that we are using to "lock" the moisture in and that is what is weighing the hair down and giving the mush monster effect. Isn't that different? Lets say you had a hair steamer for instance and you used it without products, used it for just the hydrating benefits- would you experience the same results of being "over-moisturized"?

Also what would happen if you used an evo and egg mixture which would combine both the protein and locking in moisture benefits. Would it balance everything out? Has anyone out there ever tried it? What do you think Ladies?

I just found this recipe:

"Deep Conditioning Egg Treatment

This recipe is for a pre-shampoo deep conditioning treatment that is sure to cure your locks of dryness right down to the roots. It is a great treatment for damaged hair and helps to restore a radiant and healthy glow. Mix 3 eggs, 2 tablespoons of olive oil, and 1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar. Apply the mixture to your locks, cover with a shower cap, and let sit for about 30 minutes. When your 30 minutes is up, shampoo as usual.

Hair comes in many ways and not all treatments will be successful for each type. Try each one and find what works best for you and your lovely locks."

on the second page of this link:

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/1624632/natural_ways_to_moisturize_and_condition.html?cat=5

Yes,
Unfortunately I am going through this now. I have been alternating between protein conditioners and moisturizing conditioners for about 3 months to control the shedding. I found a packet of the old Aphogee formula and put on the back of my hair (the worst breakage point). It's very frustrating. It happened to me as a result of using Wen and forgetting to step up the protein.

I've never experienced over moisturized hair either. I co wash, leave deep condition in, and baggy. Is it more common in relaxed ladies with fine hair? baggying makes my hair sort of frizzy, but I just tye my satin scarf on to smooth things down a bit before going out.

When I just started my HHJ, I was DCing with moisturising condishes every 2/3 days, moisturising sometimes twice a day, and experimenting with whole-head overnight baggying. My hair started breaking, and I wondered why - over moisturised. I read a thread and started incorporating light protein DCs and now save baggyying overnight for when I have been lazy and haven't moisturised, or my hair is seriously dried out from being in a superhot climate, etc.

Back