Overmoisturised?

Has your hair ever been overmoisturised?

• Yes

Votes: 174 43.4%
  • No

Votes: 121 30.2%
  • I dont know

Votes: 106 26.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Yes and it caused a major setback. I am texlaxed and I would CW a few times a week and rarely use protein. I experienced a lot of breakage and hairloss.

I am now doing protein treatments once a week and my hair feels great.

Yes when I was doing hot yoga everyday I would put conditioner in my hair before and after like an idiot...lol!! But I thought that it would help my hair from the 110 degree room. Nope my hair was ate up afterwards.

several times... whenever I baggy even on dry my hair gets over moisturized... If i wash my hair and put it in a bun to air dry it gets over moisturized....

how you know? Your hair feels gummy and damp to the touch... and u run ur fingers through it and it stretches like a rubberband then breaks off in long pieces. When my hair needs moisture it breaks in short sharp shards of hair and feels like straw and steel wool.

Answer to overmoisturization is protein. Simple! The mushier your hair is, the more protein you need. It's all about the balance.

It happened to me once when I was trying to find what worked for me. I was using curl activator as my moisturizer. One day, my hair felt so mushy, and gummy, and strange that my stomach felt like it dropped to my feet. I was in a mini panic and immediately stopped using the product.

yes! I like to weigh down my hair, so I use "normal" conditioners as leave-ins. At the beginning of my journey I was doing it everydy and I was deep conditioning with a moisturizing deep conditioner as well.
My hair was overmoisturized.
Then I found out that in order to balance everything I just have to co-wash with protein or DC with protein (I use aubrey organics gpb) every so often, not too much as I'm not relaxed and my hair is coarse. This allows me to use conditioner as a leave-in as much as I like without damage.

I DC with 1tbsp aphogee 2 min, 1 ORS replenishing pack, 1 tbsp of Lustrasilk shea/mango butter. I use this once a week. I whole head baggy every night. I think my hair is somewhat balanced. Although my hair builds a lot of moisture from baggying, I think equally as much of the moisture is evaporated from my hair. Even with sealing, my hair doesn't seem to retain moisture. I guess my hair is just thirsty.

SAME HERE! After my cowashes I'm like, "Okay, is this mushy or soft?" :ohwell:
I'm also like -- is this mushy or soft?

I am a 4a/b ... my hair soaks up moisture like crazy. I've heard of hair being "over moisturized' or "mushy" but I've never experienced it for myself. I personally don't think its possible for my hair to experience that.

Yes - back in the day when I used wave nouveau lotion. Mind you I didn't have the curl, I just used the lotion and not that much of it but my hair tended to get goopy fast and to this day I'm skittish about glycerin.

for me, my hair is overmoisturized when it gets stretching and mushy.

elasticity is one thing, but when you can pull on a strand and it gives like a piece of bubblegum. . . . yeah, that's an issue. been there, done that, setback city. DO NOT TRY TO DUPLICATE THIS PLEASE for the love of hair.

I DC with 1tbsp aphogee 2 min, 1 ORS replenishing pack, 1 tbsp of Lustrasilk shea/mango butter. I use this once a week. I whole head baggy every night. I think my hair is somewhat balanced. Although my hair builds a lot of moisture from baggying, I think equally as much of the moisture is evaporated from my hair. Even with sealing, my hair doesn't seem to retain moisture. I guess my hair is just thirsty.

I'm also like -- is this mushy or soft?

you could have an issue with porosity. have you ever used Porosity Control?

1 time. I mix Ion Effective Care treatment Intensive Therapy Protein with Jerri Redding Veggie Protein in an old KKKT Container, and I use it every other week. I left it on for 20 min no heat and when I rinsed my hair felt really mushy.I thought to my self oh this is what they mean by over moisturized hair . The container does state it is a fortifier and a moisturizer, I think it is more of a moisturizer based on how my hair felt, but adding the more veggie protein to it makes it more of a fortifier.

When I looked at the container, I thought well the Jerri Redding that I added must have been used up during a previous conditioning. I make sure that I shake the container before and during the time I add it to my hair to ensure it is completly emulsified. My hair has not felt that way since then. I did not even have to mositurize much during that week.

Last edited:
I think my hair has been over-moisturized for a long time, maybe years. I didn't realize it until joining LHCF and after my first experience with Aphogee 2 min (I'd never done protein before that). My hair was always very soft and did seem to break more easily than others' hair.

My hair is porous and the strands are fine. So after using the Aphogee, it finally had a good feeling to it--the same feeling of my little sister's hair, who has natural hair that easily grows to MBL with absolutely no correct hair care or effort. (In fact, if she was on this board I think she can get to HL with the same practices). It was still smooth, but had more substance/texture and I could actually feel the individual strands, if that makes sense.

I actually hadn't deep conditioned much in the beginning stages of going natural, but I was always hearing "moisture, moisture, DC, moisture" and started doing this a lot more in the past few years. And I realized that this was why my hair wasn't making it past APL anymore. Only recently did I learn about the protein side of the argument.

I also henna'd for the first time last weekend and I AM SHOCKED by the results. Just beautiful, strong, and the funny thing is that for the first time my cornrows look good after a week and I can go for two weeks without retouching the sides. I think it made my hair less porous so it doesn't frizz up so easy.

I've done it.. My cause was baggying.. which is why I stay farrrrrr away from doin it....Mushy..always breaking...stretchin and then popping... I over came it with a hardcore protein treatment ( ORS Hair Mayo +1 Egg ) .. light weekly Protein condish ( Nexxus Keraphix or Paul Mitchell super strong treatment) ..and used Infusium as a leave in ... now to keep the balance because I do co wash everyday(unless I'm stretchin a wash n go )..Once a week I use a protein condish..and I still use infusium as my leave in ...and once a month I try to do a hardcore protein treatment. Every now n then I'll take a piece of hair and stretch it.. just to see what the situation looks like.

Last edited:
My hair has been overmoisturized before. I had this happen more often when my hair was colored than in its natural state. I would dc and oil it to death trying to save the colored bleach ends from falling out. As a result, I was left with limp hair that made styling it the pits.

Too much coconut oil, is a BAAAAAAD thing. I now put the oil on my fingertips and massage my scalp with it. The rest on my hand go on my hair for shine.

Yes, my hair is overmoisturized. I noticed this when it began to become limp, lifeless and couldn't hold a style. My hair was screaming for protein. I shampooed with Jason Natural Biotin Shampoo and deep condtioned with Eluence Extended Moisture Repair Treament. My hair felt stronger immediately. I will monitor this situation for the next month and stay away from over moisturzing my hair. I will ensure my conditioners are balanced with moisture and ligh protein from now on.

Yes it has, but it's been a few years though.. Didn't know that's what it was but since being on LHCF I look back realized my hair was over moisturized at that time. But my hair wasn't unhealthy and I used a few products that unknowingly had protein and my hair was back to normal....

i was doing CWs every day and my hair became overmoisturised. it had all the symptoms. it followed the comb while wet, it was a bit mushy and lifeless, and it streeeetttttccchhhed then popped while wet.

I did a couple protein treatments (which i NEVER did before) and my hair is slowly turning around.

i can honestly say, that it it were not for this board, i woud not have known how to fix that problem. :yep:
I like your definition that your hair followed your comb. That is a description I can visualize

Last edited:
Back