Oprah's hair unpressed- its all hers!

OK, First I'll say... I love her length and that it's all hers. It looks good to me.

I didn't read through the whole thread to find out if someone addressed this. But her hair doesn't look natural to me. It looks like how my 4b hair looked when I was relaxed & air dried. (pre press)

Do we have confirmation that she is natural or are we jumping to conclusions?

Here's mine from when I was relaxed - .... Pre Press.
9_8c-vi.png

- lightly blown out.... Pre Press.
IM001364-vi.jpg

I agree with you.
And I am just loving your beautiful hair. :yep:

Actually I know plenty of women with super long and thick hair who get full weaves in order to protect their natural hair. Full headed weaves are pretty great because your own hair is breaded up and you can do whatever you want with the weave portion. I'm not surprised Oprah has such long beautiful hair. I also know from an inside source that she does wear full headed weaves during her show and takes it out when she isn't in public.

I thought the same thing...infact I thought that once you relaxed your hair it will be straight and flat no matter what your hair type. I really didn't know relaxed sisters press and flat iron. Shame on me :nono:

So what does relaxing do for afro hair if it looks the same afterwards? Or am I wrong again? Does relaxed hair look more "afro" when you're transitioning or due another perm?

Well, i don't think there are many (if any) ladies with relaxed hair who also press (i.e. use a hot comb to straighten their hair). That process would be seen to be way too hard on relaxed hair, and not necessary.

People with relaxed hair who flat iron do so to get a smooth, sleek, straight style. When you let relaxed hair air-dry, it often will be kind of frizzy and brittle unless you style it in some way that smoothes the hair out while it dries or afterwards - e.g. rollerset, wrap, braid out, flat iron. Many relaxed heads can get fairly smooth andstraight with a large roller set that is airdried long enough or that is hood dried.

Afro hair doesn't usually look just the same after a relaxer. Many people do in fact relax their hair bone straight. Others however, choose to leave some of the natural texture in the hair, e.g. by leaving the relaxer on for a shorter time, adding oil / conditioner to the relaxer, using a mild relaxer, etc. There are also a few people whose hair just never gets truly straight with a relaxer, no matter what they do

Look at all that thick, beautiful hair!! :love: Other black female celebrities should take a page out of Oprah's book-- she's proof that you can wear wigs and weaves as protective styles and STILL have a beautiful head of healthy hair underneath. :yep:

I know I'm late but...

Oprah's hair is very nice! I see now why her presses look so good. When you start with that beautiful puff of hair and "lay it down, lay it down" with a press, it can't help but have that swang and look great.

I always thought it was her hair and natural too because when Andre came out with his hair type system he used Oprah as an example of a 4B (I think it's B) and showed a photo. I've also seen several of her as a child and a few more through the years and they all looked natural and thick (aside from her bad hair days as a News Anchor where it didn't look as healthy). Her skin does look better these days!! I just love her and her hair!!!

So if O is a 4b, then I think this is from a blowout or somehthing. I would love for my 4b hair to be like this.

i wonder what she does to keep her hair that way. Andre once said that Oprah washes her hair everyday. So I assume they blow dry and flat iron or curl too?

Now I do question the wash everyday part. I don't know many 4b-ers (assuming that really is Oprah's texture) that can wash everyday, but i know they're out there. I, however, would prefer not to discuss how often I wash my hair just b/c some "people" think your dirty to wash once a week and I don't ever want to explain why b/c then you go down that road.

OK, First I'll say... I love her length and that it's all hers. It looks good to me.

I didn't read through the whole thread to find out if someone addressed this. But her hair doesn't look natural to me. It looks like how my 4b hair looked when I was relaxed & air dried. (pre press)

Do we have confirmation that she is natural or are we jumping to conclusions?

Here's mine from when I was relaxed - .... Pre Press.
9_8c-vi.png

- lightly blown out.... Pre Press.
IM001364-vi.jpg

Mook you provided the perfect example of why Oprah's hair can really be relaxed. If anything, i think Oprah gives inspiration to the relaxed and natural ladies.

I'm guilty too.

I thought the same thing...infact I thought that once you relaxed your hair it will be straight and flat no matter what your hair type. I really didn't know relaxed sisters press and flat iron. Shame on me :nono:

Oprah didn't say she was natural neither did Lady Michelle O (I assumed they were because of what I said above). My relaxed friends NEVER tell me they style their hair I just assume it's flat lol.

So what does relaxing do for afro hair if it looks the same afterwards? Or am I wrong again? Does relaxed hair look more "afro" when you're transitioning or due another perm?

i'm confused :ohwell:

Good question. If O is really a 4b I think its relaxed and air dryed like Mook pointed out. Unless someone else knows of a way a 4B can come out of the wash and look like this. if so, please do share and I'll do whatever you tell me to mine today!

Forgive me, because I didn't read completely through this thread either. But I was wondering about her natural (pre-pressed) hair too. It's still pretty straight before it's been pressed. My hair looks like that only after I've used a flat iron, like in my avi.

Is her hair damaged? I only flat iron my hair just to see the progress, because it's just not worth it when it still so puffy.

Back