Oprah and Andre After the Show

myco

Did anyone see Oprah after the Show yesterday? It was probably a rerun for most people. She and Andre were telling black audience members about not putting oil/grease on their hair because it weighs it down and how grease just clogs the hair follicles making the hair weaker. They said that washing and conditioning the hair more often was the key. A couple of people looked like they conditioned their hair occasionally, but they heat styled often. She also mentioned that to get the kind of movement that she has, your hair has to be blown really straight, but to only have that done by a professional, because of the high heat involved. Some of the audience members had a real hard time grasping the no oil/grease part. One lady said how her hair would break and fall out if she didn't put anything in her hair, and Oprah told her that her hair was still falling out when she put oils/grease on her hair. The major causes of hair breakage were styling abuse. Oiling and greasing the scalp were just old wives tales.

I thought it was really interesting how they reitererated a lot of the things we say all the time. I wouldn't necessarily advocate the frequent blowdrying though. But the next time, someone challenges our frequent washing idea, we can just tell them that Oprah agrees with us. Because if Oprah says it, it must be true.

I wish I saw this. Oprah can afford to have her looking amazing with Andre by her side though.

Its good to hear alot of the advice was stuff we talk about already. Did Andre himself give any other advice? any makeovers or do's and don'ts?

OMG, Imagine if he gave product recs., sales would sky rocket.

I love me some Oprah!

[ QUOTE ]
She also mentioned that to get the kind of movement that she has, your hair has to be blown really straight, but to only have that done by a professional, because of the high heat involved.

[/ QUOTE ]

but shouldn't this be cautioned because high heat is high heat whether or not you use it on your hair or if Jesus Himself had a stylists license and did it for you, right?

Yeah, wouldn't that be sweet. He did say not to blowdry too frequently. He only answered a couple of questions directly. Oprah kind of commanded the conversation. But he kept mentioning the washing and conditioning more frequently. He said that they use Phytospecific products on Oprah's hair. I think they sell those at places like Nordstrom and Neiman Marcus.

It's strange that she can use such high heat and still have healthy hair.

If the entire show or segment had been about ethnic hair, he probably could have given more info on that part besides don't do it too frequently. But she kind of dragged him from backstage to answer a couple of impromptu questions. I think Oprah got excited and just blurted that out. Somebody is going to be in a world of trouble getting their hair blowdried every couple of days. Every "professional" is not like Andre.

[ QUOTE ]
I love me some Oprah!

[ QUOTE ]
She also mentioned that to get the kind of movement that she has, your hair has to be blown really straight, but to only have that done by a professional, because of the high heat involved.

[/ QUOTE ]

but shouldn't this be cautioned because high heat is high heat whether or not you use it on your hair or if Jesus Himself had a stylists license and did it for you, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe by washing & conditioning more frequently, the high heat is as damaging. I know a lady who washes/conditions/hot rollers her hair everyday every since I've been a little girl and she has thick healthy shiny hair.

Oops! Meant to say "the high heat isn't as damaging."
wave.gif

I haven't seen the show. But I saw a commercial for it. Oprah told a story about running into the some fans who thought she was trying to disguise herself and be "in cognito". Oprah said, "No, I just did my own hair today."
rofl.gif

She probably gets away with the frequent blowdrying because she shampoos more ...which I find is keeping my hair from drying out. My hair is actually drier when I go more than 2 days without shampooing. That along with her ends being trimmed by Andre frquently. I still wouldn't blowdry as often. When I want my hair straight now I just air dry than flatiron ..of course she doesn't have the time to do that.

Good question. In his book (or maybe he mentioned it on her show...) Andre is against so called "heat protectants". He says all they do is help to fry the hair even faster.
confused.gif

But her hair looks too healthy to be blow dried every couple of days w/o any kind of protection...

I recall from an old magazine article that Andre uses a "good protein shampoo" and a "good moizturizing conditioner". He also went on to say that a good conditioner can forgive many sins. Unfortunately, he didn't say what products he uses. I think the reasoning was because the frequent washing and conditioning is continually putting mositure back into the hair or something like that. I'll have to see if I can dig up that article.

I read that Oprah uses Phytospecific products. The only store I was able to find these products was one of the Sephora's in Times Square and Bergdorff Goodman. And for sure, you will be spending plenty of money. I have one of the conditioners and it was $30

[ QUOTE ]
Oprah's hair is the BOMB, its always bouncy and shiny, i wonder what relaxer she uses.

[/ QUOTE ]

She's natural which is probably also the reason why she can get a blow-dry everyday.

I like Oprah's hair also and everyone on this site knows from experience that washing and conditioning more helps the hair grow and makes it healthy even if we do put oils on our hair. I know the oil that I use doesn't weigh my hair down it helps in making my hair soft. We all know what works for some won't work for others. At least we know that we're doing something right since Andre said it. I still don't think I could blow dry my hair everyday even if I was going to a professional.

When they mean greasing the scalp, they mean petrolatum products not blends of coconut/jojoba/primrose or essential oils??

[ QUOTE ]
I love me some Oprah!

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[/ QUOTE ] lol jesus your personal lord and hair savior omg rofl! but ne way i know it's dangerous for your hair but i would love to have body like that. her hair just "moves", ya know? does ne one know if oprah has a perm?

[ QUOTE ]
She's natural which is probably also the reason why she can get a blow-dry everyday.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? I had no idea. I thought she had a relaxer. Truly, her hair is the bomb, always has been. Oprah can have that blinging hair - she can afford to pay someone like Andre to handle her hair every day.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Oprah's hair is the BOMB, its always bouncy and shiny, i wonder what relaxer she uses.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm confused now...I could've sworn that in his book, Andre stated that Oprah's hair was relaxed?

[ QUOTE ]
When they mean greasing the scalp, they mean petrolatum products not blends of coconut/jojoba/primrose or essential oils??

[/ QUOTE ]

It sounded as though they meant nothing, nada!

Oprah is not natural...she has a relaxer. She actually washes and conditions her own hair and she usually goes to the studio with conditioner in her hair and Andre takes over from there.

Now on special occasions, he does the whole package.

yeah, they didn't differentiate. She did specifically mention bergamot and a couple of other traditional greases.

Maybe on a longer segment, they could have been more thorough.

A show on black hair care and beauty tips would be fantastic.

Mikki Taylor(Essence Beauty Editor), has a great beauty book out and she was supposed to be featured on Oprah but it fell through.

I heard through the grapevine that it was because Oprah didn't like the pictures of her in the book.

I like the book, it has the latest advice and great makeup tips that I used and got compliments from a MAC makeup artist...

I had to look that one up!
laugh.gif

In his book (page 97) Andre says he relaxes Oprah's hair every 5-6 weeks.
ohwell.gif
The book is old, though...

She did say on one of her shows that she will go natural when she is no longer working in front of the camera.

Back