OMG!!!! THE CREAMY CRACK IS TEMPTING ME RIGHT NOW. HELLLPPPPP!!!!!!!

GL925

Here's the story:

MY last relaxer was on February of this year. I chopped of most of the relaxed ends @ the end of May & got some senegalese twists put in. This was my transitioning style. Fast forward to last week monday, I took those twists out. I washed, conditioned, cut off all the relaxed ends & moisurized my hair.

Once my hair dried I was astonished. My hair was ridiculously dry. I MEAN RIDICULOUS. It didn't look good @ all. I kept moisturizing it & it would just dry up minutes later.

While I was taking out my twists, my hair was moisturized. I oiled my scalp with the beemine serum every other day so my hair & scalp we're well moisturized while in twists.

I almost ran & relaxed my TWA. I got nervous. Im afraid I won't be able to handle my natural hair if it stays dry like this. I HAVE 4b hair.

All my 4b hair ladies, what moisturizer works best for you?

If you transitioned from relaxed to natural, was dry hair an issue?

I appreciate any advice you may have. Thanks in advance.

I big chopped to a twa and dryness was an issue.Deep condition more,baggy and moisturise more.Taliah Wajid Mist bodifier helps for moisturising .HHG.

Massage your scalp nightly and apply your oils warm. Pull through to the ends. Up your intake of water and see in a week or so if this helps. Also, drink a tsp. daily of evoo or coconut oil, some kind of natural oil or take omega capsules. That might be the problem.

What products do you use to wash your hair? As a natural, sometimes the products used on relaxed do not work well with natural hair. One thing to remember that sulfate laden shampoos are drying to natural hair. We need more info on your regimen to help you.

I have 4b hair and have tried everything. I have come to the realization that 4B hair doesn't have that "shine". It just looks ashy and dry although it maybe moisturized. Try everything you can to get the "shine" your looking for before you decide to relax but ultimately do what makes you happy.
Good luck

OP, what products are you using to moisturize? Creamy products, butters, EVOO...all make my hair hard. Yes, they feel good on application but dry hard. Maybe your products of choice are the problem.

Is the Beemine serum the one that has sulphur in it? If so, that could be contributing to dryness if got to your hair from your scalp.

I would sleep with my head saturated in a moisturizing DC mixed with honey and oil, under a plastic cap. HTH

Do you know what the texture and porosity of your hair is, not the curl pattern? I'm asking b/c that can help you find what products work for your hair better. For instance, my hair is very thick, and has all 3 textures (fine, med, coarse), and I always thought that I needed the heaviest products on my resilient hair. However, I learned that my hair is low porosity, so lighter, water based products work better on my hair b/c it has a hard time absorbing moisture. I only use butters on dry hair now.

Your hair probably won't stay dry like that, especially as you continue on your chemical-free hair journey. If you decide to relax, it's okay. But I wish that someone had taken my keys last year when I was in your shoes. Are you able to safely flat iron or weave it?

I relaxed my 4b/4a hair in January of 09 because it was surprisingly dry. I'm really not sure why it was SO dry, I haven't changed much of what I do, but maybe that day I forgot something (I was at home on college break). I suspect that the dryer I used caused my hair to feel rough.
Right now, my hair feels amazing. I did a sour cream and lemon treatment yesterday. :)

I wash with Hair One Moisturizing Cleanser every 7-10 days and co-wash every 3-4 days. I co-wash using either Suave Almond and Shea Butter mixed with EVOO or Giovanni 50/50 and Smooth as Silk (I only use the Smooth as Silk when I'd like a little protein). I usually put my hair into twists or braids and let it air dry to about 40%. Then I blowdry my hair with a FHI Nano Salon Pro 2000 dryer and a comb attachment if I'll be wearing a straight style. I used to use a pretty decent Revlon dryer, but I can feel the difference with the FHI dryer.

I use Jane Carter's Ultra Nourish and Leave-In (now found at some Targets) on my hair and water it almost every day, either with bottled water and fresh aloe gel or bottled water and Aussie Hair Insurance (hmmm...maybe that's made a difference in my hair, too). I try to keep my ends hidden or baggied under a kinky phony pony.

Sour Cream and Lemon recipe. I know this is on the forum somewhere. You just get one large lemon, cut it into fourths, microwave it or steam it just a little, and squeeze the juice (careful, it may be hot to the touch) into a small container of regular sour cream. The mixture should be thick enough to stay on your hair like a relaxer would. I spray my hair with Aussie Hair Insurance because I LOVE water and Aloe. I put a plastic bag over it and go about my business. Rinse it out and then put in a moisturizing conditioner. I used Asussie 3-Minute Miracle, mixed with Giovanni Smother as Silk, and EVOO because I was short on time and conditioner. I put a bag on and left it on for about 45 minutes. Rinsed, air dried, blow dried, and ran away from my grandmother as she chased me with petroleum and a straightening comb.

Last time I left the sour cream and lemon mixture on for about 6 hours because I got really busy running errands (I wore a scarf that matched my outfit).

I would style your hair and then wait a week before deciding on whether or not to relax it. I totally regret my relaxer, instead of having shoulder length hair, I could have APL hair! So...just a warning.

Good luck!

maybe whatever moisturizer you are using just isnt for your hair.
maybe you need to clarify and then do a moisturizing treatment mixed with honey and oils overnight. in the morning conditioner wash it out with another moisture deep conditioner and then use a leave in cream, and then seal it in with oil or a butter.

just because you moisturize your hair doesnt mean your hair likes that product.

or you can deep condition, moisturize and seal and then if your hair is long enough, put in some twists with your own hair.

beemine serum
I do not know any thing about this product or aloe juice, so I could be completely off, but the little I could find about the ingredients indicates to me that it is not a moisturizer.

Below is the only ingredient list I could find and I do not see water listed. Therefor, your hair is probably dry because it was not receiving any moisture, being moisturized, while it was in the twists. You probably would benefit from weekly deep conditioning and daily moisturizing with a leave-in or moisturizer listing water as the #1 or #2 ingredient or using a conditioner as a leave in on wet hair and sealing in the moisture.

Aloe barbadensis (Organic Aloe) Juice, Lavendula angustifolia (Organic Lavender) Distillate, Anthemis nobilis (Organic Roman Chamomile) Distillate, Cetearyl Alcohol(vegetable-based emulsifier), Ricinus communis (Castor Seed) Oil, Avocado Butter, Avocado Oil, Stearalkonium Chloride, Phenoxyethanol, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, d-Calcium Pantothenate (Panthenol Vitamin B5), Panthenol (Vitamin B Complex), Tocopherol (Vitamin E), Kosher Vegetable Glycerin, Rosa mosqueta (Rosehip) Seed Oil, Salix nigra (Organic Black Willow Bark) Extract, Fragranc

Last edited:
Here's the story:

MY last relaxer was on February of this year. I chopped of most of the relaxed ends @ the end of May & got some senegalese twists put in. This was my transitioning style. Fast forward to last week monday, I took those twists out. I washed, conditioned, cut off all the relaxed ends & moisurized my hair.

Once my hair dried I was astonished. My hair was ridiculously dry. I MEAN RIDICULOUS. It didn't look good @ all. I kept moisturizing it & it would just dry up minutes later.

While I was taking out my twists, my hair was moisturized. I oiled my scalp with the beemine serum every other day so my hair & scalp we're well moisturized while in twists.

I almost ran & relaxed my TWA. I got nervous. Im afraid I won't be able to handle my natural hair if it stays dry like this. I HAVE 4b hair.

All my 4b hair ladies, what moisturizer works best for you?

If you transitioned from relaxed to natural, was dry hair an issue?

I appreciate any advice you may have. Thanks in advance.

Like the other ladies have mentioned before, the type of products that you are using for your hair makes all the difference. Oil do not moisturize your hair, but they do seal the moisture in.

Hair4romhevan, 4b hair is able to shine, you just have to use the right products and techniques.

i have very thick course 4b hair and im transitiong (almost 5 months) but maybe this will help...i cowashed yesterday then i lightly sprayed my roots with s curl and used a little of qhemets hydrating balm and little of the alma and olive heavy cream on the length and sealed with coconut oil. this is the first time that my hair hasnt felt dry the next day. HTH!!

if you decide to try qhemets and only get 1 def get the heavy cream its awsome!!!

I don't use any shampoos containing sulfate. I use his organic shampoo that containes biotin. I can't remember the name. I let you know when u get home. I use aphogee 2 min reconstructor & mail & tail conditioner. I use tha alter evo nourishing spa leave in conditioner & beemine serum to moisturize my scalp & hair.

I big chopped to a twa and dryness was an issue.Deep condition more,baggy and moisturise more.Taliah Wajid Mist bodifier helps for moisturising .HHG.

I agree w/deep conditioning and the Taliah Wajid works great on my hair as a moisturizer.

I don't use any shampoos containing sulfate. I use his organic shampoo that containes biotin. I can't remember the name. I let you know when u get home. I use aphogee 2 min reconstructor & mail & tail conditioner. I use tha alter evo nourishing spa leave in conditioner & beemine serum to moisturize my scalp & hair.

Even organic shampoos can be drying, you need to make sure are using a poo that is right fo ryour hair. You may be using the aphogee too often , most natural hair doesn't tend to need alot of protein. I would suggest a good moisturizing dc followed by a moisturizing leave-in. I personally like Hairveda conditioners.

EtherealEnigma,
I haven't tried to flat iron it yet. I want it to be longer. I can definitely weave it. I'll probably braid it again.

I hear such good things on qhemet products. I have to give that a try.

I'll also incorporate more water based products like lovegymnasts recommended. That makes a lot of sense.

Most 4b hair is fine, that's why I was asking!! But if it's coarse, you seem to be using a lot of protein and that's a no no!!! That will make your hair dry and brittle.

I'll limit my use of protein. I feel like im back to square one now. I don't know where to begin.

Even organic shampoos can be drying, you need to make sure are using a poo that is right fo ryour hair. You may be using the aphogee too often , most natural hair doesn't tend to need alot of protein. I would suggest a good moisturizing dc followed by a moisturizing leave-in. I personally like Hairveda conditioners.

Ms Lala beat me to it. One of the AO shampoos left a weird coating/film on my hair that gave it a grayish hue. Creme of Nature, a popular shampoo on hair boards, left the same same weird coating/film on my hair and my hair would dry hard after using it. Giovanni shampoos don't seem to have this effect, nor do sulphate shampoos. So you do indeed have to try different shampoos and not limit yourselves to just what is popular or sounds good.

from your post I get the feeling that you have not had much "personal time" with ur natural hair. By that I mean its been in braids for most of your transition and the first time u really got an intro to ur new hair (without the natural ends) was this last wash ?

Im suggesting that you take a week (if possible) if not then a weekend and try out some products and techniques on your hair.

I didnt transition so when I BCd I had abt 0.25 - 0.5 inch of hair which behaved well for maybe the first month but then started to act the fool for a good 2 - 3 months while I "trial and errored (sp)"

you've got some great advice here but everones hair is different so you may have to do your own trials to find what works best for your hair.

what works for me is sulphate free poos, glycerine prods ( ie: S curl, hawiian silky 14in1) and ceramide oils (wheat germ and hemp seed) for sealing :yep:

hope you find a system that works for you

from your post I get the feeling that you have not had much "personal time" with ur natural hair. By that I mean its been in braids for most of your transition and the first time u really got an intro to ur new hair (without the natural ends) was this last wash ?

Im suggesting that you take a week (if possible) if not then a weekend and try out some products and techniques on your hair.

I didnt transition so when I BCd I had abt 0.25 - 0.5 inch of hair which behaved well for maybe the first month but then started to act the fool for a good 2 - 3 months while I "trial and errored (sp)"

you've got some great advice here but everones hair is different so you may have to do your own trials to find what works best for your hair.

what works for me is sulphate free poos, glycerine prods ( ie: S curl, hawiian silky 14in1) and ceramide oils (wheat germ and hemp seed) for sealing :yep:

hope you find a system that works for you

You are sooooo right. I do need more personal time with my hair & now I have to begin my trial & error phase. I hope I find a solution that works.

Back