OMG!!!! THE CREAMY CRACK IS TEMPTING ME RIGHT NOW. HELLLPPPPP!!!!!!!

I agree w/deep conditioning and the Taliah Wajid works great on my hair as a moisturizer.

Even organic shampoos can be drying, you need to make sure are using a poo that is right fo ryour hair. You may be using the aphogee too often , most natural hair doesn't tend to need alot of protein. I would suggest a good moisturizing dc followed by a moisturizing leave-in. I personally like Hairveda conditioners.

I just viewed your album, you have BEAUTIFUL hair. I hope one day I can have hair like yours!!! My Official Hair Idol.

OMG I'm so here right now. I have been seriously thinkking about relaxing my hair. I got my hair done on Wednesday, it felt INCREDIBLE it was like a wig!! I've never had my hair feel so GOOD! well anywho, walked outside to my car, went straight to the gas station and my hair is swelling up. I could instantly feel the difference because although it still moved like crazy it didnt have that weight to it. And now today on Monday its just an afro with straight ends :(. 45 buckaroos down the can. I have seriously been thinking about this but I feel guilty lol. what to do what to do???

OMG I'm so here right now. I have been seriously thinkking about relaxing my hair. I got my hair done on Wednesday, it felt INCREDIBLE it was like a wig!! I've never had my hair feel so GOOD! well anywho, walked outside to my car, went straight to the gas station and my hair is swelling up. I could instantly feel the difference because although it still moved like crazy it didnt have that weight to it. And now today on Monday its just an afro with straight ends :(. 45 buckaroos down the can. I have seriously been thinking about this but I feel guilty lol. what to do what to do???

We're on the same boat.

You are where I was just a couple of months ago. My mostly 4b hair scared the mess out of me after I took out my first PS weave post BC. The poster who advised that you get to know your hair is RIGHT on point. I'd always weaved and braided my hair, even when relaxed, so I had no idea how to deal with my natural hair. In this case, trial and error is your best friend. You have to get to know what your hair likes and dislikes...once this happens, the rest is easy sailing.

I'll post my current regimen below....I'm also posting the reasons for each part so you can see any similar themes with your own hair:

*Co-wash 2x per week with Suave Humectant mixed with honey, CO & EVOO- My primary hair issue is dryness, so I've foumd that regular conditioning, even super moisturizing ones, aren't enough to combat my dryness problem. I need to add the oils and honey and they do the trick perfectly.

*Moisturize with water/glycerin/aloe vera juice/CO juice spray as needed (1-2x per day)- again, to combat dryness

*DC weekly with the same co-wash mix indicated above, under 45-60 minutes of hooded dryer heat- I was perusing the "Ask a WL and Beyond Lady" thread, and one of the lovely ladies recommended using the same condish you use to co-wash as a DC. Why fix what ain't broken? I've been very pleased since I've started this.

*Only comb when I DC- To minimize breakage

*Use "kimmaytube" leave in (Knot today Detangling/Leave-in Conditioner, jojoba oil, CO, aloe vera juice), after each co-wash and DC- once again, this also helps to keep my dryness in check. This leave in is one of those things you have to try to understand how much of a miracle it is. Makes my hair feel WONDERFUL. I believe it is the most important part of my regimen.

*Seal with castor oil after I co-wash, DC, or thoroughly wet my hair- since type 4 hair is prone to dryness, I think this is a must-do step for our hair. We have to keep as much moisture in our hair as we can. Its taken a lot of trial and error, but I think I've found an application method that keeps me moisturized without the greasy feeling. I 1st put about a quarter size amount of CO in my palm and rub it in both hands from palm to finger tip. I then rub my hands into my hair in sections. After that, I taken even smaller sections (maybe 10-12 all over my head) and concentrate on applying the CO just to the ends. I was seeing split ends and some breakage before I started focusing on my saturating my ends when sealing, but since, virtually no breakage at all.

*Poo as needed (1x every 4-6 weeks, maybe?)- I've learned that my hair is not a fan of shampoos, even the so-called moisturizing ones. Actually I've only shampooed at all in the last 2-3 months bc I've been swimming with my DDs all summer. If it wasn't for that, I think I could go without. We'll see how the fall and winter go.

*Protein DC with yogurt/mayonaisse/1 egg/honey mix every 6-8 weeks- Bc I'm so prone to dryness, I used to think I was one of those naturals who didn't need protein. Not true. My hair doesn't feel mushy when it needs protein.....the strands just don't feel as strong and resilent as they normally do. I immediately follow up this protein DC with my regular mosturizing DC.

*When I first took out my PC weave at the beginning of July, I wore my hair completely out in an afro. I did this in part because I was experimenting with styles, and because this was the best way to try different products and regimens. Now that my hair and I have a better relationship, I realize, mainly for my ends, I have to wear more PSs. For the last weeks, I have been wearing mini-braids (using my own hair). It took me about 6 hours to put in, but they make all of the above so easy to do every week. NO breakage whatsoever since I've put them in, and they seem to be helping me retain more moisture. So far, I've curled them with rods, pinned the sides down and down a modified mohawk bang, and just let them be and decorated them with a bow or flower. Very cute, if I must say so myself lol. Anyway, the point is to find a PS you can live with that will still give you access to your hair during this trial and error phase.

Sorry for the long post, I just wanted to be as helpful as the wonderful ladies on here who've been so great about giving me tips and advice. Hope you find something here helpful lol.

You are sooooo right. I do need more personal time with my hair & now I have to begin my trial & error phase. I hope I find a solution that works.

Just popping in to wish you good luck. Stick with it and you'll work something out. I like the one-week rule: whenever my hair is being impossible and I feel tempted to take some hard-to-undo step, I give myself one week to work with it, trying different things, and wear kicked up make-up and fly earrings for that one week.

beemine serum
I do not know any thing about this product or aloe juice, so I could be completely off, but the little I could find about the ingredients indicates to me that it is not a moisturizer.

Below is the only ingredient list I could find and I do not see water listed. Therefor, your hair is probably dry because it was not receiving any moisture, being moisturized, while it was in the twists. You probably would benefit from weekly deep conditioning and daily moisturizing with a leave-in or moisturizer listing water as the #1 or #2 ingredient or using a conditioner as a leave in on wet hair and sealing in the moisture.

Aloe barbadensis (Organic Aloe) Juice, Lavendula angustifolia (Organic Lavender) Distillate, Anthemis nobilis (Organic Roman Chamomile) Distillate, Cetearyl Alcohol(vegetable-based emulsifier), Ricinus communis (Castor Seed) Oil, Avocado Butter, Avocado Oil, Stearalkonium Chloride, Phenoxyethanol, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, d-Calcium Pantothenate (Panthenol Vitamin B5), Panthenol (Vitamin B Complex), Tocopherol (Vitamin E), Kosher Vegetable Glycerin, Rosa mosqueta (Rosehip) Seed Oil, Salix nigra (Organic Black Willow Bark) Extract, Fragranc

If I'm not mistaken, Aloe Vera is a protein. I agree with what lovegymnasts says above, your hair hasn't been getting much moisture, at all.

Thank you all soooooooo much. I will keep you guys posted on everything I try & what results it gave me. Trial & error time. :-)

Back