!!! OMG! I can't stand my hair! ugh !!!

Extremus

<rant> My hair is madd whack right now! :mad: I can never get it straighten (roots) on my own! Its been a year + now, and can't flat-iron worth a :censored:! Ever since I've been doing this hair journey, a relaxer is the only thing that's been able to get my roots straight and my hair shiny! Oh, and that's another thing! This dull ass hair! :swearing: :wallbash: No matter how little of a product I put in my hair, it's so dry looking! It isn't dry, doesn't feel dry, it just looks dry as all get out! Plz don't let the pics fool you. That flash works wonders.:rolleyes: Oh and how about my hair being stiff on top of that! :rolleyes::wallbash::wallbash:</rant>

Now, before you suggest anything. Here's the thing I've tried:

root straightening

• rollersetting + blow out + saran wrap
  • blow dry + flat-ironing (Maxiglide -with and without teeth, FHI)
  • blow dry + flat iron + saran wrap
I don't know why my new growth is so resistant to heat. I mean, my relaxed hair gets straight (of course:rolleyes:), but this new growth is something else :nono::nono:

shine

• chi silk infusion
  • coconut oil
  • vitapointe
  • biosilk
  • fx effect silk drops

• clear rinses (john frieda clear glaze, adore crystal clear)
Before LHCF, I use to have shiny hair, but it was paired with stiff hair, because of so much product I had to put in it :ohwell:

stiffness (as far as flat ironing)
  • airdry + flat-iron
  • after a DC, w/o a leave-in, applying a dime size amount of serum (for the whole head)
  • spray heat protectants (without a leave-in)
I don't know if my hair is that thin, that it gets weighed down so fast, or what.

:help:

Have you tried saran wrap before you blow out? Also, for shine... pre-poosing with oil works wonders. Or even adding oil to your conditioner. Also, I've never tried sabino moisture block, but I've heard it does amazing things. Have you tried that? hth. By the way I think your hair looks beautiful in your siggy as well as your fotki. Yeah, I was all up in it.

Have you tried saran wrap before you blow out? Also, for shine... pre-poosing with oil works wonders. Or even adding oil to your conditioner. Also, I've never tried sabino moisture block, but I've heard it does amazing things. Have you tried that? hth. By the way I think your hair looks beautiful in your siggy as well as your fotki. Yeah, I was all up in it.

No to the bolded :perplexed

Thanks, see the pics have everybody fooled...I don't even get compliments/comments on my hair IRL :nono: so that tells you it not really poppin :lol:

what temperature is the flat iron on and what is your actual flat iron technique?

On the FHI, it was between 300 and 370, it's not digital so I can't tell exactly what temp it is

Maxglide- I've tried settings 3-5. Anything past that is too hot to touch.

Technique- small sections at a time (1/2" x 1/2"), close to the roots as possible, and then flat-iron going up and then down, if that makes sense :perplexed. It leaves a hump at the root. I hope you can understand what flat-iron I'm talking about :ohwell:

You might need to clarify your hair, one time i was having problem with dry looking hair and it seem like the more i condition it the drier it got. But after i clarify my hair it became soft and shiny again. Now as far as getting your hair straighter i really dont know.

Mev

:scratchchWhat are you DC'ing with?

main ones are:

ORS Replenshing Pak
Redken Smooth Down Heavy Cream
KeraCare Humecto
NTM Hair Mask

protein
Aphogee 2 min reconstructor

my hair just feels so coated after rinsing the DC out, especially in the new growth, like my "natural" hair holds more moisture or something :ohwell:

You might need to clarify your hair, one time i was having problem with dry looking hair and it seem like the more i condition it the drier it got. But after i clarify my hair it became soft and shiny again. Now as far as getting your hair straighter i really dont know.

Mev

I clarify every 2 weeks tho :ohwell: (use to be every week :look:) Is that the problem? Product can build up fast on my hair :nono:

main ones are:

ORS Replenshing Pak
Redken Smooth Down Heavy Cream
KeraCare Humecto
NTM Hair Mask

protein
Aphogee 2 min reconstructor

my hair just feels so coated after rinsing the DC out, especially in the new growth, like my "natural" hair holds more moisture or something :ohwell:
Sounds like you need a clean slate.Have you tried clarifying it?Do you have hard water in your area?Also,do you DC with heat?

I'm sorry you're frustrated. I was just looking at your album this morning and I love your hair!! I hope you get this current hair situation worked out.

Sounds like you need a clean slate.Have you tried clarifying it?Do you have hard water in your area?Also,do you DC with heat?

Have you tried clarifying it?
frequently :yep:

Do you have hard water in your area?
I'm not sure. :perplexed

Also,do you DC with heat?
Yes, sometime w/, sometime w/o

Whats up E.Will...if your hair feels coated when you rinse out your conditioner, you might want to try something different.

Whats up E.Will...if your hair feels coated when you rinse out your conditioner, you might want to try something different.

hey, gymfreak! :wave:

damn, well that means almost all of my conditioners :ohwell: well, that gives me a reason to go shopping :grinwink:

Have you tried clarifying it?
frequently :yep:

Do you have hard water in your area?
I'm not sure. :perplexed

Also,do you DC with heat?
Yes, sometime w/, sometime w/o
I would try a new poo and a new DC(with heat for atleast 20 minutes after you shampoo it).I like Paul Mitchell shampoo 3.

hey, gymfreak! :wave:

damn, well that means almost all of my conditioners :ohwell: well, that gives me a reason to go shopping :grinwink:

I actually think our hair is similar. It can get dry but it still easily weighed down. Artemis put me on to Paul Mitchel Supercharged which is a great moisturizing conditioner. You can find the small trial sizes at ulta.

I would try a new poo and a new DC(with heat for atleast 20 minutes after you shampoo it).I like Paul Mitchell shampoo 3.

I actually think our hair is similar. It can get dry but it still easily weighed down. Artemis put me on to Paul Mitchel Supercharged which is a great moisturizing conditioner. You can find the small trial sizes at ulta.

Ok, cool!....I have a reason to buy new products! :yay:

I was just eyeing some Paul Mitchell today, what a coincidence :)

What shampoo do you use Gym? I thought CON was what's up, I loved it. Guess I was wrong:ohwell:

Ok, cool!....I have a reason to buy new products! :yay:

I was just eyeing some Paul Mitchell today, what a coincidence :)

Maybe you can try one new product in your rotation and take something out so that you can see what product is not truely doing you justice. I don't want you to end up with a ton of stuff and not know what is really helping or hurting.

Maybe you can try one new product in your rotation and take something out so that you can see what product is not truely doing you justice. I don't want you to end up with a ton of stuff and not know what is really helping or hurting.

You're right! :yep: Got a lil carried away with my PJism :drunk:

Good lookin' out!

You know E, I really now endorse :look: Silk Elements Mega Silk Conditioning Treatment... Even the olive oil one is amazing too. My hair is SO INCREDIBLY moisturized from that stuff it's insane. Like I no longer really moisturize/seal at all during the week. And the shine I get is really incredible, like no need for serum shine. I use it with heat for my DC 2x a week, I haven't been disappointed yet. It is now a staple for me.

You know E, I really now endorse :look: Silk Elements Mega Silk Conditioning Treatment... Even the olive oil one is amazing too. My hair is SO INCREDIBLY moisturized from that stuff it's insane. Like I no longer really moisturize/seal at all during the week. And the shine I get is really incredible, like no need for serum shine. I use it with heat for my DC 2x a week, I haven't been disappointed yet. It is now a staple for me.

I'ma have to take your advice on the airdry + denman brush + flat ironing tip too.

I have some suggestions:

-Pre-poo with a hot oil treatment. My hair comes out very shiny if I do that.
-Flat iron your roots while gently pulling them taut. When I did that, my new growth straightened very well. Folks were asking if I just got a touch-up (they couldn't see my edges, LOL).

On the FHI, it was between 300 and 370, it's not digital so I can't tell exactly what temp it is

Maxglide- I've tried settings 3-5. Anything past that is too hot to touch.

Technique- small sections at a time (1/2" x 1/2"), close to the roots as possible, and then flat-iron going up and then down, if that makes sense :perplexed. It leaves a hump at the root. I hope you can understand what flat-iron I'm talking about :ohwell:

when i flat iron my roots, I leave it on the root are for a slow count of about 3 seconds then I go down the hair shaft, sometimes I will repeat the first step (a slow count on 2-3 seconds just on the roots without going down the shaft again. Also, I also like to make sure it's on the right temperature to get the job done, keeping it on a temperature that is too low for you hair type is a waste of time, IMO, you may find that you need to bump up the temp if all of these suggestions don't work

i just wanna say that straight hair pic at the bottom right of ur siggy looks GORGEOUS - OMG. I have issues with my roots also, so besides BURNING the crap out of them in the salon, i have no advice, but good luck. let us know things work out.

A relaxer change might help. I know tons of people have seen me going around screaming about that little-known Linange relaxer, but it's great. The biggest benefit is the condition of your hair afterward.

The bit of my hair relaxed with it is always silkier and retains moisture than the rest of my hair, even my current roots (which one would think would be newest and would thus do best, right?), which were relaxed with Affirm. Even when all of my hair is well moisturized, that bit is just always physically and visibly in better condition.

It also looks very shiny to the eye.

I know it would be a long time before you got a new touch up and trying new relaxers is risky business, but this is just food for thought.

IMO, relaxers helps set the base for the condition of the hair and type of haircare that is necessary, and for relaxed heads, making sure your relaxer is just right can really go a long way in affecting what your hair needs and how it behaves afterward, and make life easier for you. Plus give you a pretty head, lol.

ETA: I also forgot to ask, do you do regular protein treatments or use protein products, or does your hair not like protein? My hair looked dry for years, was hard for me to straighten (especially without stiffness), and so on until I began giving my hair the amount of protein it needed and then backing it up with protein. ((Also I just started all of this in the summer... the protein and switching my relaxer. I had good progress I wish I could show but I just dropped my camera and broke it this weekend, and how about my roommate's takes pics but can't be hooked up to a USB cable? Anyway, I will have pics soon to show how my hair has changed and grown.))

Let me know if any of this helped. :)

Last edited:
A relaxer change might help. I know tons of people have seen me going around screaming about that little-known Linange relaxer, but it's great. The biggest benefit is the condition of your hair afterward.

The bit of my hair relaxed with it is always silkier and retains moisture than the rest of my hair, even my current roots (which one would think would be newest and would thus do best, right?), which were relaxed with Affirm. Even when all of my hair is well moisturized, that bit is just always physically and visibly in better condition.

It also looks very shiny to the eye.

I know it would be a long time before you got a new touch up and trying new relaxers is risky business, but this is just food for thought.

IMO, relaxers helps set the base for the condition of the hair and type of haircare that is necessary, and for relaxed heads, making sure your relaxer is just right can really go a long way in affecting what your hair needs and how it behaves afterward, and make life easier for you. Plus give you a pretty head, lol.

ETA: I also forgot to ask, do you do regular protein treatments or use protein products, or does your hair not like protein? My hair looked dry for years, was hard for me to straighten (especially without stiffness), and so on until I began giving my hair the amount of protein it needed and then backing it up with protein. ((Also I just started all of this in the summer... the protein and switching my relaxer. I had good progress I wish I could show but I just dropped my camera and broke it this weekend, and how about my roommate's takes pics but can't be hooked up to a USB cable? Anyway, I will have pics soon to show how my hair has changed and grown.))

Let me know if any of this helped. :)

You got a good point.

I keep trying to work up some sympathy but your hair is just to pretty.

I'll keep trying... :wink2:

Back