!!! OMG! I can't stand my hair! ugh !!!

when i flat iron my roots, I leave it on the root are for a slow count of about 3 seconds then I go down the hair shaft, sometimes I will repeat the first step (a slow count on 2-3 seconds just on the roots without going down the shaft again. Also, I also like to make sure it's on the right temperature to get the job done, keeping it on a temperature that is too low for you hair type is a waste of time, IMO, you may find that you need to bump up the temp if all of these suggestions don't work

When I do this, my scalp is burning and my roots still aren't straight :perplexed

i just wanna say that straight hair pic at the bottom right of ur siggy looks GORGEOUS - OMG. I have issues with my roots also, so besides BURNING the crap out of them in the salon, i have no advice, but good luck. let us know things work out.

see, that was right after a relaxer :sad:

I keep trying to work up some sympathy but your hair is just to pretty.

I'll keep trying... :wink2:

:blush::lachen:

A relaxer change might help. I know tons of people have seen me going around screaming about that little-known Linange relaxer, but it's great. The biggest benefit is the condition of your hair afterward.

The bit of my hair relaxed with it is always silkier and retains moisture than the rest of my hair, even my current roots (which one would think would be newest and would thus do best, right?), which were relaxed with Affirm. Even when all of my hair is well moisturized, that bit is just always physically and visibly in better condition.

It also looks very shiny to the eye.

I know it would be a long time before you got a new touch up and trying new relaxers is risky business, but this is just food for thought.

IMO, relaxers helps set the base for the condition of the hair and type of haircare that is necessary, and for relaxed heads, making sure your relaxer is just right can really go a long way in affecting what your hair needs and how it behaves afterward, and make life easier for you. Plus give you a pretty head, lol.

ETA: I also forgot to ask, do you do regular protein treatments or use protein products, or does your hair not like protein? My hair looked dry for years, was hard for me to straighten (especially without stiffness), and so on until I began giving my hair the amount of protein it needed and then backing it up with protein. ((Also I just started all of this in the summer... the protein and switching my relaxer. I had good progress I wish I could show but I just dropped my camera and broke it this weekend, and how about my roommate's takes pics but can't be hooked up to a USB cable? Anyway, I will have pics soon to show how my hair has changed and grown.))

Let me know if any of this helped. :)

You got a good point.

So are ya'll saying that the type of relaxer can affect the condition of the hair that grows out my scalp? basically, it can produce better/manageable/healthier scab hair?

or am I way off? :confused:

I hope that makes sense

ETA: Oh yea, about the protein, I do a protein (light) treatment every week or two w/ a DC afterwards.

Last edited:
My hair has alot of the same problems. I've been working at this since jan 2006 :nono:

First its very fine.

It doesnt have any weight to swang or have body.
Its version of that is fluffy or wispy and light...airy

Other than that its flat,

or stiff if i use too much product.

(This fine hair thing is something I dont think can be fixed, just have to work with it :nono:)

Its also very coarse so without the right products and regimen it can be rough, dry/pourus, tangly, and dull.

So First I had to find the right products/regmin.
I relax, color, and protien treatment every 8 weeks for the newgrowth, color it black so it will look better and have the possibity to shine better, and a hard protien treatment now because my hair seems to like moisture most of the time.
Also when Im at my goal I will trim every 8 weeks because I think that really makes a difference.

Then Every week
Cream of nature/Elasta Qo shampoo because its very moistuirzing and detangling, ORS replenish or Silicon Mix....Conditoners dont really work for me all the other ones would get a 0 out of 1-10, but these get like 7 in comparison. ROUX POROSITY, this will really help with stiffness, plus it has very small shimmer in it (to me it looks like it does) that seems to make your hair shine, then Beyond the Zone clear. I think that product has given me the best shine possible. (Oil rinsing is also okay for me)

Then I had to find the right products to put in my hair wet and determine how to dry it so that its not stiff, but stays moisturized and detangled and shiny, and with as much "body" and "unflat" as possible.
This has been the hardest! :wallbash: :wallbash:

Carefree/Scurl--This is for airdried hair. It makes my hair wonderfull, but you can really style it. If I use just enough my hair is like a big silky blowdry (Like lloyd), If I use to much its flat (like a babys hair :nono:) Its never greasy though.

For straight hair though

Wild growth oil
Pressing oil
Sabino/Keracare Silken Seal
A Foam

Airdry either a bun with a mens wave cap or bantu knots then iron

Blowdry, then pincurl

Domedryers, they arent good when I use them. I either dont use the right products, comb smooth enough, stay under long enough, or have the right type. My hair is always more rough looking and feels alittle hard.

With airdrying then ironing I either put nothing on it and let it airdry (exept alittle oil) then pressing oil each section and iron. The pressing oil leaves my hair feeling silky, and it gives it a shine, and this lasts for awhile. Without it my hair is rough. The smaller the sections done the better for me.
Or wildgrowth oil on hair, airdry either straight or bantu knots, and iron maybe. The wildgrowth oil gives it a good feel and shine that lasts long also, it just doesnt smell all that.

With the blowdrying I just use a foam (keracare), or I've used keracare silkenseal or sabino for heat protection. They dont seem to make much of a difference.
Maybe add alittle oil
Blowdry
Deffinatly alittle oil to each section, pincurl, mens cap.

The blowdrying and pincurling allows my hair to be light, but it gives it shape so its not wisping around

The airdrying and flatiron makes it more flat.

When I do this, my scalp is burning and my roots still aren't straight :perplexed

see, that was right after a relaxer :sad:

:blush::lachen:

So are ya'll saying that the type of relaxer can affect the condition of the hair that grows out my scalp? basically, it can produce better/manageable/healthier scab hair?

or am I way off? :confused:

I hope that makes sense

I don't think that is what they are saying. In addition to the problem you are having with your roots, you said that your hair in general is dry and blah looking so I think they are just saying you may need a new relaxer, I don't think they are referring to scab hair or anything, just your hair in general. I hope you figure things out and I wish I could see your hair in person because your pics really are to die for, I have always drooled over your siggy pics:yep:.

A relaxer change might help. I know tons of people have seen me going around screaming about that little-known Linange relaxer, but it's great. The biggest benefit is the condition of your hair afterward.

The bit of my hair relaxed with it is always silkier and retains moisture than the rest of my hair, even my current roots (which one would think would be newest and would thus do best, right?), which were relaxed with Affirm. Even when all of my hair is well moisturized, that bit is just always physically and visibly in better condition.

It also looks very shiny to the eye.

I know it would be a long time before you got a new touch up and trying new relaxers is risky business, but this is just food for thought.

IMO, relaxers helps set the base for the condition of the hair and type of haircare that is necessary, and for relaxed heads, making sure your relaxer is just right can really go a long way in affecting what your hair needs and how it behaves afterward, and make life easier for you. Plus give you a pretty head, lol.

ETA: I also forgot to ask, do you do regular protein treatments or use protein products, or does your hair not like protein? My hair looked dry for years, was hard for me to straighten (especially without stiffness), and so on until I began giving my hair the amount of protein it needed and then backing it up with protein. ((Also I just started all of this in the summer... the protein and switching my relaxer. I had good progress I wish I could show but I just dropped my camera and broke it this weekend, and how about my roommate's takes pics but can't be hooked up to a USB cable? Anyway, I will have pics soon to show how my hair has changed and grown.))

Let me know if any of this helped. :)

YES!!!!!!

My hair is always more plieable, softer, ect. when I do a hard protien treatment (aphogee), then for the rest of the time moisture. :yep: :yep: :yep: I've been doing this for about 2 years now. Somtimes I've went back to small protien every week or two but I really like giving it the protien it needs, then straight moisture from there. It is soooo much better IMO.

thak souds like what you may need to much product build up i have to clarify every three weeks after you clarify use a moisturizing shampoo then put in your clear rinse

My hair has alot of the same problems. I've been working at this since jan 2006 :nono:

First its very fine.

It doesnt have any weight to swang or have body.
Its version of that is fluffy or wispy and light...airy

Other than that its flat,

or stiff if i use too much product.

(This fine hair thing is something I dont think can be fixed, just have to work with it :nono:)

Its also very coarse so without the right products and regimen it can be rough, dry/pourus, tangly, and dull.

So First I had to find the right products/regmin.
I relax, color, and protien treatment every 8 weeks for the newgrowth, color it black so it will look better and have the possibity to shine better, and a hard protien treatment now because my hair seems to like moisture most of the time.
Also when Im at my goal I will trim every 8 weeks because I think that really makes a difference.

Then Every week
Cream of nature/Elasta Qo shampoo because its very moistuirzing and detangling, ORS replenish or Silicon Mix....Conditoners dont really work for me all the other ones would get a 0 out of 1-10, but these get like 7 in comparison. ROUX POROSITY, this will really help with stiffness, plus it has very small shimmer in it (to me it looks like it does) that seems to make your hair shine, then Beyond the Zone clear. I think that product has given me the best shine possible. (Oil rinsing is also okay for me)

Then I had to find the right products to put in my hair wet and determine how to dry it so that its not stiff, but stays moisturized and detangled and shiny, and with as much "body" and "unflat" as possible.
This has been the hardest! :wallbash: :wallbash:

Carefree/Scurl--This is for airdried hair. It makes my hair wonderfull, but you can really style it. If I use just enough my hair is like a big silky blowdry (Like lloyd), If I use to much its flat (like a babys hair :nono:) Its never greasy though.

For straight hair though

Wild growth oil
Pressing oil
Sabino/Keracare Silken Seal
A Foam

Airdry either a bun with a mens wave cap or bantu knots then iron

Blowdry, then pincurl

Domedryers, they arent good when I use them. I either dont use the right products, comb smooth enough, stay under long enough, or have the right type. My hair is always more rough looking and feels alittle hard.

With airdrying then ironing I either put nothing on it and let it airdry (exept alittle oil) then pressing oil each section and iron. The pressing oil leaves my hair feeling silky, and it gives it a shine, and this lasts for awhile. Without it my hair is rough. The smaller the sections done the better for me.
Or wildgrowth oil on hair, airdry either straight or bantu knots, and iron maybe. The wildgrowth oil gives it a good feel and shine that lasts long also, it just doesnt smell all that.

With the blowdrying I just use a foam (keracare), or I've used keracare silkenseal or sabino for heat protection. They dont seem to make much of a difference.
Maybe add alittle oil
Blowdry
Deffinatly alittle oil to each section, pincurl, mens cap.

The blowdrying and pincurling allows my hair to be light, but it gives it shape so its not wisping around

The airdrying and flatiron makes it more flat.

I was feeling WGO in the beginning of my journey, but never went back to it, I don't know why (well I do, I'm a PJ). I'ma have to go back to it.

Using the Porosity Control after a DC, made my hair feel coated, although it was a bit shiner.

Also, whenever my hair starts to look shiny, I comb it, and the shine is gone. :perplexed Weird. My rollerset curls are always shiny until I comb them out *shrugs*

I don't think that is what they are saying. In addition to the problem you are having with your roots, you said that your hair in general is dry and blah looking so I think they are just saying you may need a new relaxer, I don't think they are referring to scab hair or anything, just your hair in general. I hope you figure things out and I wish I could see your hair in person because your pics really are to die for, I have always drooled over your siggy pics:yep:.

I was way off :giggle: I got it now! :yep:

@ the bolded... Thanks! :Blush2:

YES!!!!!!

My hair is always more plieable, softer, ect. when I do a hard protien treatment (aphogee), then for the rest of the time moisture. :yep: :yep: :yep: I've been doing this for about 2 years now. Somtimes I've went back to small protien every week or two but I really like giving it the protien it needs, then straight moisture from there. It is soooo much better IMO.

Maybe I should try a hard protein?

I was feeling WGO in the beginning of my journey, but never went back to it, I don't know why (well I do, I'm a PJ). I'ma have to go back to it.

Using the Porosity Control after a DC, made my hair feel coated, although it was a bit shiner.

Also, whenever my hair starts to look shiny, I comb it, and the shine is gone. :perplexed Weird. My rollerset curls are always shiny until I comb them out *shrugs*

:nono: Yep!

With the Roux, thats why I put it on after the conditoner both of them together. I tried using it alone or after rinsing out the conditoner and it left my hair feeling really weird. Guess thats "coated"

And also after you just iron a section of hair....so shiny. Im tempted to iron daily just because of that. IDK why that is though....maybe we're roughing up the cuticle when combing it?

Whenever I set my hair at night....like braid it or pincurl it, put a silk cap on, then take it out in the morning, its much more shiny. Maybe it has something to do with all the hair being together. Maybe thicker hair is more bunched together so you can see a collective shine or something like that. :perplexed :spinning:

ETA--- I do think you should try a hard protien treatment.

Have these problems ever made you want to transition? These are my reasons if i can ever do it. If im natural maybe my hair can just "be"....I just moisturize it and thats it. Without all of this fine hair, hangs weird, no shine mess.

Last edited:
:nono: Yep!

With the Roux, thats why I put it on after the conditoner both of them together. I tried using it alone or after rinsing out the conditoner and it left my hair feeling really weird. Guess thats "coated"

And also after you just iron a section of hair....so shiny. Im tempted to iron daily just because of that. IDK why that is though....maybe we're roughing up the cuticle when combing it?

Whenever I set my hair at night....like braid it or pincurl it, put a silk cap on, then take it out in the morning, its much more shiny. Maybe it has something to do with all the hair being together. Maybe thicker hair is more bunched together so you can see a collective shine or something like that. :perplexed :spinning:

I was seriously thinking the same thing

ETA--- I do think you should try a hard protien treatment.

Have these problems ever made you want to transition? These are my reasons if i can ever do it. If im natural maybe my hair can just "be"....I just moisturize it and thats it. Without all of this fine hair, hangs weird, no shine mess.

Nah, although I would like to be natural one day, but that isn't a major reason.

I've been suffering from extra dry hair lately. I thnik it's because it's getting cold (in upstate NY) and my hair was just feeling harder and coarse. Well, I did the Kiya Fizzie (fizzle??) last nite and i have had my hands in my hair all day today! It really makes a big difference. My hair has a lot of shine and it actually feels heavier almost like it retained more water or something.
I know that Gymfreak can explain the science of it, but I say, try it!!

I've been suffering from extra dry hair lately. I thnik it's because it's getting cold (in upstate NY) and my hair was just feeling harder and coarse. Well, I did the Kiya Fizzie (fizzle??) last nite and i have had my hands in my hair all day today! It really makes a big difference. My hair has a lot of shine and it actually feels heavier almost like it retained more water or something.
I know that Gymfreak can explain the science of it, but I say, try it!!

It does hold a lot more moisture, but my hair just looks dry, very stiff and coated sometime after a DC is rinsed out.

Maybe you should try the basic kit of Verifen Complex hair care products. Add the Constant Care for the Ends to your order.

Now it won't make your hair full of body immediately, because it has more oil than other hair care products but it will definitely keep it from drying out. Try it for about six months consistently, and see if it helps.

Back