old school users...do you feel this way??

L.Brown1114

i feel like i'm done. iv learned everything i need to about hair. i see the same threads coming back around. im seeing more and more new people i dont recognize and find my self lurking more and posting less. did/do you feel this way?? maybe its time i stop obsessing about my hair and start bettering myself on something else. like losing weight or something. idk especially sense the board changed this doesnt feel like home to me. it feels foreign like i dont belong here. i miss the excited feeling you got when you saw something new you never heard of but i never see that anymore. maybe its time to hang up my hat. ill never stop the journey but maybe its time to pass a BSS and not even so much as glance towards it let alone go in and by half the place.

I love this post - SO TRUE. And I haven't been on here that long, especially considering I never used to post at all. But I do feel that way....and sometimes I feel bad because I won't answer a question if it has been asked a thousand times. BTW - I am a hardcore researcher so before I asked any questions as a newbie, I searched, so that's another reason I don't always answer.

But this prompted me to visit the other sections. I am losing weight - thanks fitness section! My nails always look great, and I get new design inspirations all the time - thanks nail section! The skin on my body is MUCH softer and more even toned, and even under my arms are smooth and even - thanks Makeup/Skincare section! So like you said after being somewhat "over" the hair obsession....its turned into an entire self-improvement journey. I have never drank this much water this consistently in my entire life! Nor exercised regularly for this long, nor stuck to any sort of skincare reggie this long. Then when I visit the haircare section again its like I'm returning after a vacation!

LHCF is my e-family. While I do take breaks from here, I will never feel like I know everything. No one does. Even the hair experts learn new things daily. Because of LHCF I am into growing my nails, learning how to apply makeup PROPERLY (that had to be in Caps Lock, LOL), really understanding my relationship with Christ, new exercise tips and much more. Actually, I need to be in this forum more because I am 8 months natural today and feel like relaxing already! Good luck to you.

Yesss! I totally agree, I'm constantly bringing newbies to the board, and they are so excited, and they wanna know why I'm rarely on the hair side, and I explained to them, that I feel like I know all I need to know, and its beginning to feel like all the treads are repeating themselves in one form or another. And I myself has only been here for a little over 2 years, but once you get the basics, how to keep your balance, what products are good for you and what needs to be done to maintain health, then really its not much more you really need to know, maybe because I freqent the archives, reading "Any" and "Everything", I guess I've learned what I needed faster then average, I don't know, but I too agree!

Last edited:
I've only been on this board (combined lurking + membership) for 2yrs now. Like you, I feel the same way as you. There is rarely ever an "a-ha" type moment where the lightbulb goes off.

Any, "new creation" someone posts about, I've already read it back from an old thread or two from 2--2, or 2003. This thread contains a wealth of information - no doubt about it.

I've been here for a very long time and have felt that way for quite a while. I continue coming here because the wealth of information for the price just can't be beat.

I rarely even come over to the hair side anymore because you can only read "What conditioner gives you the best slip?" and "How long did it take you to grow to WSL?" so many times before you want to scream.

I mostly stick to the other areas of the board.

Like above... I just decided to explore other sections of this forum ie: fitness, fashion, etc to get myself right in those areas. I still come over here frequently but it's what's great about this site so many different areas.

But this site is so much more than hair! I came here to learn other ways of managing my natural hair, but ventured over to other aspects of the board & fell in love. I try not to obsess over anything...causes too much drama in your life.

Hate to see you go! :(

Yes I do feel that way most of the time but I look in here once in a while to see if there is anything new going on like products. That's what I'm doing today. I mainly look and post on other threads now.

I've only been a "poster" since around the beginning of the year and I'm starting to get bored too. Same old questions about conditioner, protein, moisture, juice, PS, "what's my hair type?", "am I bsl yet?", blah, blah, blah....I'm mostly on here because I get bored at work. What keeps me on the hair side are the pics. I still like seeing pics of long, healthy hair.

I'm not knocking anyone who is asking these same questions because they can ask whatever they want, there's just no need for me to read it or for me to respond because all I will say is "just spray some S-Curl No Drip on your hair if it's dry", because that's pretty much my answer all the time.

I'm still gonna stay on the board, but I've been lurking around in the Exercise and Career sections a lot lately.

I havnt been here very long, but have been on my hair journey since 2008 (im only 11 months natural now) . though I have my hair regimen set ( I think) Im now into hair acessories and trying to find more natural products for my hair and body.

LHCF now is 70% entertainment/ e-socializing

Im no where near done my natural hair journey and I signed up for 2 years so Imma be on here everyday getting my $13 worth lololol

I understand what you mean about the changes and the atmosphere here not feeling the same. But I agree with those who mentioned that LHCF is not just about hair. There's a lot of good discussions happening in the other forums.

For example:

- There's some great info in the career section. I've learnt a lot from there. Also, over the past few months, lots of ladies have helped each other source writing side gigs and are making extra money to meet real life goals.

- While its not of interest to everyone, there was a cool relationship thread where ladies who knew eligible bachelors were connecting them with single sisters on here. From what I read, there were some cool connections made.

- No too long ago, there was a thread going from women who suffered from depression. The thread allowed them to connect with other women of colour who were going through similar issues.

While hair is what brought people here, I really think it's a place where you can connect with other black women about (almost) anything.

I haven't been here quite long enough to completely feel that way, but I would imagine that as you figure out what works for your hair and what doesn't, the tips that you can find on the hair section matter less and less. If you've been here long enough that your retention is on point, you've found the right products and regimen etc. then you don't really need to read up on the best conditioners because you know what works for you. I've been a member less than a year even though I lurked for a long time before that. I spend a lot less time on the board than I did at the beginning because once I got the basics down I didn't feel like there was something new to learn every day.

I feel what you're saying. I don't post as much, nor do I spend as much time on the forum. But I haven't mastered my hair either, lol. I'm just becoming more of a lurker.

I've been on here two years. Didn't consider myself "old school" until I saw when the OP joined. So, I guess I can comment. I went hard when I first joined. I was on here sometimes 12-16 hours a day--researching, reading, learning. Of course I don't need to go that hard anymore, but there is still valuable information on here that I am still discovering. Look not so much at the new, but go back to the old, very old, threads from before you joined. Unless you've perfected the treatment of your hair, and its exactly the way you want it, then there is more to learn. And even if you have, like the other poster said, stay and help the newbies. If all the old heads leave then it becomes the blind leading the blind. I know I didn't join so I could hear from someone else who just joined. I wanted to hear from someone who already made the journey to BSL and had wisdom to share.

I'm a newbie and I haven't researched every single topic and yes, I've asked questions that might could have been answered through searching the board. I found that I was quite resourceful before the board upgrade. Now, I can't seem to find much of anything so I'm asking more questions now than before. I can understand why those who have been around get bored or frustrated with us newbies but you guys were newbies once too (don't stone me, just saying) and I'm sure someone has helped you along the way. Thank goodness for my faithful few LHCF friends (you know who you are) that are there for me to answer questions and are not bored or frustrated by my newbie type questions. Even if they are bored or frustrated, I'm thankful they've never let me see or feel that.

I agree those threads about how long does it take you to grow is a bit pointless because everyone's growth rate is different but I just look at it as, it's obvious a question that many are interested in because there are a lot of participators in those threads.

I THINK JOINING A CHALLENGE WOULD BE FUN FOR YOU. IT CAN KEEP YOU MOTIVATED TOWARDS A GOAL AND MAKE E-FRIENDS. WHEN I HAVE MORE TIME, I WILL DO GO A LITTLE HARDER TO STAY ON TOP OF MY REGIMEN ;-)

I THINK JOINING A CHALLENGE WOULD BE FUN FOR YOU. IT CAN KEEP YOU MOTIVATED TOWARDS A GOAL AND MAKE E-FRIENDS. WHEN I HAVE MORE TIME, I WILL DO GO A LITTLE HARDER TO STAY ON TOP OF MY REGIMEN ;-)

Yes ITA! Challenges have breathed new life into my hair journey. It's fun to share products, techniques and aha moments with others :yep:

I feel the same way. I've stopped going to the other sections too. I log on because of habit but I don't think I'll be renewing my membership. I see the same recycled topics over and over. I do enjoy seeing the pic updates though.

Yes ITA! Challenges have breathed new life into my hair journey. It's fun to share products, techniques and aha moments with others :yep:

Agreed. I log on mainly to chat it up with friends now and we share ideas...well, they mainly share ideas with me (I see you Myjourney2009 and halee_J...got to give you girls props b/c you're awesome!).

One will never know everything about hair care or anything else.

I still enjoy the hair part of this board ever now and then after all these years... I too was at other hair growing sites before this one, so it's been 10+ years.

I do spend considerably more time on the other parts of this board though.

If the search button rendered the same results like the old board maybe people would utlize it more. It is still my best friend when it comes to finding topics. I too hate to see the SAME post over and over again. Girl who cares what your hair type is? says the girl who also found out her hair type via the board. :giggle:

BTW I agree with you staying to share your knowledge with us newbies :D

Back