old school users...do you feel this way??

I understand where you're coming from OP. I've been on this site for over 4 years and on my HHJ for 6 so there are very few things that are new or surprising to me. I do love progress and update pictures though.

Since I've never been a PJ, or should I say, I quit being one almost as soon as I started, I rarely get overly excited about products (I actually rarely read product reviews since I'm not in search of something new and haven't been for years) or new regimens (I still use the one I had when I first came here), yet I never get bored of the forum. I don't read every thread in the hair forum and if no subject tickles my fancy on one forum, I move on to other forums. I don't think I could ever find LHCF boring. There are some forums I haven't really explored even though I've been here over 7 years because the few I visit keep me "entertained". Unless you're a member of another board that has a wealth of info on so many topics and a large number of knowledgeable women from all walks of life like I find here, I don't know how this board could ever be boring. There's always something new to learn, I find.

I know what you feel like. I first discovered LHCF in 2002 I think ( I remember that the C&G website was new at that time). I used to lurk here everyday.

Then I registered, posted a few times and stopped coming here ( it was free at the time). I no longer had the time or enough interest in hair care to visit regularly.

And I came back after that, registered again, and have been on and off ever since.

The board keep changing and I miss my old inspirations, but every new member brings something valuable and often time interesting. I still come here because compared to other boards we are quite free. I don't like boards when you can't talk about certain topics or if you ask a question the only answer you'll get is to go search the archives. Newbies asking the same old questions can sometimes bring about new answers/solutions. I like the other fora too, even though I'm mostly on the hair care part of the site.

Since I've never been a PJ, or should I say, I quit being one almost as soon as I started, I rarely get overly excited about products (I actually rarely read product reviews since I'm not in search of something new and haven't been for years) or new regimens (I still use the one I had when I first came here), yet I never get bored of the forum. I don't read every thread in the hair forum and if no subject tickles my fancy on one forum, I move on to other forums. I don't think I could ever find LHCF boring. There are some forums I haven't really explored even though I've been here over 7 years because the few I visit keep me "entertained". Unless you're a member of another board that has a wealth of info on so many topics and a large number of knowledgeable women from all walks of life like I find here, I don't know how this board could ever be boring. There's always something new to learn, I find.
Well said, Nonie. Glad you said it.

I'm not "old school" yet, but my hair care is on auto pilot now. I took a 5 month break this year, but I have a feeling I will always be here in some capacity. I actually feel comfortable answering some newbie questions, and I've even helped some women IRL begin their own HHJ's.

There are a lot of repeat threads that I've seen 100 times or thread that don't apply to me at all like...Shoulder length in (insert date), relaxer stretch, transitioning. I've been there and done all that. I still read interesting threads I'm just more selective about what I read now than I was before.

I still enjoy coming to the board but I find that I actually have learned/learn more from actually seeing rather than reading. I spend more time on youtube watching hair videos.

i really like this board. i'm a newbie still, though i lurked for a while.
one thing that really irks me is the repetition - a thousaand threads all asking the same question that a search would have answered. i wish there could be a way for people to post questions without those questions necessarily becoming threads. like a question&answer thing. then again, there wouldn't be a perceived need for such a thing if people just took the time to search before posting threads.
still, i'm also exploring the other fora and i'm yet to find myself bored by lhcf
:)

I've been here for eons, but for the first time in my LHCF history, I feel like I'm learning new things about my hair from newbies!:lol: I think I'm always asking the same questions over and over. I am going to continue to do so. I love talking to LHCF women about hair and other things. Above all else, I'm here to encourage people and be encouraged in return.:yep: I also think this site is full of PJs and I always can research a product here before I buy!:grin:

I just take a break here and there especially when my life is extra busy. But I love the.challenges, they keep me from falling off when I get lazy or extra busy. plus I like watching others on their journey.

I've been on here for years. I reached one of my goals in 08 (SL). I got fed up with doing a bunch of extra stuff to my hair/being hair obsessed. I felt like I had learned everything I could possibly learn about relaxed hair, and kinda gave up on having long hair and decided SL was good enough for me. Since I was loving my length and had a bunch of other stuff going on in my life, I just did whatever I wanted to with my hair and didn't even come on the hair section for like a year or two, I only went into the other topics.

Fastforward to 09, my hair was short again, breaking, thinning out, scalp irritated, so I decided to transition. So I came back to learn about transitioning/being natural.

Its not as exciting as it was before and yes some of the same stuff gets repeated over and over. My approach to the hair forum is totally different than it was when I first joined. Back then I'd see someone's hair that I liked and try to do exactly what they did. But now I know I have to learn what works for MY hair. So now I'm on just for support (ie. length challenges) and general suggestions.

I will be hanging around until I have my natural hair routine on lock and make APL. I feel pretty silly being on here as long as I have and not even making APL, lol. But its bout to be on and popping in 2011.

Last edited:
I agree with Lucie. :yep:

Stay around to help the newbies! We're all still family!
:kiss:

Sent from my ADR6300

I've been here a while but on other hair sites since 2000. I must be obsessed with hair and I'm an admitted PJ. I 've had favorite products come and go and I aways find substitutes from the ladies here. I come and go when I get bored. Take a break and visit other sites, come back and see how you feel.

I stopped coming on for a few months because I realized I was a little too obsessed with hair and I really needed to focus on getting a new job. Plus I was getting bored. During that time I got a new job, my membership expired and I spent the summer going to the Dominicans religiously. Fast forward to last month, I got a relaxer and home girl cut over an inch because it was thinning. Now, i'm back on my LHCF grind so that I can reach my goals. It was like coming home after moving far away. I think its okay to take a break if your bored but don't lose sight of your goals and cause your hair to have a set back.

I've been hear for a while. I mainly lurk every once and a while, but I still enjoy seeing people's progress pics and hearing product reviews.

Hahaha Old school in the house!!!! Yes while I do miss my old inspirations (kinnykakes,macherieamour,silverlotus) I would literally be on this site everyday..I still come on here mostly for the topics other than hair..And I do agree the feel of the site has changed with all the changes that have happened. As my journey to wl continues, I love looking at the hip length and classic length threads... Now those girls know the "hair game"..

Not exactly an old head but I been around here for a while and other forums for years before. Even though I don't post so much in the hair forum, I always return to charge my batteries. I lurk when I need to up my level of attention on whatever hair challenges I am facing at the moment. There's always some aspect of care- health, styling technique, and problem solving that can be tweeked by coming here. Joining a hair growth each year help give positive reinforcement and realistic tracking of grown and improved health.

I rotate between the other forums- more in lurk mode now but I still keep busy whipping my hair.

Until I get my retention on point LHCF is stuck with me!! I still love reading about other's experiences with hair care. :yep:

got bored with hair a while ago. That's the beauty of this board having so many sub forums. When you get bored with one topic, just move on to the next! I am always in the Natural Living, Entertainment and Makeup forums. Slowly I'm branching into Fashion :-)

I lurked for a while..but now I'm here everyday..the atmosphere is different from the other boards I visited in the past..This is actually my fav board right now. I luv the pictures and the inspiration. But I can see myself getting bored sometimes. But since I haven't reached my goals I will still visit this board frequently until I do.

Yes, I agree with you 100%. I don't think I have learned every single thing there is to know but I do feel like learning about hair isn't a big deal anymore. Ive grown so much over the last few years that now I'm just cruising along and don't need to be on the board but maybe once a month. Also though ive been here for a few years now I feel like a stranger and not really welcomed so I don't really post anymore. Meh. Things change, life moves forward.

Last edited:
Back