Old myths about growing your hair from your mother

BabyCurls

Indy Girl Growing Strong
How many of you out there ever heard of things that your mother told you when you try to grow your hair?

Here's one from my mother: She says that if you do not wash your hair for weeks or months, the dirt from your hair will make it grow. What a gross myth! /images/graemlins/barf.gif

More hair, Grow hair.
BabyCurls /images/graemlins/rosebud.gif <font color="purple"> </font> <font color="purple"> </font>

One of my best friends grandmother used to tug her hair slighty, she used to tug ours too. She said it would cause the hair to grow faster. It did nothing for me, but her grandmothers hair was long and beautiful, and it was that way up until the day she pasted.
As for my mother's myth, it was not to wash but every two weeks. Because dirt grows hair /images/graemlins/blush.gif. Some of my friends still believe that too /images/graemlins/blush.gifoo:.

My mother told me something that actually happened...so I guess it isn't really a myth...
She told me if I didn't stop messing in my hair(dying it, combing it...trying out the lastest products, re-dying it...) I wouldn't have any hair later in life. That was when I was 16 years old...
I always felt it was a bunch of crap when I heard people say that black women's hair will stop growing long...especially when you get older. So I assumed that, what she was saying was 'crap' also...
But Mom was right! All stuff I did to my hair caught up with me...

My mother had 4c texture....very delicate and extremely thick(both my sisters have her texture...) I got my texture from my father..he was more of a 3a texture. So I guess I got a little of both.... /images/graemlins/grin.gif

My Mum would say:

Don't wash your hair so often or you'll wash out all the natural oils. So approx once per 2 weeks was fine.

Don't relax your hair because once you start, you always have to do it or it breaks off. Its semi-true but I wanted to relax so I just took a deep breath and went for it approx 5 years ago.

Cut/Trim your hair on full moon, it'll grow back nice and thick. I don't necessarily NOT believe it since I see no harm in setting trim appointments on that day anyway you know? (I haven't done this in a while though).

Don't tell someone thank you for combing/styling your hair for you. It brings you bad luck.

Don't fuss with your hair so much, keep handling of it to a minimum insted of putting in different products all the time.

Don't relax your hair too often, let it really grow thick before touch ups or you'll end up with thin hair.

Get a man to massage your scalp--his hormones will make your hair grow. /images/graemlins/blush.gif

If you wash your hair more than 3x a month it will dry up and break off.

The worse a product smells, the better it probably works. /images/graemlins/barf.gif

Grease your scalp every night. If it starts to itch, that means the grease is working.

...and my favorite...

If you cut a boy's hair before his 2nd birthday, it will make him retarded. /images/graemlins/blush.gif

I remember my aunt telling us that we should brush our hair 100 strokes before bed each night and it would grow by morning.

It. didn't work.

We probably did more harm than good with all that brushing.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
sassygirl125 said:
Get a man to massage your scalp--his hormones will make your hair grow. /images/graemlins/blush.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm, I think I'll try this one. Just in case it works... /images/graemlins/sekret.gif

JenJen2721 said:
sassygirl125 said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm, I think I'll try this one. Just in case it works... /images/graemlins/sekret.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

My cousin just came up from Puerto Rico and i promise you me and this woman were the only 2 in my family to have short hair. when i saw her , her hair was at bra strap. /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

according to her its a man's vitamin S that grows hair
/images/graemlins/wink.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif

here's my mom's myths (might i add she went to beautician school and should know better!/images/graemlins/spank.gif) :
1) wash your hair once a month because the dirt will make it grow. (my sis still believes that, her hair grows extremely slow)
2) trimming you ends will make your hair grow faster.
3) let a man massage your scalp to even out the natural oils with his big hands. (ok?)
4) wash your hair in rain water. (why? i dunno)

here's my dad's (he has 5 sisters so he think he know all there is to know about hair)
1) shave a babies head bald so it grows back thicker. (hmmm, that might actually work)
2) a jherri curl can make the most tight headed woman's hair grow. (that might be true too!)
3) if you sleep in rollers sleep on your face so there's no dent. (ok?)

... according to her its a man's vitamin S that grows hair

[/ QUOTE ]

Is the application internal or topical? /images/graemlins/lick.gif heh heh heh

patticake said:
3) if you sleep in rollers sleep on your face so there's no dent. (ok?)

[/ QUOTE ]

Wouldn't you suffocate (sp?) in your sleep??? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

My mother told me only wash my hair once every three months and that our hair grows best in dirt and oil buildup. Fortunately, she only trimmed our hair once a year. I think she would freak out if she knew I washed my hair every three days now... /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

sassygirl125 said:
If you cut a boy's hair before his 2nd birthday, it will make him retarded.

[/ QUOTE ]

My mom said this too, only she said he'll stop growing or he wont' talk.

4) wash your hair in rain water. (why? i dunno)

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, now what were you supposed to do, stand outside in the rain with your bottle of Creme of Nature. LOL... /images/graemlins/grin.gif

sassygirl125 said:
... according to her its a man's vitamin S that grows hair

[/ QUOTE ]

Is the application internal or topical? /images/graemlins/lick.gif heh heh heh

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/rofl.gif /images/graemlins/rofl.gif /images/graemlins/rofl.gif

My mom used to say, while braiding my hair, that if she pulled all the little hairs all around the edges, they would grow. You had to pull the hair for it to grow. Ouch. /images/graemlins/cry3.gif

Does the vitamin S come in Pill or Liquid form?

I wonder if Puritan Pride has it and if so, is it as good as their Biotin. I'll call them tomorrow.

Now that's Men's Vitamin S that I need to ask about. Got it!

LuvableLady said:
Does the vitamin S come in Pill or Liquid form?

I wonder if Puritan Pride has it and if so, is it as good as their Biotin. I'll call them tomorrow.

Now that's Men's Vitamin S that I need to ask about. Got it!

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/grin.gif lady u r too funny !!! but this may actually b true considerin it is protein after all

brownrelaxedhair said:
My Mum would say:

Don't wash your hair so often or you'll wash out all the natural oils. So approx once per 2 weeks was fine.

Don't relax your hair because once you start, you always have to do it or it breaks off. Its semi-true but I wanted to relax so I just took a deep breath and went for it approx 5 years ago.

Cut/Trim your hair on full moon, it'll grow back nice and thick. I don't necessarily NOT believe it since I see no harm in setting trim appointments on that day anyway you know? (I haven't done this in a while though).

Don't tell someone thank you for combing/styling your hair for you. It brings you bad luck.

Don't fuss with your hair so much, keep handling of it to a minimum insted of putting in different products all the time.

Don't relax your hair too often, let it really grow thick before touch ups or you'll end up with thin hair.

[/ QUOTE ]

BRH, I have heard of that myth about waiting until the full moon to cut or trim your hair. Who ever thought of something that lame about that? /images/graemlins/confused.gif My mommy told me that one before. Weird, huh? /images/graemlins/nuts.gif
More hair, Grow hair.
BabyCurls /images/graemlins/rosebud.gif

I follow the cuting of the hair on the full moon, I dont think it hurts to do that, I enjoy having a set time
smirk.gif
, As for myths I think I will go to the products on the Market,
laugh.gif
Have not tried them all but hey, most are the biggest myths I have ever heard of
angeldevil.gif
Here is to lieing sales pitch
alcoholics.gif

My mom didn't know anything about my hair! I have 3c/4a type hair and my mom is Korean....enough said!

Back