OLAPLEX: Hair Game Changer?

I don't really understand this product, and what it does that a protein treatment does not. Isn't filling in or "repairing" broken bonds the aim for both? I really don't get doing this AND a protein treatment in the same session. And how is this product, that's supposed to work on repairing broken bonds along the hair strand, resulting in reduced shedding? What is it doing to the scalp and follicles that this would be an effect?

I don't really understand this product, and what it does that a protein treatment does not. Isn't filling in or "repairing" broken bonds the aim for both? I really don't get doing this AND a protein treatment in the same session. And how is this product, that's supposed to work on repairing broken bonds along the hair strand, resulting in reduced shedding? What is it doing to the scalp and follicles that this would be an effect?

Olaplex repairs broken bonds. A protein treatment fills in damaged cuticles it does not repair broken bonds. They are repairing two different types of damage.

I have no comment on the shedding. Have not experienced that.

I just followed Olaplex on Instagram. I have no plans of using the product but it does seem like 80% of the users are using it when taking their hair from normal color to a platinum white.

I would take any news of damage with a grain of salt if the person is also lifting their hair color and bleaching. That's a lot of damage to the hair. If the Olaplex is helping them at all, it's probably a good product.

I'm a new Olaplex user. I did Step 1 and 2 followed by a protein treatment and deep conditioning with a heat cap on Sat 1/9/15. I did experience some dryness but I think it is because the protein treatment was too much with the Olaplex.

I will tell you that while twisting and untwisting my hair I have very very very very little breakage whereas prior to Olaplex, I would get breakage and strands just coming out during styling.

The proof is gonna be in the long term usage. I will follow up as I go but I know that I will not combine the protein treatment with the Olaplex in the future. Gonna alternate as I will only do protein treatments 1-2 times per month. I'm going to step up my deep conditioning moisturizing game and use my steamer moving forward. But so far I like the Olaplex.

What I used on Sat ( and yes I know this is alot. I put on a movie during all of this lol ):
  1. Shampoo: Terressentials Left Cost Lemon Hair Mud Wash
  2. Olaplex 1: 1/4 ounce mixed with 3 ounces filtered water. Saturated hair and let sit for 7 minutes. NO RINSE
  3. Olaplex 2: 1/2 ounce of cream on top of Olaplex 1. Let sit for approx. 20 minutes then rinsed
  4. Green Beauty Protein treatment: 3 oz mixed in 4 oz of thick protein free conditioner. Left on hair for 30 minutes with heat cap. Rinsed out.
  5. Deep Moisture Conditioner: Joico Moisture 30 or so minutes. rinsed out.
  6. LCO method with: Jane Carter Leave-In Spray, Oyin Hair Dew, Sassy Southern Curls Oil
Sunday felt dry, so I LCO again. Monday felt dry so I LCO, today Tuesday starting to "normalize" but I will monitor.

I have High Porosity Fine 4a/b strands medium to high density, neglected by me so I have alot of breakage and SSK. No color, no direct heat i.e. blow drying and I live in a Low Humdity Hard Water area.

Last edited:
Olaplex repairs broken bonds. A protein treatment fills in damaged cuticles it does not repair broken bonds. They are repairing two different types of damage.

I have no comment on the shedding. Have not experienced that.

Some protein treatments also are supposed to fill in gaps of broken protein bonds. Just filling in the cuticle won't do much more than correct porosity. Do we know which bonds the Olaplex allegedly repairs? If it's the same as what a strong protein treatment is filling, then that may be the reason for the feeling of a protein overload by the posters who are doing both together.

Last edited:
Some protein treatments also are supposed to fill in gaps of broken protein bonds. Just filling in the cuticle won't do much more than correct porosity. Do we know which bonds the Olaplex allegedly repairs? If it's the same as with a strong protein treatment, then that may be the reason for the feeling of a protein overload by the posters who are doing both together.
It repairs disulfide sulfur bonds. Their site states that it isn't a protein and does not replace a protein.

I think those using it for the first time should use it by itself to know what they are working with. They can do protein at a later date.

I did them on two separate weeks and did not have an issue.

It repairs disulfide sulfur bonds. Their site states that it isn't a protein and does not replace a protein.

I think those using it for the first time should use it by itself to know what they are working with. They can do protein at a later date.

I did them on two separate weeks and did not have an issue.

I know they say it's not (it wouldn't be a "game changer" if it was just a regular old protein treatment. :look:), but the ingredient list sure does read like it is.

These are the ingredients of the Olaplex #3:

Ingredients : Water, Bis-Aminopropyl Digycol Dimaleate, Propylene Glycol, Cetearyl Alcohol, Hydrolyzed Soy Protein, Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E), Retinol Palmitate (Vitamin A), Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Phytantriol, Panthenol, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Wheat Amino Acids, Behentrimonium Methosulfate, Cetyl Alcohol, Glycerin, Stearamidopropyl Dimethylamine, Hydroxyethyl Ethylcellulose, Quaternium-91, Cetrimonium Methosulfate, Cetrimonium Chloride, Fragrance (Parfum), Polyquaternium-37, Tetrasodium EDTA, Magnesium Nitrate, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Magnesium Chloride, Methylisothiazolinone, Etidronic Acid, Potassium Sorbate, Phenoxyethanol, Citric Acid, Disodium EDTA, Sodium Benzoate, Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Sweet Almond) Oil.

Regardless, I'm just trying to let the ladies know, who are using it and then following directly with a protein treatment, that they probably shouldn't do that. I may try the treatment in place of my regular protein. It has enough protein in it for a natural head imo.

Last edited:
I know they say it's not (it wouldn't be a "game changer" if it was just a regular old protein treatment. :look:), but the ingredient list sure does read like it is.

These are the ingredients of the Olaplex:

Ingredients : Water, Bis-Aminopropyl Digycol Dimaleate, Propylene Glycol, Cetearyl Alcohol, Hydrolyzed Soy Protein, Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E), Retinol Palmitate (Vitamin A), Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Phytantriol, Panthenol, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Wheat Amino Acids, Behentrimonium Methosulfate, Cetyl Alcohol, Glycerin, Stearamidopropyl Dimethylamine, Hydroxyethyl Ethylcellulose, Quaternium-91, Cetrimonium Methosulfate, Cetrimonium Chloride, Fragrance (Parfum), Polyquaternium-37, Tetrasodium EDTA, Magnesium Nitrate, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Magnesium Chloride, Methylisothiazolinone, Etidronic Acid, Potassium Sorbate, Phenoxyethanol, Citric Acid, Disodium EDTA, Sodium Benzoate, Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Sweet Almond) Oil.

Regardless, I'm just trying to let the ladies know, who are using it and then following directly with a protein treatment, that they probably shouldn't do that. I may try the treatment in place of my regular protein. It has enough protein in it for a natural head imo.

We are in agreement. It shouldn't be followed by a protein treatment.

These are the ingredients of the Olaplex #3:

I looked at all of my containers and I don't have protein listed in any of mine. I have the #2 and #3 from the single use kit. I also have a separate bottle of #3. None of them contain the protein listed above. It's too late for me to type it out tonight. I will get the ingredient list I have up tomorrow.

I guess everyone needs to check their ingredient list to see if they have protein in their product already.

I looked at all of my containers and I don't have protein listed in any of mine. I have the #2 and #3 from the single use kit. I also have a separate bottle of #3. None of them contain the protein listed above. It's too late for me to type it out tonight. I will get the ingredient list I have up tomorrow.

I guess everyone needs to check their ingredient list to see if they have protein in their product already.

I copied the ingredients from the Amazon listing of #3.

Here are the ingredients on the back of some people's bottles:

image.jpg
image.jpg

It's the #3 that contains all the protein the others just have the active + water.

ETA: I'm reading that #2 also has protein and other additives. #3 is just a watered down version of #2. #1 is only water + the active ingredient.

Last edited:
I copied the ingredients from the Amazon listing of #3.

Here are the ingredients on the back of some people's bottles:

View attachment 348445
View attachment 348447

It's the #3 that contains all the protein the others just have the active + water.

These are the ingredients on both of my #3's.

Water (Aqua), Bis-Aminopropyl Diglycol Dimaleate, Propylene Glycol, , Cetearyl Alcohol, Behentrimonium Methosulfate, Cetyl Alcohol,Phenoxyethanol, Glycerin, Hydroxyethyl Ethylcellulose, Stearamidopropyl Dimethylamine, Quaternium91, Sodium Benzoate, Cetrimonium Methosulfate, Cetrimonium Chloride, Fragrance (Parfum), Polyquaternium-37, Tetrasodium EDTA, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, Etidronic Acid, Ascorbic Acid, Phytantriol, Sweet Almond Oil, Vitamin E, Aloe Leaf Juice, Jojoba Seed Oil, Citric Acid, Potassium Sorbate

No protein listed in what I have.

These are the ingredients on both of my #3's.

Water (Aqua), Bis-Aminopropyl Diglycol Dimaleate, Propylene Glycol, , Cetearyl Alcohol, Behentrimonium Methosulfate, Cetyl Alcohol,Phenoxyethanol, Glycerin, Hydroxyethyl Ethylcellulose, Stearamidopropyl Dimethylamine, Quaternium91, Sodium Benzoate, Cetrimonium Methosulfate, Cetrimonium Chloride, Fragrance (Parfum), Polyquaternium-37, Tetrasodium EDTA, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, Etidronic Acid, Ascorbic Acid, Phytantriol, Sweet Almond Oil, Vitamin E, Aloe Leaf Juice, Jojoba Seed Oil, Citric Acid, Potassium Sorbate

No protein listed in what I have.

I found the msds on the site for all three, and your ingredients are what's listed for #2 & #3 as of February 2015. :perplexed: I don't know if there was a formula change or if those are fraudulent bottles with the protein added.

#1 MSDS
#2 MSDS
#3 MSDS

Reactions: JFK
I found the msds on the site for all three, and your ingredients are what's listed for #2 & #3 as of February 2015. :perplexed: I don't know if there was a formula change or if those are fraudulent bottles with the protein added.

#1 MSDS
#2 MSDS
#3 MSDS
I think there is a stylist in this thread who is purchasing it legitimately. She is the person to ask, what is on the current bottles.

She may know why some have protein and others do not. Not sure for those wanting to buy it, how they could determine what they are getting before they order. I just happened to luck up with both bottles.

ETA: Maybe they did a formula change after February. Or they came out with a separate product that we don't know about for really damaged hair thus the added protein :perplexed:

I have no clue so I'm taking myself to bed.

Last edited:
I'm quite pleased with the active ingredient in Olaplex bringing curls back to my heat damaged area. I thought I was going to have to cut more hair. Protein treatments were not bringing that area back to life.

I'm not a stylist, but I was able to borrow someone's card, so I could go to Cosmprof and buy the Olaplex travel kit. These are the ingredients on the box:

Attachments

• 20160112_225405.jpg
    20160112_225405.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 103
I've been pleased with Olaplex. I bought the travel kit with steps 1 and 2. I planned to use it weekly for a solid 2 months, but experienced unusual dryness by the 6th consecutive week. So I'm using it every 2 or 3 weeks now. Reduced shedding, and I don't know the science behind why. Reduced breakage. I follow the instructions on the website/box without adding my own extra spin to it. I don't want to use protein at the same time, although the kit says to either DC or protein treat according to what the hair needs.

I will keep with this for the foreseeable future.

I purchased mine from Amazon seller Candyland and the bottle labels match both the box and Olaplex's MSDS sheets. I have the Olaplex Traveling Stylist Kit which includes 1 bottle of #1 and 2 bottles of # 2. I also have a bottle of # 3.

None of my bottles have protein as an ingredient. I bought mine 12/10/15 & 12/23/15. I don't know how to embed the pictures in my post but I created a photo album with the boxes and labels for Olaplex 1, 2, & 3. If I figure out how to embed the pics I will come back and update the thread.

Ok I have questions for those who had used the product.

1). It seems that 1 & 2 were designed to used in addition to chemical services such as coloring, bleaching, perms and relaxers. Can it be used, as is, for natural hair without being added to another product?. If so, who has done out and how did it work out?

2). Step 3 seems to be the follow up home product after use of 1 and 2. Does using 3 by itself work, particularly on natural hair?

3). Any recommendations of natural YTers that apply all attempts at home without other chemical services?

Back