OLAPLEX: Hair Game Changer?

Okay so I'm a wimp. I sent it back to amazon today after reading horror stories. I just can't risk it. My hair is fine but I have dense (a lot of) hair and also I had surgery last year (and that took a lot out of my hair combined with anemia). So I really want to try it, but I will take a wait and see approach. My hair is still on my head and I want to keep it that way. So I wish all the ladies well and hope it works for you!

FaithVA,
Did you rinse #1 out before applying # 2? You said that you left #2 in for 2 hours. I thought #2 was mixed overtop #1. Curious to see how folks are actually using the product and the results they are getting. I used steps 1(5 minutes) and 2 ( on top of step 1 for 20 minuets)a few days ago and initially noticed that my hair was softer and more shiny but now it seems more dry. I rinsed, shampooed, applied protein conditioner and rinsed, followed by moisturizing conditioner for 30 minutes. I will monitor and proceed with caution before trying step 3. My products were purchased by a licensed cosmetologist. I am natural, no color and used product as a stand alone treatment.
I've noticed that my hair is a little dryer/coarser too (used one and two once). Feels normal now, but too a while to get the balance back.

I have well water and maybe is part of the problem. To do step 3, I will test small area of hair to see how it responds before doing whole head. Product may not be for me and my hair. BTW, my hair was dry and damaged before olaplex but was getting better. It is now dryer than it was before the treatment. We shall see...
what protein condish did you use? maybe it's the pairing of the olaplex and the protein? that's what I did. It's not too bad, it just isn't as soft as usual. how would you rate your dryness?

sheschentit helped me get back to feeling normal.

How long did it take to get balance back?
I did my hair with olaplex last sunday, and it feels better today, so about a week. I did several sprays of a leave in and argan oil and it feels better now. Throughout the week I was using conditioner, leave in spray, and argan oil. I added a creamier actual leave in today; not sure if that made a difference . I don't know how to describe the dry feeling, because it's not remarkable, but it's noticeable to me. A little stiff and coarser than usual, like 90's Just For Me Permed hair? lol.

There are other factors that may not have to do with olaplex, such as I changed one of my conditioners because I was too lazy to order and wait for darcy botanicals, I traveled this weekend, did a protein treatment last wash which I haven't in awhile, and somehow my hair keeps getting a little damp during showering- I think my shower cap isn't working right so it's time to throw it out. So with all of that combined, I'm hesitant to blame the olaplex.

I did my hair with olaplex last sunday, and it feels better today, so about a week. I did several sprays of a leave in and argan oil and it feels better now. Throughout the week I was using conditioner, leave in spray, and argan oil. I added a creamier actual leave in today; not sure if that made a difference . I don't know how to describe the dry feeling, because it's not remarkable, but it's noticeable to me. A little stiff and coarser than usual, like 90's Just For Me Permed hair? lol.

There are other factors that may not have to do with olaplex, such as I changed one of my conditioners because I was too lazy to order and wait for darcy botanicals, I traveled this weekend, did a protein treatment last wash which I haven't in awhile, and somehow my hair keeps getting a little damp during showering- I think my shower cap isn't working right so it's time to throw it out. So with all of that combined, I'm hesitant to blame the olaplex.

i used Komaza protein strengthener and I too, believe the two may have been too much. I will reevaluate things in a week or two. Right now my hair feels like protein overload.

I ordered step 3 and I will try it tomorrow once it gets here. My hair is natural, not color treated, has some hardly noticeable heat damaged areas, but is otherwise fine. I won't use it with protein.

Anyone seeing thicker hair? If this is just to stop shedding/breakage/heat damage I guess I don't really have a need for it as I don't experience much of that. I would really like thicker hair tho.

Anyone seeing thicker hair? If this is just to stop shedding/breakage/heat damage I guess I don't really have a need for it as I don't experience much of that. I would really like thicker hair tho.
I don't think it's going to help you get thicker hair unless your thinness is due to some type of damage.

If you are talking about increasing density I doubt that this helps. If you are experiencing hair thinning other things are more effective.

So far, just less hair fall (breakage and shedding). My hair is really damaged.

Has anyone noticed any itching with Olaplex? I can't blame Olaplex for my scalp itching, but I do keep a hair diary.
Next time, I use #3, for my weekly treatment, I'm going to dilute it with distilled water. I'm curious to see the result, as diluting will save money, also.

Maybe, I can eventually bypass #3 and use #2 as a diluted weekly maintenance. #2 is offered in a bigger bottle.

Has anyone noticed any itching with Olaplex? I can't blame Olaplex for my scalp itching, but I do keep a hair diary.
Next time, I use #3, for my weekly treatment, I'm going to dilute it with distilled water. I'm curious to see the result, as diluting will save money, also.

Maybe, I can eventually bypass #3 and use #2 as a diluted weekly maintenance. #2 is offered in a bigger bottle.
I haven't noticed anything with using 1 & 2. I haven't used #3 by itself yet.

So I tested the Olaplex on a small part of hair in my nape yesterday. The slightly heat damage looked a bit better, fluffier. I used it on unwashed hair, then shampooed it out and dced that little bit of hair.

Since that test patch had no ill effects, I used it on my entire head this morning. This time I shampooed first, then used it on clean towel dried hair. I then rinsed it out after about an hour and proceeded to dc. My hair didn't look much different. It felt fluffy and light...not super dry, but not moisturized either. I will keep using since I didn't see any adverse effects. If it can help reduce shedding and breakage, I might use it every so often.

FaithVA,
Did you rinse #1 out before applying # 2? You said that you left #2 in for 2 hours. I thought #2 was mixed overtop #1. Curious to see how folks are actually using the product and the results they are getting. I used steps 1(5 minutes) and 2 ( on top of step 1 for 20 minuets)a few days ago and initially noticed that my hair was softer and more shiny but now it seems more dry. I rinsed, shampooed, applied protein conditioner and rinsed, followed by moisturizing conditioner for 30 minutes. I will monitor and proceed with caution before trying step 3. My products were purchased by a licensed cosmetologist. I am natural, no color and used product as a stand alone treatment.
FaithVA,

UPDATE: 6 days later

On yesterday, day 5 since olaplex 1 and 2 treatment, my hair feels less dry and seems to be returning to normal. After the Olaplex treatment followed by komaza protein for 20 minutes and then a moisturizing treatment, my hair was very dry and felt like extreme protein overload. I overloaded my hair with Natty moist and natty butter to moisturize followed by oil to seal in moisture. Now, on day 6 my hair seems to be retuning to normal in terms of its feel and moisture level.

I was really frightened that the treatment had permanently damaged my hair. I am going to proceed with extreme caution with the treatment. Before doing step 3, I am going to test a small section of my hair to see how it responds. If the test section does not respond well, I will discontinue the treatment because I do not want to risk further compromising my hair.

Yes, I had an itchy scalp but it subsided in a couple of days. I diluted step 1 using distilled water before applying it to my hair.

I have not noticed any itching and I've done two treatments using #3 only. I have noticed that although my hair doesn't feel as cottony as it did pre-Olaplex I didn't have any breakage during my recent blow dry and flatiron.

I did a water rinse and then used the Olaplex #3 for probably 30 minutes. Then I rinsed, did a mudwash and applied a semi-permanent color. I like how the Olaplex softened my hair when I put it on so it was easy to detangle with.

I'm not sure if it is working or not but I'm not having any adverse affects that I'm aware of. So far I've done steps 1, 2 & 3 and I've also done a protein treatment. My hair feels strong but its also soft. My color turned out great compared to previous attempts. My ends seem to be getting better but I think its going to take a few more treatments of Olaplex and additional protein treatments before I know for sure.

Instead of weekly I'm going to do an Olaplex #3 and a protein treatment every 3 weeks until the bottle is gone. Then I will decide if I will repurchase.

Sally's is selling a cheaper, generic dupe of Olaplex from the brand Ion; it's called Absolute Perfection (there's a Step 1 and a Step 2 like Olaplex). I was curious and bought it today; will be a Guinea pig and try it this weekend.
Thanks for the info! I saw it on the website last week and wondered if it was similar.

So, I tried it... and I like it! Now, keep in mind, I was planning on using a base breaker in my hair this week which is what led me to step into Sally's in the first place, so I can't vouch for how it works as a standalone treatment (although I will be trying it in that manner in about 2 weeks). However, I will say upon washing out the "color", my hair felt super soft and moisturized... and the step 2 sealer was just AMAZING... it made my hair feel so delicious, I didn't want to wash it out.

All in all, upon using it in 2 weeks, I will decide if it will be a replacement for Olaplex. Based on first impressions, I'm happy with it. I like the way it made my hair feel more than Olaplex does, HOWEVER, one time doesn't vouch for much. It might also be the color product I used, which has some minor conditioning agents in it as well.

So, I tried it... and I like it! Now, keep in mind, I was planning on using a base breaker in my hair this week which is what led me to step into Sally's in the first place, so I can't vouch for how it works as a standalone treatment (although I will be trying it in that manner in about 2 weeks). However, I will say upon washing out the "color", my hair felt super soft and moisturized... and the step 2 sealer was just AMAZING... it made my hair feel so delicious, I didn't want to wash it out.

All in all, upon using it in 2 weeks, I will decide if it will be a replacement for Olaplex. Based on first impressions, I'm happy with it. I like the way it made my hair feel more than Olaplex does, HOWEVER, one time doesn't vouch for much. It might also be the color product I used, which has some minor conditioning agents in it as well.

How would you use this as a stand alone treatment? It seems to need to be mixed into a lightner or color. Perhaps it can be mixed into a clear rinse?

This is the correct product right? http://www.sallybeauty.com/step-one-booster/SBS-405017,default,pd.html#q=absolute+perfection&start=2

How would you use this as a stand alone treatment? It seems to need to be mixed into a lightner or color. Perhaps it can be mixed into a clear rinse?

This is the correct product right? http://www.sallybeauty.com/step-one-booster/SBS-405017,default,pd.html#q=absolute+perfection&start=2

Yep, that's the correct product.

I'm going to try it as a standalone even though there aren't any directions for such; the measurements for using the product with color is the same as Olaplex so I will go by those directions when trying it. Dunno what will happen, but I'm willing to take the risk lol.

Okay so someone pm'd me about Olaplex. I am going to post it here. I am not trying to discredit them or anyone's wonderful experience, I'm just letting you know everything so that you can make an informed decision. For all we know they might have a law suit brewing in the future like wen if people are being silenced as they say. Also if you click the link and read other posts here, you'll see the negative and positive comments. But notice also that the negative ones are silenced quickly and I side eye that. They always have a reason for why it didn't work for them instead of just letting them post. So it makes me wonder how many olaplex affiliates and reps are running around trying to keep the dialogue positive on the product. Again this does not negate all the positive experiences but to be well informed. At any rate here is the post:

"one commenter actually already is in contact with lawyer in the Wen lawsuit!"

look at this: ( from the comment section in the link) http://www.labmuffin.com/2015/04/how-does-olaplex-hair-treatment-work/
Olaplex” did the same damage to my hair! They told me the same story they told you, that it can not create any damage!! I only used hair color Level-8N 1/2 with Level-9G for 25min. pulled through 3-5min. at max…My hair texture is fine just like yours but, I had a lot of it…All gone Now!! They do nothing but bully you and said I didn’t rinse all the color out…Wrong!! They are delusional and we will see in the future “The Truth Always Prevails”
Call my attorney Janet Varnell @ 352-753-8600 She’s handling the “WEN” class action suit!!

Back