Ok Ladies, this one is for the "Big Girls".....

silkii_locks

Hi Ladies,

First let me start off by saying that I am a plus-sized woman, I'm 5"8" and a size 24 The reason for this post is to find out if there are anymore plus sized ladies who share some of the same feelings as I do.

1. Do you ever feel self-conscience about posting pics on here in your bra or tank top?
2. Do you feel that BSL and beyond on you does not look the same as BSL on someone much smaller?
3. Do you feel that your hair would look longer at any length if you were smaller.
4 Has anyone ever told you that "Big Girls" look better with short hair or long hair makes you look bigger?

If any of these questions apply to you, please explain your answer. Thanks Ladies:yep:

Silkii Locks your hair looks beautiful, forget what everyone else thinks. :yep:

I am a big girl too. I am a 16/18. I have always been told that long hair makes fat women look bigger. I personally look better with long hair. I recently found this out about myself. I think it is all a personal choice. I wouldn't listen to what other people are saying to you, most of the time all they have are negative comments anyway.

What is your regime

LOL! It changes so much. But this is what I've been doing for the past couple weeks.
I wash my hair about every 5 days or so, with either Design Essentials moisture retention shampoo or Nadia Jojoba Hemp shampoo from shescentit.com.
Deep condition under dryer, with something very moisturizing like Humecto, Nadia Banana Brulee, but lately it's been ORS Replenishing Pac (my hair loves this stuff!:lick:)
Rinse in shower. Squeeze water out, I do not towel dry.
Then I roller set on grey rollers with very small amounts of Nadia green grape leave-in conditioner or Rusk Smoother leave-in, Kera care or DE wrap foam and Chi silk infusion serum.
I wrap nightly.
I do protein treatments as needed. My hair loves protein.

Last edited:
I am a big girl too. I am a 16/18. I have always been told that long hair makes fat women look bigger. I personally look better with long hair. I recently found this out about myself. I think it is all a personal choice. I wouldn't listen to what other people are saying to you, most of the time all they have are negative comments anyway.

I totally agree with you. I love long hair on me. I haven't actually been told this for years now but I know people who are being told this all the time.

I'm well past BSL now, but yeah, I may not post any pics of my stretched hair because I'm not really eager to post any brashots here :blush:

I do sometimes feel my hair would look longer if I was smaller, but then I thought maybe it was all in my head.

You have beautiful hair silkiilocks :yep:

Interestingly I have heard women on this board say that big women should keep their hair short, but I have not heard it as much in real life. Personally I think long hair is more flattering to me. :yep: And I think that is true for many full-figured women.

I'm 5'4, size 18.

1. Do you ever feel self-conscience about posting pics on here in your bra or tank top? I don't, at all. Just period. I've read how hateful women can be on here about other women's appearances, and I refuse to expose myself to that. :lol: That's why I got DSD's tee shirt - so I can start to show length below the shoulders without showing my body.

2. Do you feel that BSL and beyond on you does not look the same as BSL on someone much smaller? :lol: I realized I few days ago because of the wiggle & jiggle under my arms, APL is lower on me than it would be if I weighed less and had smaller upper arms. :lol: I suspect BSL is lower on me too, just because my bra strap is 3 inches, not 3/4 of a inch, you know?

3. Do you feel that your hair would look longer at any length if you were smaller. I think it would, just because it would have less milage to cover. ;)

4 Has anyone ever told you that "Big Girls" look better with short hair or long hair makes you look bigger? Nah, I've never heard that, one way or another.

I'm well past BSL now, but yeah, I may not post any pics of my stretched hair because I'm not really eager to post any brashots here :blush:

I do sometimes feel my hair would look longer if I was smaller, but then I thought maybe it was all in my head.

You have beautiful hair silkiilocks :yep:

Interestingly I have heard women on this board say that big women should keep their hair short, but I have not heard it as much in real life. Personally I think long hair is more flattering to me. :yep: And I think that is true for many full-figured women.

Thank you your hair is gorgeous as well. And I feel the same way that it's all my head, but I thought it would be interesting to know if others felt the same way:yep:

Hi Ladies,

First let me start off by saying that I am a plus-sized woman, I'm 5"8" and a size 24 The reason for this post is to find out if there are anymore plus sized ladies who share some of the same feelings as I do.

1. Do you ever feel self-conscience about posting pics on here in your bra or tank top? I was feeling self conscience at first, but I posted a pic with my back fat showing because I wanted the ladies here to see my progress. I feel like all the ladies here are my sisters and I don't have to be ashamed. However I don't think I posted that pic to my fotki. I can't remember, but I can't just be having random strangers seeing the back fat, lol.
2. Do you feel that BSL and beyond on you does not look the same as BSL on someone much smaller? I do feel like this. I see BSL on thinner women and I'm like why mines don't look like that? I don't know that it has anything to do with my size. Might just be hair anorexia. Are maybe these ladies have shorter torsos.
3. Do you feel that your hair would look longer at any length if you were smaller. I do feel like it would look longer, but again that just might be body image issues.
4 Has anyone ever told you that "Big Girls" look better with short hair or long hair makes you look bigger? No I never really heard that. I have a big fat round head and I don't know how anyone would think I would look good with short hair. I had a ex tell me I should flip my hair inwards to make my face look thinner, so I had my hair flipped outwards and rocked it. :lachen:

If any of these questions apply to you, please explain your answer. Thanks Ladies:yep:

Me and you are the same height and size. While I do have some body image issues I love myself. I'm not shame of my body. It's mine and I only I can rock it.

1. Do you ever feel self-conscience about posting pics on here in your bra or tank top?
I don't post bra pictures because I don't want to see anyones bra and I know they don't want to see mine.

2. Do you feel that BSL and beyond on you does not look the same as BSL on someone much smaller?
no

3. Do you feel that your hair would look longer at any length if you were smaller.
no

4 Has anyone ever told you that "Big Girls" look better with short hair or long hair makes you look bigger?
yep, just like they say older women should have their hair shorter. I wear my hair the way I like it.

:bighug:

I'm 5'4, size 18.

1. Do you ever feel self-conscience about posting pics on here in your bra or tank top? I don't, at all. Just period. I've read how hateful women can be on here about other women's appearances, and I refuse to expose myself to that. :lol: That's why I got DSD's tee shirt - so I can start to show length below the shoulders without showing my body.

2. Do you feel that BSL and beyond on you does not look the same as BSL on someone much smaller? :lol: I realized I few days ago because of the wiggle & jiggle under my arms, APL is lower on me than it would be if I weighed less and had smaller upper arms. :lol: I suspect BSL is lower on me too, just because my bra strap is 3 inches, not 3/4 of a inch, you know?

3. Do you feel that your hair would look longer at any length if you were smaller. I think it would, just because it would have less milage to cover. ;)

4 Has anyone ever told you that "Big Girls" look better with short hair or long hair makes you look bigger? Nah, I've never heard that, one way or another.

More milage to cover...:lachen: Thanks for your response Kiya.

NO. I am fine with it. I just have hair dilemmas where I go from long to bald in a snap, but with my weight my SO have convinced me that a bald head won't look good. So I am keeping it long. Because I have tried to live without my meds unsuccessly, a smaller frame I will sacrifice in order to be happy. and yeah, I am lazy and eat too much and don't exercise, but I digress.

I love this site, there is no other forum I feel more comfy with discussing my hair obsessions :)

I am 5'6" and a size 24. OP you have gorgeous hair, this is a hair site and we all want beautiful hair. I have never heard of short hair looking good on larger frames, if anything, I would think just the opposite.

Last edited:
I don't post bra pictures because I don't want to see anyones bra and I know they don't want to see mine.

no

no

yep, just like they say older women should have their hair shorter. I wear my hair the way I like it.

:bighug:

Exactly!:grin:

I'm 5'7, size 12/14. I'll weigh in with my answers...

1. Do you ever feel self-conscience about posting pics on here in your bra or tank top? - Sometimes it makes me a bit self aware, but not too much. I'm not real big on posting bra pics on the internet anyway; a tank top is kewl though.
2. Do you feel that BSL and beyond on you does not look the same as BSL on someone much smaller? Nah.
3. Do you feel that your hair would look longer at any length if you were smaller. In some respects, yes.
4 Has anyone ever told you that "Big Girls" look better with short hair or long hair makes you look bigger? Yes I've heard this.. and I believe it to be true. I think very long hair adds to your frame. So if you're already a large women, long hair can make your frame seem larger. I also think very long hair on petite women can over power their frame, making them seem even tinier.

Let me also say that I think longer layers in the hair can flatter a rounder face. It's all about symmetry, cut, proportion, etc.

I'm 5'4, size 18.

3. Do you feel that your hair would look longer at any length if you were smaller. I think it would, just because it would have less milage to cover. ;) :lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen:

You speaking to me, lol. I posted a pic in my bra. My bra band is about 4 inches so by the time I pass it I should be MBL, lol. I'm actually past it now, but to me it's still looking short. I bought that shirt too, but my hair is already longer than the last mark on the shirt so it's time to get out the permenant markers.

NO. I am fine with it. I just have hair dilemmas where I go from long to bald in a snap, but with my weight my SO have convinced me that a bald head won't look good. So I am keeping it long. Because I have tried to live without my meds unsuccessly, a fat booty I will sacrifice in order to be happy. and yeah, I am lazy and eat too much and don't exercise, but I digress.

I love this site, there is no other forum I feel more comfy with discussing my hair obsessions :)

Girl my husband is walking around talking about he digs bald chicks, lol because he so tired of hearing about my hair, lol.

Ok, here I go. I am full figured. I'm 5'3 and a size 22-24 depending on the cut of the clothes.

Sometimes, but I rather pose in a tank top than my bra. I have an open fokti and you never know who is viewing it.

Sometimes. I realize now that I just want long, healthy looking hair for me. I try not to care to much how it appears on anyone else because it doesn't affect me anyway.

Probably. But I still try not to worry about it. I just want it to grow.

Honestly, I have heard this but it was usually from some one smaller than me. Yes, some plus size women look great with short hair, some small girls look great with short hair too. Some women, plus size or thin, do not look great with short hair or long hair. So I no longer worry about it. I worry about how my hair is and how I can get it to look long, thick and healthy.:grin:

Girl my husband is walking around talking about he digs bald chicks, lol because he so tired of hearing about my hair, lol.

My SO is tired of me talking about my hair, but it is more because he claims he is traumatized from 2003 when I shaved my head bald with a razor and then had his homeboy take a photo of it with a spot light. I thought it was hillarious. And I have had it short one time after that [about 6 times pre-2003, we have been together 8 years, when we first met, my mom showed him photos of my long hair, just a bit of history :)].

He just fears scissors, I didn't know I scurred him so badly. Poor baby. :lol

OH< and keep your hair, it is beautiful and don't worry 'bout society's mores.

I'm a size sixteen, and think that I will look fabulous with long hair! I also don't think of myself as plus size, even if I am....:grin:

Hey! I'm 5 feet 4 inches tall and a size 16/18 (very proportionate thankfully) and I'm ok with being Plus Sized. I'm interested in being healthy but not thin/skinny.

1. Do you ever feel self-conscience about posting pics on here in your bra or tank top? I usually post pics in a sarong. I don't like doing bra shots because there are pervs out there. lol I'm kinda modest too so I'm sure that has something to do with it.

2. Do you feel that BSL and beyond on you does not look the same as BSL on someone much smaller? I don't feel like that at all because of size. But I do think that straight hair looks different but it's because of my long head and oval face.

3. Do you feel that your hair would look longer at any length if you were smaller. My hair would look longer on someone else! :lol: Hair anorexia at it's finest.

4 Has anyone ever told you that "Big Girls" look better with short hair or long hair makes you look bigger? Yesssssssss I've heard that short hair makes you look better. (BUH!) I think it depends on your facial features and not your weight. I love seeing longer healthy hair on any size woman.

You speaking to me, lol. I posted a pic in my bra. My bra band is about 4 inches so by the time I pass it I should be MBL, lol. I'm actually past it now, but to me it's still looking short. I bought that shirt too, but my hair is already longer than the last mark on the shirt so it's time to get out the permenant markers.

This is me too! I think I'm going to just bypass midback all together and go straight to WSL. My bra strap is just that big!

I'm a size 26 5'5"

When I first joined the hair boards I didn't have a problem taking bra pics, but I read a thread on another board where folks were cracking on the fotki pics of a plus sized member here. After that all my pics have been with a top on.

2. Do you feel that BSL and beyond on you does not look the same as BSL on someone much smaller? yep

I know that the broadness of my back isn't related to being 'big boned' so yeah if I was smaller my hair would look closer to bsl than apl.

I've never heard that. I actually think that short hair looks good on the Victoria Beckham body types.

My name is vkb247 and I'm a big girl checking in.

I don't have enough hair to answer any of those questions yet but I have never heard #4. but that sure won't stop me from HHG!

I'm a size 26 5'5"

When I first joined the hair boards I didn't have a problem taking bra pics, but I read a thread on another board where folks were cracking on the fotki pics of a plus sized member here. After that all my pics have been with a top on.

2. Do you feel that BSL and beyond on you does not look the same as BSL on someone much smaller? yep

I know that the broadness of my back isn't related to being 'big boned' so yeah if I was smaller my hair would look closer to bsl than apl.

I've never heard that. I actually think that short hair looks good on the Victoria Beckham body types.

To the red :nono: That's really sad.

I am 5ft 6" size 18/20.

lol you really want them to boot me off here....:yep:

Me personally, it's all about thickness rather than length. But yeah BSl would look different on someone more petite than I.
Not sure as I have a large head period.

No not really, but some large females can pull off a short haircut, but moi :nono:. Let's not forget some big girls have slim faces and some have not.
If any of these questions apply to you, please explain your answer. Thanks Ladies:yep:[/quote]
Your welcome.

Hello! I'm not sure if I'm still considered a big girl. I'm 5' 7 1/2" and I used to be a size 28 at my heaviest, but I stayed for the longest at a size 20/22. Now I'm a size 14, but I spent most of my life as a big girl so I want to answer the questions :grin:.

1. Do you ever feel self-conscience about posting pics on here in your bra or tank top? Yes. I usually crop the photos so that only what's necessary shows and non of my "wobbly bits" do, lol.
2. Do you feel that BSL and beyond on you does not look the same as BSL on someone much smaller? When I reached apl I was about a size 18/20 (I believe) and my hair seemed so short compared to others who had reached apl at that time.
3. Do you feel that your hair would look longer at any length if you were smaller. To me my hair would look longer because when you're a bit bigger things don't look as they appear. Your hair may appear to be a short but it's actually apl, at least that's how it was for me.
4 Has anyone ever told you that "Big Girls" look better with short hair or long hair makes you look bigger? NO!! I looked so weird when I had my hair cut short. To me when big girls have longer hair it makes them look better, especially if they have round faces. I had a very round face and when I had short hair it (to me) it made my face appear even more round. Long hair disguises a lot of things, lol.

Last edited:
Back