OK JBCO IS WEIRD!

Irresistible

Yeah I'm slow trying stuff sometimes. Been hearing about this stuff for years now, I just tried it for the first time

Its thick, icky, sticky kinda, but soft and moisturizing

I dont know how I feel about this oil yet, it was just so different

feels like it could really build up too

you ladies have any issues with build up using this? also the ability to spread this oil was not easy, what do you ladies do to really get it worked in your hair, do you cut it with another lighter oil?

I'm waiting to see how my hair feels after some time with it in my hair, got it two funky sticky really oily but shiny soft braids right now

right now I have mixed feelings:perplexed

See..I don't find it to be as thick/icky as the castor oil I buy on iherb.com. And I use castor oil a lot and haven't had any issues w/ buildup. My hair has more buildup issues from coconut oil.

Your hair needs to be really wet.

Try putting on right after you wash/rinse and plait your hair up for the nite. Take it down and you will be loving it!

Your hair needs to be really wet.

Try putting on right after you wash/rinse and plait your hair up for the nite. Take it down and you will be loving it!
ohhhh I did it on dry hair :ohwell:

ok next time on wet hair

from the 'feel' of it I can feel what your saying is probably true , feel me?:lachen:

See..I don't find it to be as thick/icky as the castor oil I buy on iherb.com. And I use castor oil a lot and haven't had any issues w/ buildup. My hair has more buildup issues from coconut oil.
Blasphemy against my coconut oil? :lachen:

so weird that never builds up for me

maybe this is just gonna take some getting used to, gonna try it on wet hair next time like Bint said , I can tell it has the potential to be really hella softening though already:yep:

Hey Girly,

Im glad you brough this up. I have been wanting to try this and forgot.
I am going to get some depending on one thing......
would you tell me what it smells like please?

Puff

Hey Girly,

Im glad you brough this up. I have been wanting to try this and forgot.
I am going to get some depending on one thing......
would you tell me what it smells like please?

Puff

yeah thats VERY important to me too

it has a 'not so good' scent, but its so mild you cant really smell it at all on your hair, in fact my hair is full of it right now and I can still smell my previous conditioner I used days ago *sniffs hair*

I dont think the scent will be a big issue

If you don't like it, you can send it to me.:grin:

Girl I will surely do that for you! :yep:

its definitely 'different' than any other oil Ive ever used, gotta give it a minute to see how Im'a feel about it plus gotta try it on wet hair like Bint suggested (see she didnt even know I put on dry hair either so that tells me I stand a good shot on liking it on wet hair like she said)

I'll keep u posted , if not , its yours sweetie

Girl I will surely do that for you! :yep:

its definitely 'different' than any other oil Ive ever used, gotta give it a minute to see how Im'a feel about it plus gotta try it on wet hair like Bint suggested (see she didnt even know I put on dry hair either so that tells me I stand a good shot on liking it on wet hair like she said)

I'll keep u posted , if not , its yours sweetie

I hope it works for you.:yep: But if it doesn't, I'll gladly take it off of your hands.:kiss:

Irresistible like you, I'm JUST getting around to trying this one (LOL...I received it 1 day ago) and like you, I'm normally a coconut oil user. If you're talking about the stuff from Sams, we're in the same boat. Three bottles of this will take lifetimes to get rid of, so you can break some off for Platinum ;) . A little goes a very long way here, I suspect. Use too much and you'll SERIOUSLY regret it. Bint Yusef's suggestion is a good one, but have a very light hand w/ this oil....it's really tacky and deceptive, methinks.

So far, I find it alot less thick and stinky than I anticipated, but the oil IS really different to conventional castor oil (I dislike this) and most other "heavy oils" I've encountered. This oil I think could benefit from some dilution w/ something like jojoba or even coconut itself! :) It has a "tackiness" that can be cut by another oil, so I'm not sure I'd use this neat on the bulk of my hair. Alone, it's fine for edges, ends, and nape cuz it has "cling".

As for the smell, it's far less than I expected considering it's UNrefined castor oil and better than refined (white) castor I've found, oddly. I'm going to experiment w/ this a bit, but I can tell you it does have serious buildup issues if you aren't careful. My advice, don't use it on your whole head undiluted...stick to edges, nape, and ends for now.

Last edited:
Irresistible like you, I'm JUST getting around to trying this one (LOL...I received it 1 day ago) and like you, I'm normally a coconut oil user. If you're talking about the stuff from Sams, we're in the same boat. Three bottles of this will take lifetimes to get rid of, so you can break some off for Platinum ;) . A little goes a very long way here, I suspect. Use too much and you'll SERIOUSLY regret it. Bint Yusef's suggestion is a good one, but have a very light hand w/ this oil....it's really tacky and deceptive, methinks.

So far, I find it alot less thick and stinky than I anticipated, but the oil IS really different to conventional castor oil (I dislike this) and most other "heavy oils" I've encountered. This oil I think could benefit from some dilution w/ something like jojoba or even coconut itself! :) It has a "tackiness" that can be cut by another oil, so I'm not sure I'd use this neat on the bulk of my hair. Alone, it's fine for edges, ends, and nape cuz it has "cling".

As for the smell, it's far less than I expected considering it's UNrefined castor oil and better than refined (white) castor I've found, oddly. I'm going to experiment w/ this a bit, but I can tell you it does have serious buildup issues if you aren't careful. My advice, don't use it on your whole head undiluted...stick to edges, nape, and ends for now.
*Gulp* Too late...........:lachen:

oh god now what have I went and done? like the first time I tried Shea Butter and globbed it on.....:wallbash: my hand doesnt know nothin but heavy girl! *sigh*

ur right I felt that 'cling' , errm that was a good description girl.....

uh oh

Last edited:
Like me, your hair doesn't seem to like very thick oils...LOL, that's why I avoided this one until now. However, I think this oil can be a gem if used properly for your needs and it's properties. Neat may be too much for us.

The one thing about being natural and having very long hair is the instinct to use more of something. I've learned to try new stuff on edges or nape to avoid the GUNK than can happen. On long hair, that's no joke indeed. Usually hair like this (both natural and long) requires more stuff than a relaxed head, so your instinct is always to use more. Don't beat up on yourself for that heavy hand girl, we all have it! LOL With certain oils and butters like shea, castor, and even olive this tendency will get us in trouble. LOL..it's a simple wash out and I think that's where you'll see the good in this oil. You'll have a new softness, methinks...tho I haven't tried it this way. Maybe you should call this adventure a "hot oil treatment"...LOL.

My gut instinct, fellow coconut head, is that you used too much to start! LOL

Like me, your hair doesn't seem to like very thick oils...LOL, that's why I avoided this one until now. However, I think this oil can be a gem if used properly for your needs and it's properties. Neat may be too much for us.

The one thing about being natural and having very long hair is the instinct to use more of something. I've learned to try new stuff on edges or nape to avoid the GUNK than can happen. On long hair, that's no joke indeed. Usually hair like this (both natural and long) requires more stuff than a relaxed head, so your instinct is always to use more. Don't beat up on yourself for that heavy hand girl, we all have it! LOL With certain oils and butters like shea, castor, and even olive this tendency will get us in trouble. LOL..it's a simple wash out and I think that's where you'll see the good in this oil. You'll have a new softness, methinks...tho I haven't tried it this way. Maybe you should call this adventure a "hot oil treatment"...LOL.

My gut instinct, fellow coconut head, is that you used too much to start! LOL
Girl your so right and GUNK it is, but its soooo weird , I just took it down and combed it DRY still with the oil. I'm so confused now girl, its heavy and gunky but so SOFT! no sheds and the comb just slid through like butter, it reminds of an oily honey or something, I like it and I DONT ,but I THINK your very right the benefits will be after the treatment on the wash out.

here are some pics I just took , I am trippin off this stuff, this is the best my hair has felt or LOOKED (curl definition and shine) 'TOTALLY DRY' EVER! Yet it also feels the tackiest *haha*

This is crazy girl. This oil has thrown me for a loop:spinning:

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

BTW, I'd read all the "JBCO" and "h'uile d'maskriti" (pretty much the same thing...unrefined castor oil) posts and one thing the Jamaicans and Haitians consistently said is that the oil tended to be used on the scalp rather than the bulk of the hair. If you have dry areas of the scalp, try it there. Right now, I'm doing an experiment on someone ;)..they are losing their eyebrows and I'm having them simply take a little on their finger neat and wipe their brows at night. Both Haitians and Jamaicans have indicated that it can grow hair when used in this way (or on edges/nape/etc), so we're trying this for 1 month-6 weeks to see what happens. It's "cling" is really useful there cuz a little will simply "stick" to the brows. Just FYI.

Last edited:
Irresistible Needless to say, your hair is BEAUTIFUL regardless. I like the shine this oil gives on you. I think this might be a keeper for you once you get the hang of it. When you wash, be sure to make sure you get it ALL...LOL, in hair that length, it's easier said than done. It's nice that you don't have much shedding when combed, tho...unexpected tbh. Heavy oils usually bring those sheds out in droves, so that's a good sign.

As I say, try it on the small areas and scalp if you want neat, but on hair...dilute.

Once you do your "hot oil" treatment and rinse it out, next time do a half-half w/ coconut and report back. I think you'll get all the good and none of the bad there.

Hi Platinum

You never cease to amaze me about your hair.:thud: It's gorgeous! I can't wait to have your length.
Thank you sweetie! This hair steadily kicks my Arse! I honestly at times just dont feel I can manage it , it has its own set of issues to add to my life, it comes with a price, alot of time and energy, I wouldnt trade it but I would take it a little less work involved at times:yep:

thats why sometimes it suffers from neglect and a forced KISS regemin:lachen:

15 years and quite a few MAJOR set backs and here I is! :grin:

BTW, I'd read all the "JBCO" and "h'uile d'maskriti" (pretty much the same thing...unrefined castor oil) posts and one thing the Jamaicans and Haitians consistently said is that the oil tended to be used on the scalp rather than the bulk of the hair. If you have dry areas of the scalp, try it there. Right now, I'm doing an experiment on someone ;)..they are losing their eyebrows and I'm having them simply take a little on their finger and wipe their brows at night. Both Haitians and Jamaicans have indicated that it can grow hair when used in this way (or on edges/nape/etc), so we're trying this for 1 month-6 weeks to see what happens. It's "cling" is really useful there cuz a little will simply "stick" to the brows. Just FYI.
oh wow, on the scalp? girl even then it seems so hard to spread, but that makes more sense also, I read about the eyelashes and eyebrows, I have long lashes, but who couldnt use some thicker/longer ones at any point? I was thinking of trying that too:yep:

my scalp is never dry cause I constantly have 'wet head' both litterally and with moisturizing products and oils

this oil is just strange girl , I will probably use it like you said and also try it how Bint said , on wet hair and/or as a treatment before a CW

Irresistible Needless to say, your hair is BEAUTIFUL regardless. I like the shine this oil gives on you. I think this might be a keeper for you once you get the hang of it. When you wash, be sure to make sure you get it ALL...LOL, in hair that length, it's easier said than done. It's nice that you don't have much shedding when combed, tho...unexpected tbh. Heavy oils usually bring those sheds out in droves, so that's a good sign.

As I say, try it on the small areas and scalp if you want neat, but on hair...dilute.

Once you do your "hot oil" treatment and rinse it out, next time do a half-half w/ coconut and report back. I think you'll get all the good and none of the bad there.

Hi Platinum
Thank you so much girl!

@ the bolded , I think thats EXACTLY why I was/am so shocked! :eek2: thats exactly what I expected, in fact I WAS scared of that , but nada!

I totally agree with you on diluting , its still too thick to even spread lightly for a heavy hand, the best way to make sure is dilution at this point. its a keeper I THINK though. I will be reporting back for sure! Girl when I put that Shea Butter in my hair like it was some 'hoity toity' grease that first time I used it, it took weeks to get it out :lachen:

u might like this on your hair, are you gonna try it too?

ETA: dang its early LOL

Last edited:
I haven't gotten far enough for the "spreadability test" yet, but I did try it on my eyebrows. So far, so good...esp. w/ the stink factor. I figure if it's just above my nose and doesn't reek, it's A-OK. I think the Jamaicans/Haitians prefer the scalp instead of hair for issues of smell! LOL....they have said that it's fine on the scalp, but the smell is too much for hair. Several ladies bought the stuff from Sams and then went to see Mama...she smelled their head, then the bottle, laughed and reached under the sink for Grandmas home brew! LOL The Mamas proceed to tease the daughters about how they HATED it when they were kids, but now they paid $$$ for something almost every Caribbean home has on GP.

I don't find the Sams stuff too bad, this is coming from someone who uses Vedic stuff...LOL, but I can see how difficult the smell could be for some.

Funny, I just got this stuff and have been doing the smell/feel test on it, but you went whole hog. It's good to know what to expect a bit...I now figure the oil needs to be cut even for scalp...maybe mixed in a nice little mixture. Tho neat for the small stuff like ends.

Since you're trying Caribbean stuff, have you ever tried the Betty Hutton line? LOL..the name cracks me up cuz she as a famous Hwood actress.

I haven't gotten far enough for the "spreadability test" yet, but I did try it on my eyebrows. So far, so good...esp. w/ the stink factor. I figure if it's just above my nose and doesn't reek, it's A-OK. I think the Jamaicans/Haitians prefer the scalp instead of hair for issues of smell! LOL....they have said that it's fine on the scalp, but the smell is too much for hair. Several ladies bought the stuff from Sams and then went to see Mama...she smelled their head, then the bottle, laughed and reached under the sink for Grandmas home brew! LOL The Mamas proceed to tease the daughters about how they HATED it when they were kids, but now they paid $$$ for something almost every Caribbean home has on GP.

I don't find the Sams stuff too bad, this is coming from someone who uses Vedic stuff...LOL, but I can see how difficult the smell could be for some.

Funny, I just got this stuff and have been doing the smell/feel test on it, but you went whole hog. It's good to know what to expect a bit...I now figure the oil needs to be cut even for scalp...maybe mixed in a nice little mixture. Tho neat for the small stuff like ends.

Since you're trying Caribbean stuff, have you ever tried the Betty Hutton line? LOL..the name cracks me up cuz she as a famous Hwood actress.
Sams was sold out when I went to order, got mine from Honeyfig after a search, I wonder if they are the same? This has hardly any scent at all, A mild one though, But Macadamia nut Oil and Black Seed Oil bothered me more! Especially macadamia nut , ewww.

Girl I aint never heard of Betty Hutton , what's or who is that? girl I dont venture too far :lachen:

ur gonna have a bunch of folks on google now :lachen:

Last edited:
:lachen::lachen: @ whole hog. I always do that stupid 'ish' :lachen:

Do you have the link for Honeyfig? LOL..too lazy to search. I think it's probably the same thing tho...it's bottled, not in a jar and middling brown, right? The brownness comes from the fact they cook the beans before boiling them in water.

Betty Hutton is a hair care line that's popular in Haiti and among other Black French/Caribbean folks, tho I think it may be made in France. It's fairly old school in ingredients and approach from what I gather, but it sounds like solid goodness. Unlike Dominican stuff, it seems more protein-moisture balanced and a bit less exotic w/ ingredients. The actress, who died in 2007, was very popular in the 40-50s...she did "Annie Get Your Gun" and several other musical type films. She was a blonde Judy Garland type, but less refined and more fun. She was a very 40s types star like Betty Grable. LOL..I didn't know which Betty you were asking about, so I told you about both! ;)

Oh yeah, I'll try it on hair, but I'm going to make sure coconut is the bigger part of my mix. I'll go neat on nape, ends, and edges. BTW, i recall someone saying this type of castor helps hair get and stay dark...always a plus, I say!

Mine from Sams also has a very mild scent, so I think you have the goods. On Ebay, there's someone selling a mixture w/ EOs and the like...I bought a tiny bottle for $3 total cuz I want to compare to the neat Sams stuff and it has an A+ mixtue. If the texture of the mixed oil is just right, I think I could mix it w/ the neat and get a good spread. I'm thinking the mixed stuff ought to be a little lighter, so you might consider looking into it.

Do you have the link for Honeyfig? LOL..too lazy to search. I think it's probably the same thing tho...it's bottled, not in a jar and middling brown, right? The brownness comes from the fact they cook the beans before boiling them in water.

Betty Hutton is a hair care line that's popular in Haiti and among other Black French/Caribbean folks, tho I think it may be made in France. It's fairly old school in ingredients and approach from what I gather, but it sounds like solid goodness. Unlike Dominican stuff, it seems more protein-moisture balanced and a bit less exotic w/ ingredients. The actress, who died in 2007, was very popular in the 40-50s...she did "Annie Get Your Gun" and several other musical type films. She was a blonde Judy Garland type, but less refined and more fun. She was a very 40s types star like Betty Grable. LOL..I didn't know which Betty you were asking about, so I told you about both! ;)

Oh yeah, I'll try it on hair, but I'm going to make sure coconut is the bigger part of my mix. I'll go neat on nape, ends, and edges. BTW, i recall someone saying this type of castor helps hair get and stay dark...always a plus, I say!
Honeyfig.com , yeah your describing it to a T. her products sound interesting too , if this Castor oil can keep my hair dark then oh yeah thats a huge plus! That alone makes it worth using if it can truly deliver that result:yep:

Mine from Sams also has a very mild scent, so I think you have the goods. On Ebay, there's someone selling a mixture w/ EOs and the like...I bought a tiny bottle for $3 total cuz I want to compare to the neat Sams stuff and it has an A+ mixtue. If the texture of the mixed oil is just right, I think I could mix it w/ the neat and get a good spread. I'm thinking the mixed stuff ought to be a little lighter, so you might consider looking into it.

That sounds interesting too , girl your gonna have me ordering a gang of more stuff, thank you Jamaraa! haha

let me know how you like it when you try it

Sams was sold out when I went to order, got mine from Honeyfig after a search, I wonder if they are the same? This has hardly any scent at all, A mild one though, But Macadamia nut Oil and Black Seed Oil bothered me more! Especially macadamia nut , ewww.

Girl I aint never heard of Betty Hutton , what's or who is that? girl I dont venture too far :lachen:

ur gonna have a bunch of folks on google now :lachen:

@ the bolded :sekret:

Honeyfig and Sams sell the exact same brand...Honeyfig is just more expensive by 2 dollars. :rolleyes: and their "express mail" is is priority mail via the USPS. :rolleyes: won't be messin wit Honeyfig no more :down::nono:

Last edited:
Back