OK, it's official...

Southernbella.

I am a hot comb convert!

I'd always felt that ceramic flat irons didn't do much for my natural hair. They got my hair straight enough, but it was always wispy, if that makes sense. It would be really light and airy and wouldn't really hang the way I wanted.

Well, I bought a Hot N Silky electric pressing comb when Sally's had that Black Friday sale.

I finally got around to using it the other day, and I LOVE IT!

1) My roots are 100% straight
2) My hair is bulkier and hangs heavier
3) I can comb it without it getting all wispy and puffy
4) It holds curl better
5) It has more body
6) It got straighter (initially. I do live in GA, after all :lol:)

So I'm done with ceramic. I know, I know, ceramic is better for your hair. Well, if I'm going to use heat, I want the results I desire.:yep: Besides, it won't be a regular thing.

I know what you're going to say. Pics:lol:

I have some to upload, but my hair doesn't really look all that different from when I flat iron it. It just feels a lot better.

ETA:
S7307996.jpg

S7307992.jpg

S7307990.jpg

See, it looks like it always does when I straighten it. I just love the way it feels. :yep:

Last edited:
:amen:Hot Combs are awesome! I've been using it throughout my natural journey and its amazing I have the hot tools one and it never fails me I turn it to eight it gets my roots beautifully.

ETA: My Maxiglide did put my hot comb into retirement though:look: since I no longer need a separate step to catch my roots, but for those that dont have a maxiglide or arent a fan of the detangling pins hot combs are the way to go:yep:

Since we're the same hair type and texture I would suggest you hot comb and then do a pass or two with a ceramic flat iron to seal it and make the press really last, I've found with my hair type the hot comb alone isnt enough and woud revert much more easily whereas when I finish it off with a pass of the flat iron it seals the deal and keeps me silky till wash day:yep:

Last edited:
:amen:Hot Combs are awesome! I've been using it throughout my natural journey and its amazing I have the hot tools one and it never fails me I turn it to eight it gets my roots beautifully.

Since we're the same hair type and texture I would suggest you hot comb and then do a pass or two with a ceramic flat iron to seal it and make the press really last, I've found with my hair type the hot comb alone isnt enough and woud revert much more easily whereas when I finish it off with a pass of the flat iron it seals the deal and keeps me silky till wash day:yep:

What I did was curl it with my Gold N Hot curling iron right after I finished pressing a section. :yep: I did that more for my ends, though.

I do this with a 10+ yo pressing comb and a $20 "ceramic" flat iron :grin: (yes I am the queen of frugal) this is the ONLY way I straighten my hair and it comes out SILKY STRAIGHT! I'm planning on buying a brand new pressing comb, and I may invest in a good flat iron in the future. This method is THE WAY for kinky naturals :yep:

Ya know, I was wondering about going ahead and getting a hot comb. The flat iron alone just doesn't do it for my natural hair. I guess once I come out of (hide)bernation in the spring, I'll do a press and curl.

I'm glad you found something you love. However, I will say to be careful. The heat from hot combs are intense. I've always been natural and I only know the state of my hair in its natural state. In my freshman year of college, I didn't know what to do with my hair and I frequently hot combed it. By the end of the year, my hair was MUCH thinner and some parts didn't revert back as quickly. Since that period, I haven't allowed my hair to touch a hot comb. Becareful and watch how your hair is reacting over time.

Okay just because this is officialy my favorite line in these thread.....

Where da pics?

girl, nah, they been sayin: "where da pitchas?" around these parts lately. :rofl:

ETA: Southernbella, I already know ya pics are gonna be on point!! so, i'll be waiting!!

The bolded is exaclty what my stylist does and my hair does NOT revert - even after working out....which scares me sometimes :look: lol, but it always goes back when I wash it. I'm too lazy to do it myself though, but I think I may start since I can't see her as much as I want.

I'm glad you found something you love. However, I will say to be careful. The heat from hot combs are intense. I've always been natural and I only know the state of my hair in its natural state. In my freshman year of college, I didn't know what to do with my hair and I frequently hot combed it. By the end of the year, my hair was MUCH thinner and some parts didn't revert back as quickly. Since that period, I haven't allowed my hair to touch a hot comb. Becareful and watch how your hair is reacting over time.

For real. I think you need to really be on top of your DC's and properly protecting hair. I've heard a few stories of girls who have literally singed their hair right off with prolonged use.

Got to agree though, the hot comb is the one....

According to Pinkskates, the queen of the hot comb press, recommends a special device that checks the heat intensity of your hot comb. She mentioned the name here several times, I forget.

The straightening comb has always been my standby... I tried a flat iron and comb chase and felt like , it was too much work and then my hair didn't look exactly the way I wanted it to look. So with all the maxiglide talk going on, I've been really tempted to give it a try. But you know what nothing beats ole faithful... I may try using the flat iron to seal the press though. Hmmmmmm:scratchch

Can't wait to see the pics!!

Found it!
Golden Supreme Heat Tester has Taken the "guess work" out of thermal iron heat. This unit measures the temperature of the thermal iron.Gives reliable temperature range whether working on fine hair, processed hair or coarse hair. 10 lights to indicate heat range, low, medium, and high. Permits the stylist to determine the exact temperature needed in styling any type of hair from fine hair to hair that's been damaged from over treatment by chemicals, to long and thick, coarse hair.

Back