October 2013 Hits & Misses

New HITS:

Komaza Coconut Milk: I used this on blow dried hair. It moisturizes, but did not weigh it down, or had my hair looking stringy. It absorbs quickly, and it is not greasy. I think having my protein game on point helps.

Palmers Coconut Oil Formula Deep Conditioning Protein Pack: I found this to be a very good protein treatment for my fine strands. I have really been upping my protein treatments, and I can see a difference in my hair. One pack per two shampoos. They are cheap ($1.49 a pack). I bought this from Target. I just realized that is does have dimethicone 1/3 on the ingredient list. I try very hard to steer clear of cones, but I will use this up, because I like it. And I may buy it again.

EnExitStageLeft "Why does this not work for me:( "

My hair doesn't care for the protein in it. Also it doesn't have that much slip. It is thick and smells amazing so I keep waiting for it to work. But, its always just...okay. I keep it for the smell and as a refresher when I haven't used protein that month (which is rare). I have had it since last Black Friday.

DoDo

The smell is my reasoning for keeping it for so long. I even bought a pumpkin spice fragrance oil because of it :lachen:.

EnExitStageLeft

I know right? Every time I sniff that conditioner I go to my happy place :lol:, especially during the fall!

Are you talking about the pumpkin spice version of the KeraVada oil? If that is the one let me know if you like the smell when you get it.

On the fence:
Camille Rose Fresh Curl Moisturizer -
While it does soften my hair, it leaves this weird film on it and makes it sticky. I might just use it to finger-detangle before I shampoo but I was hoping I would fall in love with it. :(

ETA:
I have to add my disappointing miss of the week:
Koils by Nature Peppermint Gel (new formula) -
I fell in love with the old formula, the strong peppermint smelling kind of soupy texture. I could use it on my edges erryday without flaking at all and it made my hair so soft! I got a new sample jar of the gel a week ago and it's been flaking on me BAD. Wherever I applied it there were just humongous crazy flakes and my hair was dry. The new sample looks totally different, a white pudding rather than a darkish soupy consistency and only smells very faintly of peppermint with no herbs whatsoever. I emailed them and they said they didn't reformulate it but reduced the peppermint.. :look: I'm sad because it was my holy grail edge gel :( My hair hasn't been having a good week!

Last edited:
Continued Hits-

Hairitage Hydration-Wild Grow oil,warmed on stove..Melt the tangles away,felt so good on my scalp,could feel it sinking in...

Claudies-Kahve Dc,hair is left strong/smooth/soft at the same time..No shedding..This is a continued keeper...Plays well with all my leave-ins/rinse outs...

Marie Dean-Amla hair cream..This is super thick/creamy...I like applying it in my ends,makes them feel stronger/smooth...small jar/last a long time...Feels like it gives the lower length of my hair strength.

Happy Hair Growing!

Last edited:
Continued Hits:
Hydratherma Naturals Amino Protein DC'er
Naturelle Grow's Ginger Peach Spritz
KeraVada's Nettle Hair Oil
KeraVada's Ayurvedic Hair Butter

Hit: Havana Twists! My sister did them for the low low and they are super light and I love the look and convenience. I'm not sure when I will be wearing my hair again.

Hit: Hairveda's Methi Sativa Protein Masque

Continued hit: Hairveda's Phinishing Rinse; The Pomade Shops Coffee Pomade; Manuka Honey; Peppermint Oil, and Rosemary Oil

M first impression of:
Silk Dreams Chocolate Bliss DC

The packaging for silk dreams is ok, pretty labels but they bleed really easily when water gets on them. The smell of Chocolate Bliss is great! It smells faint (which is great because I was allergic to Kizuri's Chocolate DC) and smells like chocolate pudding with a hint of mocha. Really yummy! And the smell lingers on your hair after rinsing out. I did an ACV rinse and I can still smell it. :)
The consistency is like a really thick moussy pudding. I applied it to towel-blotted hair and I was like :look: ... Because of it is so thick, it was a bit hard to spread and at first it seemed like it was just sitting on my hair. The next time I use it I will definitely make sure my hair is a bit wetter before application. I used a little less than 1/4th of the jar and I have ear length 4a/4b med density hair.
I left the DC on for 3.5 hrs and then rinsed..the slip isn't amazing for my hair but I was able to finger detangle carefully and remove shed hair. It rinses out really easily but I can tell that I needed an ACV rinse because the DC isn't that acidic. After hopping out the shower my hair was SOFT. This DC wins!! I can't stop touching my hair! The major downside is that the application isn't great and it does sit on the hair at first so I think using it with heat or letting it sit for a longer period of time is probably better.

HIT
TRESemme Naturals Vibrantly Smooth Conditioner - This conditioner has far more slip and surprisingly is more moisturizing than the Nourishing Moisture Conditioner one. Seen and heard quite a few people tell me that the Vibrantly Smooth one is far superior, upset it took me this long to try it for myself.

MISS
TGIN Honey Miracle Hair Mask - Chile.....horrible. The first impression I was getting as I was applying it was "this is going to be a horrible fail." Did not like how it was going on or how it was making my hair feel as I was applying it. I used it with heat. Didn't like how my hair felt while I was letting my hair "cool" before rinsing. I thought the detangling capabilities would be this products saving grace since CharyJay was singing high praises about that in particular......detangling was anything but easy. I didn't attempt to detangle on dripping wet hair like Chary did in her vid though, whatever the case thumbs down all around for this product.

HIT
TRESemme Naturals Vibrantly Smooth Conditioner - This conditioner has far more slip and surprisingly is more moisturizing than the Nourishing Moisture Conditioner one. Seen and heard quite a few people tell me that the Vibrantly Smooth one is far superior, upset it took me this long to try it for myself.

MISS
TGIN Honey Miracle Hair Mask - Chile.....horrible. The first impression I was getting as I was applying it was "this is going to be a horrible fail." Did not like how it was going on or how it was making my hair feel as I was applying it. I used it with heat. Didn't like how my hair felt while I was letting my hair "cool" before rinsing. I thought the detangling capabilities would be this products saving grace since CharyJay was singing high praises about that in particular......detangling was anything but easy. I didn't attempt to detangle on dripping wet hair like Chary did in her vid though, whatever the case thumbs down all around for this product.

AGREED! :yep:

Continued Hits-

Hairitage Hydration-Wild Grow oil,warmed on stove..Melt the tangles away,felt so good on my scalp,could feel it sinking in...

Claudies-Kahve Dc,hair is left strong/smooth/soft at the same time..No shedding..This is a continued keeper...Plays well with all my leave-ins/rinse outs...

Marie Dean-Amla hair cream..This is super thick/creamy...I like applying it in my ends,makes them feel stronger/smooth...small jar/last a long time...Feels like it gives the lower length of my hair strength.

Happy Hair Growing!

Hita Lita, this sounds so good. I am definitely going to treat myself and warm some of my growth oil on the stove for a true hot oil treatment. Thanks for this great idea!!

Hit:
Purabody murumuru milk

Miss:
Camille Rose Fresh Curl (I have a blog review on this coming out Wed)

Bee Mine botanicals shampoo (too stripping)

Camille Rose curlaid moisture butter (too heavy for my hair. I like the almond jai though)

Hits:

Camille Rose Naturals Fresh Curl Revitalizing Hair Smoother
Jane Carter Solution Incredible Curls

Miss:

Eden Bodyworks Coconut Shea Curl Defining Cream

HIT

Hairitage Hydration
Caramel Frappuccino - smells delicious. Like sweet caramel with a dash of coffee. Seals really well. No greasy residue. Perfect soft hair...

Ongoing Hit

-Aussie Moist 3 Minute Miracle - Nothing, gives more slip. Hair feels like butter everytime

-Suave Almond & Shea Butter conditioner - great as a conditioner wash, great as a leave in

Hit
-Trader Joe's Moisture Balancing Shampoo - I shampoo my hair every few weeks and this left my hair feeling clean, but not stripped

-Aloe Vera Gel - Helps lock moisture in my daughter's 4a hair.

On the Fence
-Trader Joe's Nourish Spa Conditioner rinsed out - I've yet to use it as a rinsed out conditioner, but left in it was a...

Miss
-Trader Joe's Nourish Spa Conditioner as a leave in. -It felt good going on, but as it dried, my hair felt parched. I think it has too much protein for me to leave it in.

Back