None of this stuff is making my hair grow faster

I've been putting WGO on my scalp every morning for a little over a month. No change:mad:
I've been puttting a homemade MTG concoction on every evening. No change:mad:
I was doing scalp massages nightly. I did that for about a month. Guess what? No change.:mad:
I took HF37 vitamins. Even making sure I took Step 1 w/food and Step 2 wtihout. You know how hard that is? No change.:mad:
I took Gelatin capsules as well. Nails are growing fast and look healthy ;)
Ends look great. No splits or anything. ;)
No dandruff thanks to WGO :) /:cool:
So, now I've changed my regimen to taking Biotin twice daily and upping my MSM.
I seriously think my hair grows 1/4" a month. I haven't had a perm in over 2 mos and would say I have about 1/2 inch of new growth :mad:
Is there anyone out there who is as slow a grower as me and didn't have initial success w/the popular regimens for growth? If so, please encourage me :( . I've worked so hard at this. I even have a daily planner where I check off when I take my vitamins and oil my scalp.

It sounds like u R doing everything right. Sometimes some products work for some, but not others. I don't know if u tried this yet, but the neosporin AF everyone is raving about actually works! If U get desparate enough maybe U will try it.:lol:

Hey girl,

I FEEL you. I came to this broad in 2004 and tried everything under the moon all at the same time for 3 mos and nothing but my usual growth! My hair use to always grow sloooow. My hair has always been the shortest in the family.

What I did was kept it simple and stopped looking for overnight success and wore braids so that i wouldn't focus on my hair soo much. My hair started growing like a weed. My family is coming to me now for advice. Although my hair grew i didnt take care of it and I had that dang Wave Nouveau in my hair so i decided to start over and cut off a lot of my hair.

I'm doing the crown and glory method, the only topical (scalp) treatment I use is MTG with ylang ylang oil (to mask the smell) and I take a boat load of vits such as in my siggy. I think using too many products at the same time can have adverse effects. More is not always better. And if braids is not something ur into, try CW's and using less shampoo for moisture.

Hang in there don't get discourage, trust me I have been there thinking maybe my hair just doesn't grow!! but O yes it does!!! MTG is the truth, the only thing i am changing is Nioxin, I dont think its doing anything, its not even makin my nails grow. I'll probably switch to Twin Labs "hair factor" or GNC's Ultra "nourish hair" and adding more biotin. I am now averaging anywhere from 1 to 1.75 inches a month from my regimne, when before it was only .50 to .750. I think if i was more faithful I could achieve more

Hope this helps

I don't use any of the products everyone raves about on this board. I tried them...but went back to using PhytoSpecific products. Hair grows. If it didn't...you wouldn't need a touch-up. You have to learn how to MAINTAIN your hair growth by moisturizing, moisturizing, moisturizing.

anatomicallycorrect said:
I've been putting WGO on my scalp every morning for a little over a month. No change:mad:
I was doing scalp massages nightly. I did that for about a month. Guess what? No change.:mad:
I took HF37 vitamins. Even making sure I took Step 1 w/food and Step 2 wtihout. You know how hard that is? No change.:mad:
I seriously think my hair grows 1/4" a month. I haven't had a perm in over 2 mos and would say I have about 1/2 inch of new growth :mad:
Is there anyone out there who is as slow a grower as me and didn't have initial success w/the popular regimens for growth? If so, please encourage me :( . I've worked so hard at this. I even have a daily planner where I check off when I take my vitamins and oil my scalp.

Don't worry ... my hair only grows about 1/4 month as well.

You don't have splits, your ends look great and are healthy ... just let your hair do it's thing girl. My hair was at my shoulders when I first found hair sites ... now it's like 2" from my waist (can't tell since my hair has been braided for almost 2 years and I haven't had a relaxer in over 2 years).

Just keep babying your hair ... don't worry about the "fast fixes" because, in all reality, some of those things just can't change what genetics is greatly responsible for :) .

But trust me, being delingent with the care of my hair made more of an impact than any amount of vitamins that I have used to aid in the growth/health of my hair over the years.

If you want to try something easy and non-stinky for hair growth ... eat lots of egg whites, chicken breast, and ground turkey.

It's a long journey for us "slow-growing" girls but it's worth it. ;)

Also ... just a side note ... most routines, whether using vitamins or changing your diet, take at least 3-6 months to make any substantial differences.

I can relate!

I don't get that much growth a month--less than 1/2 inch. I am just trying to focus more on retaining what I am getting so I can still see progress--no matter how much.

I'm so sorry you're frustrated. It looks like your hair doesn't want to be forced to grow anymore than it can already. But this doesn't mean your hair won't grow at all. It grew all the years of your life, so it will just keep growing. You're doing everything right and I'm sure you will be at your goal before you know it! ;)

LiLi said:
Also ... just a side note ... most routines, whether using vitamins or changing your diet, take at least 3-6 months to make any substantial differences.

That would be my advice as well.... give it some time! As we all know: "A watched kettle never boils." It sounds like you are doing everything RIGHT. :) I would just relax and let some time go by.... keep following this regimen, but try not to look in the mirror at your hair every single day.... and avoid taking photographs tracking your progress just yet. Then check things out in about 6 months..... I bet you'll see the difference! :grin:

You say you have no splits or anything? Is that usual for you? If not, maybe the vitamins and the other stuff u are doing is working. Maybe you'll see overall improvement in health before you see length. anyway, keep ya head up. I'm sure you'll find something that works for you.

Chinagem, my ends were pretty ok before I started.
Thanks guys, for the responses and support. I guess I just got discouraged b/c I see all these "I grew 1 inch in 2 weeks!" threads and I'm popping pills all day and squirting stuff on my scalp and I just got discouraged.

Thanks guys, for the responses and support. I guess I just got discouraged b/c I see all these "I grew 1 inch in 2 weeks!" threads and I'm popping pills all day and squirting stuff on my scalp and I just got discouraged.

Same here! I've been doing it going on the 4th month now, going ALL out and not a thing. The only difference is that it's healthier and it doesn't break off as much. But no real length. I even have some patches of really broken off hair.

I think I'll throw it in a sewnin [though I despise then] while I make my decision about transitioning. That way I'm laying off the relaxers while at the same time not watching my hair not grow. I will not put any topicals on [too greasy], but I will continue my vitamin regimen.

I guess I just got discouraged b/c I see all these "I grew 1 inch in 2 weeks!" threads....

Girl I feel you! :lol: I find those threads a bit discouraging myself.... but then I have to remind myself that my hair is still thriving, but in its OWN way. It does more harm than good to keep comparing your own progress to the next woman's, tempting though it may be. :perplexed

As long as you can see some difference, with your new regimen, then you know that its working for you. But once again, i would just give it some time.... i bet the length will come.

I have been consistent with my hair, skin, nails vitamins, flaxseed, Omega fatty acids, eat alot of protein, tried MTG, used surge, 90 days on Nioxin, CWs, and nothing but 1 inch every 3 months, if that much. I will not try another thing. The good news, my hair is in a much better shape. The only problem I have is trying to ge that shine like every one else has.

matuncks said:
I have been consistent with my hair, skin, nails vitamins, flaxseed, Omega fatty acids, eat alot of protein, tried MTG, used surge, 90 days on Nioxin, CWs, and nothing but 1 inch every 3 months, if that much. I will not try another thing. The good news, my hair is in a much better shape. The only problem I have is trying to ge that shine like every one else has.

How long did you use MTG? And for how many nights consecutively? And how often were you washing?

In my experience, MTG works most effecively when you use it at least 2-4x a week, and when you keep it in your hair withOUT washing it out. So if you are one who washes or co-washes often, I don't think you'll get optimal results. I didnt start seeing the results of the MTG for like 4+ months. After that, there was a noticeable difference in thickness and length.

Surge didnt do anything for me either...... Ive pretty much achieved all my growth via MTG (and of course supplements, protective styles, moisturing, etc.)

I think consistency is the key. You're using all this stuff but it's only been two months. Hair, on average, only grows a half inch a month,... so what if you're below the world average! 1/2 inch of growth in 2 months in the beginning of spring is great growth. Your hair is not going to grow to your knees in two months--I don't care what product that you use. Trust me, in the summer it will grow faster, without using all that stuff.

How about being consistent with just one item?

Look, my hair grows 1/4 inch a month. Does that make you feel better? Your hair is growing, it's thriving. Take a break from all that stuff and just have fun with hair care. Don't make it a chore, make it a fun hobby. You can do this! You have so many people rooting for you! :weird:

The last 2 months of using MTG, I would put it in on my scalp 4 to 5 days, in the morning. I excercise frequently, so I would atleast run water through my hair at night (I am wearing a weave), and wash it about twice a week. When my hair is out, I CW daily, but would put the MTG in the morning. After not seeing any results from that, I discontinued last week. It resulted in breaking out my skin, but no significant hair growth.

I am now trying surge consistently and will just stick to the MTG shampoo and conditioner. I am one of those who is not so lucky when it comes to speedy hair growth products.:mad:

Sometimes the NG coils so tight and packed together you can barely see how much growth is really there. I know for my first 16wk stretch, I sure wasn't expecting to see 2-2 1/2 inches of extra length. So it maybe something there but just not as visible. You should get a growth t-shirt so you can keep track and see exactly how much growth your getting on touch up day.

I know girl, me too. I try to stay away from those threads now. I've just decided to try and enjoy my hair at the length it is.

matuncks said:
The last 2 months of using MTG, I would put it in on my scalp 4 to 5 days, in the morning. I excercise frequently, so I would atleast run water through my hair at night (I am wearing a weave), and wash it about twice a week. When my hair is out, I CW daily, but would put the MTG in the morning. After not seeing any results from that, I discontinued last week. It resulted in breaking out my skin, but no significant hair growth.

I am now trying surge consistently and will just stick to the MTG shampoo and conditioner. I am one of those who is not so lucky when it comes to speedy hair growth products.:mad:

Did I mention that I started in June 2005? I have stopped taking pics so as to not get discouraged. The crown of my head grows even more slowly. I was so hoping to be somewhere near shoulder length by June 2006. But that's ok, next year I will be there.:)

I'm sorry you are having so much trouble.
I've been here for a long time and am still learning.
It's possible that "maybe" your hair is going through the telogen stage. Telogen is the name for the resting stage of the hair growth cycle.
Maybe you'd have to do more moisturizing or change shampoos and see what you hair likes....or another idea may be to go natural. I've found more success that way...less damage to my hair.
However, all of the people who replied above me here are a great help. :yep:
Don't give up. Find out what works for you. Best Wishes. HTH

Now for a commerical interruption:
:weird: Hi DDtexlaxd.. :FlahsssssI'm just loving your hair photo & cute waves. Sending you a PM now.
~HP

you ladies are awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:) see AC--look at all of this experience and encouragement--you can do it!!!!!!!!!!! you will be glad that you re-focused yourself.

i sometimes questioned my routine, but i've started to see a change-no matter how slight, AC-just hang in there (i'm a slow grower too;) )-there is light in the tunnel-to hell with at the end--

anky said:
I think consistency is the key. You're using all this stuff but it's only been two months. Hair, on average, only grows a half inch a month,... so what if you're below the world average! 1/2 inch of growth in 2 months in the beginning of spring is great growth. Your hair is not going to grow to your knees in two months--I don't care what product that you use. Trust me, in the summer it will grow faster, without using all that stuff.

I think this is a great idea.
I had no idea as well that it could take up to 6 months for some of these things to take effect. I guess I just have to be patient.
Look, my hair grows 1/4 inch a month. Does that make you feel better?
Yes :) ! I really thought I was the only one!
Your hair is growing, it's thriving. Take a break from all that stuff and just have fun with hair care. Don't make it a chore, make it a fun hobby. You can do this! You have so many people rooting for you! :weird:
And I really appreciate the support and all of you contributing to this thread. I really felt like I was the only one!

girl you sound so much like me i cant even begin to tell you how much money i spent last year starting from April/May all the way until the end of the year just on hair products and vitamins....that i probably will never get around to using...now ive really slacked off..i dont even come and post in the hair thread as much as i use to...because i just up and decided at the beginning of this year to go ahead and do whats best for my damaged hair because it was going nowhere with all that what i was doing(the cowashing, HF37, MTG, WGO, deep conditioning, sewins challenge, braid challenge, protein shakes, la india etc)...now i dont even hardly touch my hair...dont get me wrong i did spurlge this year by buying Keracare products, Design Essentials Relaxer(used only one time), La India(used maybe once)... i havent even hardly used because i dont even wash my hair at home...i just let my stylist do it...the only time i do anything to my hair is just by putting it in place with some gel to go out in the morning...im not telling you the solution is to cut it...but thats just been my solution...but when you dont worry about ur hair and make it the least of your priorities thats when your hair will take off and grow like a weed...another thing is maybe you should put all of it in the hands of a hairstylist and find someone that you can trust to do go to..im talking the styling to the relaxing whatever your going to do to your hair build a relationship with someone that knows what they are doing...allow them to do it...i know i was one of those type of persons that did everything at home and my mom would be so against me going to a salon as much as i go...but now i only go 2 times a month(once for a relaxer and the other is for wash, wrap and curl)...another thing like someone else mentioned consistency is the key to any regimen...and thats probably why i wasnt successful with anything i did in the past because i didnt stick with anything...

BeautifulWideEyes said:
Sometimes the NG coils so tight and packed together you can barely see how much growth is really there. I know for my first 16wk stretch, I sure wasn't expecting to see 2-2 1/2 inches of extra length. So it maybe something there but just not as visible. You should get a growth t-shirt so you can keep track and see exactly how much growth your getting on touch up day.

Co sign on this one. When I look at my new growth I don't see any signifincant inprovement 1/4 inch. When I streched I was surprised. This was the same way I felt about my braids but low and behold when I took those bad boys out and washed there was 2 inches of growth. Take time with your hair and scalp. It will not happen over night. Try one think consistantly and evaluation each product on its own.

this is a good post.

hair growth varies from person to person. you can use the best products in the world and still have slow growth. On a good month, I only grow about 1/2 inch, so it'll be a while before I reach BSL (if I'm lucky to get that long)

great products, hair care and health are important components of hair growth. But genetics plays a huge role as well. If your family has a history of long hair, then you'll probably have long hair, even if you have no hair regimen. And if you have a family history of shorter hair, you'll probably have slow growth even with using the best products available.
On a good month, I'll only grow about 1/2 inch, but my hair usually grows thick. Thick hair runs on both sides of my family. But I also have to watch out for hair loss 'cause that runs on both sides of my family as well.

so if someone grows 2 inches but you grow 1/4 an inch, dont be discouraged. everyone's hair is different. also, try to look at things in the long run. you may not see a change in a month, but see what happens in 3 months or maybe longer. hair growth is a process. there are no short term solutions.

anky said:

Exactly... what anky said! :up:

Also, try not to think about your hair (something that's hard for me too). Patience is key. Be strong!

Happy Hair Growing! :)

The only thing that has helped me is eating healthy with more protein than average, drinking lots of water, exercising, and taking a multivitamin. My hair was growing about 1/4" a month too. But since I've been trying to lose weight, I have been doing the above and I got 1" in one month. I'm really starting to believe that if you take care of the inside, the outside (hair, skin, body) will follow. HHG!

Back