No wash (at least that often) regimen (PICS)

jetbeauty09

I tried to find other posts about this but its kind of hard to find them with the words "no wash" and I'm not allowed to create the tags "no wash" (how will it ever get out there???? :ohwell:)

Anyway, I'm starting this to see if I retain my length and if my hair grows faster this way. I have 2 strand twists in right now and I started putting these in last Monday and finished on Thursday (lazy). My friend inspired me to do it b/c she has had such good growth and such soft hair and doesn't wash as much. The only time my hair is soft is if I don't wash it all the time. I usually cowash daily or every other day. I moisturize twice daily and seal afterward. So I'm going to do cowash once a week and shampoo every 2 weeks.

Has anyone had great growth and retained more length with not washing as much?Natural or relaxed.

The last 2 pics are my friend's puff and the first are my twists. Please excuse the relaxed ends:perplexed

Attachments

• babyhair.jpg
    babyhair.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 30
  • carshot3.jpg
    carshot3.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 33
  • carshot.jpg
    carshot.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 28
  • tpuff21.JPG
    tpuff21.JPG
    46.2 KB · Views: 40
  • tpuff.jpg
    tpuff.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
Yep. I am trying to stop my washes from once a week to twice a week. It is hard for me because I enjoy my wash days but I am trying to leave my hair alone. Maybe you should make a challenge and see how it goes. I think you will get growth with any method but I think the low manipulation, hence, less washing will help with retention

Do you mean you're going to shampoo less? Or you're going to cowash/rinse fewer times per week?

I haven't used commercial shampoo in like a year. I think I stopped using it when I became a member here. I use baking soda/water maybe a couple times a month now. But, I rinse my hair almost every day. I love water on my hair and scalp. And, it keeps my hair clean and soft. I don't use any moisturizer other than water and then castor oil to seal it in.

Maybe the shampoos you're using are too harsh and that's why your hair becomes softer as time goes by, because you're replacing the moisture the shampoo stripped away. There's no rule that says you have to use shampoo. Rinsing thoroughly with water keeps my hair and scalp clean. You could also use diluted castile soap or baking soda diluted with water. Or when you cowash, just add a bit of baking soda to your conditioner, that will get your hair really clean but it will stay moisturized.

Last edited:
I tried to find other posts about this but its kind of hard to find them with the words "no wash" and I'm not allowed to create the tags "no wash" (how will it ever get out there???? :ohwell:)

Anyway, I'm starting this to see if I retain my length and if my hair grows faster this way. I have 2 strand twists in right now and I started putting these in last Monday and finished on Thursday (lazy). My friend inspired me to do it b/c she has had such good growth and such soft hair and doesn't wash as much. The only time my hair is soft is if I don't wash it all the time. I usually cowash daily or every other day. I moisturize twice daily and seal afterward. So I'm going to do cowash once a week and shampoo every 2 weeks. s

Has anyone had great growth and retained more length with not washing as much?Natural or relaxed.

The last 2 pics are my friend's puff and the first are my twists. Please excuse the relaxed ends:perplexed

Hey Jet,

The answer to your question is yes.

This year I've been leaving my twists in for at least one month at a time before I redo them or even wash them. I wash only if my scalp feels TOO itchy. At the most, after a work out, I'll let the water run through my hair and scalp without touching it or applying any condish.

My hair feels more moist as the days go by so I apply my shea butter and spritz less and less (the further I move from wash day)...makes sense.

I've been thinkin a lot about shampoos and sulfates lately. I nearly bought Dr. Bronner's Castille soap yesterday. I don't know, I'm on the fence b/c my hair is finally healthy again, and if ain't broke why fix it :drunk:.

Good luck though, and keep us updated:yep:.

Yep. I am trying to stop my washes from once a week to twice a week. It is hard for me because I enjoy my wash days but I am trying to leave my hair alone. Maybe you should make a challenge and see how it goes. I think you will get growth with any method but I think the low manipulation, hence, less washing will help with retention

I love my wash days too! Especially with the spring/summer coming, a nice wash and go would be nice. I love to DC too. I'll just do that all in one day. So I'm cutting down from cowashing every day to once a week. I didn't think cowashing often could be negative for my hair. I used to do it when I was relaxed and I retained so much length, I just knew it'd work this time....

I've been thinkin a lot about shampoos and sulfates lately. I nearly bought Dr. Bronner's Castille soap yesterday. I don't know, I'm on the fence b/c my hair is finally healthy again, and if ain't broke why fix it :drunk:.

Good luck though, and keep us updated:yep:.

I love that soap. I had the peppermint kind. I'm trying out different products to see what my hair responds too but I will definitely come back to that. I agree, if you're retaining length with your current regimen, keep it up!!!

Anyway, I'm starting this to see if I retain my length and if my hair grows faster this way. I have 2 strand twists in right now and I started putting these in last Monday and finished on Thursday (lazy). My friend inspired me to do it b/c she has had such good growth and such soft hair and doesn't wash as much. The only time my hair is soft is if I don't wash it all the time. I usually cowash daily or every other day. I moisturize twice daily and seal afterward. So I'm going to do cowash once a week and shampoo every 2 weeks.

Heyyyyyyy JetBeauty09 nice thread!looking good dont worry

yeah i actually did but not on purpose :grin: I DID NOT WASH MY HAIR FOR ONE MONTH after my perm end of feb and guess what i did not want to mess up my dominican blow out and was always out so my routine was to let the hair out and at night i would put the palma christi oil and rub my scalp and then put a dab of grease on my fingers and massage my scalp then put some serum on the strands and vaseline on the ends then wrap and repeat the same operation. and i would take my 2 pills Nature Made super b complex and Vitol hair nails skin time released religiosely. I would make sure like my dominican stylist told me everynight while wrapping i would first brush my hair she said it was very important because it would spread my natural oils from the roots to the ends and for me it was relieving the itching. as i speak i m itching from my vits already lol and will restart mtg tonight.

the first thing i notice by not washing for a month!!!! at all no rinsing no nothing i was soon itching so bad i would always rub my scalp with palma christi oil to feel better SO AFTER A MONTH I COULD NOT TAKE IT ANYMORE I WASHED IT MYSELF TO MY SURPRISE MY HAIR WAS WAY FURTHER THAN I EXPECTED when wet i was shocked i even jumped looking at my back, so i will try to do that again but i want to incorporate mtg this time. the pix in my siggie is my one month progress i took it the day before yesterday after airdrying my hair

i think not washing often let your natural oils remain more on the hair i dont know how to explain it correctly my hair was never dry

Do you mean you're going to shampoo less? Or you're going to cowash/rinse fewer times per week?

I haven't used commercial shampoo in like a year. I think I stopped using it when I became a member here. I use baking soda/water maybe a couple times a month now. But, I rinse my hair almost every day. I love water on my hair and scalp. And, it keeps my hair clean and soft. I don't use any moisturizer other than water and then castor oil to seal it in.

Maybe the shampoos you're using are too harsh and that's why your hair becomes softer as time goes by, because you're replacing the moisture the shampoo stripped away. There's no rule that says you have to use shampoo. Rinsing thoroughly with water keeps my hair and scalp clean. You could also use diluted castile soap or baking soda diluted with water. Or when you cowash, just add a bit of baking soda to your conditioner, that will get your hair really clean but it will stay moisturized.

Well, until last week, I was not using poo. I wanted to stay away from the sulfates so I was using all natural soaps and baking soda. Overall, I just don't like the texture of my hair. Its so hard to the touch and its not protein b/c I have that balance with moisture under control. I am using a sulfate since last week but it is a mild one.

I thought water on my hair everyday could be nothing but good but I think its taking away my natural oils and therfore making my hair less soft. I alternate b/w different conditioners and soaps so I don't think its the product. I've used castile soap before and I liked it but after my hair dried, it was still hard like I hadn't moisturized in years!:nono:

My twists are soft right now...

Heyyyyyyy JetBeauty09 nice thread!looking good dont worry

yeah i actually did but not on purpose :grin: I DID NOT WASH MY HAIR FOR ONE MONTH after my perm end of feb and guess what i did not want to mess up my dominican blow out and was always out so my routine was to let the hair out and at night i would put the palma christi oil and rub my scalp and then put a dab of grease on my fingers and massage my scalp then put some serum on the strands and vaseline on the ends then wrap and repeat the same operation. and i would take my 2 pills Nature Made super b complex and Vitol hair nails skin time released religiosely. I would make sure like my dominican stylist told me everynight while wrapping i would first brush my hair she said it was very important because it would spread my natural oils from the roots to the ends and for me it was relieving the itching. as i speak i m itching from my vits already lol and will restart mtg tonight.

the first thing i notice by not washing for a month!!!! at all no rinsing no nothing i was soon itching so bad i would always rub my scalp with palma christi oil to feel better SO AFTER A MONTH I COULD NOT TAKE IT ANYMORE I WASHED IT MYSELF TO MY SURPRISE MY HAIR WAS WAY FURTHER THAN I EXPECTED when wet i was shocked i even jumped looking at my back, so i will try to do that again but i want to incorporate mtg this time. the pix in my siggie is my one month progress i took it the day before yesterday after airdrying my hair

i think not washing often let your natural oils remain more on the hair i dont know how to explain it correctly my hair was never dry

I just checked out your Fotki, great growth! Thanks for the tips!

Well, until last week, I was not using poo. I wanted to stay away from the sulfates so I was using all natural soaps and baking soda. Overall, I just don't like the texture of my hair. Its so hard to the touch and its not protein b/c I have that balance with moisture under control. I am using a sulfate since last week but it is a mild one.

I thought water on my hair everyday could be nothing but good but I think its taking away my natural oils and therfore making my hair less soft. I alternate b/w different conditioners and soaps so I don't think its the product. I've used castile soap before and I liked it but after my hair dried, it was still hard like I hadn't moisturized in years!:nono:

My twists are soft right now...

Do you have hard water? That may be the problem. If you do, you may benefit from washing less, as you've figured out, getting a filter, or doing your last rinse with distilled water. You may also need to chelate your hair because hard water can cause mineral buildup on your strands, which would make them dry and hard no matter what you do.

Also, baking soda and castile soap must be diluted heavily for most people. And no matter what castile dried my hair out and other people find the same result with baking soda and water. It really just depends on your hair.

What were you sealing with when you rinsed daily? The only way to keep my hair moisturized is to seal with castor oil on wet hair. The castor traps the water, which means it takes longer to evaporate, which is great for me because it has more time to moisturize my hair.

If you do a search for "low manipulation" you'll find info related to washing hair less often.

Most people that practice it wash every two weeks, and only comb/manipulate their hair on wash days.

When you co-wash, do you seal your hair afterwards? Maybe it feels dry b/c as your hair dries, the water evaporates and takes all the moisture with it. I think a butter or cream leave in sealed with an oil like castor would be good. If castor is too heavy, or you want to moisturize and seal more often, something lighter like coconut oil would be better.

Do you have hard water? That may be the problem. If you do, you may benefit from washing less, as you've figured out, getting a filter, or doing your last rinse with distilled water. You may also need to chelate your hair because hard water can cause mineral buildup on your strands, which would make them dry and hard no matter what you do.

Also, baking soda and castile soap must be diluted heavily for most people. And no matter what castile dried my hair out and other people find the same result with baking soda and water. It really just depends on your hair.

What were you sealing with when you rinsed daily? The only way to keep my hair moisturized is to seal with castor oil on wet hair. The castor traps the water, which means it takes longer to evaporate, which is great for me because it has more time to moisturize my hair.

I'm going to try this out. I don't know if I have hard water but I will surely let you know how the rinse does my hair.

I seal with all kinds of oils, including castor. Castor oil did make my hair softer during the winter but nothing drastic. Right now I'm sealing with shea butter. Thanks for the tips!

If you do a search for "low manipulation" you'll find info related to washing hair less often.

Most people that practice it wash every two weeks, and only comb/manipulate their hair on wash days.

When you co-wash, do you seal your hair afterwards? Maybe it feels dry b/c as your hair dries, the water evaporates and takes all the moisture with it. I think a butter or cream leave in sealed with an oil like castor would be good. If castor is too heavy, or you want to moisturize and seal more often, something lighter like coconut oil would be better.

I didn't equate low manip with less cowashing...duh! Thanks! I will be searching the threads.

I always seal after washing. Coconut, castor, shea butter, olive.... It feels great until it dries or if I take a nap, its a wrap. My hair is a disaster and then I re wet it and seal again to try and give it life.

I didn't equate low manip with less cowashing...duh! Thanks! I will be searching the threads.

I always seal after washing. Coconut, castor, shea butter, olive.... It feels great until it dries or if I take a nap, its a wrap. My hair is a disaster and then I re wet it and seal again to try and give it life.

Maybe you need a DC? There are threads on doing Steam Treatments, and also adding things like coconut milk/cream, full fat yogurt, honey, baking soda, and salt to treatments to soften hair and make them more moisturizing....

I'm sure you'll be able to find something that will help - lots of naturals run into this issue. :yep:

It sounds like your porosity is off. You may want to research that. If I find the link I'll post it.

ETA: Here it is.
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=341855

Sistaslick's series on porosity:
part 1
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/367189/hair_porosity_help_for_dry_damaged.html
part 2
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/375435/hair_porosity_help_for_dry_damaged.html

Last edited:
you know, i have been thinking about this a lot, i could find any threads on it either.
I retain so much more length when i was less frequently. I have not seen (much) growth since i tweeked my regimen to include more washes(cowashes) my hair was also softer with less frequent washes.
Hmmmm maybe some of our scalp/hair just likes the dirt. I think i will switch to less frequent washes and see where that gets me.

In my siggy, i went from the september picture to the december picture with very few washes, like 2 or maybe even once a month(with weave) and once i started to wear my hair out and wash every other day mt hair became dry, strands felt frail, (feb twists).

Last edited:
Hey Jet,

The answer to your question is yes.

This year I've been leaving my twists in for at least one month at a time before I redo them or even wash them. I wash only if my scalp feels TOO itchy. At the most, after a work out, I'll let the water run through my hair and scalp without touching it or applying any condish.

My hair feels more moist as the days go by so I apply my shea butter and spritz less and less (the further I move from wash day)...makes sense.

:wow::woohoo2::woohoo2::woohoo2::woohoo::woohoo:

you know, i have been thinking about this a lot, i could find any threads on it either.
I retain so much more length when i was less frequently. I have not seen (much) growth since i tweeked my regimen to include more washes(cowashes) my hair was also softer with less frequent washes.
Hmmmm maybe some of our scalp/hair just likes the dirt. I think i will switch to less frequent washes and see where that gets me.

In my siggy, i went from the september picture to the december picture with very few washes, like 2 or maybe even once a month(with weave) and once i started to wear my hair out and wash every other day mt hair became dry, strands felt frail, (feb twists).

Yey! You retained alot of length during that time. I wonder if there is a challenge for this....

It sounds like your porosity is off. You may want to research that. If I find the link I'll post it.

ETA: Here it is.
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=341855

Sistaslick's series on porosity:
part 1
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/367189/hair_porosity_help_for_dry_damaged.html
part 2
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/375435/hair_porosity_help_for_dry_damaged.html

You said what I was thinking. I looked for the porosity line at my local BSS but couldn't find it. I'm going to order it online. I think that will be the answer to my prayers. Thanks for the links!

ETA: I saw that link when it was originally posted, which made me start looking for the line. But I've incorporated acv rinses since I've been natural and if anything, my hair felt drier! I'm just going to go buy the line and see how that does. I will posting an update soon!!!

Last edited:
You said what I was thinking. I looked for the porosity line at my local BSS but couldn't find it. I'm going to order it online. I think that will be the answer to my prayers. Thanks for the links!

ETA: I saw that link when it was originally posted, which made me start looking for the line. But I've incorporated acv rinses since I've been natural and if anything, my hair felt drier! I'm just going to go buy the line and see how that does. I will posting an update soon!!!

Some people are just sensitive to ACV. And, generally they have to be diluted a lot for them to not have a negative affect on the hair. Some people do better with other things, including the porosity control line. Definitely post an update!

Back