• LYE

Votes: 16 55.2%
  • NO LYE

Votes: 13 44.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ahsiar29

Hey Ladies,

I just would like to ask the question though it may have been addressed here before. What is the difference between these 2 relaxers. I have been relaxing my hair for years with Optimum No Lye relaxer. It has been very good to my head. but being here and learing new things on the LHCF. I have no problem trying something new. I am hearing that Lye relaxers are less harsh to your hair. I am 16 weeks post and still going trying to make it to May.

So please ladies let me know if I should atleast try the Lye relaxer to see what effect it will have on my hair.
So how many of you relaxed use lye or NO lye???

I have been using lye relaxers but I am considering trying Phyto (no-lye). Just like you I trying a new relaxer to see what effect it will have on my hair. With all of the good reviews I'm hoping it does something great.

I have used no lye and lye but I'm currently using lye. I chose lye because I have been using it so long and I don't see any reason to switch. I know that no lye gets your hair straighter than lye relaxers.

Liz25_Ga said:
I have used no lye and lye but I'm currently using lye. I chose lye because I have been using it so long and I don't see any reason to switch. I know that no lye gets your hair straighter than lye relaxers.

Really? I thought it was the other way around..lye gets hair straighter..I experienced underprocessing with no lye so I have a lye relaxer now..I also think it depends on the brand...I use to use cheap no lye ones which probably caused most of the underprocessing.

I'm trying to find the lye relaxer for me. If all else fails I will go back to no lye. If I have to go no lye I would probably want to use the Silk2 no lye relaxer, Silk Elements no lye or Profectiv.

I use a relaxer with lye: Mizani Rhelaxer for Fine/Color Treated hair. My hair is neither fine nor color treated, but the relaxer works well.

I don't relax anymore, but when I did, I used no-lye. It caused breakage but only due to my lack of skill (always overlapping etc.)
I switched to lye and my hair was always underprocessed and it burned my scalp more.
Then I decided to transition, partially because of the underprocessing.

Back