Votes: 12 4.2%
  • Hooded + get the roots

Votes: 18 6.3%
  • Daily Styling w/ iron

Votes: 5 1.7%

• Total voters

autumnbeauty29

Relatively new here..so bear with me--

For those of you that are doing the No Heat Challenge or those of you that are basically on a " no heat" regimen, please explain to a sistah after you wash and do all the deep conditions, oils, etc.. what do you do as far as drying? I am asking this because I thought I was doing my own personal no heat challenge until I read up and saw that every week when I washed/cowashed and after my rollerset, I would go back and flat iron my roots and sometimes even down to my ends:eek: I guess the reason I thought it was a no heat challenge is because I wasn't taking the iron to it daily as I used to (someone is in the background laughing at me cause I'm a fool).

Just what do those of you who are are texlaxed /or even naturals do for a "no heat regimen"

When I say "no heat" I mean no flat irons, curling irons, blowdyers. Hooded heat is ok.

Personally, I airdry because I hate sitting under a dryer. But that's always what I understood "no heat" to mean.

No heat means no heat at all (cept to deep condition). I airdry, spray dove leave-in on my hair, gently smooth the top (so it is taunt and will dry straight) and then braid 2 in pigtails. The next day, my hair is straight and I can go from there. At first it takes some getting used to and figuring out what works for you (which leave in works better on your wet hair, or if bantu knots are better for you than braids, ect) but after a few washes, you will have it down to a science.

Starian said:
When I say "no heat" I mean no flat irons, curling irons, blowdyers. Hooded heat is ok.

Personally, I airdry because I hate sitting under a dryer. But that's always what I understood "no heat" to mean.

Agreed. No heat means no direct heated appliances...hood dryers used for deep conditioning and drying rollersets are acceptable for me although others literally use no heat.

I typically airdry with my hair hanging out so that it will dry quickly...even then "quickly" is 5+ hours...if I tie it up, it can be as much as 24 hours.

Sometimes I'll pincurl it while it's 80% dry or I'll braid it at the same point. This is if I'm planning to do a textured look.

For straighter styles, I'll do a ponytail rollerset or I'll let it dry hanging out then flat iron it or I'll do the scarf method. My choice depends on my mood and the amount of time I have.

I've finally gotten the right products in my regimen that enable me to airdry and not be left with frizzy hair. :)

I airdry overnight in a rollerset or a combination of a rollerset and scarf method I learned on this board. Rollersets are a safe way to smooth and straighten hair. Some ladies wrap their hair after taking out the rollers to remove any curls from the rollers and have a straighter look.

I sometimes airdry in a rollerset, then wear my hair in an updo that was smooth and sleek, as if heat was used.:)

I wear a bun everyday or do twist outs (well, when I am not in braids like I am now). It's boring but my hair is longer than it was 4 years ago :) I actually like to co-wash everyday!

Anky, can you shed some light on how airdrying is healthier for the hair if you can do it,, I mean if it works for ones hair. I just started trying to airdy and want to know the benefits. :confused:

I use heat no more than three times a year, and that's when I flat iron to see the length.

The rest of the time I use no heat at all. I deep condition by warming the conditioner in the microwave, applying it to my hair, covering with a plastic cap and then wrapping a hot towel from the dryer over it.

I air dry my hair either in a single braid hanging down, or two braids. Sometimes I air dry in a loose bun and sometimes I just leave it loose.

I have not joined the "No Heat" challenge but I have not used any heat in my hair since Dec. 2006.

I airdry then mositurize and style or just rollerset overnight then bun.

I don't use any heat at all. I sometimes cowash in water that might be a little too warm...:) ...but that's all. I haven't used heat in the last three years or so. When I was transitioning I would often cowash, twist my hair and let it airdry. These days I cowash and either airdry in a loose bun or airdry with it out and put it up when it is almost dry.

It really depends on what I'm doing. If I'm going to wear my hair out, I will deep condition and then airdry until it's 80% dry. Right before I blowdry, I add some Shea Butter moisturizer and then a cone (Fantasia IC), then I just blow dry just my roots straight, then flat iron. If I'm just going to pull it back into a pony, I just let it airdry most of the way and then slick it back w/ some S-curl. For the most part I may use heat once a wk AT THE MOST, only when my hair is out. I also wear sewin's alot, in this case I only use minimum heat on the edges.

Divine Inspiration said:
Agreed. No heat means no direct heated appliances...hood dryers used for deep conditioning and drying rollersets are acceptable for me although others literally use no heat.

I see now I was doing it all wrong..I feel like such a ditz:( I joined less than 3 weeks ago but have learned so much in this short amount of time about haircare in general and things that I was going wrong.

When I think of no heat, to me that means, no direct heat (blow dryers, flat irons). Indirect heat or steam heat is okay.

I use my heat cap twice a week for deep conditioning and I maybe blow dry and flat iron 3-4 times a year. Everyday I just airdry.

JazzyDez said:
what are steam rollers?

they are rollers that you place over the steam setter and let them get steam for about 30 second and then u put them in your hair and u leave them in your hair for about 10 mins. they work very well and the curls last. they are not damaging because it is not dry heat, it is steam heat and it actually infuses moisture into your hair. there are two types. caruso steam rollers and vidal sassoon rollers. they work the same way but the vidal sassoon rollers are cheaper.

growinglong777 said:
Anky, can you shed some light on how airdrying is healthier for the hair if you can do it,, I mean if it works for ones hair. I just started trying to airdy and want to know the benefits. :confused:

just sent you a PM :)

locabouthair said:
they are rollers that you place over the steam setter and let them get steam for about 30 second and then u put them in your hair and u leave them in your hair for about 10 mins. they work very well and the curls last. they are not damaging because it is not dry heat, it is steam heat and it actually infuses moisture into your hair. there are two types. caruso steam rollers and vidal sassoon rollers. they work the same way but the vidal sassoon rollers are cheaper.

I am going to look into these rollers since I have heard a few good things about them. I am glad I posted this question because I had fear of airdrying because I have heard in the past that it does damage your hair...supposedly. I have done it a few times and my ends are always frizzy, or maybe I am just not doing something right. I will dry again tonight.

right now I use no heat and plan on not using heat for months.
For me no heat means no flat ironing, no curling irons and no blow dryers.

I use the hooded dryer for deep conditioning.
I air dry with roller sets and wear my hair in a protective style daily.

what kinda rollers are you all air drying with?

Anybody us sponge rollers?

Ever use sponge rollers under a hooded dryer? i have th plastic rollers but im transitioning...and im at a point right now where putting all the pins in my hair to keep those rollers is tangling too much.

Starian said:

Hi starian! :).

Yeah I hate sitting under the dryer too to dry my hair so I mostly air dry until my hair is dry while doing chores.

Your hair is my inspiration.:)

LilMorenita said:
what kinda rollers are you all air drying with?

Anybody us sponge rollers?

Ever use sponge rollers under a hooded dryer? i have th plastic rollers but im transitioning...and im at a point right now where putting all the pins in my hair to keep those rollers is tangling too much.

I wasnt using any rollers. This was last year and I was wrapping it. The next morning when I would wake up one side would lay down the other would stand directly out.

locabouthair said:

oooooh ok Caruso's :lol: . I didn't make the connection. I've seen some really nice caruso sets posted on the board. I didn't know they infused moisture. Hmm maybe I need to get some of those. :scratchch

I'm sitting under a hooded drier right now, trying to complete my braidout before my friend comes to pick me up to go out tonight. :lol:

This is a rare occasion though. I don't even own a flat iron or regular blow drier so I don't get tempted.:lol: So no heat for me means no direct heat. And even then, I rarely use direct heat, mostly because I'm lazy and my bun is working out fine. And I just deep condition overnight.

When I feel like it, I rollerset, but I normally just airdry.

Back