No Hardcore Protein for 2 weeks after relaxer

AngieK... my sympathy to you and your family at this time. You all have stimulated a very interesting conversation. I'd love for the discussion to continue.

AngieK...I'd also like to know any info you have on "all natural" relaxers... Right now my hair is transitioning and I do not want to return to the caustic chemicals that are damaging my hair, and I believe are making me feel bad.

I'm not trying to fuel the discussion, but (this is open to all to answer) since relaxers raise the cuticle so high, wouldn't that make hair that has been freshly relaxed more susceptible to treaments???

In another thread I mentioned an aunt who, all of a sudden, couldn't get straight hair with a relaxer. She leaves the relaxer on for 30 minutes and ends up with what looks like a texturizer. Her daughters and I blamed it on her off-brand, no lye relaxer (LeKair Cholesterol Relaxer). But after reading this thread I think the problem could be the Remedi Therex protein treatment she does a week before her relaxer and the ApHogee protein treatment she does immediately following her relaxer.
scratchchin.gif

AngieK, your posts made alot of sense to me. I was thinking along the same lines as you were, but I don't use relaxers so I probably wouldn't have much to offer to a discussion about reversion but theories and no personal experience.

Beana3 - there may be something to what you are saying. Products with low acidity and cold water are supposed to promote the closing of the cuticle layer - which is probably why people would believe that a vinegar rinse could strip one's hair of relaxer if they wanted to go natural or why some people with curly hair notice better curl definition when rinsing with cold water. The thing is, these are usually temporary effects that don't permenantly add curl to one's hair. I am thinking that if anything, proteins coating and filling in the cuticle can make the relaxed hair achieve its maximum waviness/curliness, but I don't believe that it can rebuild the chemical peptide bonds which re-enforce the hair's true texture.

Hummm, this is an interesting discussion.

Because...I have given myself "hardcore" protein treatments (Aphogee)directly after relaxing my hair on several occasions in the past with no-lye relaxers and recently with my last lye relaxer. My hair has never reverted or felt underprocessed by using a protein treatment directly afterwards. The only time my hair felt underprocessed is when "I" underprocessed it with a relaxer.

Supergirl, I have had the reverting process after using protein conditioner also. I couldn't figure out what happened to my fresh re-touch. Coincident or what? Is there any concrete data to substantiate this claim? The next time I re-touch I will not use a protein conditioner and see what happens.

Oh my. I have been having the same problem. My hair seems really straight right after I relax it, but then it just isn't anymore. I am doing an Aphogee treatment like 3 days after my relaxer. Maybe I'll do something different this time.

I did a Elucence EMRT to my hair Saturday and my hair is still very straight, but EMRT is not hardcore like Aphogee is.

I did an Aphogee treatment a week before my relaxer touch-up so my hair would be nice & strong and it had no averse effect, in fact this is the best touch-up I've had in months! So, I'd definitely reccommend it.
smile.gif

Thanks AngieK,

No we are definite not at odds
laugh.gif
And I definitely agree with you about conditioners being a temporary fix. Even Shamboosie says that conditioners are designed to work for about 4 days.

Nita,

The information I shared seems to not apply to the no-lye relaxer.

Ms. K,

True! I forgot that Elucence does advocate using that the EMRT after their relaxer so it musn't be one of the hard-core protein treatments.

Another theory I had was that we aren't supposed to wet the hair for such and such a period of time after a relaxer (like the rules of the curly perm) I was doing my treatments 5 days after. This time I'm going to wait a whole week and use my new Proclaim Cholesterol--No Protein!

Thanks for sharing that Karezone. I have some CPR. I might go with that
up.gif
I think I'm just feeling a little paranoid.
scratchchin.gif

<font color="brown">Okay, for those of you who are interested, here are some links with decent info that can enrich this discussion:

http://www.turi.org/PDF/HairRelaxing.pdf (Basic relaxing instructions, but a good explanation of the relaxing process with diagrams)

Focus: Hair Straightening (Discusses different types of straightening and the importance of disulfide bonds - no diagrams)

Focus: What is Hair? (General information about hair structure)

http://www.kmshaircare.com/resources/4training/EdManual.pdf
This link contains great info and diagrams - particularly chapters 5 (structure), 6 (chemistry), and 14 (chemical processing). Chapter 14 discusses Hydroxide Reduction (chemical processing with sodium hydroxide and other relaxing/perming agents). Keep in mind that though this is an educational manual, it is produced by KMS. Once you get past the technical info, there is some self promotion of its products which contain Promilin 49. But otherwise, the other information is unadulterated. There is also a chapter about hair coloring and a glossary at the end.

Going to
sleeping.gif
now,
AngieK </font>

Hello AngieK ...thanks for posting this infomation.

Ballet Bun ...
rosebud.gif

Those are some good websites
up.gif

I definitely agree with you Angie K that a conditioner can't re-form any bonds, but I know that they can add back a (laboratory) version (temporarily) of what was destroyed by the chemical. (protein, cysteine, etc) and reinforce the structure of the hair for whatever time being.

So, based on my experience (several times) --I concluded that the heavy protein conditioning so soon after the relaxer is what made my hair revert. I've been getting Affirm Lye for almost 3 years and never had the reversion problem until I started doing the clarifying and protein treatment 5 days after the relaxer.

I believe the hair is more susceptible to treatments when the cuticle is open after immediate relaxing... that's why Affirm relaxer is immediately followed with a conditioner after the removal of the relaxer, then it is neutralized. I think Motions is like this as well. It's best to follow the manufacturer's suggestions.

My condolences and prayers go out to your family, Angie.

[ QUOTE ]
AngieK said:
<font color="brown">Okay, for those of you who are interested, here are some links with decent info that can enrich this discussion:

http://www.turi.org/PDF/HairRelaxing.pdf (Basic relaxing instructions, but a good explanation of the relaxing process with diagrams)

Focus: Hair Straightening (Discusses different types of straightening and the importance of disulfide bonds - no diagrams)

This link contains great info and diagrams - particularly chapters 5 (structure), 6 (chemistry), and 14 (chemical processing). Chapter 14 discusses Hydroxide Reduction (chemical processing with sodium hydroxide and other relaxing/perming agents). Keep in mind that though this is an educational manual, it is produced by KMS. Once you get past the technical info, there is some self promotion of its products which contain Promilin 49. But otherwise, the other information is unadulterated. There is also a chapter about hair coloring and a glossary at the end.

Going to
sleeping.gif
now,
AngieK </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

Excellent research and info!
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
AJamericanDiva said:
I believe the hair is more susceptible to treatments when the cuticle is open after immediate relaxing... that's why Affirm relaxer is immediately followed with a conditioner after the removal of the relaxer, then it is neutralized. I think Motions is like this as well. It's best to follow the manufacturer's suggestions.

My condolences and prayers go out to your family, Angie.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was reading the back of the bottles for the Affirm Relaxer, and I noticed that too ... the conditioners are applied after you rinse out the relaxer. I'm excited to see how this is going to turn out.

Ballet Bun ...
rosebud.gif

[ QUOTE ]
AngieK said:

Going to
sleeping.gif
now,
AngieK </font>

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks for posting this great info!

This is the relaxer that I currently use and I really like it. A long while back I used to use Motions and I feel that the procedure was the same. I like the Affirm better.

So is the conclusion that Keraphix is a hardcore protein and one should wait 2 weeks post relaxer before using it? I've always used it immediately after (I do have underprocessed hair too...
scratchchin.gif
)

Isis--I'm still not so sure about Keraphix. Try not using it after your relaxer and see what happens. Be sure and let me know
up.gif

Ok Supergirl. This will be the first time in a long time that I'll wait before using the Keraphix after relaxing.

Ive used Keraphix about a week post touch up w/ no probs. I guess everyone's hair is different...I thought Keraphix was a mild protein! When will I ever understand this protein thing?

Well, my hair does look more texturized than relaxed. I'll try not using it after relaxing but if my hair starts shedding, I will use the Keraphix.

Back