No Hardcore Protein for 2 weeks after relaxer

[ QUOTE ]
lunalight7 said:
Ive used Keraphix about a week post touch up w/ no probs. I guess everyone's hair is different...I thought Keraphix was a mild protein! When will I ever understand this protein thing?

[/ QUOTE ]

I always thought it was a mild protein and that's why I used it. I couldn't believe it though....I went from no new growth to about three inches of "false" new growth.
ohwell.gif

For Hennalucent users, avoid this right after a relaxer as well. When I used it a few days after a relaxer, my hair waved up. this was fine with me as the stylist made my hair straighter than I liked, but for perfectly processed hair this would be a problem.

If waiting until later to use protein like Keraphix on my hair after my relaxer touchup works, and my new growth remains straight, what about the hair texture difference between my new growth and the wavy part of my underprocessed hair. Will it break off?

Isis,

You can still use a reconstructor--just not one with keratin. Here are a few that I like:

Motions Moisture Silk Protein Conditioner
Deep Brilliance Reconstructor
Affirm 5 in 1 Reconstructor

Thats interesting.................

With The Motions relaxer system (which works very well for me) the shampoos and conditioners you use in the relaxing process have both Silk and Karatin protein in them. I wonder if it's not the protein itself that causes the problem but the concentration of the protein used?

From my experience if I use to much protein on my hair it will feel as though I need a retouch (when actually I don't). So I only use protein every two weeks and afterward I use a mild conditioner right behind it like Pantene, which has no protein, to soften my hair back up it. Kinda like a message after you left weights LOL

Also some use a protein conditioner a week before there relaxer to help strenth it ahead of time. But if anyone finds out any new research share!

Hi Donda,

Which Motions Conditioner are you speaking of? I know that their regular conditioner (Moisture Plus) has no protein. Then the Moisture Silk Protein Conditioner (a favorite of mine) has Silk and Collagen Protein. Then there's the famous CPR conditioner which also has collagen in it. Are you relaxed with Motions? If so, how do you like it? (and which formula)

Let me know!

I'm totally confused!
confused.gif

So one week after a touch-up you should just use a moisturzing conditoner???? Now, there are moisturizing conditioners that have Keratin in them, soooo. Also, there are moisturizing leave-ins that have Keratin.

I dunno know.

By the way, Supergirl I have another question that I'd like your opinion on or anyone who reads this and can help me out. I purchased some Joico K-Pak serum and now I'm considering returning it as I haven't used it and I noticed that one of the ingredients is HYDROLYZED HUMAN HAIR KERATIN. Since I wouldn't be rinsing this right out won't it end up making my hair feel hard? Your thoughts?

Thanks.

Hi SuperGirl!

I use the Motions Oil Moisture Mild Strength Relaxer, and I like it. It's the only mild I can use so far that doesn't underprocess my hair.

Your right, Moisture plus doesn't have protein. The Lavish conditioning shampoo is what has the Keratin & Silk protein.

You use it after you've applied the Moisture plus and shampooed with the Neutralizer when you are relaxing your hair. From then on you are to use it as your regular shampoo.

I haven't had a problem with my results, seeing that I wash my hair one week after I relax with the Lavish Conditioning Shampoo. That's why I was wondering if in fact its not the protein, but the concentration of it, that can cause problems?

You know I was also thinking, perhaps if a person underprocess their hair, meaning they don't break enough of the hair bonds and simply weaken them (the majority of the hair bonds must be broken for straight hair). If that is the case when they use a protein condtioner the bonds that where only weaken (but not broken) are made stronger causing "reversion" of those weeken bonds.

Just a thought....................

Donda,

You're right--I hadn't thought about the shampoo. It does have keratin. Things that make ya go hmmmmm....

PBE,

Now don't become a protein phobe
nono.gif
I LOVE that Joico K-Pak serum and it will not make your hair hard. In silicone based products (like serums) the silicone "dominates" the other ingredients. And....a week after your relaxer (or a few days or the day of)--you can use a protein conditioner but not one with keratin.

A very good one is the one that Donda and I are talking about--the Motions Moisture Silk Protein Conditioner--it will strengthen your hair very well but will moisturize it also and without keratin.

Thanks Supergirl! I sure do have that serum with me today, with the receipt, just in case I decided to return it on my lunch break. I'll go ahead and keep it.

Hey Supergirl,

Had I read your old post from last year I would have had the answer to my question. You scientifically proved it way back when. And I thought I had discovered something. Ha Ha, well at least I was on the right track.

[ QUOTE ]
Supergirl said:
Isis--I'm still not so sure about Keraphix. Try not using it after your relaxer and see what happens. Be sure and let me know
up.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Almost forgot to let you know Supergirl and it's getting closer to relaxer time again. I had to buy more Keraphix which made me remember what you said.

I did use the Keraphix about 3 days before my last relaxer (in March) and didn't use it again until 3 weeks after, instead of immediately after like I used to. I had no breakage or shedding and I think you have a point about the newgrowth. No reverting although it was not relaxed bone-straight. I will do this again next time - thanks again for the tip!

I have 4b hair and for last couple of years been using "hardcore" proteins (aphogee or nexxus emergencee) around my touchups for strength. I usually wash/protein/mositurize 5 days before touchup and repeat 5 days after. Excellent results and never a reversion. My relaxer is affirm lye. I will do a "softcore" protein somewhere halfway between touchups (aubrey GPB or nexxus keraphix). That seems to work for me.

Here's my question to everyone: could the problem be the clarifying shampoo? I find absolutely no use for claryfing shampoos or so-called swimmers shampoos because they literally strip my hair. I do a lot of swimming and over years tried to use the "special" shampoos with disaterous results -- dried, straw-like hair because the detergents in these shampoos are the harshest out there. I learned that my hair will get squeaky clean and "clarified" with a good moisturizing shampoo (nexxus therappe or something like that). When I stopped using swimmers shampoos and clarifying shampoos, my hair did just fine, actually did better.

What do yall think? Is a clariyfing shampoo really necessary to clean fragile, relaxed hair? Do I really need to "clarify" if I use minimum products on my hair from wash to wash?

TIA for your responses.

AngieK said:
<font color="brown">

Hmmm . . . No disrespect toward your stylist, but I wonder what her logic is for saying that?
confused.gif

I know plenty of people who get "hardcore" protein treatments (ie. ApHogee, Joico, Sebastian, etc.) after a relaxer, and their hair does not revert. I have used products containing keratin and/or cysteine after relaxing and my hair has never reverted . . .

It would be interesting to learn why she comes to her conclusion (scientifically or otherwise).

AngieK </font>

:scratchch Hmmm.....I'm wondering myself especially since I use hardcore protein both before or after without reversion.

I had a relaxer yesterday (Affirm) and plan on doing an Aphogee treatment this weekend... So is the concensus that this is ok as long as you don't use a clarifying shampoo before..or should I just wait the two weeks?

These are some AFTER RELAXER tips from my notes:
(These steps are the first wash after your relaxer usualy 1-2 weeks after)
*shampooing with Clarifying Shampoo after a relaxer helps to remove chemical odors and any residues arising from the use of a relaxer. Sometimes there is a slight build up that's left even though all the perm has been shampooed out. This is what dries your hair out.
*Treat your scalp after every touch-up or chemical service with a pre/hot oil treatment that includes essential oils such as comfrey, peppermint, tea tree, or horsetail. Their soothing, astringent properties are a great boost to your hair and scalp's general well being.
*...(after hot oil treatment and shampoo) Give hair a protein deep conditioning 1-2 weeks after getting a relaxer touch-up.
* Even if you do wash or conditioner wash days right after your relaxer you probably shouldn't do a protien treatment until a week or so later.
hth

tasha said:
These are some AFTER RELAXER tips from my notes:
(These steps are the first wash after your relaxer usualy 1-2 weeks after)
*shampooing with Clarifying Shampoo after a relaxer helps to remove chemical odors and any residues arising from the use of a relaxer. Sometimes there is a slight build up that's left even though all the perm has been shampooed out. This is what dries your hair out.
*Treat your scalp after every touch-up or chemical service with a pre/hot oil treatment that includes essential oils such as comfrey, peppermint, tea tree, or horsetail. Their soothing, astringent properties are a great boost to your hair and scalp's general well being.
*...(after hot oil treatment and shampoo) Give hair a protein deep conditioning 1-2 weeks after getting a relaxer touch-up.
* Even if you do wash or conditioner wash days right after your relaxer you probably shouldn't do a protien treatment until a week or so later.
hth

This is good info.:up:

Affirm comes with a 5-in-1 conditioner that contains hydrolyzed wheat protein to use immediately after rinsing the relaxer out. Do you think this conditioner causes hair revert?

lunalight7 said:
Ive used Keraphix about a week post touch up w/ no probs. I guess everyone's hair is different...I thought Keraphix was a mild protein! When will I ever understand this protein thing?

That's what I thought too! I still think Keraphix is MUCH milder than emergencee.

But, perhaps it's the amount of TIME people are leaving the protein in the hair, and not necessarily the length of weeks? I'm just saying... maybe there is a 3rd variable here?

I'll wait 2 weeks after my next touch-up to use keraphix, but I won't leave it on for long. 3-5 minutes max. IN fact, I think the bottle says use it for 3 minutes. Perhaps this could be a factor? :look:

Crystalicequeen123 said:
That's what I thought too! I still think Keraphix is MUCH milder than emergencee.

But, perhaps it's the amount of TIME people are leaving the protein in the hair, and not necessarily the length of weeks? I'm just saying... maybe there is a 3rd variable here?

I'll wait 2 weeks after my next touch-up to use keraphix, but I won't leave it on for long. 3-5 minutes max. IN fact, I think the bottle says use it for 3 minutes. Perhaps this could be a factor? :look:

Time could be a factor. I prefer to leave Keraphix in about 20-30 minutes, with a plastic cap. I never follow the instructions on labels of these conditioners. Even the Humectress says 3 minutes and I deep condition with it 30-45 minutes. 3 to 5 minutes isn't enough time for these products to do anything to my hair.

I agree that Keraphix is a much milder protein than Emergencee, which I haven't used yet. :yep:

Back