No Breakage Regimen

Do you think you could come up with a regimen that would eliminate all breakage? Do you have a no breakage regimen? Post what you think a no breakage regimen would consist. This thread is to help members who are dealing with breakage whether it's major or minor!:drunk:

Start posting ladies your advice can save someone's hair!

I would like to know to because I am still having breakage at the crown.

But what has helped the rest of my hair was:
1. upping my moisture by deep conditioning twice a week
2. working out the moisture/protein balance
3. lastly I would moisturize and seal my ends twice daily

Currently...

I am having zero breakage...(fingers crossed)..but my regimen is quite simple. My hair loves water and co-washes..so I cowash 3 times weekly and 1 dc with heat on the weekends. I detangle under the shower..and when I comb I only get shed hairs..After I get out of the shower...I apply my oils ( Glycerin and African Herbal Oil(?))..use one of my magic hair pins..and pin up my hair and apply my satin scarf. I am 9 weeks post and my hair is thriving wonderfully!

When I am between co-washes...I use Hawaiian Silky 14n1 with my glycerin and oil mix...

I moisturize and seal once a day...I keep my hair pinned up 97% of the time. Which I know has attributed to my retention.

I also have been experimenting with Aryuvedic oils and powder (Amla and Brahmi)...which seems to be strengthening my hair without the harsh effects that protein tends to give me.

HTH

I would like to know to because I am still having breakage at the crown.

But what has helped the rest of my hair was:
1. upping my moisture by deep conditioning twice a week
2. working out the moisture/protein balance
3. lastly I would moisturize and seal my ends twice daily

This is key.

Preventing breakage means different things to different people. For me, it means moisturizing at least every night and DC weekly and keeping protein to a min. But there are women on here who dont moisturize everyday because their hair will be limp and weighed down and some need more protein than moisture(usually women with fine hair, it seems) . It really depends on how your hair feels.

Also make sure you protect your ends during the relaxing process by putting oil or conditioner on your ends and avoid overlapping. The moisture/protein balance doesnt mean anything if the relaxer is being applied improperly.

I looooove my regime and it's not for everyone, but it's for sure for me. The step by steps of it are in my fotki, but this is just some of the things I do everyday that has get me finally over 8 weeks post with 0% breakage:

-baggie ends only everyday/night
-co-wash everyday
-protein/moisture balance
-moisture/seal with oil 2x a day
-Bunning

Check out the fotki for the pictures!

Invest in a wig. I know I need to because I'm so sick of my low mani hair "style"
I usually co/wash at least 4-5 times a week and deep condition maybe once a week in the shower with Alter Ego Hot Garlic Treatment or Le Kair Cholesterol or with heat using ORS Hair Mayo or Olive Oil Replenishing packs. Other than that, I detangle with my fingers or Jilbere de Paris comb with conditioner and rinse under the shower, separate into two braids and pins the ends up and slap on a headband.

One big thing for me: The dry rollerset. I love rollersets as my relaxer times goes into stretch mode but all that manipulation of wet hair to smooth it on the rollers is not good. So, I put my hair on rollers first, end paper and all THEN dunk my entire head in the shower until saturated and proceed to drying.

Deep conditioning as often as possible 1-3Xs per week...
Listening to my hair - Yes it does talk to me lol...
Treating it like a fine expensive silk shirt:yep: If I can't take my time I wont touch it at all.

I see the ppl that have responded so far did not mention shampoo. I wash with a SLS free natural/organic shampoo once a week, but I have been reading that that's too often.

To the ladies with little breakage...what is you shampoo to condition ratio?

I think my new regime will be...
1. Wash every other week with shampoo.
2. Deep condition with heat every week after shampoo or co-wash
3. Co-wash on non-shampoo weeks.
*I use Oyin Whipped Pudding as my moisturizer.

How does that sound?

Maybe I should remove shampoo all together. But then how do I get rid of buildup?

I'm so confused. I have been on LHCF for a while now, and I have learned so much. But for some reason I can't seem to get it right. This is so frustrating:wallbash:

Invest in a wig. I know I need to because I'm so sick of my low mani hair "style"
I usually co/wash at least 4-5 times a week and deep condition maybe once a week in the shower with Alter Ego Hot Garlic Treatment or Le Kair Cholesterol or with heat using ORS Hair Mayo or Olive Oil Replenishing packs. Other than that, I detangle with my fingers or Jilbere de Paris comb with conditioner and rinse under the shower, separate into two braids and pins the ends up and slap on a headband.

One big thing for me: The dry rollerset. I love rollersets as my relaxer times goes into stretch mode but all that manipulation of wet hair to smooth it on the rollers is not good. So, I put my hair on rollers first, end paper and all THEN dunk my entire head in the shower until saturated and proceed to drying.

The two items that I bolded have been so important in terms of controlling my breakage. The wig allows me to have a hairstyle while keeping my own hair tucked away. Keeping the manipulation of wet hair to an absolute minimum is also very important for me. I personally think of water as a blessing and a curse. It's a blessing because it is the purest and most natural moisturizer. However, it's also a curse because too much of it for too long = breakage galore for me.

I see the ppl that have responded so far did not mention shampoo. I wash with a SLS free natural/organic shampoo once a week, but I have been reading that that's too often.

How does that sound?

Maybe I should remove shampoo all together. But then how do I get rid of buildup?

I'm so confused. I have been on LHCF for a while now, and I have learned so much. But for some reason I can't seem to get it right. This is so frustrating:wallbash:

I think it's good to use a sulfate free shampoo if you're washing weekly. But using one with sulfates to clarify/chelate is ok. But using them on a weekly basis, I dont think I would do because they tend to dry out the scalp and hair. They can cleanse a little too well making your hair feel stripped.

I've been on here for a while too and have yet to meet my length goal so I understand how you feel.

are you wearing your hair up in the crown area? pony tails buns or half wigs placed in the same spot over time can break your hair

I think it's good to use a sulfate free shampoo if you're washing weekly. But using one with sulfates to clarify/chelate is ok. But using them on a weekly basis, I dont think I would do because they tend to dry out the scalp and hair. They can cleanse a little too well making your hair feel stripped.

I've been on here for a while too and have yet to meet my length goal so I understand how you feel.

You know, I do tend to have dry scalp. Ok, I'm putting down the shampoo!

Not for everyone but works for me. I wouldn't call this a "no breakage" routine ... but a "minimal breakage" routine. I haven't had a trim in 1 year and my ends aren't too shabby. (I'll get one this December.)

MINIMAL BREAKAGE REGIMEN:
- Comb detangle 1x a month to 3 months
- Use fingers the rest of the time
- Wash and DC 1x a week
- Keep hair moisturized
- Wear protective styles majority of the time

For me, it's all about leaving my hair alone. The less manipulation (combing, washing, etc.), the better. However, that's not to say that I should never comb or wash it.

This is key.

Preventing breakage means different things to different people. For me, it means moisturizing at least every night and DC weekly and keeping protein to a min. But there are women on here who dont moisturize everyday because their hair will be limp and weighed down and some need more protein than moisture(usually women with fine hair, it seems) . It really depends on how your hair feels.

Also make sure you protect your ends during the relaxing process by putting oil or conditioner on your ends and avoid overlapping. The moisture/protein balance doesnt mean anything if the relaxer is being applied improperly.

I totally agree. Protein = breakage for me, while for others protein = breakage prevention. It depends on the person's hair needs.

Treating it like a fine expensive silk shirt:yep: If I can't take my time I wont touch it at all...

:yep::yep::yep:

You can remove buildup by mixing baking soda with water, maixing baking soda in your conditioner, or with an acv (not for heavy buildup). There are plenty of ways to get rid of build up without SLS. You can even shampoo on a regular without SLS. There are plenty of shampoos without it and the more gentle detergents will get out most things except for the toughest silicones.

i think the main key is for each individual to really (and I mean really) understand what it is that their hair needs. and i know that may be the obvious, but like for me, i definitely don't think that increasing my moisture will be the "no breakage" solution, however, that is the case for a lot of LHCF. And it's almost scary, but I think I may have gotten my moisture/protein balance on point for right now. I don't know if I perfected it, but my hair feels sooo strong; even the single strands.

ETA:
for me its:
-rollerset only for the first six weeks post relaxer; after six weeks post, I must manipulate my hair as little as possible; but constantly keeping my moisture/protein balance. My hair loves protein more than moisture.

Last edited:
Low Manipulation is the key to minimal breakage for me. This means:

I detangle only when my hair is soaked with conditioner - 1 or twice a week.

I dc without heat usually overnight with homemade mixes. I just don't use heat because I am lazy and I haven't noticed a difference without it.

I only do what I need to do when my hair needs it.

I mostly just put my hair in a puff or wash n go. I regularly use my denman (to put my hair in the puff), Goody's elastic headbands, banana clips, and a bristle brush to smooth the top of my hair when it's in a puff.

I always sleep with my hair covered (usually a bonnet) and I have to pull my hair up loosely when I sleep or I get breakage in my crown area (where my hair is more coarse and more fragile).

Last edited:

How does that sound?

I don't like to shampoo...shampooing strips my hair very bad..it took almost a week trying to get my hair back moisturized. I tried the once a week thing. but it was a vicious cycle...because by the time I got my moisture back..it was time to shampoo again.:wallbash::wallbash:

I tried non - SLS shampoos and it left me with the same result. I shampoo only once a month (out of pure necessity), but I do a heavy dc with heat to restore the moisture.

I only use conditioners with no cones ( Aubrey Organics) to combat the buildup..that you would get from conditioners.

I also find that conditioners with cones dry my hair out terribly..so the Aubrey Organics hair line has been a Godsend for me..I co-wash with these also.

So my hair is very rarely dried out...HTH

When I had no breakage, I was following the Motions regimen-my modified version. I need to go back to doing this.

Before I took my braids out 2 days ago, I had zero breakage (before the braids duh!). My sig has my regimen. I think the fact that I have added lots of moisture to my hair has definitely stopped whatever breakage I used to have!

I'm still working on my daily regimen and here is what I have so far. My hair has been shedding terribly and I did those test (snap) everyone suggest and got different results each time. I decided to go back to my old friend AphoGhee (2 min protein trmt). Everyday less shed. I'll stick w/ this every six weeks. In between time I'll use the reconstructor maybe once a week/ biweekly. I did a baking soda rinse for the first time this week and my hair is so soft, (usually stiff), and full it looks so good. BAKING SODA IS THE TRUTH!

Recap:
-Shampoo once/ twice wkly.
-Baking soda rinse once a week.
-Protein trmt once every 6 weeks.
-Reconstructor once a week.
-DC at least once a week maybe twice when possible (ORS, moisturfuse, profectiv etc)
-Cowash when I can but not too sole on it.

Treating it like a fine expensive silk shirt:yep: If I can't take my time I wont touch it at all.
..[/quote

How do you go about deep conditioning for the 2nd time that week? I did my wash day on Sunday and then deep condition. On my 2nd dc, say on Wednesday, do I just wet the hair, apply the deep conditioner, then rinse or do I have to co wash?

Does that make any sense?:perplexed

Yesterday I solved my breakage problem by trimming my ends. After all the money I spent on hair products the last 4 months the answer was right in front of me.:wallbash:

Trim those ends ladies. :grin:

CO-WASH DAILY
MOITURIZE AND SEAL TWICE A DAY
DC 2XS A WEEK
PROTECTIVE STYLES UNLESS ITS A SPECIAL DAY
NO DIRECT HEAT
SILK SCARF
HOLD ON IT'S GROWING
ENJOY YOUR HAIR

Back