Niacin for hair growth?

AceH

<font color="blue"> Anybody here take niacin to increase blood circulation/promote hair growth? If so, which kind to you take &amp; is/was it working for you? I forgot what the types are called, but there's the type that visibly flushes and the kind that does not... </font>

<font color="blue"> FYI for anybody else who was curious.

Monister (one of our members) PM'd me with a link to valuable information. (After reading, don't need growth from niacin that bad - tossing my niacin
smile.gif
) Thanks Monister!
kiss.gif

</font> From vitamin B3 health guide

Niacin, in amounts as low as 50–100 mg, may cause flushing, headache, and stomachache in some people. Doctors sometimes prescribe very high amounts of niacin (as much as 3,000 mg per day or more) for certain health problems. These large amounts can cause liver damage, diabetes, gastritis, damage to eyes, and elevated blood levels of uric acid (which can cause gout). Symptoms caused by niacin supplements, such as flushing, have been reduced with sustained-release (also called ‘time-release’) niacin products. However, sustained-release forms of niacin have caused significant liver toxicity and, rarely, liver failure.1 2 3 4 5 One partial time-release (intermediate-release) niacin product has demonstrated clinical efficacy without flushing, and also without the liver function abnormalities typically associated with sustained-release niacin formulations.6 However, this form of niacin is available by prescription only.

In a controlled clinical trial, 1,000 mg or more per day of niacin raised blood levels of homocysteine, a substance associated with increased risk of heart disease.7 Since other actions of niacin lower heart disease risk,8 9 the importance of this finding is unclear. Nonetheless, for all of the reasons discussed above, large amounts of niacin should never be taken without consulting a doctor.

I stopped taking HF37 because of this. I remember after every dose I got really hot and my head and ears would feel like they were on fire too.

Back