Nexxus Therappe : ruining my hair?

erin558

Over the past month or so my hair has been shedding like crazy! I have done everything I could but it just wouldn't stop unless I slapped way too much moisturizer on it, leaving it heavy ( which I hate!)

I went to the salon last week and got a touch up. My hair felt great after that ( which is normal ). while I was shampooing with Nexxus Therappe last night I noticed that it seriously felt like I just clarified my hair! I deep conditioned with NTM DDC and rollerset my hair ( only using NTM silk touch ). When I took out my rollers it was shedding like it usually does and I put two and two together thinking that it's probably the poo. Has anyone else had this problem? It feels stripped and just looks like I didn't even get my ends trimmed last week. My scalp is also itching.

i know there are a ton of "what is the best shampoo?" posts and i've read them all but I still need recommendations as to what I should use. Something that's really gentle, moisturizing? i wanted to throw nexxus therappe out of the WINDOW when i realized that it was breaking off my hair! I know conditioning washes are something else I should look into, but wouldn't that weigh my hair down after awhile?

Last edited:
I like Dr. Bronners. It is a natural soap/shampoo and doesn't strip or dry my hair and it feels moisturized when I am done.

I also dilute it, although some do not.

Yes and Yes! Although I really like Nexxus other products, I couldn't help but feeling like my hair didn't feel good. It was therappe. It always left my hair feeling SQUEAKYYYYY clean and tangled. Discontinue the Therappe a.s.a.p.

Oh, My first rec. would be Aveda Damage Remedy poo, then Aveda Birlliant poo ( a lot cheaper), then Garnier Long and Stong Poo.

Yeah Therappe does that to me too. I find it a bit less moisturizing than the bottle claims:lol: Try the Botonoil- now that one is more moisturizing. Much, much better!

Other good moisturizing poo's for a good price are Creme of Nature and NTM's cream lathering poo. :D

I like Keracare Hydrating Detangling shampoo. It feels like silk in your hair, and seems pretty moisturizing.

I don't mind Nexxus Therappe, and I'm not sure I have seen a correlation between Therappe and shedding in my hair, but I can see how some people would probably think that the shampoo is a little TOO drying. Supposedly, it's a "good" shampoo, and Nexxus is supposed to be a really "good" product line, but then again....everyone's hair is different and has different needs.

Creme of Nature (green one) is a great moisturizing shampoo. I don't even need a conditioner afterwards but I use one anyway.

Therappe dryed my hair out too. I think it was the sulfate. It's just too rough for my hair now. My hair bounced back after about 2 wks of using creme of nature green label. Now I use the red label.

You know, when I 1st came to the forum and there were so many raves about this shampoo, I just did not get it. I requested a sample of it from nexxus and HATED the way it made my hair feel!.

I am glad to see that I am not the only one that cannot use it.

MizaniMami said:
Yes and Yes! Although I really like Nexxus other products, I couldn't help but feeling like my hair didn't feel good. It was therappe. It always left my hair feeling SQUEAKYYYYY clean and tangled. Discontinue the Therappe a.s.a.p.

Oh, My first rec. would be Aveda Damage Remedy poo, then Aveda Birlliant poo ( a lot cheaper), then Garnier Long and Stong Poo.

That's how my hair feels. It's squeaky clean and dry! I am going to stop using the therappe. I seriously want to throw it out of the window.

Crystalicequeen123 said:
I like Keracare Hydrating Detangling shampoo. It feels like silk in your hair, and seems pretty moisturizing.

I don't mind Nexxus Therappe, and I'm not sure I have seen a correlation between Therappe and shedding in my hair, but I can see how some people would probably think that the shampoo is a little TOO drying. Supposedly, it's a "good" shampoo, and Nexxus is supposed to be a really "good" product line, but then again....everyone's hair is different and has different needs.

Yeah i'm sure nexxus is good for a bunch of people but it's really not working for me. I keep reading about how people are sa ying it saved their lives and I was wondering if maybe i was the only person in the world that thought it sucked.

I tried Nexxus therappe lastweek and was so disappointed. I really expected it to be more moisturizing that it was.
However, it did claim on the bottle that if you use Nexxus therappe you don't have to use a clarifying shampoo. I'm going to finish off the bottle though. I think I've gotten too use to using CON shampoo so this seems so drying in comparison. My hair doesn't feel dry after I condition it so I don't think this shampoo is such a bad thing after all.

I'm always amazed at how we all have different results using same products/regimen! I am 4b relaxed and was using nexxus waaay before LHCF with excellent results even though I didn't know what I was doing then and I continue to use now armed with the awesome knowledge from this and other boards and my hair has never been in better shape. I am a confirmed nexxus junkie and therappe is my staple 'poo, the one "holy grail" poo I cannot do without (if I had to choose only one 'poo it would be therappe). I've been around the world with 'poos and I always come back to this one . . .

Part of any good hair journey is experimenting with different products and regimen until you find what works for you.

ITA with cream of nature or NTM for moisturizing 'poo, they're good, but for me, my beloved therappe remains number one . . .

sweetcashew said:
I tried Nexxus therappe lastweek and was so disappointed. I really expected it to be more moisturizing that it was.
However, it did claim on the bottle that if you use Nexxus therappe you don't have to use a clarifying shampoo. I'm going to finish off the bottle though. I think I've gotten too use to using CON shampoo so this seems so drying in comparison. My hair doesn't feel dry after I condition it so I don't think this shampoo is such a bad thing after all.

I think i'm going to use nexxus as a clarifying shampoo, actually. I clarified my hair two weeks ago ( after using nexxus for weeks ) and my hair was soooooo dry!

I've been using it for awhile now, just to use up product on the shelf and because my mom bought it. I can't wait to go back to my beloved Elasta QP Creme Conditioning Shampoo!! Nexxus just hasn't done my hair any favors.

Sistaslick said:
Yeah Therappe does that to me too. I find it a bit less moisturizing than the bottle claims:lol: Try the Botonoil- now that one is more moisturizing. Much, much better!

Other good moisturizing poo's for a good price are Creme of Nature and NTM's cream lathering poo. :D

Supposedly Botanoil is made especially for chemically processed hair. I first started using it when Shamboosie reccomended it in his book. However i did not like the way it made my hair feel. It felt stripped and straw like. I have since tried the Therappe and find that it does a much better job at making my hair feel moisturized. It's interesting to see that you had opposite results than I did. :perplexed I guess to each its own! Trial and error and find what works best for your hair. :)

Cincysweetie said:
I've been using it for awhile now, just to use up product on the shelf and because my mom bought it. I can't wait to go back to my beloved Elasta QP Creme Conditioning Shampoo!! Nexxus just hasn't done my hair any favors.

I just can't keep using it! The bottle is still almost full. I have been hearing a lot about elasta QP but I just haven't picked it up. I've got my eye on the mango butter but i'm afraid it will be too heavy

JazzyDez said:
Supposedly Botanoil is made especially for chemically processed hair. I first started using it when Shamboosie reccomended it in his book. However i did not like the way it made my hair feel. It felt stripped and straw like. I have since tried the Therappe and find that it does a much better job at making my hair feel moisturized. It's interesting to see that you had opposite results than I did. :perplexed I guess to each its own! Trial and error and find what works best for your hair. :)

I cannot use Botanoil either.

yes, i never liked nexxus therappe. kenra moisturising shampoo is way better. but i like to stay natural so i use burts bees baby bees shampoo bar

its interesting how different shampoos and conditioners treat everyone's hair differently. I use Nexxus Therappe and it makes my hair feel very soft. I also use CON HerbaRinse shampoo. I've never experienced breaking after using Nexxus.

I saw someone mention Shamboosie's book. I read it as well and he raves about Nexxus and Dudley's. I love Humectress, but I dont think I could use Emergencee every week as he advises. I think that's way too much protein, at least for me.

Same thing happened to me. Therappe was way to stripping. Nexxus always left my hair dull...I used it for a year and just thought that how my hair was naturally. Thank I found this board.

LadyJay114 said:
its interesting how different shampoos and conditioners treat everyone's hair differently. I use Nexxus Therappe and it makes my hair feel very soft. I also use CON HerbaRinse shampoo. I've never experienced breaking after using Nexxus.

I saw someone mention Shamboosie's book. I read it as well and he raves about Nexxus and Dudley's. I love Humectress, but I dont think I could use Emergencee every week as he advises. I think that's way too much protein, at least for me.

Yeah, Humectress is probably the best thing from the nexxus line! :up: I also like Emergencee, and Keraphix.

I will stop using the Therapee and see if that makes any difference in my hair. I've used it before, and although it was a little more drying that my keracare and creme of nature shampoos, I just thought this was due to a different forumla. I don't know.... :confused:

Does anyone let the shampoo stay in your hair for 3 minutes and let the "nexxuspheres" work their "magic" in your hair as the bottles suggest?? LOL* :lol: I don't know whether this is a crock or not!

Also, I'm wondering....do you deep condition with Humectress after you shampoo with Therapee?? I know that after I used therappe, I ALWAYS deep conditioned with Nexxus Humectress afterward, and my hair didn't feel so dry.

Just a thought.....

Crystalicequeen123 said:
Yeah, Humectress is probably the best thing from the nexxus line! :up: I also like Emergencee, and Keraphix.

I will stop using the Therapee and see if that makes any difference in my hair. I've used it before, and although it was a little more drying that my keracare and creme of nature shampoos, I just thought this was due to a different forumla. I don't know.... :confused:

Does anyone let the shampoo stay in your hair for 3 minutes and let the "nexxuspheres" work their "magic" in your hair as the bottles suggest?? LOL* :lol: I don't know whether this is a crock or not!

Also, I'm wondering....do you deep condition with Humectress after you shampoo with Therapee?? I know that after I used therappe, I ALWAYS deep conditioned with Nexxus Humectress afterward, and my hair didn't feel so dry.

Just a thought.....

Nah I didn't deep condition with Humectress and I won't be using Therappe anymore to find out! I'm so tempted to wash my hair with some other shampoo all over again but I don't want to dry it out anymore than it already is.

Although I have Therappe (mainly because it used to come in 2-liter packs with Humectress), I prefer Nexxus Botanoil shampoo made specifically for relaxed, chemically treated and color treated hair. I've used it for years and never ever had a problem with it.

ETA: I always deep condition with Humectress following Botanoil shampoo. I've done it in the past with Therappe and it was not the same, maybe too moisturizing?

Last edited:
Crystalicequeen123 said:

Just a thought.....

I let it stay in for 3 minutes sometimes even five. Didn't make a difference. I used to condition with humectress afterwards too, that made it A LOT better.

Now yall got me wanting to try Botanoil...:cool:

Sounds like you need more of a detangler with some slip. If you find CON and KeraCare moisturizing too coating, try the KeraCare First lather, Kenra or Elucence. I think all three are good gentle shampoos that detangle well.

It looks like the Humectress after Botanoil/Therappe might be the difference.

All the Nexxus bottles say leave in for 3 mins, but I never do that. I wash out the Therappe right after lathering/messaging, and I leave in the Humectress/Keraphix for 10-20 mins.

Back