newbie!

danysedai

Hi Ladies, I am Cuban and immigrated to Canada in April, but I found this awesome site while still in Cuba, I used to lurk everyday. You ladies are all so great, naturals, relaxed, you have made me see that long black beautiful healthy hair is possible. I have 4a/b hair and since I arrived in Canada I have used ORS relaxer. I am trying to follow some of the great advice here:baggie method,airdrying,cowashes..
In Cuba , due to the economical situation,most people use a homemade relaxer concoction made of course with lye,eggs,honey,etc. Box relaxers are making their way into the market but are insanely expensive on a 15 dollars a month salary,and naturals are not common(my sister is one,she has beautiful hair, but sometimes people even yell at her on the street :mad: ). So, I am trying to restore my hair to a healthy condition.
Thanks everyone for being such an inspiration.:D

danysedai said:
Hi Ladies, I am Cuban and immigrated to Canada in April, but I found this awesome site while still in Cuba, I used to lurk everyday. You ladies are all so great, naturals, relaxed, you have made me see that long black beautiful healthy hair is possible. I have 4a/b hair and since I arrived in Canada I have used ORS relaxer. I am trying to follow some of the great advice here:baggie method,airdrying,cowashes..
In Cuba , due to the economical situation,most people use a homemade relaxer concoction made of course with lye,eggs,honey,etc. Box relaxers are making their way into the market but are insanely expensive on a 15 dollars a month salary,and naturals are not common(my sister is one,she has beautiful hair, but sometimes people even yell at her on the street :mad: ). So, I am trying to restore my hair to a healthy condition.
Thanks everyone for being such an inspiration.:D

interesting. does this work? do they get straight hair?

anyhoo, welcome to the board :wave:

Hi danysedai :wave:
Hope you enjoy yourself here! How do you like Canada? I had no idea people in Cuba used homemade relaxers, that's interesting.

Hey welcome to the LHCF family! You have quite a unique story. Have you come up with a regimen? It's unfortunate that your natural sister gets yelled at in public. What exactly is the hair situation in Cuba?? Why the hostility towards naturals?

Welcome! I can't wait to talk with you via private message. I understand what you mean about "economic situations." The average salary out there is very low and it's hard to get a lot of products. So all that is changing now? wow!

OT: Carribean women are extremely resourseful. When I was in the carribean, many ladies used soda cans and toilet tissue rolls as rollers. I have seen the pure lye mixture also.

As the relaxers are made mostly with pure lye,yes the hair gets very very straight, but also very damaged as you can imagine.It burns a lot, some people's hair falls off, and they go around with blisters in their scalp :eek: . In fact, my mom relaxes her hair but she has had the same stylist for years, her hair is incredibly healthy,must be genetics, people are always touching her hair(yes, I know) because is silver/gray, she's only 56 and she uses these silver enhancing shampoos and conditioners, I have lots of grey hairs but after I color they are visible again after a week.
My baby sister had brastrap long hair but decided to be a natural, so she cut it all off and started from zero. There is a lot of racism in my country and unfortunately black people are also racist against their own race. So she gets very nasty glances in the street and some men even yell at her to get a comb(she has very curly hair) because nappy hair is considered ugly. It takes people we know from places like Denmark or Sweden who fall in love with her hair to make her have her confidence back.I used to be a natural but after a while decided to have my hair relaxed again.
So far, I like Canada a lot, my husband and I live in Montreal but are already thinking of moving to Toronto.
This is a picture of my 2 sisters and my mom in Havana,I'm the one holding my pregnant sister's belly......

Attachments

• sisters.JPG
    sisters.JPG
    71.3 KB · Views: 38
danysedai said:
As the relaxers are made mostly with pure lye,yes the hair gets very very straight, but also very damaged as you can imagine.It burns a lot, some people's hair falls off, and they go around with blisters in their scalp :eek: . In fact, my mom relaxes her hair but she has had the same stylist for years, her hair is incredibly healthy,must be genetics, people are always touching her hair(yes, I know) because is silver/gray, she's only 56 and she uses these silver enhancing shampoos and conditioners, I have lots of grey hairs but after I color they are visible again after a week.
My baby sister had brastrap long hair but decided to be a natural, so she cut it all off and started from zero. There is a lot of racism in my country and unfortunately black people are also racist against their own race. So she gets very nasty glances in the street and some men even yell at her to get a comb(she has very curly hair) because nappy hair is considered ugly. It takes people we know from places like Denmark or Sweden who fall in love with her hair to make her have her confidence back.I used to be a natural but after a while decided to have my hair relaxed again.
So far, I like Canada a lot, my husband and I live in Montreal but are already thinking of moving to Toronto.
This is a picture of my 2 sisters and my mom in Havana,I'm the one holding my pregnant sister's belly......

Welcome to the board. You have a gorgeous family.

Welcome to the LHCF!:wave:

We have discussions about Cuba a lot on this board :)

Thank you for sharing your beautiful family pic with us
-tru

Last edited:
yes- welcome to the board. Very interesting story- glad that you have more opportunity available to you now and sorry that that harrassed your lovely sister. You have a beautiful family. HHG (Happy Hair Growing).

danysedai said:

Welcome to the board, you and your family are beautiful, and i love your sisters thick curly hair and mommy's grey hair:grin:

Bienvenidos! Estoy muy feliz que estás aquÃ*.
You have a beautiful family. Sorry if I spelled stuff wrong!!!!

Thank you for the mini hair class:) Sometimes we get so caught up in ourselves that in the US we forget just how fortunate we are. We're glad you joined us:grin:

9.gif
to LHCF, danysedai! :wave:

I look forward to reading more of your posts. Your family and you are very pretty! :rosebud:

Back