Newbie Needing 411

Travis Girl

Newbie Needing 411 for Aveda Products & Salons, Design Essentials

[FONT=&quot]I’ve been a LHCF lurker for several months. This is an awesome site! I’ve learned some really helpful things about hair. I appreciate all the knowledge sharing and encouragement everyone gives each other. So here I am seeking advice.

Here are my issues. I’m noticing that my hairline is thinning out. It’s beginning to alarm me. I gave up ponytails nearly 2 years ago. I try not to do my usual right part and opt for a left part or no part. Overall, the thinning seems to be in my widows peak area and hairline. And it goes back about ½ to ¾ inch. I’m wondering if it’s hormonal and the scary part---could my hairdresser have gotten too heavy handed with a previous touch up. 2 touch ups back, she did my hair bone straight and it wouldn’t hold a curl. I never returned to her again. I wonder if this is the reason for my hairline issue. I went to another hairdresser as my next touch up time neared and she gave me a light touch up (in May) to tie me over until after I moved, so I wouldn't arrive at my current location desperate.

I'm stretching until I can find a good salon. I was told by several hairdressers that Affirm distributors are hard to come by in my area---so they use products that I have no clue about. I don’t remember them now, but I couldn’t find much on them when I searched this forum/internet at the time…hmmmm. This is so nerve racking because I’m very picky about my hair. When I find a great hairdresser, I’m there for the long haul and I don’t mind paying for great service and care. I was with my favorite hairdresser for 9 years! I've visited a few salons to get a feel for the place---and I leave with a big “NOPE” across my forehead. I've asked some women whose hair I admired and they told me they did it themselves, which spoke volumes to me. I’ve never self-relaxed and it isn’t a consideration by any means. I know there’s a place for me, I’ll just take my time. I’ve come across one salon that I’m not quite sure about, but it uses Affirm and an Aveda Salon that I'm considering, but it uses a relaxer called Design Essentials. I’ve used an Aveda poo/con and was pleased with them, but I’ve never visited an Aveda salon or used Design Essentials. Can a newbie get some 411 on thinning hairline, Aveda, Aveda products, and Design Essentials? Thank you in advance for your advice and comments. Please help a sista!!!

The pictures below are my hairline/dry, hairline/wet, the back wet, back blow dried and side blow dried. Taken August 2007
[/FONT]

Attachments

• 092107misc 044a.jpg
    092107misc 044a.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 6
  • 092107misc 063a.jpg
    092107misc 063a.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 5
  • 092107misc 053a.jpg
    092107misc 053a.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 9
  • 092107misc 084ab.jpg
    092107misc 084ab.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 7
  • 092107misc 086a.jpg
    092107misc 086a.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
:welcome:

**I likes welcoming folx!**:grin:

Girl, your hair is beautiful!!!!!:blush: I'm no hair expert, hopefully the other ladies will be in here soon to help ya.:yep:

I've heard some really good thing about Design Essentials relaxer. I'm actually thinking of using that for my next touch up. I'm sure other ladies will chime in about it. Also for the thinning hairline, maybe try some Jamaican black castor oil or some Boundless Tresses. BT really grew out my bald spot form a botched weave I had earilier this year. :yep: If interested, you can order it at www.growthspecifics.com. The castor oil can be found at some Beauty supply stores or you can order it at www.sams27.com .Hope that helps!!

P.S:I you order from Sams, don't forget that LHCF has a discount code you can use for 5% or 10% off. (I forget how much its for.)

:welcome:

**I likes welcoming folx!**:grin:

Girl, your hair is beautiful!!!!!:blush: I'm no hair expert, hopefully the other ladies will be in here soon to help ya.:yep:

You're so sweet, thank you for the welcome! :wave: Right now my hair is in need of some intensive care. I have some serious research to do....

Hi and Welcome to the board.

For your hair line try the products already mentioned. Also try massing your scalp in those areas too to stimulate growth. Alternate the way you tie your hair up at night too.

I have used design essentials relaxers and I like them. I use the regular strength. I also like their shampoos especially the moisture rentention shampoo.

I've heard some really good thing about Design Essentials relaxer. I'm actually thinking of using that for my next touch up. I'm sure other ladies will chime in about it. Also for the thinning hairline, maybe try some Jamaican black castor oil or some Boundless Tresses. BT really grew out my bald spot form a botched weave I had earilier this year. :yep: If interested, you can order it at www.growthspecifics.com. The castor oil can be found at some Beauty supply stores or you can order it at www.sams27.com .Hope that helps!!

P.S:I you order from Sams, don't forget that LHCF has a discount code you can use for 5% or 10% off. (I forget how much its for.)

Thanks for your response! What did you hear about Design Essentials? And I'm glad your bald spot is no longer, you sound like a satisfied customer! I will check out the products you recommended.

Hi and Welcome to the board.

For your hair line try the products already mentioned. Also try massing your scalp in those areas too to stimulate growth. Alternate the way you tie your hair up at night too.

I have used design essentials relaxers and I like them. I use the regular strength. I also like their shampoos especially the moisture rentention shampoo.

Hey, thank you! I'm gonna try to get the hang of the massaging. I believe I saw an article Sistaslick had about massaging and it made sense to me. I just have to remember to add it to the routine. I have a satin pillow case, maybe I'll try to give the sleep scarf a rest. The times I've tried, I wake up all crazy, thinking something's crawling on me---and it's just a loose hair!:lachen: I know my hubby thinks I'm losing it!

My hair is a serious drinker, so I need all the moisture I can get. Do you use DE moisture retention shampoo exclusively?

ps. Your mom looks awesome!

Hey, thank you! I'm gonna try to get the hang of the massaging. I believe I saw an article Sistaslick had about massaging and it made sense to me. I just have to remember to add it to the routine. I have a satin pillow case, maybe I'll try to give the sleep scarf a rest. The times I've tried, I wake up all crazy, thinking something's crawling on me---and it's just a loose hair!:lachen: I know my hubby thinks I'm losing it!

My hair is a serious drinker, so I need all the moisture I can get. Do you use DE moisture retention shampoo exclusively?

ps. Your mom looks awesome!

I don't use the poo exclusively only because I am in the process of getting rid of some shampoo's that are just okay to me. I will be buying a big sized bottle of it for myself for christmas. I find that it moisturizes my hair, detangles and doesn't build up easily.

Thanks. My mom was so happy. I love that pic of her.

Back