Newbie Myself

What length did you start your hair journey at?

• EL (ear length)

Votes: 11 22.9%
  • NL (neck length)

Votes: 13 27.1%
  • SL (shoulder length)

Votes: 16 33.3%
  • APL (arm-pit length)

Votes: 4 8.3%
  • BSL (bra-strap length)

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Other

Votes: 3 6.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Hypnotic_LT

So hello ladies!!! :yay: I'd like to introduce myself :grin:

1. I'm Hypnotic_ LT with 4a/4b (the debate is still out on if I know my right texture yet lol) hair that is NL.
2. I have never been longer then NL hair in my life :wallbash: Now obviously my hair grows because when I was perm addicted I had to get one EVERY 6 weeks because of healthy NG. So there has to be something there. My hair just never retains I guess.
3. So I get on the net :blush: and start looking for ways to grow my hair...start seeing scams pop up first, you know the kind ladies, MIRACLE growth serums that never really work (not without you knowing how to properly take care of your hair first!) and my own skepticism from life long lessons that blacks don't grow long hair. If their hair looks nice, pretty and nearly fake, honey it is! :nono: (I hate to even admit that I felt that way!)
4. So I started seeing two sites continuously pop up when searched...LCHF :kiss: and KISS :clap:....I was amazed!!! I had just found out I was pregnant and lurked on the sites for a while trying to soak up info until I finally joined both....
5. Switched to a lot of natural products, vitamins, and oils and haven't looked back!!!! :drunk:

Now that you know my back history I wanted to ask you ladies something....I am NL and would LOVE to see someone with progress from NL to APL or longer....I'd luv to see it done:lick: since that is my own struggle. I can't seem to find them and all I see are sistahs that are already SL or longer....Now, don't get me wrong, I envy them and sooooooo want to get there :drool: but haven't yet....I have my regi, my products, my hair journal filled out already for over the last month when I've gotten really serious, been stretching the perm (since preggo) since January and don't plan to stop! Posted pics in an album for you all to see and trying to get under way....Help me ladies. Many of you have been here, done this....and if ANY of you have progress from NL to APL or longer I worship you and would really like to follow your progress lol....:worship2: TIA ladies and HHG!!! Any help, advice, thoughts are most welcome...I know it may not seem like I've been on the journey as long as I've seen others before posting but I'mma research like crazy and jump in feet first kinda girl lol. I hope that works.... Thanx again ladies...

hi and welcome!!! i started at neck and shoulder length :lachen: what i mean is my hair was jacked up so bad my ends on one side was like neck and the other side shoulder lol. here are the pics of my journey:

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=326669&highlight=

my hair is short now as i just did the BC

Wow your progress was amazing :yawn: and thank you very much for showing me that! I love your dragon! I have my own on the left shoulder and a pretty big water scene on the right shoulder blade, no one will ever be able to say that's not me in my photos lol.:lachen:

Thanks and no problem! Patience is really key in all this, and I have none so it was a real struggle for me lol. If I can do it anyone can, really. :yep: :grin:

Wow your progress was amazing :yawn: and thank you very much for showing me that! I love your dragon! I have my own on the left shoulder and a pretty big water scene on the right shoulder blade, no one will ever be able to say that's not me in my photos lol.:lachen:

I've had APL to BSL a good portion of my life. After the birth of my son however, my hair started shedding like crazy due to the lack of hormones and pre-natal vitamins that I was taking. I decided to go back to school and basically stopped taking care of my hair and myself really because I was too busy being a mom and a student. As of today my hair is a little past shoulder length but not quite armpit length in my quest to return to brastrap length.

Ah ok. I guess that is one good thing about not taking the pre-natals (I can't stomach them. The baby gets pretty sick when I try to:nono:) but hopefully when I begin my biotin, vitamins c, a, e, and msm the hair will get better on top of starting to use me castor oil, glycerin, apricot, and sweet almond oils as well! I can't wait. I am happy I got excited about taking care of my hair otherwise I never would have wanted to do any of this!!!! :rolleyes:

I'm taking Great Hair by Vitol Products, Biotin 1mg, and an Amino Acid Complex. This combo is doing wonders for my hair and nails. My doctor told me that I could still take pre-natal vitamins even though I'm no longer preggers, but the ones over the counter don't compare with the doctor prescribed vitamins. The vitamins she had me on were way more potent. :yep:

Welcome!!!

I started my journey at EL, but joined LHCF at NL

Flowinlocks, do you have a fotki that shows your progress from then to now??

@everyone else, thanks for responding. I can't take the pre-natals anyway so I'm hoping not to have that dramatic shedding when my LO gets here. I just want my hair to be the best it can be and to show, with my progress, that anything is possible:drunk:!

When I joined LHCF in 2004, I started at shoulder length relaxed hair.
In 2005, I did the big chop... cut off all of my hair. I only had 1/2 an inch of hair.
Now (2010), my natural hair is armpit length when stretched. I'm suspecting it could have been longer if I had avoided trimming alot and doing things to my hair that caused breakage.

Congrats on the growth and I have no doubt it probably would have been longer without some of the trimming lol. My stylist says he sees about an inch or more new growth and he's itching like crazy perm it lol. Of course I told him no :grin: and I'll probably get it braided in a couple weeks to last through the summer. Then I'll let him straighten it really good (with some heat, not chemicals) in september for a length check :drunk:

So far I'm seeing more ladies started from SL but it is comforting that NL is a close second! That let's me know that I'm not the only one lol

Hi,

Sorry to jump on your query but I am a newbie my self. I joined LHCF in March 2010 after meeting a colleague at my new work place with WLH and looking at her in dis-belief when she told me that it was real. You know how it is the usual assumption that her hair was a weave. Anyway she led me to LHCF and Fotki and gave me a few tips. I began to look at other sites such as KISS and others. I brought a hooded dryer, steamer and loads of shampoo and conditioner.

Since doing a bit of research my eyes are now open to this whole new world of hair care, I never new existed. To be honest when I first started reading I was a little put off. It seemed very time consuming and don't hate me for saying this but hair seemed to take over some peoples lives. I suppose I was just afraid of the dedication I know that sounds strange.

So my story is I spent my teenage life growing my hair and as soon as it got to any sort of length I went straight to the hairdrersses and cut it all off (I had some really short styles). Like you my hair has never been longer than NL. After meeting this girl at work I decided to start my hair journey, oh and just before my birthday Feb 2010 I went to the hairdressers just for a relax and style and they cut my hair from NL to EL due to breakage and damage. I had that moment when there were actual tears in my eyes, :cry:even for my little piece of hair it hurt no matter how cute people said the style was I was UPSET!!!!

Anyway so now I am on my journey so I suppose I have the same queries as Hypnotic_LT. One thing I also really would like to know is how do you know your hair type, is there a table or chart you all use??

Oh sorry I have no pics don't know how to upload them as yet but will have go soon.

Thanks

Hi,

Sorry to jump on your query but I am a newbie my self. I joined LHCF in March 2010 after meeting a colleague at my new work place with WLH and looking at her in dis-belief when she told me that it was real. You know how it is the usual assumption that her hair was a weave. Anyway she led me to LHCF and Fotki and gave me a few tips. I began to look at other sites such as KISS and others. I brought a hooded dryer, steamer and loads of shampoo and conditioner.

Since doing a bit of research my eyes are now open to this whole new world of hair care, I never new existed. To be honest when I first started reading I was a little put off. It seemed very time consuming and don't hate me for saying this but hair seemed to take over some peoples lives. I suppose I was just afraid of the dedication I know that sounds strange.

So my story is I spent my teenage life growing my hair and as soon as it got to any sort of length I went straight to the hairdrersses and cut it all off (I had some really short styles). Like you my hair has never been longer than NL. After meeting this girl at work I decided to start my hair journey, oh and just before my birthday Feb 2010 I went to the hairdressers just for a relax and style and they cut my hair from NL to EL due to breakage and damage. I had that moment when there were actual tears in my eyes, :cry:even for my little piece of hair it hurt no matter how cute people said the style was I was UPSET!!!!

Anyway so now I am on my journey so I suppose I have the same queries as Hypnotic_LT. One thing I also really would like to know is how do you know your hair type, is there a table or chart you all use??

Oh sorry I have no pics don't know how to upload them as yet but will have go soon.

Thanks

I understand honey and I don't mind you jumping on! Another lady in my predicament with my thoughts is appreciated! HHG to you

Thanks, oh and by the way I forgot to say you may not experience breakage, when I was pregnant with my daughter my hair grew loads due to hormones & extensions I suppose.

By the way do you have any idea about finding out your hair type?

Good luck!!!

Hey Girlie! I would consider myself starting at neck length. Please click on the link above my siggy to see the gradual two year progression. If you have any questions, let me know! Happy hair growing!

Hi Hypnotic LT, We're on the same journey. I chopped my hair 9 months ago to NL..and I'm growing the cut out..My younger days I was mbl..by the time I joined LCHF, I was SL..became busy turned 40...rejoined LCHF...I've just started posting pics in the album today. I'll be watchin u..LOL
Reecie..U have beautiful hair..I recently had my hair colored..almost if not the same color u have.

Welcome!:wave: I started my HHJ at ear-length with severe breakage, a bald-spot in the left side of my head and a damaged nape. After a few setbacks, I managed to get to NL. I transitioned in braids and twists for a year, trimming between installs until I made it past SL. I BC'd in April but I'm NL/SL now (depending on the amount of shrinkage:ohwell:)

Last edited:
Hey Girlie! I would consider myself starting at neck length. Please click on the link above my siggy to see the gradual two year progression. If you have any questions, let me know! Happy hair growing!

THANK YOU :worship2: you are amazing! Your hair is fierce to honey so I am so :lick: right now! Congrats on your growth and trust me, lol, I will be asking questions soon!

Hi Hypnotic LT, We're on the same journey. I chopped my hair 9 months ago to NL..and I'm growing the cut out..My younger days I was mbl..by the time I joined LCHF, I was SL..became busy turned 40...rejoined LCHF...I've just started posting pics in the album today. I'll be watchin u..LOL
Reecie..U have beautiful hair..I recently had my hair colored..almost if not the same color u have.

It's good to hear I am not the only one out there!!!!! Your hair looks great and so do you! I went to your album this morning and will be happy to see you grow as I do lol

Thanks, oh and by the way I forgot to say you may not experience breakage, when I was pregnant with my daughter my hair grew loads due to hormones & extensions I suppose.

By the way do you have any idea about finding out your hair type?

Good luck!!!

As for your hair type, I had my hair in locks before so I knew the thicker, tighter coils of my hair put me in category 4 but I'm still working out if I'm a or b. But the best way to know what level you are in is to watch your NG only, no the texture it is with relaxed hair too. As you stretch your relaxer watch the new growth and see if it coils tighter, is it looser waves, or what. That will help you decide a lot!!!

welcome fellow nooobie!!!

I started @ NL relaxed hair in 2008, got to APL in late 2009, then had a major setback and BCd Nov last year after a 5 week "transitiion" :rolleyes:

now Im NL again (actually Im basically the same length I was when I strated 2 years ago

Attachments

• lhcf start.jpg
    lhcf start.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 1
  • lhcf start1.jpg
    lhcf start1.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0545-vi.jpg
    IMG_0545-vi.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_1961.jpg
    IMG_1961.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
welcome fellow nooobie!!!

I started @ NL relaxed hair in 2008, got to APL in late 2009, then had a major setback and BCd Nov last year after a 5 week "transitiion" :rolleyes:

now Im NL again (actually Im basically the same length I was when I strated 2 years ago

All I can say is I'm feeling so much better!!! You hair is nice hon!!! What made you BC?

All I can say is I'm feeling so much better!!! You hair is nice hon!!! What made you BC?

hmmmmm ... Im not sure .. i was just ready. I cant even say it was b/c of my setback because Ive had setbacks before and never anything major ...'cept for the gum in my hair that one time.

but Im hard on myself, I had hair anorexia as a relaxed head and I thought my hair was too thin, even though it was actually thick enough by most standards :wallbash:

this is actually my 3rd time natural in the last 10 years, the longest I stayed natural was abt 2 years, but this time its for keeps :2inlove:

I understand. I did a BC a few years ago and wore dreads. Cut them out when I felt I couldn't be versatile enough without wearing wigs and then regretted it when I did lol. Then, went into braids and back to relaxers (which my mother has put on me since I was 3 can you believe it!!!) and now transitioning. Haven't had a perm since January and I'm proud of that lol. I don't want to do a perm until January (if I even decide to do one and not just leave it alone and press out my hair!!!) We'll see.

Back