Newbie in need:-(

Austro-Afrikana

Hi, ive been lurking around for about a month. Ive been using the crown and glory braids regimen for the past 5months and i love it-have gotten 3-4 inches growth. But i find that when i take out my braids i just dont know what to do anymore. There is so much new growth. Recently my hair has been falling out more than usual and whenever i wash it is so dry and limp and feels brittle. I dont know what to do other than go back into braids-but thats just running away. The next time i take out my braids it will be even harder as there will be even more new growth to deal with.
I dont know what to do, please help.

Lurk in fotki's for hair styles. After the braids come out, are you still moisturizing? Moisture is key for manageable hair. Try braid outs, wearing head bands with puffs or even try roller setting. There's so many things you can do. Have you tried wearing it in a donut bun? Visit my fotki and see if anything helps. I"m sure others have ideas as well...

Thanks for replying. Yeah i have been doing the donut bun since the last time i took out my hair. The problem isnt so much styling but when i wash and blowdry and straighten my hair, it feels so fragile and i cant even wrap it

Oh, then I think you should lay off the braids for longer stretches. Are you doing any protein condishes? If it seems fragile, maybe you should try. Try a light one first though. I would do egg whites with yogurt, or just egg whites. See if that strengthens it. I do condishes with molasses and olive oil. This really strengthens my hair. A lighter side of that would be honey and olive oil. I would try these things before trying anything really hard. See what reaction you get. I think if you try these items you'll definitely see a change.

Do you think all this could be protein overload? You see i use the affirm 5in1 like every week, on its own (i thought it was a moisture protein mix)plus my moisturiser has keratin in it. But it just seems like all conditioners have protein.

:blush: Too much protein girly! That's my opinion though. Take it down a notch and add more moisture. Water is pure moisture, try wetting those braids from time to time. I wet my hair daily and I can't tell you how soft and strong it is. I don't think braid wearers should use so much protein but that's my opinion. I would cut out the 5 in 1(that's very hard core and should be used like once every 2 months), keep the one with keratin and still do honey and olive oil treatments. It's very moisturizing but strengthens too. I just think you need to do that and you'll be fine. So that's take out some protein and add honey/olive oil DC's. Use 1 teaspoon of honey with 2-3 teaspoons of olive. Try leaving it on overnight with a plastic cap/bag. You will be amazed with what you come out with in the morning!

Lol. I Feel kinda silly using all that protein, and i just bought another bottle today.
Well i dont think i could handle wetting my hair every day especially as i live in hard water london. But i will drink more water and try your honey and olive oil remedy. Sounds yummy
Thank you. Such a helpful laydee

Lol. I Feel kinda silly using all that protein, and i just bought another bottle today.
Well i dont think i could handle wetting my hair every day especially as i live in hard water london. But i will drink more water and try your honey and olive oil remedy. Sounds yummy
Thank you. Such a helpful laydee
Awwww, I could hear your "laydee":yep:. My boss is from Cheshire(sp?) and she's there now on holiday...I miss her so! Don't feel silly, it's a learning process. Since you live around hard water, try mixing aloe vera with distilled water or drinking water. If you can find glycerin that would be perfect to add to the aloe and water. Mix these three together and spray it in your hair. It's an awesome moisturizing spray. I think once you lay off the protein, your hair will come back to life. Good luck!

Well naturalgurl is on the case! Excellent advice.
I was just wondering if you deep condition your hair between braids? I would dc 1-2 times per week between braids.

ETA: and a good water filter would be a good investment.

Back