New growth---What do you do to keep it moisturized during a long stretch?

princessdi

I’m asking because I am now 18 weeks post relaxer and my new growth is very coarse and it takes forever to try to section and separate to apply moisturizers to this area. It’s driving me crazy!!:wallbash: I deep condition at least three times a week w/heat and co-wash daily to combat the dryness and to add moisture; however, once the hair is dry the new growth shrinks and becomes very hard to handle. I normally deep condition for 45 minutes with Queen Helene Cholesterol mixed with GVP Conditioning Balm and then apply water-based leave-in (normally stay-so-fro) and then apply Sunsilk Hydra TLC to the strands and seal with Avocado oil, but this is not working. I co-wash with Herbal Essence Replenishing Conditioner (it’s a God send). Most of the time I apply a baggy to my hair and leave on while exercising on leave on overnight. With this stuff, my hair feels like butter; however, again the new growth is what’s giving me trouble.

Is anyone else having this problem? If so, what are you doing to make this process easier? I don’t plan to relax until I reach 24 weeks (6 months). Ladies, I need all the help I can get. Does anyone have any suggestions?

So far what's helping me are HOTs (hot oil treatments) and porosity control, whether I use the PC shampoo and conditioner or a final ACV rinse, citric acid rinse - as long as it's porosity control, it helps me a lot. But I would highly recommend HOTs. You can do them as an overnight pre-poo or a 20 or 30 minute one just before you shampoo your hair.

But honestly, the best one I've done was just before I added my DC to my hair. I would heat some evoo in the microwave for a few seconds, apply it to my hair, then add my DC on top of it, and DC as usual. I would wash it out followed by a cool ACV rinse and voila! Soft smooth hair - new growth and all.

If you haven't tried this yet, you can also take 3 heaping TBS each of epsom salt and your favorite moisturizing deep conditioner, heat in the microwave for about 30 seconds and apply to your hair and deep condition with heat for 30-45 minutes.

I don't have any real detangling problems since I've started doing these things to my hair.

Co washing with Garnier conditioners really helps because of the cones. HE coniditoners can be very drying sometimes because of the alcohol content.
(Amodimethicone: Once the amine-functional silicone is deposited onto the surface of the hair, it spreads out and forms a cross linked film when it dries. This cross linked film can last through several washings, which is considered to be advantageous in most applications. A unique property of these polymers is that once in place on the surface of the hair, they repel further deposition of amine-functional polymers on top of the existing layer, preventing buildup............. Just a little incase youra cone-aphobe:lachen:)

I spray Just for Me Hair Milk or Surge on my roots while hair is dry. FOR ME it detangles and softens. I then apply mango butter or castor oil or coconut oil to seal in the moisture. I made it 7 months post with no problems.

Porosity Control will help out a lot. It will allow your hair (in this case your new growth) to absord moisture and retain it.

HTH

Too be honest I'm not a big fan of drug store cons. :ohwell: I've tried many including HE LTR, Pantene and V05 and find them to be too drying. I primarily use Redken and Aveda products. I cowash with either All Soft or Smooth Down con. I then leave in full strength conditioner throughout my hair and seal with oil. I spritz my hair throughout the day with scurl. Basically keeping the ng moist helps a lot. Also, pure glycerine is an awesome humectant that will keep the hair soft.

Salon products are a bit more expensive, but I either buy them on sale or suck it up because they work better for my hair. I am a stretcher like you, so I rationalize that I am spending less money in the salon so I will invest more money in products to take care of my hair at home.

Cowashing 3 times a week has been really helpful for my new growth. I don't shampoo wash as often anymore... and on 2 of my cowash days, I DC.

while I was transitioning...and I admit I didn't transition long at all.....I used Hawiian Silky 14-1 moisturizer daily on my new growth

I’m asking because I am now 18 weeks post relaxer and my new growth is very coarse and it takes forever to try to section and separate to apply moisturizers to this area. It’s driving me crazy!!:wallbash: I deep condition at least three times a week w/heat and co-wash daily to combat the dryness and to add moisture; however, once the hair is dry the new growth shrinks and becomes very hard to handle. I normally deep condition for 45 minutes with Queen Helene Cholesterol mixed with GVP Conditioning Balm and then apply water-based leave-in (normally stay-so-fro) and then apply Sunsilk Hydra TLC to the strands and seal with Avocado oil, but this is not working. I co-wash with Herbal Essence Replenishing Conditioner (it’s a God send). Most of the time I apply a baggy to my hair and leave on while exercising on leave on overnight. With this stuff, my hair feels like butter; however, again the new growth is what’s giving me trouble.

Is anyone else having this problem? If so, what are you doing to make this process easier? I don’t plan to relax until I reach 24 weeks (6 months). Ladies, I need all the help I can get. Does anyone have any suggestions?

i don't do anything "special" to keep my NG moistruized outside of what you mentioned. :nono:

sorry i can't be of more help! but maybe long stretches aren't for you...

MoeGro Growth oil, and Vatika Coconut oil. I part & apply to the scalp, then use the pads of my fingers to massage my scalp. My NG is soft for days with these oils.:yep:

I conditon Wash twice a week and moisturize with proline Softner moisturizer & S curl has helped me.

Oh I forgot to add that henna treatments have been helping me stretch my relaxers longer also.

Back