New *2010* Transitioners Support Thread!

How often are you manipulating your hair? Do you use heat?
IDK if I can give good advice because I don't even pay attention to shedding or breakage so I wouldn't know what to do to solve it other than low-manipulation and cutting down on heat. OR maybe you NEED heat and low-manipulation. What's your reggie?

I haven't used heat since April. I'm on a personal no heat challenge. I'm trying not to use heat again until i'm at least 100% natural. I just started my Hair Care Journey back in March so my reggie is just now starting to stabilize itself out.

Co-wash 5+ times a week
DC 1-2 a week.
Spray Aphogee Keratine & Green Tea on top of my DC 1x a week
Shampoo 2x a month with Skala Shea Butter
Clarify 1x a month Neutrogena Clarifying Shampoo

After my co-washes I usually just wet bun and it air dries. Sometimes I do a two strand twist for the weekend.

I haven't used heat since April. I'm on a personal no heat challenge. I'm trying not to use heat again until i'm at least 100% natural. I just started my Hair Care Journey back in March so my reggie is just now starting to stabilize itself out.

Co-wash 5+ times a week
DC 1-2 a week.
Spray Aphogee Keratine & Green Tea on top of my DC 1x a week
Shampoo 2x a month with Skala Shea Butter
Clarify 1x a month Neutrogena Clarifying Shampoo

After my co-washes I usually just wet bun and it air dries. Sometimes I do a two strand twist for the weekend.

Have you ever considered that to be way too much manipulation? Maybe your hair can't take the frequent washing. Mine used to in the beginning of my journey, but now it can't, so I've cut back on the washing. Maybe you need a style that you can keep in for 1 wk or 2....idk just a suggestion

Have you ever considered that to be way too much manipulation? Maybe your hair can't take the frequent washing. Mine used to in the beginning of my journey, but now it can't, so I've cut back on the washing. Maybe you need a style that you can keep in for 1 wk or 2....idk just a suggestion

I think that may be too much manipulation. :yep: Washing every day is too much for some people. Maybe every other day?

Also, how are you detangling? Proper detangling is just as important as moisture and protein.

Okay, so I just washed. I braid my hair to stretch it out. I put a roller on the ends of the hair, and I get a braid out look. Since I am one year post, I decided to document some things. My relaxed hair is really light compared to my natural hair, and while it may weigh my natural hair down, I think that it does so only a little bit.

In the back of my head (where I wouldn't miss the cut) I cut the relaxed hair off of a small section. That is my 4b section. Anyway, the shrinkage is ridiculous. My hair was damp, I took a little bit of my garnier shine wax and those two little coils popped up.

sashaandme003.jpg

sashaandme006.jpg

sashaandme012.jpg

The rest of the pics of my hair are from the front/side, where the texture can look like anything on a regular (my hair was damp, and I combed and brushed it).

sashaandme016.jpg

\
sashaandme015.jpg

I think that may be too much manipulation. :yep: Washing every day is too much for some people. Maybe every other day?

Also, how are you detangling? Proper detangling is just as important as moisture and protein.

I only detangle with codish in my hair and I first finger comb then use a seamless wide tooth comb. I try to check the hair in the comb to see if its just shed hair. The past month or so, I have been getting nothing but shed hair. I've been so happy about that, but this past week I've started to see some long hairs in my comb without the white bulb and the ends aren't curly. So I know it has to be breakage from the demarcation line. I just don't know why this is starting now!

I know this isnt for everyone, but I dont detangle with conditioner in my hair. I detangle with leave-in and oil (and sometimes a serum) in my hair. I also finger comb, use a wide tooth, and THEN use a brush. I never have mats AND my retention has been on point.

Perhaps your hair would do better to detangle after rinsing out your conditioner?

:hiya2:
I'm 77 weeks post and I'm back :)

I had a straw set done for my friend's wedding:

I'm back in London and this is two day old hair:

I had it done at a salon and wasn't too pleased with how my hair was combed (which I ofcourse let them know so they were a little gentler :yep:). I can't wait to deep condition and cowash my hair... one thing I know is, I'm going to add this to my styles, :love: it!

Chop date still looks like it's gonna be 20th June :)

76 weeks post :yahoo:

My transition is still going well. It's so funny looking at my hair wet because my natrual hair is much longer than my relaxed ends now so I have a big bush of hair, with very straight ends when my hair's wet. I know, at this point, ladies in my gym look at my wet hair wondering what's going on with it but who cares? :look:

I've had my hair in a bun for the last couple of weeks. I cowash my hair (in braids or loose) and airdry in a bun 3 times a week. Before bed, I take down the bun, moisturise and seal and put my hair back up, laying it down with a scarf. Next day, I moisturise and seal after my workout and apply a little gel then lay down my hair with a scarf.

My friend's wedding is next weekend and I spent a lot of time wondering what to do with my hair but I now I know :yep: I will blow dry my hair the night before, and put my hair in flat twists (or should I do cornrows?), curling the ends on flexirods, Next morning - twistout/braidout. If I get sweaty... I'll pull my hair up into a puff.

I'll be back in a little under 2 weeks with pictures :grin:

KUTGW Ladies :)

I know this isnt for everyone, but I dont detangle with conditioner in my hair. I detangle with leave-in and oil (and sometimes a serum) in my hair. I also finger comb, use a wide tooth, and THEN use a brush. I never have mats AND my retention has been on point.

Perhaps your hair would do better to detangle after rinsing out your conditioner?

Thanks for the tip! I will definitely try that out!

hello girls,
I know im kind of late in this challenge bu Can I be in ?
Im 4a/4B, APL

my regi :
- Shampoo once a week with
1)shikakai/amla/neem/fenugrec/hibiscus powder + water+ honey + coconut milk + olive oil (drops)
OR
2)AO HSR + honey + glycerin + 3 drops of CON (green bottle)

-Deep condish once a week with
1)Rhassoul deep condish cube( from anita grant) + AO HSR
OR
2)Apoghee 2min+ honey
OR
3)AO HSR + eggs + honey +rosemary EO

- leave in once a week :
1)Apoghee keratin & green tea
+
2)Lemongrass transtioning creme (darcy's botanical)
+
3)Madagascar vanilla butter (darcy's botanical)

- Moisturizer :
no need : i do it once a week with darc'ys creme and butter and my hair is wonderfully moisturised during a whole week.

-Hair growth aid :
1) (EVERY DAY)oil free serum(alchoolic) infused with rosemary leaf with rosemary, pepermint, tea tree, ylan ylang, bay essential oils+ nettle powder+ wheat germ protein + honequat
2) (once a week) honey comb rejuvenator(komaza care)

My goal :one full year transitioning

Here are my lenght (taken 1 month ago WITH NG not flat ironed) and texture(taken 15 days ago) :

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

This is what I used to do and now that you mention this, I think I need to go back to detangling like this. I think some people's hair is just too fragile to manipulate while wet like that
. :yep:

Last edited:
Your hair looks fabulous!! I can't wait until you are completely natural so that I can see how creative you will be with your hairstyles! Is that too selfish...me wanting you to BC so I can benefit from seeing your natural hairstyles?:lachen:

In other news, I BC'd my nape area. It is six inches long and still long enough for my bun without being tight. I cracked up when I saw the shrinkage! From 6 inches to 3 inches in seconds...gotta love shrinkage. I will be 18 months in late Nov, so I will see where I am then and hopefully cut the rest.

:hiya2:
I'm 77 weeks post and I'm back :)

I had a straw set done for my friend's wedding:

I'm back in London and this is two day old hair:

I had it done at a salon and wasn't too pleased with how my hair was combed (which I ofcourse let them know so they were a little gentler :yep:). I can't wait to deep condition and cowash my hair... one thing I know is, I'm going to add this to my styles, :love: it!

Chop date still looks like it's gonna be 20th June :)

This is EXACTLY what I've done for years. My hair is tender when wet, and I worry about combing it in the shower with condish in. I only do that if it is especially tangled. Usually I just towel dry, apply leave-in creams, oil, serum, then comb out one section at a time. This works best for me.:yep:

UPDATE: Still going strong on the transition! Will be 11 mos post June 22. So excited at the thought of how much hair I'll have this time next year.

Do you use a serum to seal? If not, please try it before deciding to relax or BKT. Since I have switched to sealing with a serum instead of using oils, SSK are a thing of my past.

What type of serum would you suggest? I tried oil rinsing yesterday...it may be an answer...if I can find a lighter oil. My hair is so oily right now!!!

You've been transitioning for so long! Why the change?

ETA sorry for the multiple posts guys, I haven't been on in a while so I'm responding to everything as I read it

^^ ITA.... blksndrlla what were your initial transitioning plans (i.e. BC/ no BC)?

I originally intended on BCing...especially by this July (2 years), but I am a slow grower...so, I won't be cutting then. I am just frustrated with my hair at this point. I wanted the ability to wear my curls and straight hair, but it seems that each has its own down side...(curly styles = ssk straight styles = risk of heat damage or my recent experience of white dot breakage) I am still on the fence about what I will do. I only had a relaxer 5 years of my life...but this is the first time I did my own hair. I plan of wearing brobraz the rest of the summer and just seeing how I feel. If I like it, I may just keep it weaved up for the majority of the year until I decide differently.

:lachen: It's ok, I can't wait until I am completely natural too... I'm really looking forward to it :yay:

I have no area that's completely natural yet... don't start giving me ideas to BC a section :spinning: instead of everything :lol:

We are definitely hair twins cos my hair looks and acts like yours :yep:

Your hair looks fabulous!! I can't wait until you are completely natural so that I can see how creative you will be with your hairstyles! Is that too selfish...me wanting you to BC so I can benefit from seeing your natural hairstyles?:lachen:

In other news, I BC'd my nape area. It is six inches long and still long enough for my bun without being tight. I cracked up when I saw the shrinkage! From 6 inches to 3 inches in seconds...gotta love shrinkage. I will be 18 months in late Nov, so I will see where I am then and hopefully cut the rest.

WOW....we must be related for real. I did the same thing. Mine is 5 inches long. I'm keeping my eye on you and Mummy'sGirl because my hair is very similar.

I posted pics in my fotkihttp://public.fotki.com/mrsjohnson/my-transition/my-2nd-bc-nape-only/

MG your hair looks great!

Question: Are any of you ladies dusting or doing little trims as you go through your transition process? If so, what brand of shears are you using? What's the price range? If you have them, can someone post pics of the right type of shears to use. TIA for your help!

Thank you :)
MG your hair looks great!

Question: Are any of you ladies dusting or doing little trims as you go through your transition process? If so, what brand of shears are you using? What's the price range? If you have them, can someone post pics of the right type of shears to use. TIA for your help!

I use salon scissors from Boots (a drugstore here in the UK) for trimming/dusting. I plan to buy a slightly more expensive pair this week for my chop... not sure when or where yet.

Last edited:
Hey ladies! just an update...I'm almost 5 months post...(19 weeks) and I straightened today for a length check before I go into kinky twists on Friday:) I HAD to...I was getting the BC/Relaxer itch.

I was SO amazed to see the health of my hair...and some added length too! I co-washed with HE Hello Hydration, and used It's a 10 as a leave in, and Silk Elements as a heat protectant. The pics are below!

Also...I must say...my hair likes being treated like it's all natural now. I find my hair staying more moisturized when I do co-wash n go's with an oil, creamy leave in, and light gel. Are any of you experiencing this? I also attached a pic of my wng "puff" that i did this weekend:)

Attachments

• Photo on 2010-06-14 at 15.01.jpg
    Photo on 2010-06-14 at 15.01.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 24
  • Photo on 2010-06-14 at 15.02.jpg
    Photo on 2010-06-14 at 15.02.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 21
  • Photo on 2010-06-14 at 15.01 #2.jpg
    Photo on 2010-06-14 at 15.01 #2.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 23
  • Photo on 2010-06-12 at 23.04 #3.jpg
    Photo on 2010-06-12 at 23.04 #3.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 34
I originally intended on BCing...especially by this July (2 years), but I am a slow grower...so, I won't be cutting then. I am just frustrated with my hair at this point. I wanted the ability to wear my curls and straight hair, but it seems that each has its own down side...(curly styles = ssk straight styles = risk of heat damage or my recent experience of white dot breakage) I am still on the fence about what I will do. I only had a relaxer 5 years of my life...but this is the first time I did my own hair. I plan of wearing brobraz the rest of the summer and just seeing how I feel. If I like it, I may just keep it weaved up for the majority of the year until I decide differently.

What I have learned from this site, is that being relaxed or natural has its equal ups and downs; however, I'm confident that you will learn fast what your hair likes and dislikes as a natural. I think the sew-in is a good Idea, I was actually thinking about doing the same thing for the rest of the year (so I won't BC b-4 18 months). I'm not sure when your siggy pic was taken, but your natural hair is beautiful by the way.

Back