Nervous! New Stylist - Anthony Dickey

so1913

After a few recommendations, I finally decided to go with Anthony Dickey the author of Hair Rules for my haircut. It's been 9 months since the last one I had. I'm a little nervous of course because I don't know what to expect being that it is my first visit and I don't know anyone personally that has gone. My appointment is for this evening...so I'll report back tonight. Wish me luck! (I hope he doesn't chop all my hair off!)

good luck!!

I saw him on the Today show a while back and he really seemed to know what he was talking about in reference to highly texture hair. I'm sure you'll be just fine :D

so1913 said:
After a few recommendations, I finally decided to go with Anthony Dickey the author of Hair Rules for my haircut. It's been 9 months since the last one I had. I'm a little nervous of course because I don't know what to expect being that it is my first visit and I don't know anyone personally that has gone. My appointment is for this evening...so I'll report back tonight. Wish me luck! (I hope he doesn't chop all my hair off!)

Good luck! Can't wait to see pics ;)
Tell him he'd better not chop off all those beautiful curls-or he's going to have a lot of angry women to answer to! :cool:

I cant wait to see pics, soror!!!!!!!!!!!!! :grin: You better log on as SOON as you return home!!!! :lol:

Good luck Sunshine!!!! :D

Im excited for you. i loved the book Hair Rules that he wrote. He is well inofrmed. Im pretty sure you'll be happy with the otucome :yep:

Hope it goes well! I haven't put any scissors to my hair since I BC and I'm going to be scared out of my wits when I finally let someone put some near my hair! Can't wait to see pics!

Good luck. Can't wait to see the pics. Don't let him cut too much of that pretty hair, it's really come into it's own in the past few months and I've grown quite fond of my, I mean your hair:grin:.

Thanks ladies. Hope it goes well. I'm heading out in about 45 min....if you don't hear from me tonight....it means it ain't go so well, LOL!

ooohh, i was going to go to him last summer for my cut, i heard great things about him! I hope you love your cut and can't wait to hear your review..and see some pics:)

Ok ladies...

So here's the scoop...

My hair is shorter. I got about 1.5 to 2 inches chopped off...but you know what? WHO CARES! I LOVE my cut!!! (I think, lol)

The salon is very nice. I got there and Dickey still had to clients to finish up styling. Both short straight/tapered haircuts which turned out to be fly. While I was waiting, his assistant came over, introduced herself, shook my hand...she was very nice and polite. She asked me to put some contact info down on a sticky and told me Dickey would be with me shortly. Once he finished styling one of the women, the assistant came back over and put me in the chair. Dickey came over asked what I wanted done and when was the last time I cut my hair as a worked is fingers in it analyzing it. Like I've been saying, my ends weren't in the best shape. They were old, tangly, knots, and I saw some splits that along the hair shaft on some hairs. Anyway, I said "9 months" and he froze in shock, lol. He asked where I had it cut, and I told him Miss Jessie's, he says "Ok". He goes on to explain "you have to have it done more often than that" He proceeded to explain that my hair is growing, but at the same time my ends are breaking off, so it's taking longer to see length. He said my hair was very healthy, but the ends were snapping, which they do (I notice this during detangling). He asked how I was styling, straight or curly, of course I go curly ;) He told his assistant to apply this stuff http://www.lorabeauty.com/shopping2/pricelist.asp?prid=7623 Rene Fulkner Complex 5 to my scalp as he went ahead and finished up his other client. The assistant applied and started massaging into my scalp. I asked her what it was, she explained its like a scalp cleanser, stimmulates and removes build up, etc. It felt soooo good especially if you like that warming cooling effect. He then asks her to prep my hair for the cut by blowing it out. He spritz my hair with water to dampen and applied a lot of something called Ish Ionic Rescue Conditioner http://ishrescue.com/web/product.php#CONDITIONER and a little Mizani H20 hairdress cream and had her blow it out. After she blowed it out, she asked him something (I couldn't hear) and he came over and grabbed a section of my hair, pulled it outward and looked like he was taking a close look at my ends. He said "yes" to her and she grabbed the flat iron, so my guess is she asked if she should press it out slightly more to straighten out the ends a little more for the cut. She just took large sections of my hair and quickly ran the flat iron through to straighten out a little more. He finishes up the other women and starts to cut my hair. He pulls it out at various angles and "snip snip". I saw the hair falling, but I knew he was taking off what needed to go, plus re-shaping. I know at one point he asked me "So did you ever get a texturizer or silkener?" I told him "No" and he says "Oh, so you were one of the lucky ones". I told him that my manager used to get a Silkener and she experienced a lot of breakage. He asks "They haven't opened back up? The sister's had a falling out or something, right?" I said "Yes, that's what I've heard". He proceeds to say that back around the holidays he was getting a lot of Miss Jessie's customers. He said most of them had silkeners and damaged hair. He started turning away. Titi called him about turning away the customers and he told her that these people were coming to him with these Silkeners and damaged hair wanting him to continue the process. I guess he felt more comfortable not taking them at all. He then starts saying something about how what they are using is a relaxer and makes a comment like "They bring it out the back covered up in some magic african bowl" commenting how all it is is a relaxer and they disguise it as something magic, and that's not right. He said people think it's not a chemical. He makes a few more comments about the whole Silkener idea. of them ar He closely analyzes his work to make sure the cut is even on both sides by pulling out the same sections on both sides of my head towards the front, sides, etc. He proceeds to take me to shampoo. I don't know what he used at this point, but I know he applied a conditioner, rinsed, and applied another one, rinsed. The he fingerstyled with Miss Jessie's Curly Pudding and sat me under the dryer. After it was mostly dry, he took the blow dryer, had me flip my head over and started blowing it out some to finish drying, give it lift, and final finger styling. He says to me "Come back in three months for your next cut. Your next one will be a VERY small one just to maintain the health of your ends. You'll begin to start seeing the length as long as we can keep your ends from breaking off".

So that was it. By the time I got home, it was completely dry and I was able to play around with it some more fluff out some and I'm loving how it's falling. The shape is slightly different, layers a little more "blended" than Miko was keeping them which is cool. I'll REALLY know how I feel about the cut when I style it on my own. But right now, I'm cool with it and surprisingly, not feeling down about the loss of length. I'm actually excited to see what my puffs will look like now :) and if I can get more "funky" styling and volume now (it's hard to play with since the Curly Pudding weighs down my hair). But anyway, I can say a positive experience with Mr. Dickey.

Excuse the LONG post, but I wanted to try to give you gals as much details as I could. Also, excuse typo's, incorrect grammer, run on sentences, and anything that doesn't make sense, because I'm not going back through it to proof read, LOL. I didn't take before pics...whatever is in my album is the most recent. But I'll try to post some "after" pics by Saturday. Oh, the total cost was $187.

Last edited:
Hey, so1913! :wave:

Thank you for sharing your story. I know you'll rock your new cut just fine! I'm getting my hair trimmed in a week or so and it's been a minute so thanks for the confirmation that I need to stay up on my trims.

Interesting points from Mr. Dickey on the silkeners.... so they're just relaxers w/a different spin, huh.... Wow.... nothing new under the sun!

See ya!

Have you got pics? :lol: (obligatory LHCF question)

You are so lucky to be able to find people that can actually cut curly hair. I would dare go anywhere around here.

Pics are coming, but just to give you an idea, it's no shorter than the hair in my avi pic.

Glad to hear it went well. That's a hefty price tag to pay every 3 months though, isn't it? I guess if he does a good job it's worth it though...plus those products look really nice.

Can't wait to see pics. :)

I love Dickey. He did my big chop. Reading your post makes me want to call him up and schedule an appointment.

Thanks for the update!!!! :) Im so glad to hear that you are pleased! Kewl!!!!

Im really looking forward to the pics. When you left, was your hair still straightened out? Is it straight now, or have you washed and put your curly pudding back in?

so1913 said:
Ok ladies...

So here's the scoop...

My hair is shorter. I got about 1.5 to 2 inches chopped off...but you know what? WHO CARES! I LOVE my cut!!! (I think, lol)

The salon is very nice. I got there and Dickey still had to clients to finish up styling. Both short straight/tapered haircuts which turned out to be fly. While I was waiting, his assistant came over, introduced herself, shook my hand...she was very nice and polite. She asked me to put some contact info down on a sticky and told me Dickey would be with me shortly. Once he finished styling one of the women, the assistant came back over and put me in the chair. Dickey came over asked what I wanted done and when was the last time I cut my hair as a worked is fingers in it analyzing it. Like I've been saying, my ends weren't in the best shape. They were old, tangly, knots, and I saw some splits that along the hair shaft on some hairs. Anyway, I said "9 months" and he froze in shock, lol. He asked where I had it cut, and I told him Miss Jessie's, he says "Ok". He goes on to explain "you have to have it done more often than that" He proceeded to explain that my hair is growing, but at the same time my ends are breaking off, so it's taking longer to see length. He said my hair was very healthy, but the ends were snapping, which they do (I notice this during detangling). He asked how I was styling, straight or curly, of course I go curly ;) He told his assistant to apply this stuff http://www.lorabeauty.com/shopping2/pricelist.asp?prid=7623 Rene Fulkner Complex 5 to my scalp as he went ahead and finished up his other client. The assistant applied and started massaging into my scalp. I asked her what it was, she explained its like a scalp cleanser, stimmulates and removes build up, etc. It felt soooo good especially if you like that warming cooling effect. He then asks her to prep my hair for the cut by blowing it out. He spritz my hair with water to dampen and applied a lot of something called Ish Ionic Rescue Conditioner http://ishrescue.com/web/product.php#CONDITIONER and a little Mizani H20 hairdress cream and had her blow it out. After she blowed it out, she asked him something (I couldn't hear) and he came over and grabbed a section of my hair, pulled it outward and looked like he was taking a close look at my ends. He said "yes" to her and she grabbed the flat iron, so my guess is she asked if she should press it out slightly more to straighten out the ends a little more for the cut. She just took large sections of my hair and quickly ran the flat iron through to straighten out a little more. He finishes up the other women and starts to cut my hair. He pulls it out at various angles and "snip snip". I saw the hair falling, but I knew he was taking off what needed to go, plus re-shaping. I know at one point he asked me "So did you ever get a texturizer or silkener?" I told him "No" and he says "Oh, so you were one of the lucky ones". I told him that my manager used to get a Silkener and she experienced a lot of breakage. He asks "They haven't opened back up? The sister's had a falling out or something, right?" I said "Yes, that's what I've heard". He proceeds to say that back around the holidays he was getting a lot of Miss Jessie's customers. He said most of them had silkeners and damaged hair. He started turning away. Titi called him about turning away the customers and he told her that these people were coming to him with these Silkeners and damaged hair wanting him to continue the process. I guess he felt more comfortable not taking them at all. He then starts saying something about how what they are using is a relaxer and makes a comment like "They bring it out the back covered up in some magic african bowl" commenting how all it is is a relaxer and they disguise it as something magic, and that's not right. He said people think it's not a chemical. He makes a few more comments about the whole Silkener idea. of them ar He closely analyzes his work to make sure the cut is even on both sides by pulling out the same sections on both sides of my head towards the front, sides, etc. He proceeds to take me to shampoo. I don't know what he used at this point, but I know he applied a conditioner, rinsed, and applied another one, rinsed. The he fingerstyled with Miss Jessie's Curly Pudding and sat me under the dryer. After it was mostly dry, he took the blow dryer, had me flip my head over and started blowing it out some to finish drying, give it lift, and final finger styling. He says to me "Come back in three months for your next cut. Your next one will be a VERY small one just to maintain the health of your ends. You'll begin to start seeing the length as long as we can keep your ends from breaking off".

So that was it. By the time I got home, it was completely dry and I was able to play around with it some more fluff out some and I'm loving how it's falling. The shape is slightly different, layers a little more "blended" than Miko was keeping them which is cool. I'll REALLY know how I feel about the cut when I style it on my own. But right now, I'm cool with it and surprisingly, not feeling down about the loss of length. I'm actually excited to see what my puffs will look like now :) and if I can get more "funky" styling and volume now (it's hard to play with since the Curly Pudding weighs down my hair). But anyway, I can say a positive experience with Mr. Dickey.

Excuse the LONG post, but I wanted to try to give you gals as much details as I could. Also, excuse typo's, incorrect grammer, run on sentences, and anything that doesn't make sense, because I'm not going back through it to proof read, LOL. I didn't take before pics...whatever is in my album is the most recent. But I'll try to post some "after" pics by Saturday. Oh, the total cost was $187.

Oooooo
I wish I could go see him. Stories like this make me want to pack up and move. I am so happy that you enjoy you "trim" and I cannot wait to see the pix.

Thanks for the write up about this! I have been wanting to go to him for some time now, but have not been able to make it up to New York as of yet. It is very interesting to me that he mentioned about all of Miss Jessie's clients having damaged hair!! I wonder what is really going on with that, because I know that he texturizes hair as well, and I know someone who had a texturizer done by him. It seems as if maybe Miss Jessie's just puts silkeners and color on someone hair without considering the health of one's head. Whereas if someone came to Dickey and wanted those services and did not have healthy hair he would not do it. It is a VERY good sign when a stylist will turn away someone that wants a process that they know would not be good for their hair.

so1913 said:
Ok ladies...

So here's the scoop...

Rene is bad! (in a good way:) ) I was checking out her line on Sephora.com.

You can't go wrong with Mizani Headdress. Supergirl :waves: made me a believer! :yep:

I don't think he had to down Miss Jessie. You where laready in his
chair...:ohwell:...but aleast he uses her products! :look:

I am happy you found a good stylist,...he seems cool but gossipy.:)

...which is never really a bad thing when it comes to stylists!;) :lol:

Back