Need help with Afro Textured hair!

FarrahJane

Hi, I'm a new member and this is my first post. I found this site through a google search and I like it.
My adopted sister, she's 10 and has afro hair, She wants to start wearing her hair down like her friends at school. Her hair is a different texture than mine and our mom. Other than braiding her hair I'm not sure what to do with it.

I would appreciate any tips and ideas you ladies have as to how she can wear her hair down and keep it soft and tangle-free. Her hair look like this after its been shampooed. Thanks.
3291105918_139bc23749_o.jpg

What's her hair regimen like and what products do you usually use on her? You can do braidouts, twist outs, coil outs, shingling, wash n go's(though those cause knots for me), and etc. Also the children section of this forum has a pinned thread of children's hair styles that you can peruse through. Browsing around youtube may help as well.

Welcome to the forum. Her hair is gorgeous!

What's her hair regimen like and what products do you usually use on her? You can do braidouts, twist outs, coil outs, shingling, wash n go's(though those cause knots for me), and etc. Also the children section of this forum has a pinned thread of children's hair styles that you can peruse through. Browsing around youtube may help as well.

Welcome to the forum. Her hair is gorgeous!

Thanks!

Duh on me!...that information would have been helpful.

Okay, I shampoo and condition her hair with Aveda Smooth Infusion. I detangle her hair with meduim teeth comb. Then I apply Curly sexy hair Curling creme to each section of her hair. Then I either put her hair in two pony puff tails. Or do some basic French braids.
Thanks so much for the link!

Her hair is beautiful! Kusare gave you a link to a great thread for kids hairstyles...I used it often myself lol.

I have 2 daughters around her age, & they also like to wear their hair out and down. Since I am attempting to grow their hair longer, we protective style most weeks out of the month, meaning that I keep their hair in small braids or twists to limit the amount of manipulation to their hair strands. Your sis seems to have type 4 hair, which is more fragile than other hair types and tends to flourish when kept in protective styles.

If you're not as concerned with length, she can wear braid outs or twists outs daily. This basically means putting the hair in braids or twists (preferably when wet, IMO, to get better definition), and then gently removing the braid or twist when it's dry. This will give the hair an even more curly/textured appearance and can last for up to 4/5 days at a time.

Feel free to ask for more information if you need it. What a great sis you are!

Her hair is beautiful! Kusare gave you a link to a great thread for kids hairstyles...I used it often myself lol.

I have 2 daughters around her age, & they also like to wear their hair out and down. Since I am attempting to grow their hair longer, we protective style most weeks out of the month, meaning that I keep their hair in small braids or twists to limit the amount of manipulation to their hair strands. Your sis seems to have type 4 hair, which is more fragile than other hair types and tends to flourish when kept in protective styles.

If you're not as concerned with length, she can wear braid outs or twists outs daily. This basically means putting the hair in braids or twists (preferably when wet, IMO, to get better definition), and then gently removing the braid or twist when it's dry. This will give the hair an even more curly/textured appearance and can last for up to 4/5 days at a time.

Feel free to ask for more information if you need it. What a great sis you are!

Wow! Thank you Bride91501!
Such great information, I've never heard of protective styling; but what a good idea to keep the hair safe and out of the way. I'm a hair fanatic myself, so I love to take care of her hair. So far she hasn't mentioned wanting long hair, she just wants to wear it out like her friends.
I'm reading the link right now that Kusare provided for me. I am in awe of the beautiful curly styles and braiding on the little ones hair. :yep:

I really appreciate the feedback!

I like this blog for more childeren hairstyle inspirations. While your sister may not have the same hairtype as the girl in the blog you can adapt hairstyles to fit her and there are guest bloggers that have pictures of their daughters with more tightly coiled hair.

I feel that if she wants to wear her hair out then stretched hairstyles via bandings, twists, braids, and whatnot would be best for with out styles with natural hair in it's loose in its shrunken state just means endless detangling and knots when it's time to wash. You can still do styles like that but try to keep it at a minimum.

I like this blog for more childeren hairstyle inspirations. While your sister may not have the same hairtype as the girl in the blog you can adapt hairstyles to fit her and there are guest bloggers that have pictures of their daughters with more tightly coiled hair.

I feel that if she wants to wear her hair out then stretched hairstyles via bandings, twists, braids, and whatnot would be best for with out styles with natural hair in it's loose in its shrunken state just means endless detangling and knots when it's time to wash. You can still do styles like that but try to keep it at a minimum.

Very informative! Yeah I learned the hard way that we cannot comb her hair once it's dry. Thank you.
Is it okay to use pomade on the hair after it has dried? A friend of my mom's says afro hair needs a good pomade to keep it from becoming dried out.

I just knew from reading the title that it was a Newbie with non-Afro textured hair LOL

Hi, you've gotten a lot of great advice in this thread. I think it is great you are helping your sister with her hair. It sounds like you have a pretty good routine. Taliah Waajid has some excellent products for detangling that even work on my hair after it had dried. I just have to comb carefully. I wore alot of braids when younger. Here is a thread with a list of youtube channels. I think some of these are really helpful.
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/ha...on/512705-youtube-hair-channels-type-fos.html

Hi, you've gotten a lot of great advice in this thread. I think it is great you are helping your sister with her hair. It sounds like you have a pretty good routine. Taliah Waajid has some excellent products for detangling that even work on my hair after it had dried. I just have to comb carefully. I wore alot of braids when younger. Here is a thread with a list of youtube channels. I think some of these are really helpful.
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/ha...on/512705-youtube-hair-channels-type-fos.html

Thank you MsLala! I owe it to her to learn how to style and take care of her hair, otherwise our mother will have her at her salon...what a disaster:nono:

I've been reading, subscribing to all the various blogs and thread links I was given by you helpful ladies. I'm going to try some of the recommended products and do my best to keep her hair moisturized and stretched so she can wear her hair down. I'll post pictures once I figure out what I'm doing.

You are a very good sister! I suggest trying out the things suggested, try your best to stay away from heat especially direct heat like blow dryers and flat irons. But if she does want the straight look you could try roller setting and a hood dryer I know this works for some naturals. Btw her hair is so pretty!

You are a very good sister! I suggest trying out the things suggested, try your best to stay away from heat especially direct heat like blow dryers and flat irons. But if she does want the straight look you could try roller setting and a hood dryer I know this works for some naturals. Btw her hair is so pretty!

So far she has not mentioned wanting straight hair, just wanting to wear it out.. But if she does, I hope I will be prepared.
Thank you! You guys are very generous with your information...really apprecite it.

Back