Need help for skin after MTG attack.....

blackbarbie

I am hoping someone that has experienced the scales on their skin (and peeling) and burning from using MTG. I have been using MTG for 2 months now and I can say for sure that I have had great results. (straightened my hair out yesterday and I can say for sure it works). I have read some of the comments about how it gave people rashes, etc. but didn't pay attention b/c my beloved MTG was doing well by me. Just last week, the back of my neck started burning and itching really bad....I stopped using the MTG b/c I had planned to get a touch up in the next 2 weeks, which would make it a 16 week stretch for me. A few days later, I looked and saw a little scaling on the back of my neck and even though it has been over a week and I am not using it any more, it still just breaks out and starts to itch/burn sometime. Just today, I was in my car and looked in the mirror, and yes with all the daylight, I could see that not only does it look like i have a lot of dandruff on the left side of the back of my neck, I also have BURN marks!!! Now that I probably won't get another perm until January instead of December like I originally planned (have to share my revelation later about that), I want to use the MTG again, but I am no glutton for punishment.:nono: I have to admit that when I first started to use it, I was using it like a crack addict:grin: and it probably was running everywhere all down my neck, but i was getting good results and wasn't so concerned.....But I can't use it anymore until I get the back of my neck under control. I have used the hard core loofah as well as the kind in the glove form and it has not helped. I also have some pure aloe vera gel directly from the plant that I am going to try....Any more suggestions? The back of my neck is not pretty right now.....

I think hydrocortisone is the active ingredient in benadryl creme (looking for the tube to check) and it does soothe the itching, although temporarily. I will continue to use and also use the pure aloe gel as well.

Looks like you are doing the right thing with the aloe vera gel... That's what I used on my neck, and it worked. But, for me - I just stopped using MTG altogether. I trashed it and incorporated other "growth aids" into my regimen. The burning, itching, and scales was just too big a price for me to pay for hair.

If you want to keep using it, maybe you could "base" your neck with Vaseline (like you do before a relaxer) before applying the MTG. And base your neck before you wash your hair too, because the MTG runs down with the water.

Well, I've heard natural shea butter is good for clearing up and soothing skin irratations. Please do not go back to using this stuff after you clear up what you currently have. Hair isn't worth dealing with the irratation and alergic reaction.

Hey BlackBarbie, I have the same exact thing as you right now, the back of my neck is scaling and peeling, it's been like this for 2 weeks now. Yep, my MTG did it, i think just having conditioner running down my neck everyday made my skin a little tender, and the MTG just made it worse....

This is contact dermatitis, hydrocortisone cream is the best thing for it, for the itchies, if they are really really bad, you might want to take an antihistamine to stop the itching, because the more you itch, the worse it gets. (recommendations from a dermatologist)

HTH

NoNapNique said:
Looks like you are doing the right thing with the aloe vera gel... That's what I used on my neck, and it worked. But, for me - I just stopped using MTG altogether. I trashed it and incorporated other "growth aids" into my regimen. The burning, itching, and scales was just too big a price for me to pay for hair.

If you want to keep using it, maybe you could "base" your neck with Vaseline (like you do before a relaxer) before applying the MTG. And base your neck before you wash your hair too, because the MTG runs down with the water.

The more I am sitting here and thinking about it, the more I believe that I may just stop using it - even after it clears up because what you mentioned about basing my neck is a good idea, but it's just too much trouble. I just have to go other routes to continue my growth....You're right, the burning, itching, and scales aren't worth it. Besides, I have very small pin sized moles on my meck and I am so scared that I am going to scratch off b/c I am scratching so much!!

so1913 said:
Well, I've heard natural shea butter is good for clearing up and soothing skin irratations. Please do not go back to using this stuff after you clear up what you currently have. Hair isn't worth dealing with the irratation and alergic reaction.

I have to get down to The Underground and get some shea butter anyway (best thing for my dry skin in winter time) so I will try it as well. Point well taken - enough of the MTG. (it was fun while it lasted though and got some good growth)....Thanks!

metro_qt said:
Hey BlackBarbie, I have the same exact thing as you right now, the back of my neck is scaling and peeling, it's been like this for 2 weeks now. Yep, my MTG did it, i think just having conditioner running down my neck everyday made my skin a little tender, and the MTG just made it worse....

This is contact dermatitis, hydrocortisone cream is the best thing for it, for the itchies, if they are really really bad, you might want to take an antihistamine to stop the itching, because the more you itch, the worse it gets. (recommendations from a dermatologist)

HTH

O.K. didn't even think about the conditioner running down my neck b/c I have been cw'ing religiously like every other day for the past 2 or 3 weeks. This in addition to using the MTG EVERY night. So I guess this is why it all of a sudden got to me after 2 months of using it and no adverse reactions....Makes a lot of sense now. Using the MTG every night and cw'ing every other day, hence running the MTG right down my neck, is what did it.....I was trying to think back and couldn't think of anything that I had done differently becasue as I mentioned earlier, even though I may have overdosed on MTG when I first got it:grin: , I bunned my hair every night and wore a plastic cap so it wouldn't run on my pillow case........

Going to continue to use the hydrocortisone cream along with some aloe vera gel....Going to get some pure shea butter to make sure it doesn't discolor too.

Great revelation and the now the mystery has been solved!

blackbarbie said:
I am hoping someone that has experienced the scales on their skin (and peeling) and burning from using MTG. I have been using MTG for 2 months now and I can say for sure that I have had great results. (straightened my hair out yesterday and I can say for sure it works). I have read some of the comments about how it gave people rashes, etc. but didn't pay attention b/c my beloved MTG was doing well by me. Just last week, the back of my neck started burning and itching really bad....I stopped using the MTG b/c I had planned to get a touch up in the next 2 weeks, which would make it a 16 week stretch for me. A few days later, I looked and saw a little scaling on the back of my neck and even though it has been over a week and I am not using it any more, it still just breaks out and starts to itch/burn sometime. Just today, I was in my car and looked in the mirror, and yes with all the daylight, I could see that not only does it look like i have a lot of dandruff on the left side of the back of my neck, I also have BURN marks!!! Now that I probably won't get another perm until January instead of December like I originally planned (have to share my revelation later about that), I want to use the MTG again, but I am no glutton for punishment.:nono: I have to admit that when I first started to use it, I was using it like a crack addict:grin: and it probably was running everywhere all down my neck, but i was getting good results and wasn't so concerned.....But I can't use it anymore until I get the back of my neck under control. I have used the hard core loofah as well as the kind in the glove form and it has not helped. I also have some pure aloe vera gel directly from the plant that I am going to try....Any more suggestions? The back of my neck is not pretty right now.....

Hi Blackbarbie,

I don't use the MTG but for your skin you might want to try some olive oil. This will help to restore your skin in no time. It will help to get rid of the flaking and dryness.....we used this for my cousin's baby and her skin was very smooth in less than a week.

BAILEYSCREAM said:
Hi Blackbarbie,

I don't use the MTG but for your skin you might want to try some olive oil. This will help to restore your skin in no time. It will help to get rid of the flaking and dryness.....we used this for my cousin's baby and her skin was very smooth in less than a week.

I know I have responded to all the suggestions and said I was going to try (which I still will), but I am getting right now to get the olive oil. I also read about a challenge on the skin care forum about using olive oil on the face and people have had good results.......going to the bathroom cabinet now (yeah I keep a bottle in the kitchen to cook with and I also keep a bottle in the bathroom to use with my conditioners)

:) Thanks again!

i just brought some hydrcortisone cream yesterday, i started getting something that looks like exzema patches on my neck and i havent used the mtg in weeks..what a mess...that is what i get for trying everydayum thing...1st the surge had my scalp flakin like whoa..now the friggin mtg had my neck lookin like a gator...not cute...

asummertyme said:
i just brought some hydrcortisone cream yesterday, i started getting something that looks like exzema patches on my neck and i havent used the mtg in weeks..what a mess...that is what i get for trying everydayum thing...1st the surge had my scalp flakin like whoa..now the friggin mtg had my neck lookin like a gator...not cute...

Blackbarbie,

It would be good to know what your results are with the olive oil.

Asummertyme,

Although hydrocortisone cream is good, maybe you should try the olive oil and see what happens.....I used to use hydrocortisone creams some years back and as it's a steroid cream it will thin your skin over time. Just thought I'd mention it.

asummertyme said:

Did you all of a sudden start do a lot of washing? Metro_qt mentioned that it could have been the fact that I was washing and the MTG was running down my neck. (had used it for 2 months with no problems; my problems started when I started cw'ing and I guess "washing" the MTG down my back while in the shower).......

Hi Barbie...

I've been using Lubriderm and my back and shoulders are much better.

I hope you've found relief by now.

Yea, love MTG, but I can see why it, along with hay, is for horses only.

Blossssom said:
Hi Barbie...

I've been using Lubriderm and my back and shoulders are much better.

I hope you've found relief by now.

Yea, love MTG, but I can see why it, along with hay, is for horses only.

:lachen: :lachen: Yeah, I got really great results, but I think I will let the horses enjoy it more. I just recommended it to my friend and my sister but i did warn them about what happened to me so they won't call me cursing :swearing: me out, I will tell them that I at least warned them. But I told them they should be o.k. if they didn't let it get on their skin though.

NoNapNique said:

That seems like a good idea!

When I shampoo in the shower, I rinse the first shampoo off to the side of my head with my head still tilted back so that it runs into the shower stall intstead of onto my neck and back. Hope this helps. bonjour

I had the same problem and I quit MTG for two days. To relieve the itchiness I applied a cool face towel on my neck. To get rid of the dry patches I used any rich skin moisturizer I could find, like vaseline, black castor oil. I am back to using the MTG and now I try not to let it run down my neck. I haven't had any itchiness since.

blackbarbie said:
:lachen: :lachen: Yeah, I got really great results, but I think I will let the horses enjoy it more. I just recommended it to my friend and my sister but i did warn them about what happened to me so they won't call me cursing :swearing: me out, I will tell them that I at least warned them. But I told them they should be o.k. if they didn't let it get on their skin though.

OK. Now yall are freaking me out because I just ordered some. Were you using this straight or diluting it. I have a TWA and was going to use a spray bottle or Bottle with a spout to but on my scalp. Does it break the scalp out? Wassup?

Zeal said:
OK. Now yall are freaking me out because I just ordered some. Were you using this straight or diluting it. I have a TWA and was going to use a spray bottle or Bottle with a spout to but on my scalp. Does it break the scalp out? Wassup?

I used it for a full 2 months before I had any reaction to it and I have to tell you that I got some really good results, but I think the mistake I made was when I started doing cw'ing every day. With the frequent cw'ing every day and also applying the MTG every day, the MTG was running down my neck................

Even though I had read the comments about how MTG broke some people out, I didn't realize how important being careful when washing was. I read how some people tilt their head to the side to wash, making sure not to get any on their neck or down their back.....I think if you did that you would be o.k. And no, it didn't bother my scalp at all during the entire 2 months...

Ok, here is my MTG burnt neck confession.
MTG burnt the hell out of my neck and it was itchy scaly and burnt looking. I went to the dermatologist with the MTG bottle and said 'fix me'.

Long story short after he chided me about continued use of a product that irritated my skin he gave me a prescription for Cutivate Ointment .005%(fluticasone propionate). After applying twice a day for 2 days, (and no MTG) my neck was completely cleared up, no blackness no scales. I have since used MTG, but I keep a towel around my neck until my hair is dry (and that's a while since I airdry).

BTW - DO NOT LOOFAH your neck, you're going to make the irritation worse and might end up scarring your neck.

JCoily said:
Ok, here is my MTG burnt neck confession.
MTG burnt the hell out of my neck and it was itchy scaly and burnt looking. I went to the dermatologist with the MTG bottle and said 'fix me'.

Long story short after he chided me about continued use of a product that irritated my skin he gave me a prescription for Cutivate Ointment .005%(fluticasone propionate). After applying twice a day for 2 days, (and no MTG) my neck was completely cleared up, no blackness no scales. I have since used MTG, but I keep a towel around my neck until my hair is dry (and that's a while since I airdry).

BTW - DO NOT LOOFAH your neck, you're going to make the irritation worse and might end up scarring your neck.

Oh, NOW you tell me don't loofah my neck:lachen: :lachen: ....Seriously though, I realized that now, because doing that not only continues to irritate it, but I also have these pin sized moles on my neck as well and it irritates them to no end, and that's probably what continues to itch moreso that the rash!

LOLOL at you about: Ok, here is my MTG burnt neck confession.
MTG burnt the hell out of my neck and it was itchy scaly and burnt looking. I went to the dermatologist with the MTG bottle and said 'fix me'. :grin: :grin: :grin:

I am picturing you walking into the doctor's office with that big ole bottle and him asking you what the heck ya doing using horsey stuff on your head!!

I just can't believe people are still using this stuff AFTER having an allergic reaction ?????????

I had to stop. After a couple of months of using it off and on, the last stint being two months continually, I had the burning scales on my neck.....I immediately threw away the stuff and applied Neosporin for a couple of days. The increased hair growth was not worth me damaging my skin on my neck.....

yep, the mtg would run down my neck....i will try the olive oil along with the hydro-cream...i want to relieve the itching..but if the problem persists i will go to the derm..i dont wanna use that hydro cream for too long...

I started getting splotchy, scaly skin down the side of my face which I didn't attribute to MTG until I read a thread similar to this a few days ago. Now, I have always dampened my hair before I put MTG in so it doesn't roll down my face. The problem occurs after I have the shower cap on for a few hours and the body heat sends everything a-dripping. I followed someone's suggestion to use a sweatband (I just roll up a bandana with some plastic wrap inside) with the showercap and everything went well last night (slept in the stuff).

The scaly skin? Gone within a matter of days with a mixture of olive oil and neutrogena body lotion.

I LOVE this stuff! I haven't noticed any great hair growth since my hair is natural and I have such a bad case of snapback it's ridiculous, but the texture is great.

so1913 said:
I just can't believe people are still using this stuff AFTER having an allergic reaction ?????????

I can't believe it either...I would like to know Why?...Is having extra growth that important?

Ladies

I would recommend that you STOP using this product. It it for horses. If it is breaking out your neck, maybe it will eventually burn your scalp and cause hair loss :sad: . It'sjust not worth it when I've seen post about so many other products for hair growth. Please think seriously about continued use of this product --- I would seriously HATE to see somone post aobut losing their hair :eek: ! If a product is turning your neck black and causing severe flaking and burning, that is a sign to stop using it.

Back