• Maxiglide

Votes: 26 37.7%
  • Sedu

Votes: 11 15.9%
  • CHI

Votes: 14 20.3%
  • FHI

Votes: 18 26.1%
  • Other ( please post your favorite iron)

Votes: 5 7.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

LatterGlory

I guess I'll have flat iron my hair and do length checks once or twice per year.

I dread direct heat... any suggestions on how to do it myself without incurring any damage.

What type of iron is gentle but effective? What brand would you suggest? What heat protector is best? What is the lowest temperature that will staighten hair in one pass ?

I have a mixture of bonelaxed and texlaxed hair 3c/b fine hair.

I have never flat ironed my own hair so I need to :

1. Get a flat iron
2. Get some good advice from LHCF.

So will you help a fellow LHFCer out?

ETA: Post #51 has MAXiglide result pic and what I used.

Last edited:
Hi,
Try the maxiglide. It has a steam component which infuses moisture in the hair and it works well to straighten the hair. Your hair is beautiful by the way:-)

What type of iron is gentle but effective? Maxiglide

What heat protector is best? I don't use one. I don't think it's possible to protect the hair from that much heat.

What is the lowest temperature that will staighten hair in one pass? I set my current one (maxiglide) on 10 but something is wrong with it. I hoping to set my new maxiglide on about 8. One to two passes get it for me.

I do believe that even with using the Maxiglide you are damaging your hair, which is the reason I limit flat ironing to a couple of times a year. I think I used it maybe 5 times this year. After flat iron I go back to bunning and make sure I condition condition condition.

What type of iron is gentle but effective? Maxiglide

What heat protector is best? I don't use one. I don't think it's possible to protect the hair from that much heat.

What is the lowest temperature that will staighten hair in one pass? I set my current one (maxiglide) on 10 but something is wrong with it. I hoping to set my new maxiglide on about 8. One to two passes get it for me.

I do believe that even with using the Maxiglide you are damaging your hair, which is the reason I limit flat ironing to a couple of times a year. I think I used it maybe 5 times this year. After flat iron I go back to bunning and make sure I condition condition condition.

:thankyou: DLewis :flowers:

I voted FHI and Other (for H2Pro), and i use FHI Heat Hot Sauce and/or ORS Olive Oil Heat Protectant Serum. You can go on youtube for tons of flat-ironing tutorials. I have a review of the H2Pro and flat-ironing on my youtube page (see siggy for link). Good Luck!

I tried the maxiglide / miniglide for the first time yesterday. Got the package deal from HSN. I can tell you I DETEST the smell of burnt smoky hair. The Maxiglide gave ZERO smoke, zero burn smell. Seems like a healthy option honestly. I have learned from LHCF and Youtube that the KEY to not frying your hair with direct heat (flat iron, curling iron) is to use it on clean dry hair BEFORE applying ANY oil or other product. My new stylist told me this as well after I told her how much I hate burnt hair. You SHOULD apply heat protectant first after drying (they all have silicones which supposedly is the excellent heat protectant) but the heat protect with silicones doesn't count as 'oil'.

So only flat iron on clean dry hair that has heat protectant applied, and don't use any oil sheen or oil of any kind until after you are done flat ironing. Zero burn/fry.

Sorry if you already knew that.. but I just learned it and find it to be true. Very interesting.

Last night was the first time I used my maxiglide. I worked really well. I have the maxiglode mp. It seems a little heavy to me. My results were good. I just need to get my roots better. I am working on my technique. I love the miniglide. Thanks for the tip. I never knew that. Learn something new everyday.

OT: OMG! I am not alone! :lachen:

I don't use heat protectants either. I figure the heat is straightening my hair, why am I avoiding it? If I need less heat, I turn the temp down.

My 1st pic is my W&G (August '09), 2nd is rollerset with natural roots (Oct '09),3rd three days after ending my 1 year stretch by texlaxing ( Nov '09).

I can't see much of a difference so I guess I'll have flat iron my hair and do length checks once or twice per year.

I dread direct heat... any suggestions on how to do it myself without incurring any damage.

What type of iron is gentle but effective? What brand would you suggest? What heat protector is best? What is the lowest temperature that will staighten hair in one pass ?

I have a mixture of bonelaxed and texlaxed hair 3c/b fine hair.

I have never flat ironed my own hair so I need to :

1. Get a flat iron
2. Get some good advice from LHCF.

So will you help a fellow LHFCer out?

So you're texlaxed? Seems like the Maxiglide w/steam would be better for you.

Also perhaps if you try measuring in the same shirt. Perhaps ones with lines or something, you make notice more of a difference in length as well.

I don't use heat protectants either. I figure the heat is straightening my hair, why am I avoiding it? If I need less heat, I turn the temp down.

lol I don't use a heat protectant either!! I read somewhere that a heat protectant protects against heat above 370F and my flat iron is set at 340 so what's the point?

On topic, I love the Sedu never tried the Maxiglide.

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I tried a couple of them and it just weighed my hair down.:nono:

When I tell people that, they look at me like am crazy.:lachen: That's ok, I stand by what I said.

I do not iron my hair but, your hair looks nice to me!!

Thank you.

I voted FHI and Other (for H2Pro), and i use FHI Heat Hot Sauce and/or ORS Olive Oil Heat Protectant Serum. You can go on youtube for tons of flat-ironing tutorials. I have a review of the H2Pro and flat-ironing on my youtube page (see siggy for link). Good Luck!

Just finished looking at a youtube tutorial.:yep:

I tried the maxiglide / miniglide for the first time yesterday. Got the package deal from HSN. I can tell you I DETEST the smell of burnt smoky hair. The Maxiglide gave ZERO smoke, zero burn smell. Seems like a healthy option honestly. I have learned from LHCF and Youtube that the KEY to not frying your hair with direct heat (flat iron, curling iron) is to use it on clean dry hair BEFORE applying ANY oil or other product. My new stylist told me this as well after I told her how much I hate burnt hair. You SHOULD apply heat protectant first after drying (they all have silicones which supposedly is the excellent heat protectant) but the heat protect with silicones doesn't count as 'oil'.

So only flat iron on clean dry hair that has heat protectant applied, and don't use any oil sheen or oil of any kind until after you are done flat ironing. Zero burn/fry.

Sorry if you already knew that.. but I just learned it and find it to be true. Very interesting.

Your input was quite helpful.Thanks

Also perhaps if you try measuring in the same shirt. Perhaps ones with lines or something, you make notice more of a difference in length as well.

:lachen:Can't argue with the truth. Thanks!:lachen:

I voted Maxiglide of course (see siggy). I am 4a/b and I am texlaxed. I roller set first to stretch the hair then flat iron at no more than 4 in 1-2 passes. Lasts all week even with 4 sweaty work outs. Though I'm in the roller set challenge and the GYHOYH challenge so no mor MG for the next four-five months! *waahwaahwaah*

I use a maxiglide and the FHI runway. I also DC all the time. I also swear by John Frieda Serum in the orange bottle. It coats the hair really well. I never had problems with breakage while I was using that. The only reason I cut my hair was to cut all this "Beyonce blonde" hair color I had been maintaining for three years. Even with that, I still had MBL/BSL hair (use to cut it a lot) while using the John Frieda & the FHI.

You hair is lovely!

If I had that much texture left in my hair, I would go with the Maxiglide.

Thanks luv.

Whimsy uses the Maxiglide with coconut oil as a protectant and her set comes out gorgeous. She has a YT video of it I believe.

Maxiglide Technique
Maxiglide Hair

Seeing this visual really helped.Thank You.

Using argan oil before flat ironing also makes your hair shine and feel light, not weighed down.

You have no idea how happy I am to hear you say that. I am not a fan of coconut oil and just ordered Argan oil from Camden Grey a couple days ago. I love big hair that moves, so light and shiney is right up my isle. Thanks!

I voted Maxiglide of course (see siggy). I am 4a/b and I am texlaxed. I roller set first to stretch the hair then flat iron at no more than 4 in 1-2 passes. Lasts all week even with 4 sweaty work outs. Though I'm in the roller set challenge and the GYHOYH challenge so no mor MG for the next four-five months! *waahwaahwaah*

Okay see I was thinking rollerset and air dry then one pass on a low setting. I'm so glad to hear that 4 worked for you.Thanks.

Maxiglide it is!

Thank you ladies you were a great help!

God's willing there will be some maxiglide result pictures in a few weeks.:yep:

I totally agree with all those that recommended the maxiglide, I couldnt be more in love with it, the steam feature is awesome:yep:

If you want to be better safe then sorry and still use a heat protectant but want it to be weightless I highly recommend IC Fantasia Pink Bottle *SPRAY* it looks like this:
fantasia-high-potency-ic-hair-polisher-heat-protector-straightening_91290_175.jpg

Mrs BHF I'm telling you I've had it for a minute and its AWESOME, your hair will come out soooo silky and shiney and blow in the wind!:lick: it literally doesnt matter how much you spray your hair will maintain body flow and swang.

I call it my dominican blowout in a bottle:love2:

Last edited:
I totally agree with all those that recommended the maxiglide, I couldnt be more in love with it, the steam feature is awesome:yep:

If you want to be better safe then sorry and still use a heat protectant but want it to be weightless I highly recommend IC Fantasia Pink Bottle *SPRAY* it looks like this:
fantasia-high-potency-ic-hair-polisher-heat-protector-straightening_91290_175.jpg

Mrs BHF I'm telling you I've had it for a minute and its AWESOME, your hair will come out soooo silky and shiney and blow in the wind!:lick: it literally doesnt matter how much you spray your hair will maintain body flow and swang.

I call it my dominican blowout in a bottle:love2:

Lol BMP you'll make an awesome door to door salesman. What is the difference between the serum and the spray for you?

:perplexed side effect of being a realtor in manhattan for so many years my sales side comes out without me even realizing it!:lachen: sowwy yall! but when I love something I gotta put it on my favorite things like my girl oprah!:rofl:

I find the serum is good for blowdrying whereas the spray is good for the flat-ironing step, I find the serum to be too heavy for the flat-ironing step if you're going for a weightless blow in the wind effect:yep:

If you have super dense hair that you might want to be weighed down a bit I would do the serum for both steps.

I usually do serum to blowdry, then spray when I maxiglide my hair. I always generously spray to be sure I got to all my hair with the protectant and it never changes the outcome...weightless bling.

I really dont mean to sell ppl on things like this:look:..........I can't help myself when something worked for me I get really excited and want other ppl to know:love2:

Last edited:
Looks like everyone gave you some good advice already. Just dropping in to say you have gorgeous hair :)

Back