Need a Winter Coconut Oil Replacement...

poookie

Hey all!

It's getting chilly out... and i found out the hard way that Coconut oil is NOT the best sealant to use in cold weather!

What oils are you guys using for shine during the winter months?

I'm looking for something light, and possibly with a pleasant smell :yep:

the best oil to replace coconut oil is hairveda's cocasta oil. it is amazing and really does make your hair soft as a oisturizer all on its own. but i always use it to seal.

how about olive oil?
wow, why didn't i think of olive oil? thanks for the suggestion; i used it all the time at the beginning of my hair journey, maybe i'll revisit!

Try avocado oil!
great suggestion. avocados are already great for hair, so i'll look into this.

Maybe a good hair butter- shea, jojoba, olive, pistachio, mowrah, coffee. Take your pick.

I am so loving butters right now.
all those sound good.. especially the pistachio and coffee! :lick:
i'm concerned that butters may be a bit too thick for me. i'm relaxed, with fine strands, so too much might make my hair heavy.

but... then again... i'd love to try some when i do twist outs / flexi sets! hmm:scratchch

Jojoba or Macadamia Nut Oil
another great idea! i hear this oil's very light, so i'll absolutely look into this one.

Hey all!

It's getting chilly out... and i found out the hard way that Coconut oil is NOT the best sealant to use in cold weather!

Girl, I thought I was the only who couldn't stand CO. I bought a big jar of it a couple months ago. Now, I learned from before that it did nothing for me or my dd's hair, but I was hoping it could work well on my skin; since I wanted a nice body oil....NOPE!! A few hours later, my skin is dry as heck.

But, you could get good results with Vatika Frosting. My scalp was so dry and itchy today, and my scalp was soo thirsty. I put some VF on there, and it's been quenched all day! My scalp is still a bit itchy (it needs washing), but atleast it isn't dry as a bone! :nono:

I mix coconut oil with other oils and conditioner I rarely use it by itself. I have 4lbs of the stuff hmm not on purpose just happend that way I have to come up with plenty of ways to use this stuff.

Girl, I thought I was the only who couldn't stand CO. ...

But, you could get good results with Vatika Frosting.=

actually, coconut oil is my absolute favorite oil ever!!! i use it mostly for shine, when i wear my hair straight. i'll admit it doesn't do much when i wear my hair in a twist-out, or do a flexi-rod set. i have castor oil for those purposes; it does seem to make my hair a bit thicker.

but hmm... never heard of vatika frosting... i know vatika oil is derived from coconut oil... but what's the frosting?

i mix the coconut oil with other oils and it doesn't harden. may i ask what happened?

i would mix it, but the only other oil i have on me now is castor, and i'd like a light oil to dab on for shine purposes.

actually, what happened today was sort of funny...

before stepping out of the door this a.m. (i wore my hair straight today), i put a good amount of coconut oil throughout my hair. no more than about 3 teaspoons, but enough to really make it bling!! (wait, no one says bling anymore... sub. bling for shine! :grin:)

well as soon as i got outside, in 45 degree weather, i was reminded of how coconut oil solidifies at temps. below 68 degrees. instead of being light and feathery like my hair usually is straight, it was stiff as a board, and the oil that solified turned white! :lachen: i was a mess. i had to run back in and do a last-minute low bun.

learned my lesson, though! :lachen:

Last edited:
actually, coconut oil is my absolute favorite oil ever!!! i use it mostly for shine, when i wear my hair straight. i'll admit it doesn't do much when i wear my hair in a twist-out, or do a flexi-rod set. i have castor oil for those purposes; it does seem to make my hair a bit thicker.

but hmm... never heard of vatika frosting... i know vatika oil is derived from coconut oil... but what's the frosting?

i would mix it, but the only other oil i have on me now is castor, and i'd like a light oil to dab on for shine purposes.

before stepping out of the door this a.m. (i wore my hair straight today), i put a good amount of coconut oil throughout my hair. no more than about 3 tablespoons, but enough to really make it bling!! (wait, no one says bling anymore... sub. bling for shine! :grin:)

well as soon as i got outside, in 45 degree weather, i was reminded of how coconut oil solidifies at temps. below 68 degrees. instead of being light and feathery like my hair usually is straight, it was stiff as a board, and the oil that solified turned white! :lachen: i was a mess. i had to run back in and do a last-minute low bun.

oh no. i'm sorry but i had to laugh. you just taught me a lession thanks. i still use the coconut oil on my skin though. i mix my coconut oil for my hair with olive oil, castor oil, jojoba oil, wheat germ oil and sunflower oil. You don't have olive oil?

Oh, you use it for shine? Oh, ok, I thought people used it for moisture. I guess everyone has their use for it.

Here's info on VF, there's also a lot of praise and talk about it on here:

http://hairveda.com/oils.aspx

Hey all!

Why isn't coconut oil good for the winter? I was just getting ready to purchase some tomorrow:ohwell:

Why isn't coconut oil good for the winter? I was just getting ready to purchase some tomorrow:ohwell:

I use it in the winter sometimes too. You know how coconut oil solidifies when the environment gets too cool, well, you walk outside with coconut oil in your hair and it does the same thing. I used to actually like that aspect of it, but I may be the odd man out. :look:

before stepping out of the door this a.m. (i wore my hair straight today), i put a good amount of coconut oil throughout my hair. no more than about 3 teaspoons, but enough to really make it bling!! (wait, no one says bling anymore... sub. bling for shine! :grin:)

It does liquefy again once you get inside. My hair used to do that too and I would let it acclimate to room temp whenever I got where I was going and my hair was beautiful again. Didn't ruin the style or anything.

jojoba, olive, castor oil are great sealing oils but they are not penetrative like Coconut oil.

Avocado is a great replacement. It is a penetrative oil also.

Hey all!

Keep your coconut oil since you like, but whip it up with some sheabutter, glycerine and aloe for the wintertime.

Or, order MyHoneyChild's Sophia's Hair Grease, use as is or add your favourite oils/butters to it. I love her products As Is, but I also mix them with other things to suit my hairs changing needs with the season.

Ah, this explains the way my hair's been in the past few cold days. ...Seems so obvious to me now. Especially since my oil still solidifies in my room even when mixed with the castor... Guess I have to find another oil to cut my castor oil with till spring :ohwell:

Macadamia Nut oil....I don't seal often, but when I do, MNO gives me a light sheen w/o weighing down my tresses....Wheatgerm oil is a close second.

I still use my cocnut oil in my shealoe mix, my hair hardens a bit when I'm outside, but immediately softens when I'm indoors.

I get all of my oils fromnaturewithlove.com.

Hope that helps!

uh oh...right after it became my favorite, huh?

i have jojoba oil (and forgot), but i like the way coconut oil penetrates. guess i gotta find some avocado oil. thanks for this thread.

Keep your coconut oil since you like, but whip it up with some sheabutter, glycerine and aloe for the wintertime.

Or, order MyHoneyChild's Sophia's Hair Grease, use as is or add your favourite oils/butters to it. I love her products As Is, but I also mix them with other things to suit my hairs changing needs with the season.

I have some sheaaloe going unused and unloved, could I mix that with the CO for the winter? I am not trying to buy another hair products - I'm a recovering pj. :)

Back