Naturals: Who straightens your hair?

MissJ

Since I've been completely natural, I straightened my hair once by myself. It was really poofy, though.

I straighten my own hair. I use Chi Infusion as a heat protectant, a flat-iron, and I put a little B&B hair grease on the ends at night and wrap it up in a silk scarf. It lasts about 2 weeks with me only having to retouch once.

I straighten my own hair
the example of the out come is the first two pictures in my siggy.

I only straighten my hair once a month to track my growth progress

I have not figured out a way to conqueror frizzy ends so that's another reason I don't straighten my hair often

i do it myself. the stylist who did it last year is great though... LHCF friendly. :yep: i just can't afford her right now... :look:

My first as a natural is in my siggy. But usually I get it done at the salon if I am going to have my hair out for a while but this time I used a hot comb but didnt really do a good job of it as I was scared of burning my hair......I need to buy a proper straightner.

I straighten my own hair using my maxiglide. My hair usually lasts about two weeks straight, I don't touch up in between. I did have my hair straighted once at a salon last year when I got my highlights.

I do it myself. It took me awhile to find a method and products that work. My Sedu and Goody flat ironing comb have made all the difference. It takes me about 90 minutes.

I've straightened my hair myself twice. The first time I straightened as I did my chop on NYE. The second time was this past Sunday for a wedding (I was a bridesmaid)...it came out really well.

I let it airdry overnight in 5 braids. In the morning I used my Babyliss TT Tourmaline Hot Air Brush to get it completely dry...Chi Silk Infusion on each section for heat protection. I used DAX Marcel Curling Wax on each section as I flatironed and curled with my 1/2 inch Solia.

It was windy outside, I also danced and sweated (dripping sweat:perplexed) and my hair still looked good at the end of the night.

Last edited:
Since I've been completely natural, I straightened my hair once by myself. It was really poofy, though.

I'm actually getting ready to press my hair tonight. My hair usually comes out nice and straight and will last from 1-2 weeks.

My stylist has been coming to my home and straightening me out every other week. I plan to start doing it myself in the next 3 weeks. She uses 100% Aveda products and it comes out really nice. I have been VERY bad at posting pictures.

I have been straightening my hair for 9 years now. I use my Kizure hot comb most of the time. Sometimes I'll use my flat iron. And now I will be using Curlformers and my Pibbs 514 to straighten/curl my hair.

I straighten my own hair. I do a rollerset then I use MY HUSBAND (Maxiglide XP) :love: and Tress Tranzitions Blow Dry Creme as a heat protectant. I put a little Smooth n' Shine Extra Srtength polish on my hair (quarter amount) when I'm done and wrap my hair. Then I put on a silk scarf and call it a night. It lasts about a good week or two but I wash my hair weekly unless im Lazy. It hardly puffs up or frizzes.

My experience with my husband :love: is in my siggy. I was scared at 1st but now i know how he works :wink2: :yep:so next time, It would come out better. I only flat iron my hair every 3 months to check my growth. Remember to be gentle and treat your hair like a fine peice of silk! HTH.

Last edited:
Due to some major heat damage from hard presses last year, I had to get a MAJOR cut. As a result, I plan on straightening my hair myself when it gets some length to it.

I have been straightening my hair for 9 years now. I use my Kizure hot comb most of the time. Sometimes I'll use my flat iron. And now I will be using Curlformers and my Pibbs 514 to straighten/curl my hair.
...And it looks really great too. :yep: I've seen her pictures.

I only straightened my hair now. I trust very few people with my hair (currently my sister and my cousin). I moved about 900 miles away so I had to learn how to do it myself. I've been trying since 2006 and I just found a good method in January 2008. I band my damp hair after applying Motions Leave In Conditioner and make 8 ponytails and airdry overnight. The next day I unband each ponytail one at a time, apply Murray's Creme Beeswax and flat iron with the Maxglide on 8. The key for me was finding a good product. Oils worked for me for flat ironing, but it made my hair very thin and of course oily.

Thanks, ladies. I see that most of you straighten your own hair, using a wide variety of methods. I'm sure all of the methods take a long time, though. :lol:

I need to try I have no idea where to begin...I HAD a stylist who straightend my hair for me but then I heard "Oh no and a giggle" and a major scissor cut.. I saw my hair go from touching my shoulder to neck length...needless to say she never touched my hair again.

I need to try I have no idea where to begin...I HAD a stylist who straightend my hair for me but then I heard "Oh no and a giggle" and a major scissor cut.. I saw my hair go from touching my shoulder to neck length...needless to say she never touched my hair again.

Girl...I would've had my lil security stick for her butt.:bat::boxing::lol:

I tried to flat iron my hair...it wasn't good!

Not only were my arms tired, but I was left with a head full of puffy hair.

After a while, I got fed up:nono:

I'd rather go to a hair salon:wallbash::wallbash:

Back