Naturals: Who straightens your hair?

FeelinIt, wow, your hair got really straight like that!

I'm on the verge of being like LadyKaypnyc, going to a salon, if I can find a good one. :lol:

Wow a lot of you ladies have great results. I'm curious about the technique...i.e. how slowly to pull the iron through the hair, how many times, and how high should the setting be.

I'd be scared to do this myself. I'm scared of pressing/ironing in general. I've only had blow outs and the few times the person also used a press for extra oomph there were some temporarily (thankfully) straight pieces in the front.

I've straightened my hair myself twice. The first time I straightened as I did my chop on NYE. The second time was this past Sunday for a wedding (I was a bridesmaid)...it came out really well.

I let it airdry overnight in 5 braids. In the morning I used my Babyliss TT Tourmaline Hot Air Brush to get it completely dry...Chi Silk Infusion on each section for heat protection. I used DAX Marcel Curling Wax on each section as I flatironed and curled with my 1/2 inch Solia.

It was windy outside, I also danced and sweated (dripping sweat:perplexed) and my hair still looked good at the end of the night.

I definitely have to add this to my process...I get my hair straight with the CHI flat iron, but it only lasts a couple of days, a week the most...I have been trying to figure out a way to extend it...I am so glad I came across this thread..

i've blown-out my hair once and i did that myself. if were to take the next step and flat-iron, i would do it myself. they don't sell chi, maxiglide et al here so i have to look for a good iron. anyway, i don't trust people to do my hair unless they are braiding. even then i worry about them messing up my edges or putting them in too tight since i've had hair just totally break off (i would literally get bald spots) from that before (as a relaxed head).

i think once you research a good flat-iron technique, test a small patch of your hair (to make sure it gets silky straight and then reverts) and then have the patience to do it, you don't really need anyone else. but if you can find a good stylist, then it would be a great option to have.

Wow a lot of you ladies have great results. I'm curious about the technique...i.e. how slowly to pull the iron through the hair, how many times, and how high should the setting be.

I'd be scared to do this myself. I'm scared of pressing/ironing in general. I've only had blow outs and the few times the person also used a press for extra oomph there were some temporarily (thankfully) straight pieces in the front.

I use my comb if I want my roots to be really straight. My maxiglide is faster though. I always test my comb on tissue paper first to make sure it is not too hot then I pull the comb through as fast as it will go through my hair. How many times? Depends on my hair and how straight I want it to be. I use a regular hot comb with the slits in the back of the comb so it's like double pressing in one press. I put it on a hot plate I bought at walgreens. Totally old school. Too broke to buy a proper stove.

I have a stylist friend who does it for me. If you do go to a stylist make sure she has several clients who get presses because they will more than likely know what they're doing.

After blow drying my hair straight, she uses Nioxin heat protectant on each section she flat irons. She uses a smaller flat iron at the roots then switches to a larger flat iron towards the end of the hair. Once done with my whole head she will bump my ends with the large flat iron.

One caveat, avoid the thick pomades you would normally use on your hair because they will weigh it down. It's a lot of heat :nono:...but I only get it straightened 1-2x/year.

STRONGLY recommend naturals do a ROLLERSET first, if you want your hair straighter, go back with the flatiron and touch up the roots.

I pressed my hair for years, until I went to a stylist for "curly afro look" and the rollerset straighten my hair like it was pressed. My current stylist will touch the roots with the back of the marcel curlers but other than that the set lasts for weeks. I pull back into ponytail at night. Some natural that get the rollerset at the salon, wrap and then use the saran wrap method to get that swinging straight look.

I'm under my Pibbs now doing a rollerset for night on the town with hubby of 31 years! Yes, we did get married as babies.....seriously!

I totally agree with Ebonybee, roller set first is the way to go. That is the one thing I have learned on the boards here!

I straighten my own hair. It took me while to get it right, kinda like making pancakes, the first ones aren't very good but you just keep on making them and eventually they get better and better. :)

I find using the "comb chase" technique keeps my ends looking good. When you grab your small hunk of hair with the flat iron, use your other hand to run a comb a few inches in front of the iron, it keeps the strands from getting twisted & knotted up while your using the heat.

I have tried the comb chase method and it's fine when hair is shorter but gets pretty hard when the hair gets longer. How do you all do it? Bring the hair in front and do it?

The last time I had it pressed a month and a half ago I went to a hairdresser but I would like to stop depending on them. When I do it, it comes out very big so I will research and see what items and techniques that I need to do it properly.

I have tried the comb chase method and it's fine when hair is shorter but gets pretty hard when the hair gets longer. How do you all do it? Bring the hair in front and do it?

I use the "comb chase method" with my Denman D3. It turns out beautifully. I second the roller set method as well.

Me.The days of paying $40 dollars for a puffy,reverts as soon as I step out of the salon days are over.Even when I paid $15 for presses at my old salon,my hair always shed and and it had no swing to to it,just a greasy mess.:ohwell:

Since I've discovered roller setting and the CHI I feel better equipped to handle my hair than most stylist.I can get salon results at home now.My flat iron pic from last night is in my avi.

Do you guys blowdry the hair after setting it? I don't think I have the patience to rollerset, blowdry then flatiron.
I'll try the rollerset then flatiron (chase with comb) way next time...

i straighten my own hair
but i havent worn my straight hair out yet

i did finally have a successful flat iron last night
but i washed it because i used too much product

i think i'll leave heat alone for a little bit
and try again in a few months

now that i've found a product that gives me the results i want

Do you guys blowdry the hair after setting it? I don't think I have the patience to rollerset, blowdry then flatiron.
I'll try the rollerset then flatiron (chase with comb) way next time...

No, no blow drying. You're right though, it does take time, 3 or 4 hours. But I if wear my hair curly, there's the time getting it wet, styling, diffusing. It works out the same amount of time per week for me.

No Blowdrying. I wash, apply Giovanni Direct as a setting lotion....the fewer products the better. Under the dryer for an hour. Remove rollers and touch up roots where required with flatiron. I never touch the ends with the flatiron. Sitting under the dryer is the hardest part, but I put my foot up, get my laptop, and talk to you guys on the board. Total time about 1:45 minutes

i think once you research a good flat-iron technique, test a small patch of your hair (to make sure it gets silky straight and then reverts) and then have the patience to do it, you don't really need anyone else.

What a great idea. I never thought to do a patch test but that makes so much sense. Thanks! :)

I straighten my own hair. I use Chi Infusion as a heat protectant, a flat-iron, and I put a little B&B hair grease on the ends at night and wrap it up in a silk scarf. It lasts about 2 weeks with me only having to retouch once.

You and your daughter have such gorgeous hair!

I am transitioning back to natural, but when i straighten my hair, i use my favorite flat iron EVER....the MAXIGLIDE! I use a small dab of Hot Six Oil and i section and flat iron. It frizzes up a little the next day, but after a second flat ironing, i am able to wrap and control it better. But it NEVER stays straight after the first day lol....maybe its just me, but the humidity here in FLorida is killer!

Back