Naturals Who Rollerset...

Before rolling each section of my hair one at a time, I saturate each section with Infusium 23 Original Leave-in Treatment. It does a great job detangling and making my hair strong to prevent breakage.

I make sure my hair is wet, wet and I put in a little bit of Elucence conditioner, (very little) and Lacio Lacio. That's it. My rollersets always come out nice and my hair is always bouncy. May not always be as straight as I want, but it will do.

Here are some pics to give you an idea:

Rollerset:

Rollers out:

Wrap:

Comb out (No flatiron):

I make sure my hair is wet, wet and I put in a little bit of Elucence conditioner, (very little) and Lacio Lacio. That's it. My rollersets always come out nice and my hair is always bouncy. May not always be as straight as I want, but it will do.

Rollerset:

Rollers out:

Wrap:

Comb out (No flatiron):

I'm so jealous! I was going to try rollers today but doubted I could rollerset so didnt buy any.

I'm so jealous! I was going to try rollers today but doubted I could rollerset so didnt buy any.

Girl, it took me forever to do it, but I tried it over, and over and finally, I can do a decent one.

Give it a try. You have all these ladies on LHCF who have great outlines on how to do rollersets that will help you on your way. Don't give up...you may be surprised!

HTH

I use Lottabody setting lotion. It works well and gets my hair pretty smooth. I also use rollers with covers, that definitely helps.

Good question Bmore, I so want to try a rollerset. Right now I'm on the wig challenge but I plan on doing a rollerset in December. I plan on using Lacio Lacio for my set.

chiming in. I second the lottabody (diluted) and soaking wet hair........worked great for me! I also used end papers to wrap my ends in when i rolled it and they came out as a smooth as a.....errrrrrr..........perm wet set :lachen:

i used my denman brush to brush the setting lotion through each section before rolling - concentrating on the ends.

i airdried.

my roots were a little wavy but i really wasn't aiming for perfection, i just wanted to see if i could work a rollerset on natural hair.

i rocked this for about 4-5 days before i missed my e'eryday hair (and the southern heat & humidity ripped me a new one :grin:). i used pincurls to hold the style and i could prolly have use the fabric covered foam ones to make it last longer.

will def. revisit once the fall weather really sets in.

I have done several rollersets. I do it on wet hair using Aveda elixir, aveda styling foam, and a little oil. I use rod rollers and pull it taught. Sometimes I sit under the dryer but it doesn't seem to make a difference. It usually last a day or two but turns into a blownout looking fro.

chiming in. I second the lottabody (diluted) and soaking wet hair........worked great for me! I also used end papers to wrap my ends in when i rolled it and they came out as a smooth as a.....errrrrrr..........perm wet set :lachen:

i used my denman brush to brush the setting lotion through each section before rolling - concentrating on the ends.

i airdried.

my roots were a little wavy but i really wasn't aiming for perfection, i just wanted to see if i could work a rollerset on natural hair.

i rocked this for about 4-5 days before i missed my e'eryday hair (and the southern heat & humidity ripped me a new one :grin:). i used pincurls to hold the style and i could prolly have use the fabric covered foam ones to make it last longer.

will def. revisit once the fall weather really sets in.
Ditto to the bolded. I use a fine tooth comb on section before rolling. Sometimes it's nice to add a bit of castor oil on the ends after spritzing with Lottabody - keeps them silky.

Does hair texture make a difference when rolling natural hair? I am transitioning, and probably will try to avoid roller sets until 100% natural.

I was wondering also... My hair is really thick... so I'm not sure what would happen... I'm still trying to figure out how to get this stuff into one pony tail.:lachen: I can't imagine my hair accepting a bunch of rollers and behaving nicely!!!

Any brave ladies with thick hair willing to try it?...:grin:

Here is the bottom line:

Can nappy heads (like me!!) really rollerset??? And it will look good??

My personal view is folks will never find out unless they try it for themselves.

the very, and i do mean the VERY worst that can happen is you'll come out with a really pretty curly fro, right?

heck, if no one wants to go through the drama of doing an entire head of hair, why not experiment with just the front (bang area) and see what happens and, before completely giving up on it, try doing them with different products or combos of products or different sizes or types of rollers - the results may be surprisingly different (in the good way).

Last edited:
Here is the bottom line:

I have one of the nappiest hair textures here, and my rollerset does not last at all. I don't do them often. The main reason I do a rollerset is to stretch out my hair to do a style, or to make a big afro or afro puff. I set my hair on jumbo rollers to do this. My rollersets on natural hair will never look like a rollerset done on relaxed hair. I can't even do a rollerwrap after taking out the rollers, that's how dense and tighly colied my hair is. Once I sleep on it or comb it out, the rollerset is gone.

I have one of the nappiest hair textures here, and my rollerset does not last at all. I don't do them often. The main reason I do a rollerset is to stretch out my hair to do a style, or to make a big afro or afro puff. I set my hair on jumbo rollers to do this. My rollersets on natural hair will never look like a rollerset done on relaxed hair. I can't even do a rollerwrap after taking out the rollers, that's how dense and tighly colied my hair is. Once I sleep on it or comb it out, the rollerset is gone.

Same with my hair... Hair texture and thickness does matter. The nappier your hair is the less likely it will look sleek and silky.

If you go to my album when I was natural I used to use lottabody creme wrap, and a boar bristle brush. Along with a rattail comb, I did these to do roller sets.

Here is the bottom line:

I tried it once before but my hair didn't get straight at the very root and the very ends. The middle that was taut to the roller did. But it looked nothing like the person who just posted a thread with that pretty rollerset.

Maybe it's because my hair is coarse also but I just always end up w/a puffy fro look that I could have gotten w/o getting under the dryer. I have roller set my twists and my dry hair w/success though.

I use Paul Mitchell's sculpting lotion diluted with water and End All. I've only done the flexi-rods though. I will try the regular roller sets by the end of the month...takes patience.

Rollerset:

Rollers out:

Wrap:

Comb out (No flatiron):

I love your hair...what type of rollers do you use? What do you secure the rollers with? And do you take it out and immediately wrap it around? Or what? I'm just trying this roller thing out and I did it the first time and I could not get it straight enough at the roots...I was tempted to run a flat iron through it...but I was strong, I'm going to try again today.

Back