Naturals who flat iron how long do you keep it that way?

glamazon386

My hair hasn't been washed in 6 days. I got it flat ironed last monday and its still straight except in the back some of the edges around my nape started to revert. I used the wrong showercap... But other than that it's still pretty straight. But it smells dirty. :mad: I don't know why it smells dirty. I don't have any products in it. And It doesn't have the burnt hair smell it just smells dirty. Like when I take my braids out dirty. I wanna wash it so bad but I'm trying to keep it like this at least one more week. Last time I kept it straight almost 3 weeks and it didn't bother me at all. But this time it's really bugging me. How long do you wear your flat ironed hair?

Wow, your hair is growing nicely. :)

I'm always ready to shampoo my hair no more than a week after flat ironing. Even though it still looks good a week later, my scalp is itchy and I notice a lot of shedding. Once I shampoo, the shedding virtually ceases.

I can go from 2-3 weeks but I usually go two weeks and then I wash. Its been about 6 days for me also as I got my hair done on last Monday.

Thanks Balisi! WhipEffectz your hair looks great. I guess I'm just gonna try and stick it out til the end of the week and then maybe get some cornrows or something to keep my mind off it. I don't really want another weave right now.

why not just wash it. Then try to air dry on rollers, then re-straighten. That way your hair and be fresh and you can still wear it straight:)

bmoreflyygirl said:
Thanks Balisi! WhipEffectz your hair looks great. I guess I'm just gonna try and stick it out til the end of the week and then maybe get some cornrows or something to keep my mind off it. I don't really want another weave right now.

Thanks!!! You can do it!!!!! Get your money's worrth and go another week. After I wash my hair, I think I am going to get cornrows as well and begin to concentrate on deep conditioning once a week, moisturizing, and doing the baggy challenge.

A week. My scalp gets really oily and my hair starts to smell not so fresh. But my hair sheds when it's dirty. :)

Thanks all you ladies for your responses!

ajargon02 said:
why not just wash it. Then try to air dry on rollers, then re-straighten. That way your hair and be fresh and you can still wear it straight:)

I don't plan on wearing it straight again after I wash it. It's just a once in a while thing I go to the salon and get done when I feel like a change. I didn't do it myself and have no desire to try to do it myself. That's why I'm trying to enjoy it and get my money's worth for at least another week. I'm just so tempted to wash. :ohwell:

My hair smelt good after I flat ironed...maybe it was the heat protectant I used (Silk Elements spray) and I didn't flat iron it really straight.

Anyway, I haven't been able to master the flat-ironed look past 2 days. Plus, I have never flat ironed it bone straight (I'm scared to). I like the big look I achieve from flat ironing. I just let it revert/shrink up as the week goes on and then style it into an afro puff. :)

I usually keep it straight for about a week, sometimes two weeks, it all depends on how many products I've used and how dirty my hair feels.

sweetwhispers said:
you could try dry shampoo or hair perfume- i've not used either so i don't know how effective they would be.

Off topic, I love those dolls in you siggy they are beautiful!

WhipEffectz1 said:
I can go from 2-3 weeks but I usually go two weeks and then I wash. Its been about 6 days for me also as I got my hair done on last Monday.

How do you ladies keep it from getting poofy? I pressed my natural/relaxed hair and the 4 inches of natural hair poofed up by the next morning, and I didn't even get out of the house yet!

I did the following:

Conditioner wash
Light Oil through the ends and hair with WGO
Frizz Ease straightening product
blow dry
comb press

By the morning, you could see that my natural hair would poof. By the time I got to work, it was more poofy.

How do you get it to stay flat and smooth for 2-3 weeks. All I can do with it then is wear a ponytail.

Thanks in Advance!

FeelinIt said:
How do you ladies keep it from getting poofy? I pressed my natural/relaxed hair and the 4 inches of natural hair poofed up by the next morning, and I didn't even get out of the house yet!

I did the following:

Conditioner wash
Light Oil through the ends and hair with WGO
Frizz Ease straightening product
blow dry
comb press

By the morning, you could see that my natural hair would poof. By the time I got to work, it was more poofy.

How do you get it to stay flat and smooth for 2-3 weeks. All I can do with it then is wear a ponytail.

Thanks in Advance!

When I do it myself, all I use is a light oil mist(bare minimal) like my stylist do and go over each section 2-3 times piece by piece. I blow dry before doing all of this. My hair seems to stay. Are you exercising or sweating without knowing it?

WhipEffectz1 said:
When I do it myself, all I use is a light oil mist(bare minimal) like my stylist do and go over each section 2-3 times piece by piece. I blow dry before doing all of this. My hair seems to stay. Are you exercising or sweating without knowing it?

I didn't even leave the house. It poofed before I even got outside. I pressed it on the night before and it was poofy by the time I got to work.

My presses used to last back then, but I didn't have much newgrowth then.

I think it's all in the technique and not the products. I don't have any products in my hair at all. The only thing he put in it was mizani oil sheen when he was done. As long as I wear a shower cap it doesn't poof.

FeelinIt said:
I didn't even leave the house. It poofed before I even got outside. I pressed it on the night before and it was poofy by the time I got to work.

My presses used to last back then, but I didn't have much newgrowth then.

The humidity is soooo bad in Houston. It's really hard to keep it straight. I'm having the same problem in Dallas. I straightened my hair yesterday, and I'm keeping it wrapped up until I get ready to walk out of the house.

I could just feel it swelling up during church today. As soon as I got home, I wrapped it back up!

As for the original question, I usually try to wash every week. If I can't, my hair is in a bun/ponytail after about 6 days. If I was in a less humid place, I might be able to make it longer.

Someone mentioned a Mizani wax that I'm planning to try. She said that helped her hair to stay straight.

i can go about 8-10 days tops but after about the 7th day, its dirty and my edges are super curly. my hair is also straighter and flatter the longer I go, I think b/c of product and oil buildup.

imstush said:
Bmore I love your fall!!! You make me want to get one to give my hair a rest:)

thanks! :) I just noticed this morning my edges have napped back up. I have the fall covering them. I think I'm just gonna wash tonight. I can't take it anymore. Besides the $'s already spent so it doesn't even matter at this point.

I'm 100 percent natural and my pressed hair last 2 weeks using Aveda products. The brillant anti humctant keeps my edges from reverting even after a night of hard rollerskating.

It depends. if I do it myself then I can't hold out longer than a week, and event hen I start doing braidouts and updos to keep it off my face and stuff.:confused: If I get it done professionally then about 2 weeks. The last time got it done for the christmas season, I went from like two days before christmas to about 3 days after new years.

pinkskates said:
I'm 100 percent natural and my pressed hair last 2 weeks using Aveda products. The brillant anti humctant keeps my edges from reverting even after a night of hard rollerskating.
Ditto on the 100% natural. I usually go about 2 weeks at a time also. Sometimes I end up doing a crimp or breadout by the end of the 1st week though, depending on the shape of my edges.

Pinkskates, thanks for the anti-humectant tip! Since my edges usually start acting up about 1 week post, I'll definitely give that a shot! By the way, I loooovvvve your new FOTKI pics! You are sooo pretty and your hair is growing gorgeously!!! You grow girl!:p

P.S. I think you're my hair twin...;)

Do any of you ladies who wear your hair straight often exercise? I don't see how I can maintain straight hair and work out.

Back