* Naturals who blow dry their hair - Your way of doing it?! *

CharUK

"Honestly, Truly"
Hi all :)

Can you guys please tell me what type of blow dryer you use, the products you put in your hair to protect it, and in what order you do things.

E.g. wash-deep condition - apply xyz - blow dry half way - apply xyz

I'd really appreciate it, as I've had bad heat damage in the past and really want to get it right. I only blow dry once or twice per year, in preparation for braids, but since my ends suffered so badly for whatever reason in February when I took the braids out, I want to get it right!!

Thanks in advance!

Well, the key for me is blow drying in small sections. I blow dryed my hair last night in preparation for straightening today, and I did it in about 15 sections (I can't remember exactly how many). Actually, before I got of the the shower, I combed through my hair under the running water and with Wen in it and thats when I twisted my hair in the sections. This makes it much easier for me to handle my hair as it starts drying.

For each section I put a dab or so of my leave in conditioner and a drop or two of the chi serum. Then i rubbed that through concentrating on the ends. After that I gently blowdryed that section, starting at the bottom, with my blowdryer on the medium heat option. From there I retwisted the hair and pinned it out of the way with a bobby pin.

My blow dry routine stays the same whether i have shampooed and deep conditioned or just co washed.

I used to believe that drying my hair on the fastest and hottest temp was fine (dry wiry brittle hair) :nono: until i found this board thanks Chenai!!!

My dryer is the wahl power pik- nothing fancy

I spray my Doo gro leave in , then add fantasia Ic heat protectant serum through my hair, i have just started to add chi silk infusion and my hair loves it, i then spray the Ic heat protectant spray and finally ORS olive oil sheen spray.

I section my hair off and blow dry each section on the lowest setting for heat and speed (yes it can be done!) My hair still dries straight but it takes a bit longer and my hair does not feel hard.

Hope that helps

I wash, DC and then detangle and add coconut oil and then Sabino Moisture Block and make about 6 loose braids. I let the braids airy dry. In the morning i undo each braid, add a tiny bit more Sabino and blow dry using a wide-tooth comb attachment.
i turn it to high, but because my hair is already about 95% dry (airdried overnight) it really takes less than a minute per section to straighten. The Sabino protects my hair from any heat damage and my hair is left feeling silky soft and smooth. I am not using a round brush or trying to create a style, I just blow dry to stretch and make my hair more manageable.

...oh, the blow dryer i use is a very cheap conair dryer. It's black and came with 3 attachments. i think it's about 15 bucks in CVS or walmart.

Last edited:
* wash, condition and deep condition hair
* use towel to absorb excess water in hair
* apply castor oil to hair
* make a few small sections of hair (my hair is thick so i usually do about 10-12)

* when hair is 70-80% dry, the actual blow drying process starts:

- work with one section at a time. undo one section, comb through with a wide tooth comb to remove tangles and shed hair.

- i usually blow-dry on cool but if i use low-heat (never use high), i apply heat protectant. i don't apply it when using the cool setting (which is actually a teensy bit warm but not as hot as the lowest heat setting - it's not the cool shot button - but i've never been damaged by it).

- blow dry section using comb attachment. i will usually do the section 3-4 times to get it stretched out as i desire.

- once done, apply a tiny amount of olive oil on the section, concentrating on ends.

- pin section up and move onto the next one.

it takes me about 40 mins to blow-dry/blow-out (i dislike it!). however, my hair is stretched out so nice and it feels very soft.

if i didn't want the blow-out and just wanted to dry my hair using a blow-dryer, i wouldn't bother with all the sectioning. i would wash, condition, dc, add castor oil and blow-dry on cool.

btw, i have a wahl power pik thing. you can get it at argos, amazon or your local hair shop :look:. i'm switching to a phillips tresseme one because i've broken parts of the comb attachment on the wahl and the attachment is always falling off.

Last edited:
I also blow dry in sections-- at least eight, but usually ten or 12, b/c the crown of my head is the thickest. I wash, dc, detangle, moisturize(leave-in) then SEAL my ends!!! <---that is what protects them and keeps them detangled for me. Then before I blowdry, i also use a heat protectant, usuallt IC Fantasia, but I look forward to trying sabino moisture block to see if I like that better. Anyway, I use my good-ol conair blowdry (that u can get @ walmart for less than I think 15 buckos), and a paddle brush....works wonders!!! and absolutely NO heat damage. I'd day the most important thing of all is sealing those ends and a heat protectant. HTH...Happy blow-drying!

1. Shampoo with Tresseme shampoo for dry and damaged hair. 2. Condition and detangle hair with a Suave conditioner. 3. Towel dry hair. 4. Deep condition hair under the heat cap for 20 minutes with olive oil. 5. Rinse olive oil out and towel dry hair. 6. Apply Motions Leave In Conditioner in 8 sections and comb with a wide toothed comb. 7. Twist each section after combing each section. 8. Release one twist at a time and spray 3 sprays of Silk Elements heat protectant in the palms of the hands and apply. 9. Blow dry each section on high using a tooth comb attachment on the blow dryer. I use the Remington Blowout blowdryer.

This is the result: http://public.fotki.com/nappy85/2008/miscellaneous/blowdried.html (the password is "NaturalHair").

Last edited:
I use pinkskates technique of drying in sections but pulling the hair taut in my hand and using dryer about 6 inches away from the hair, my fine hair can't take the stress of the comb attachment.

I use pinkskates technique of drying in sections but pulling the hair taut in my hand and using dryer about 6 inches away from the hair, my fine hair can't take the stress of the comb attachment.

I don't use a comb attachment on my sister's natural hair when I blow dry it. I pull the hair with my hand also! Thought I was the only one...

Wow, thank you ladies soooooo much!!! I really appreciate it. I realised there were similar threads around, so asked for this to be deleted, but I'm glad it wasn't!! I'll be printing off the replies!

Thanks again.

I'm gpomg to invest in a really good dryer.... I am on a no heat challenge until December but when I'm off, I'm going for quality ceramic and or ion related tools for heat.

I'm looking at something like this:

Andis Elevate Tourmaline Hyper DC Ionic/Ceramic Hair Dryer 1800W EC-1

Professional, lightweight, and powerful Hyper DC Motor provides a lightweight, fatigue-free dryer. Five temperature settings with 3 heat and 2 air speeds. Cool shot button to lock style in place. Hanger loop for easy storage. Contoured handle for comfortable use. Heavy-duty 10 feet cord equipped with Lifeline shock protection plug. Tourmaline - crushed from precious gemstones, Tourmaline crystals emit negative ions that quickly seal the cuticle layer and eliminate frizz for smoother, silkier hair in 60% less time. Nano-Ceramic - with its ultra smooth finish, minimizes friction and delivers far-infrared heat. It penetrates hair from the inside out, for deep, long-lasting styles. Ionic - dries faster by breaking up water molecules.[/I]

Kit includes:
1800 watts, 125 volt.
1 - Elevate Hair Dryer EC-1
1 - Concentrator
1 - Pick

Last edited:
I shampoo my scalp and hair in 1 section, then rinse...

I divide my hair in 4 sections and apply cholesterol conditioner to each section, then twist it up. I deep condition for 30 mins...

I rinse each twist one at a time and detangle each section under running water from the showerhead. After detangling, I twist it back up...

I get out of the shower, and towel squeeze my hair...

Starting from the back, I unravel one section, spray Motions Nourish Leave-in Conditioner and apply Chi Silk Infusion Reconstructing Complex to that section. I take a smaller section, comb through, and then blowdry on high with an Ion Ceramic Hair Dryer with a comb attachment...

I do that for each section until all my hair is blowdried out.

Hope that helps!

Back