Best Way To Dry Relaxed Hair

I rollerset last week and it was a waste of my time and effort. Don't get me wrong, if I were wearing my hair out, then roller setting is the way to go, but since I'm wearing it in a PS, I will go back to drying in a satin stretch cap under the hooded dryer.

After washing and DCing, I add my leave-ins and styling mousse. I comb and smooth it going straight back, then put the satin cap on and sit under the dryer. When the top and ends are dry, I part my hair down the middle so the back can dry. I put a silk scarf over the ends that are hanging out of the cap. It takes about 30-40 minutes. I go to about 95% dry at the roots. Two ponytails would dry quicker, but I don't like to put elastic on wet hair......anymore.

1. I air dry loose with a teeny tiny bit of oils and moisturizers (I do not comb wet hair)
2. Once dry I make like 4 sections, and gently comb out the sheds from tip to root.

The next steps I do one section at a time

3. Apply moisturizer, serum and oil (I make a tiny mix of these on a small plate and use sparingly).
4. Smooth (especially the roots) with a boar bristle brush, and make a loose ponytail with a small silicon rubber band and secure the band in place with a hair clip like this http://texasbeautysupplies.com/ann3132.html otherwise the band just slides right off.
5. While holding the ponytail I place additional clips down the length of the ponytail to control flyaways and keep the hair together.
6. Place an end paper on.
7. Roll the ponytail on a flexi rod (I've been using the larger burgundy colored one's lately http://www.sallybeauty.com/flexible-rods/SBS-209408,default,pd.html
8. Tie down edges with a satin scarf.

I've been LOVING this lately. It's super-quick and thorough. I do it at night or on weekend days when I'm not going out until later. At night I'll spray a tiny bit of water on each ponytail before adding the moisturizer/serum mix. The silicon bands leave practically No crease in my hair.

Last edited:
I vote for rollersetting under a hood dryer. This technique does take practice, but I think it's worth it. I learned by watching Macherieamour's rollersetting video.

Lately I have been doing ponytail rollersets. I apply, a creamy leave in, Redken Smooth Down, and Silk Elements wrap lotion.

I use satin scrunchies, and do 4 ponies down a center mohawk, and 2 ponies on each side of my head. I roll each pony with mesh rollers. I put a little gel on my edges and tie a silk scarf around my edges. I sit under the dryer for 35 min. The results are really great. It's a step between airdried and flat ironed as far as smoothness goes. My hair feels really healthy and has so much body and movement doing this.

When I am really crunched for time. I do 2 buns on each side, tie it down with a silk scarf, and sit under the dryer for 30 min.

Back