Naturals: Where Does Your Damage/Breakage Come From?

Where did your damage/breakage come from?

• Blow drying

Votes: 35 24.6%
  • Color

Votes: 13 9.2%
  • Flat Ironing

Votes: 38 26.8%
  • Protective Styles

Votes: 13 9.2%
  • Tension Styles (Puffs, etc)

Votes: 31 21.8%
  • Combing/Brushing

Votes: 71 50.0%
  • I don't get breakage/I've never damaged my hair

Votes: 12 8.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
When i decided to protective style by bunning. At first i did really well w/ moisturising and sealing everyday. Then i got lazy and stopped moisturising daily and sometimes i would go days w/o even bothering to seal my ends w/ oil...and sometimes i would leave the bun in the same spot. lets just say when i went to go starighten in november i had to cut a good almost 2 inches..

Ditto. My hair hates twisting. It just tangles onto itself which sucks since I like twistouts for certain styles.

I chose styles. I had the middle nape in the back break because I like a nice, tight, sleek puff. I did it far too often. This year I'm not doing puffs often. Only once in a while.

Same here. I had tangles and shedding for days after doing mini twists.:nono:

Aside from that, I'm grateful to not have had any breakage/damage.

That darn Denman brush, ripped my hair out!!!

I have split ends everywhere.

Now I use my tangle teezer and I noticed less hair breakage. Plus I just purchase the split-ender so this should assist with getting my hair back on track.

Wash and go's!! I had to have 2 inches trimmed last month and 1 over the summer all from wearing WNG's. I'll be straightening more this year, washing less often, and trying to keep the same style a week or more.

I have this problem, I love WNGs but its not beneficial for an everyday style.

I'm texlax so my hair behaves better when straightened.

That darn Denman brush, ripped my hair out!!!

I have split ends everywhere.

Now I use my tangle teezer and I noticed less hair breakage. Plus I just purchase the split-ender so this should assist with getting my hair back on track.

huh, just in page 3 i was saying to Ellepixie that "split ender" can be a scam, there was a big on this board, and girls talked about their thoughts, that it was cutting more than split ends, trimming to much..

huh, just in page 3 i was saying to Ellepixie that "split ender" can be a scam, there was a big on this board, and girls talked about their thoughts, that it was cutting more than split ends, trimming to much..

Yeah, I read those reviews, watch youtube, etc. It seems to be mixed reviews. So I'm going to give it a try.

Before I began using henna my hair would get a ton of single strand knots. Now I still get them but it is minimal. I also noticed alot of breakage before I began cowashing and keeping my hair stretched out. Now that im bunning I can apply protein and moisture without worrying about messing up the style and my hair is alot healthier.

I have the split ender and it works. Yes it does cut off healthy ends too but the amount is so small you won't miss it. It's like dusting that's all. I really like it.

Being too rough while detangling. Still clueless on keeping my hair moisturized when straightened so I have some breakage from that situation also.

My problem is understanding how much breakage is too much breakage. I have been natural since 02, so I don't remember the amount of breakage I had when I was relaxed, but I do know that my hair is longer than it was then.

Recently I have noticed smaller hairs when I shampoo, which is not normally the case (or perhaps I am noticing it more). So I am bit worried if this is going to impact my length retention. I will try to clip my ends and keep my hair more moisturized--so I hope that helps. So, most of the breakage comes from being lazy with moisturizing.

Detangling after washing.
I can actually hear strands popping cuz my hair seems to knot itself when wet. I've tried washing it in braided sections and the whole nine, but can't seem to find a good enough detangling product:(

I'm now trying to stretch to 3 weeks between washes.

Detangling after washing.
I can actually hear strands popping cuz my hair seems to knot itself when wet. I've tried washing it in braided sections and the whole nine, but can't seem to find a good enough detangling product:(

I'm now trying to stretch to 3 weeks between washes.

Maybe detangling during the deep-conditioning process would help you. What detangling product do you currently use?

As for the question of the thread, I encounter the most breakage when I detangle too roughly or not thorougly enough. I also encounter a lot of breakage if I start detangling with the comb or paddle brush instead of using my fingers first.

I have the split ender and it works. Yes it does cut off healthy ends too but the amount is so small you won't miss it. It's like dusting that's all. I really like it.

do you run the gadget only on ends, or you have to pass it from top to ends? and I'm afraid that one day it will start cutting on top, I don't know how the gadget knows that you are at the 1/4 of the hair's end.

whatever i've heard that we have to blowdried hair before using it, don't want to blowdried/flatiron.
thanks for your review :yawn:

Maybe detangling during the deep-conditioning process would help you. What detangling product do you currently use?

I find it difficult to detangle and will take your advice and try it when I have DC on. But, is it best to detangle right when you put the DC on or after you've finished the DC treatment??

Thanks for the insight everyone! Although the damage does not seem as apparent, I'm definitely going to be as careful as possible when I detangle.

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this, but I notice the hair in the back, which rubs on my collar, has more splits and tangles. I will have to pin up the back more often to counteract this problem.

I get the most breakage from the straightening process with the brush and blowdryer. I'm going to try rollersetting next.

Back