Naturals when do you retain the most lenght?

jtsupanova

Shrunken fro or protective styles?

I wanted to use a poll but I don't know how to set it up
For me its protective styles like twist but I never really considered wearing my hair out in its shrunken state(on the regular) once it got a certain lenght

Im new to this whole natural thing....but I would assert that you would retain more length in a protective style. The couple of times that I have worn my hair in a shruken fro it dried out very quickly and I had to reapply products and it was more tangled:nono: ....neither of which are very conduscive to retaining length...

yeah
shrunk=tangles for me too but there are some naturals who wear shake n go's everyday and get alot of growth

Last edited:
I wear shake and gos, and I think I retain the same amount of length I would wearing protective styles. However, I've discovered that if I don't detangle at least once a week while wearing a shake and go, my hair tangles and suffers.

i usually wash and go and I still retain length. As for the tangles - I dont have them very often...not sure why? I only detangle under running water - otherwise I fingercomb- maybe that helpskeep the tangles at bay??? Toodlez!

Cheleigh said:
I wear shake and gos, and I think I retain the same amount of length I would wearing protective styles. However, I've discovered that if I don't detangle at least once a week while wearing a shake and go, my hair tangles and suffers.
Same here! No difference for my hair.

jtsupanova said:
yeah
shrunk=tangles for me too but there are some naturals how wear shake n go's everyday and get alot of growth
So true! Check out BlackCardinal... her hair grows crazy from wearing it shrunken 24/7! I don't think she's ever done a protective style.

Poohbear said:
Same here! No difference for my hair.

So true! Check out BlackCardinal... her hair grows crazy from wearing it shrunken 24/7! I don't think she's ever done a protective style.

Yeah pooh and the funny thing is that from pictures BlackCardinal looks like my hair twin
Cheleigh's hair texture looks pretty simular to mine too
maybe yall have more patience than I do

For me-protective styles. I wish I disn't lose soo much hair when I wear it loose for a number of days, but it gets really tangled.

jtsupanova said:
Yeah pooh and the funny thing is that from pictures BlackCardinal looks like my hair twin
Cheleigh's hair texture looks pretty simular to mine too
maybe yall have more patience than I do

You're not alone...my hair tangles like a beast when left in out styles for even a day. My bestfriend has really coily hair too and she barely tangles--maybe there's something else about the textures etc that makes it difficult for us.

Whenever I have tried to wear my hair out for several days in a row I ended up with seriously dry hair and tangles. Maybe I wasn't using the right products.

I retain more length with protective styles, because it tangles so badly when I wear it out. I wore it out during the summer for 3 months and it didn't retain much length. I had twists recently for 2 months and I was able to retain a good amount. Maybe there's some secret to retaining length while wearing a shake and go..:ohwell:

Sorry I'm no help because I never wear my hair out...well only a couple of times a year in a twist out. And that's no longer than 1 day.

But I'm assuming protective styles are better. But if you do wear it out make sure to moisturize, moisturize, moisturize...sleep w/ a satin scarf or pillow, and detangle frequently. I'm sure as long as your hair isn't:

getting dried out,
tangled up (causing you to loose hair), or
breaking...

...you should retain about the same amount of length, right?

Aeshia you remided me of something
When I do wear my hair out I obsessively trim because of single strand knots
To those who wear their hair out or in shake n go do you get single strand knots?
If you do, do you just let them be or do you hack those suckers off ( I say "hack" cause they are soo annoying)

jtsupanova said:
To those who wear their hair out or in shake n go do you get single strand knots?
If you do, do you just let them be or do you hack those suckers off ( I say "hack" cause they are soo annoying)

I do whatever...I have worn two strand twists for the past two months hoping that may cure the knot problem but I still got them. SO Im back to wearing wng's. When I see knots I snip them off but I have stopped trimming my entire head after seeing knots. Ill never have any lenght if I continue to do that :ohwell:

jtsupanova said:
I get single strand knots on shake n gos AND when I do two strand twists. Those type of knots are inevitable for my coily hair. :ohwell: I just leave them be.

i dunno. this is the first time that ive worn braids/ twists straight (i started in mid oct). however my hair grew from 3 inches to what you see in my avatar (my hair ends where my finger is) with only shake n gos and pony puffs

for me i dont think it matters. this sept until now, i have experienced unusual dryness. hence the protective styles

i still get the single strand knots though. i want to wear my hair out more but i think ill band/ do large twists at night instead of shake n gos

Ayeshia said:
I do whatever...I have worn two strand twists for the past two months hoping that may cure the knot problem but I still got them. SO Im back to wearing wng's. When I see knots I snip them off but I have stopped trimming my entire head after seeing knots. Ill never have any lenght if I continue to do that :ohwell:
OT: Ayeshia your curls are looking fab. BTW :D

Shrunken fros are a NO-NO for me if I want to retain the most length. My hair knots and tangles very easily so twists and braids are the way to go. Leaving my hair out even in like twistouts or braidouts aren't good for my hair either. What I gotta start remembering is to not detangle my hair when dry!

Shrunken All the Time! I've worn my hair out since a month after the BC (about 3 months total) and I plan to leave my hair out and shrunken (usually in puffs) for the whole winter. I detangle in 4 sections twice a week in the shower, and since I wet my hair usually once a day I have no problems with tangles or dryness. I think that my shrunken hair locks in more moisture then wearing it in braids or twists, and thus it protects itself.

I'm not a fan of protective styles like twists and braids on my own hair because:
a) I have an oily scalp so I NEED to wash my hair at least twice a week. I also frequently rinse/steam/cowash.
b) My hair in that slightly stretched state causes more dryness and tangles than wearing it out.
c) I prefer how my hair looks when it's out (but I might like them more when my hair is longer).
d) It's way less work, my hair takes less than 5 minutes a day to "do" and look cute :)

I wear it protected (double stranded twists loaded with castor and veg glycerine.) My hair is always veiled so it is well protected.

I am not a protective style type of person. My hair has grown about 4 inches since July which probably is not the best figure L
I lately I have been doing roller sets or braid-outs. I am going to slowly introduce my hair to more protective styles. I have been washing my hair twice a week and deep conditioning each time. If I take care of it at night and moisturize daily I have no problem with dryness, but if I don’t braid it up at night I wake up with a lot of tangles L I kind of hopped off the proper hair care wagon over thanksgiving but I am hopping back on tonight.

I'm not much of a protective style person outside of getting extension braids on occasion. As long as I make sure to condition and detangle my hair well, I don't have any problems.

I have been wearing my hair out a lot. I take good care of it. I feel that it grows longer /retains length when I wear twists.

I retain the most length when using protective styles. When I wear my hair loose for extended periods, it's a tangled mess unless it's flat-ironed.

Back