Naturals - what's the best heat protectant?

coyacoy

hi ladies - interested in hearing from you re: best heat protector?! I am a 4a/b natual and would like to blowdry a little more often and maybe even flat iron every now and then. while admittedly a PJ, i got nothin' in the heat protectant department! what are the best ones out there? thanks!

I don't know if there's such a thing as best, but the last time I straightened my hair I use Chi Thermal Treatment to condition and then John Frieda Frizz Ease spray and serum and they served me well. I didn't even have that smell of burning you get when you flat iron, not even when I wet my hair to wash. And my hair did not revert until I decided I wanted it to and shampooed it when it reverted fully. I have always loved John Frieda Frizz Ease to keep humidity at bay. That was my first time using protectants and I was not disappointed.

thanks, Nonie - so were you using heat previously w/o any heat protectant? just curious how that worked out for you and/or what led you to start using the JF products? I haven't ever used that line, have only used Chi and Mizani thermal products but that was years ago! I am so out of the loop on heat protectant products!
:lol:
I don't know if there's such a thing as best, but the last time I straightened my hair I use Chi Thermal Treatment to condition and then John Frieda Frizz Ease spray and serum and they served me well. I didn't even have that smell of burning you get when you flat iron, not even when I wet my hair to wash. And my hair did not revert until I decided I wanted it to and shampooed it when it reverted fully. I have always loved John Frieda Frizz Ease to keep humidity at bay. That was my first time using protectants and I was not disappointed.

My votes are:
- Nioxin Bliss Thermal Protectant for spray heat protectants
- Elucence Silk Hydrating Elixir for serum heat protectants

good to know, MeechUK - thanks! what about applying the grapeseed oil directly to hair for this purpose?

You can also use it on it's own as a serum. Grapeseed oil has multi-purposes in haircare. It softens and strengthens and is a great heat protectant because it can withstand high temperatures whilst protecting your hair. It also acts as a setting lotion when roller setting with heat. Best of all it's cheap and cheerful!

MeechUK - I didn't know grapeseed served as a heat protectant.

Nonie naturalmanenyc - which is better Chi Silk Infusion or Chi Infra Thermal. I normally use Silk Infusion. I'm not familiar with Infra Thermal. How do they differ?

I have the best results with Sabino Moisture Block (old version) when I flatiron.

Same here. I stocked up after they changed the formula. I hope the new formula is good, I will try it when I run out of the old formula which will be in a long long time:look:

@MeechUK - I didn't know grapeseed served as a heat protectant.

@Nonie @naturalmanenyc - which is better Chi Silk Infusion or Chi Infra Thermal. I normally use Silk Infusion. I'm not familiar with Infra Thermal. How do they differ?

divachyk, I don't know which is better. I bought Infra Therma Treatment because it made sense to me as a treatment that protects hair from heat damage and figured it'd be better to use it to condition than just any ol' conditioner. What's more, I don't like using leave-ins when straightening my hair. I prefer all moisture to come from conditioning and then all I use on my hair during straightening is a protectant. I think leave-ins get in the way of the protectants adhesion to you hair which is why people get reversion or heat damage, methinks.

Are you ladies blow drying AND flat ironing? Is that what people mean when they name two heat protectants?

PJaye that makes sense - in my limited experience with heat on my natural hair, i find that the normal products i use to moisturize turned out to be overkill and not helpful at all in the straightening process - thanks!

@coyacoy

I apply a light coating of leave-in conditione before air drying and using the Sabino (IME, less is more when flatironing).

Are you ladies blow drying AND flat ironing? Is that what people mean when they name two heat protectants?

NappyNelle, not me. I have always flatironed my hair wet first w/o anything on it :crazy: and then flatironed it a second time with serum applied. That always gave me best results.

But since I am now stuck on protectants, instead of taking the risk of flat ironing my hair wet with just water, I first airdry with curlformers to stretch it. Then I spray it with John Frieda Heat Defeat for my wet-to-dry first pass. The instructions do say to use it immediately before heat, which I took to be a blessing to my WTD press. And then I did my second flatiron pass with the serum protectant (In the past I didn't really care that the serum was for heat use; but this time I was careful to use JF Thermal Protection Serum....) Best experience ever! Beautifully straightened hair that didn't have a burned smell, felt soft and stayed that way till I washed it. Reversion was immediate when I applied shampoo. Can't beat that!

Youtube as well as the net has some great reviews on Tresemme heat tamer. I'm gonna try this with my new Jilbere steam flat iron

I blow dried my hair and went to the DS for the stylist to flat iron only. I used Nioxin Bliss Thermal Protectant to blow dry my hair. After my flat iron my hair reverted back to natural when I washed it a week later, with no heat damage at all.

I believe the nioxin thermal bliss has been discontinues Ulta has stopped selling it and it is no longer available on their website. I will be contacting them on tomorrow:(

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

I believe the nioxin thermal bliss has been discontinues Ulta has stopped selling it and it is no longer available on their website. I will be contacting them on tomorrow:(

It has been discontinued for at least 5 months now... I can't even find it online...

Oh no! I was just thinking about buying this. I hope not though - I'll do a search right now.

Back