Naturals: What makes your curls *POP*?

KnottyGurl

I big chopped about 4-5 months ago. It took me a while to find some products and a technique that works. :drunk:

After I co-wash, I use:

1) Cantu Shea Butter Leave-In
2) Noodlehead Curling Creme
3) IC Fantasia Gel (Blue)
**Finger combing 99% of the time when I co-wash helps keep my curls defined**:yep:

Definitely does the trick! I was using about six or seven products at the same time (too much). I also learned what dulled my hair: Shea Butter. It was really soft, but really dull. I try to mix a "wee bit" of it in other products and not put it directly on the hair. I haven't had a dull day since.:grin:

All this works great for me now, but who knows how long that may last? I'd like some other ideas for later and possibly help new big choppers. :look:

What works for you? Techniques, products and pictures welcomed! Let's get it all in one place.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Excellent post:

As a kinky head chick(4abcz) I have found that the following items really help to make my curls go BOING:

1. I co-wash 2/3 times a week--I detangle in the shower with a shower comb in sections.

2.FX Special Effects Curls Up Curl Reactivator & Defrizzant LOVE IT--a dab will do ya.

3. IC Fantasia Gel--I use them all(the clear one, the blue and the brown one).

4.Some spray on leave in conditioner/mixed with water and dab excessive out.

5.Twist it up--small to medium sized. Air dry over night.

6. Finger comb them out...Ta dah

I co-wash, on damp hair I apply KCCC, finger comb and not touch it until dry. By mid-morning my twa curls are shiny and defined or "pop" lol!

I forgot to mention that (I think) I'm a 4a/4b. I also forgot to mention that before step #1, I spray with a mixture water, castor oil, and Cantu Shea Butter Rinse-Out Conditioner. I also use this same mixture to "reconstitute" my curls on non-wash days.

Excellent post:

As a kinky head chick(4abcz) I have found that the following items really help to make my curls go BOING:

1. I co-wash 2/3 times a week--I detangle in the shower with a shower comb in sections.

2.FX Special Effects Curls Up Curl Reactivator & Defrizzant LOVE IT--a dab will do ya.

3. IC Fantasia Gel--I use them all(the clear one, the blue and the brown one).

4.Some spray on leave in conditioner/mixed with water and dab excessive out.:yep:

5.Twist it up--small to medium sized. Air dry over night.

6. Finger comb them out...Ta dah

Nothing....

This.

I thought that I would need a lot of gels or other concoctions to make it 'pop' when I first chopped, but I realized that wasn't necessarily true. All I do now is cowash, and use some of the conditioner as a leave in. I've also noticed that when I rinse my hair after I've deep conditioned overnight with Lustre Shea Cholesterol, my curls are beautiful with limited frizz.

Wash and go, eh?

This.

I thought that I would need a lot of gels or other concoctions to make it 'pop' when I first chopped, but I realized that wasn't necessarily true. All I do now is cowash, and use some of the conditioner as a leave in. I've also noticed that when I rinse my hair after I've deep conditioned overnight with Lustre Shea Cholesterol, my curls are beautiful with limited frizz.

:lachen:No. I don't mean I do absolutely nothing and my curls just automatically start poppin' and explodin' off the chainz. Nothing, no shingling, cowashing, curlisto method, gel, curling pudding, plopping, etc. defines my curls.:perplexed My hair is always just a huge mass of frizz.

:lachen::lachen:I was green with envy. No gel? No conditioner? :fistshake: :giggle:

:lachen:No. I don't mean I do absolutely nothing and my curls just automatically start poppin' and explodin' off the chainz. Nothing, no shingling, cowashing, curlisto method, gel, curling pudding, plopping, etc. defines my curls.:perplexed My hair is always just a huge mass of frizz.

A good shaking!

I think most people find that they need to start with hair in the state that they want to mimic - meaning, if you like the way your hair looks like soaking wet, then when you style start with soaking wet hair. That's the only time you really have any control over frizz.

Layering products seems to help too.

I put in a cheap con to detangle in the shower with my jilbere, and then clip the sections up with my heavier condish in and go about the rest of my shower. Once I'm done, I run my head under the water one more quick time, and then wrap a t-shirt around it to soak up some of the water Take it down while damp and SHAAAAAAAAAAAKE.

I'm still really new as a natural though, and I failed shingling 101 so I may not be the one to ask. :ohwell::lachen:

leaving a lil vo5 condish in my hair makes my curls pop when I wash n go. and ZERO frizz...ok i'm lying...like 60% less frizz :)

Thanks for tips :yep: I have to try that t-shirt wrap. Oh, and you aren't the only one to fail Shingling 101. My hair said "NO!" three times (I tried to give it a chance to work). That was the end of that.:lachen:

A good shaking!

I think most people find that they need to start with hair in the state that they want to mimic - meaning, if you like the way your hair looks like soaking wet, then when you style start with soaking wet hair. That's the only time you really have any control over frizz.

I put in a cheap con to detangle in the shower with my jilbere, and then clip the sections up with my heavier condish in and go about the rest of my shower. Once I'm done, I run my head under the water one more quick time, and then wrap a t-shirt around it to soak up some of the water Take it down while damp and SHAAAAAAAAAAAKE.

I'm still really new as a natural though, and I failed shingling 101 so I may not be the one to ask. :ohwell::lachen:

What curls? :lachen:. I ain't got no curls at all! Just a big old shrunken frizzy head, which I still love dearly:yep:.

I once dreamt of trying the BKT to get some popping curls and tameness to my hair but chickened out even though I bought the treatment and paid customs fees for a bottle that doesn't contain anything more than 20mls, sigh.

Anyway, my answer is nothing will make my curls pop. Apart from a very well done twist/braidout.

I just get mad because I can SEE the friggin' curls! :wallbash: Hidden amongst the fuzzies of course. :look:

Last night I was wearing a loose bun and all through the center of my head was just aheave with waves and coils and what have you. They just refuse to show up when asked! I may try a diffuser too. Adding product - especially creamy stuff - keeps my hair wet forever.

Although, now I know that sealing with castor oil will keep it soft. :yep:

ETA: My Denman brush defines the ENDS of my coils, but it spreads out the length if that makes sense. Like - it fros out the length, and then they ends will be perfect smooth spirals. I seem to get better root to tip definition with a shower comb. Maybe I need a Denman with wider rows? It's great for scalp massages, spreading product, and buns though.

Keep hair well moisturized and conditioned.

Try not to disturb curls while you're manipulating your hair.

oh, lol... i wont take back my "thanks" though lol.

as some ppl already mentioned. i just condition, leave some in and call it a day.

Last edited:
I big chopped about 4-5 months ago. It took me a while to find some products and a technique that works. :drunk:

After I co-wash, I use:

1) Cantu Shea Butter Leave-In
2) Noodlehead Curling Creme
3) IC Fantasia Gel (Blue)
**Finger combing 99% of the time when I co-wash helps keep my curls defined**:yep:

Definitely does the trick! I was using about six or seven products at the same time (too much). I also learned what dulled my hair: Shea Butter. It was really soft, but really dull. I try to mix a "wee bit" of it in other products and not put it directly on the hair. I haven't had a dull day since.:grin:

All this works great for me now, but who knows how long that may last? I'd like some other ideas for later and possibly help new big choppers. :look:

What works for you? Techniques, products and pictures welcomed! Let's get it all in one place.

Thanks!

I tried the cantu shea butter but it left white flakes in my hair. What do you do to prevent that?

I will be keeping an eye on this thread. Hopefully when my hair gets longer I can try a wash and go or shingling. Tangles be damned.

I agree with Soliel's sentiment---I twist my hair when very damp/soaking wet to minimize frizziness and to enhance the curl. I have also tried twisting with conditioner and this works just as well--but it can leave my hair ashy/dull at times. As far as "wash n go"...nah I will have a shrunken fro sponge on my head :-)

A good shaking!

A good shaking!

OT: WHYYYY you say you failed shingling 101...:lachen:

I agree with Soliel's sentiment---I twist my hair when very damp/soaking wet to minimize frizziness and to enhance the curl. I have also tried twisting with conditioner and this works just as well--but it can leave my hair ashy/dull at times. As far as "wash n go"...nah I will have a shrunken fro sponge on my head :-)

WnGs haven't worked by itself for me. I twisted my hair in large two strand twists with some condish left on and little jojoba oil all over in my hair for a couple of days. When I took own the twists, my hair was soft and curly. I went to bed on a satin pillow and when I woke up it was still soft and curly, but some curls were a little mashed, so I sprayed some distilled water + IC leave in and they popped right back.

Shingling works for me as well, but I am still trying to find *the* product that wont leave my hair dry and somewhat flaky...

i just co wash daily and add kbb hair milk and hair cream. my curls are defined on their own but the hair milk and cream keep it soft and with less frizz.

Has anyone tried a beer rinse? I posted a link in Miss Norways Dominican Disaster thread b/c a poster I follow on YouTube said the Domincans told a client of hers that a beer rinse will help your curls pop back after the blow out.

She did one and her hair was super defined afterward!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cnl57aBg-8c

At first, I was using A-LOT of it. Now, I just make sure my hair is semi-dripping wet and apply two palms full. One for the top and sides and one for the back. I also shake my head back and forth and sideways (over the tub of course) after applying it. Maybe that's why I don't have any excess. I'm shaking it off. I hope that helps.:yep:

I tried the cantu shea butter but it left white flakes in my hair. What do you do to prevent that?

I will be keeping an eye on this thread. Hopefully when my hair gets longer I can try a wash and go or shingling. Tangles be damned.

I'm gonna have to check out the beer. My SO has PLENTY of beer I can sneak and use.:grin:

My reggie resembles this YTuber's. This video changed my experience with my newly natural hair. I was lost. No curls. No volume. I was not happy.:nono: I learned how to use the conditioner, IC gel, and diffuser to my advantage.

From NaturallyNike: Wash n Go w/ Conditioner Only Method/ How to use a diffuser
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CcdMBq2L4Q

She talks about the t-shirt and head shaking too. I skipped the t-shirt, but since you brought it up, I think I'll give a go.:yep:

Last edited:
I have tried numerous products with different results. Almost any moisture product and a twist out will work. For Wash and Go hair, KCCC, but it takes forever to dry. Miss Jessie's is the bomb too on occasion.

Back