Naturals, what makes your curls pop?

I use a denman d4(d5?) and some MNT moisturising conditioner as a leave in. That makes my curls pop like crazy. I didn't even know I had coils til I tried that. The IC Fantasia Polisher with sparkle lites, the clear one, also works but I didn't like how my hair felt when I used it. It felt coated and maybe like it's dry underneath.. i dunno.

I wash/co wash with cholesterol and brush my hair then, that's when the curls appear. Rinse but don'trough up the hair too much, wrap in a towel and then once it's stopped dripping apply the MNT. I once used MNT AND fantasia. Big no-no, they clump when mixed so don't go there!

I haven't used fantasia in a long time without a twistout, the word gel scares me too!

RelaxerRehab said:
What's your recipe? How much of each ingredient? How do you apply?

Ok, this is going to be slightly confusing but this is my explanation from another hair site

Ok ladies and miss QT I'm sorry if I'm messing with your reciepe but I just can keep this to my self any more I feel so guilty... so let me break it down a lil sumptin like dis...
Here are the ingredients to <u>Curly Pudding</u>:
purified water, veg glycerin, aloe vera gel, carbomer, tocopherol acetate, sweet almond oil, milk protein, vitamin e, panthenol, pectin, sweet orange oil extract, fragrance, fd&amp;c red 3, fd&amp;c blue 1

And here are the ingredients to <u>Fantasia IC Hair Polisher Styling Gel with Sparkle Lites</u>:

Purified Water (Aqua), Glycerin, Carbomer, Triethanolamine, Aloe Vera Gel, Dimethicone Copolyol, Tocopheryal Acetate, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Polysorbate-20, Benzophenone-4, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylsothiazolinone, Disodium EDTA, Fragrance (Parfum)

And hear are the ingredients of Sauve Milk and Honey
INGREDIENTS:
Water (Aqua), Cetyl Alcohol, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil (Buxus Chinensis), Tocopheryl Acetate [Vitamin E Acetate], Aloe Barbadensis (Aloe Barbadensis) Gel [Aloe Vera], Honey (Mel) Extract, Hydrolyzed Milk Protein, Cetrimonium Chloride, Fragrance (Parfum), Potassium Chloride, Distearyldimonium Chloride, Disodium EDTA, 2-Bromo-2-Nitropropane-1, 3-Diol, Propylene Glycol, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazzolinone, Yellow 6 (Cl 15985), Green 3 (Cl 42053).

Now sauve milk and honey and fantasia Ic are my two favorite products so I thought to my self wouldnt it be wonderfull to get the benifits of both products in one so while looking at a thread on another website it hit me although the ingedients list for fantasia IC and curly pudding are simular there are a few things missing and to me what sticks out like a sore thumb is the milk protien that and a couple of oils so hear is the reciepe
I did not do excact measurements so please work with me
75% of a jar of fantasia IC gel
1 table spoon of gylcerine
1/4 cup of olive oil
and hears the kicker 1/4 of a bottle of sauve milk and honey that has been diluted with water
I dilute my sauve so I can use it with my twist and braids and not have as much unraveling how I do this is I mix water with a fourth a bottle of the sauve I fill the bottle all the way up to the top I used 1/4 the contents of this bottle
Mix all of the above I mixed mine with an electric mixer cause I got tired of mixing
This stuff is the bomb yall don't sleep on this it has all the benefits of curly pudding and more!!
If you like the look and feel of you hair when it has conditioner in it you will love this its great for twist, curl def, slick backs and all that... gives you white head at first so I sat under the dryer for a minute but it dries clear with a soft hold and I got fouth day curls and that never eva happened before(also for curl def I didnt shingle or comb it though or whatever I just smothed it into hair that had already been detangled and shock it like a polariod picture)
Please dont pay $28 when you can make a knock off with cheap, good quality and readily avaliabe
Again sorry QT for jackin your thread and thank you for inspiring this recipe
biggrin.gif *end of post*

The key to getting it really curly for me is "watering" your hair after you apply the gel. You can do this with the mist from a spray bottle and then give your head a good shake.

Any conditioner w/out cones. Suave, aubrey organics, they work pretty good for me. I have use ISO bouncy creme in the past it works ok, but I prefer the condiitoner. It's cheap, and leaves my hair very soft, pliable, and smelling great!

As of late I've had a lot of success with using cholesterol conditioners. I don't use gels or any type of curling creams, curling lotions, etc. I do a conditioner wash, add a creamy moisturizer, and let my hair dry overnight. My hair is wavy and curly as heck the following morning.

BTW - My moisturizer of choice is African Royale Miracle Oil Moisturizer.

Nothing ! :D
I didn't master this art yet !
I know that wasn't helpful, sorry ! :D
I'm going to take some notes, but I'm not that much positive, my hair is like too thick.

IrisDaVirus said:
As of late I've had a lot of success with using cholesterol conditioners. I don't use gels or any type of curling creams, curling lotions, etc. I do a conditioner wash, add a creamy moisturizer, and let my hair dry overnight. My hair is wavy and curly as heck the following morning.

BTW - My moisturizer of choice is African Royale Miracle Oil Moisturizer.

Yeah, my sister is BIG on using the QH cholestral with Ginseng as a curl activator. She slathers a big old handful onto her wet hair and dries it upside down with a diffuser.

I am wanting to try this cause it's so cheap. But I don't have the same hair type.
BTW, Iris are you a type 3ish? I have some of what you could call type 3 in the back, and top, but type 4 on the sides.

I found that the denman brush really helps to define my coils. I usually just conditioner wash my hair. I then add Elasta QP Mango butter and follow up with either IC Fantasia sparkelites or Scurl wave pomade.

Definitely Beyond The Zone Noodlehead!!! *singing ~Nothing compares 2U~*:lol:

ETA.....oh, and a Denman brush! How could I forget that?....got all caught up singing.

Last edited:
kinky-curly curling custard!!!!
b4 that i used 2 use aveda elixir 4 a soft hold
and b4 that i used queen helene cholesterol conditioning gel

my goal was finding a gel consistency with moisturizing properties...
my friend swears by diva curl gel but i never got around 2 it
i also want 2 try happy nappy styles by blended beauty for a wash n go....

melodee said:
Yeah, my sister is BIG on using the QH cholestral with Ginseng as a curl activator. She slathers a big old handful onto her wet hair and dries it upside down with a diffuser.

this stuff is great
when i first went natural i used 2 use this
it made my hair very soft and shiny
but now it is 2 long and thick
i need product!!!!!

Thanks ladies!

Oh, and diffusing helps maintain the curls while drying. I just posted about a new diffuser I picked up that's pretty good.

Yeah, I am really blown that I bought all that stuff from Miss Jessie's! The Fantasia IC does curl my hair right up, as well as Aveda's Be Curly collection.

LilChocolateMa said:
Yeah, I am really blown that I bought all that stuff from Miss Jessie's! The Fantasia IC does curl my hair right up, as well as Aveda's Be Curly collection.

Did you use up the Miss Jessies stuff?

Fantasia IC gel (clear) makes my hair pop the best but I usually have to mix it with a moisturizer to get it to be less "goopy." It works, though, esp. with plopping.

JuicesN'Berries said:
Co-wash with Pantene Pro-V relaxed and natural (Leave some conditioner in), and Castor oil.

Ditto or MNT as a leave in.

and the conditioner from my old gym as a leave in, if I can only find out what it is

Applying products on soaking wet hair.

Currently, I'm using Giovanni Direct Leave-in and Fruit of the Earth Aloe Vera Gel.

Actually, I haven't used it since I cut off my scab hair, but I will definitely try it when I get back home to Maryland. I want to compare all of them. BTW Bmore, we are hair sisters! Our hair looks exactly alike!

bmoreflyygirl said:
Did you use up the Miss Jessies stuff?

LilChocolateMa said:
Actually, I haven't used it since I cut off my scab hair, but I will definitely try it when I get back home to Maryland. I want to compare all of them. BTW Bmore, we are hair sisters! Our hair looks exactly alike!

Cool.... :)

Back