Naturals:What keeps your hair feeling soft?

FtrDrO

My hair feels soft right after washing it but after a few hours, i'm left with this crunchy feeling texture that I hate. When I run my hand over groups of strands, they feel like they have moisture, but touching the surface of my hair (ends? ) they feel different. So, my question is have you found a product or combinations of product that leaves your natural hair feel soft all day long?

Avocado butter and oil works wonders for me... I mix them in my moisturizing conditioners and I use the AB straight when I'm just braiding and seal with Coconut oil or Castor oil (Hairveda CoCasta Oil).

It sounds like it might be a combo of your products and regimen to me. What is your regimen? Are you using a leave in? How often do you wash your hair? Do you use shampoo? If so, what kind? Do you DC? How often and what do you use?

My hair feels soft w/o products if I'm baggying nightly and in twists.

When wearing it out, my hair feels soft when I use S Curl Activator.

I find less is best for my hair.

Avocado butter. I like to put it on damp hair and let it air dry overnight. It's soft when damp or dry, but I like it when it's dry because it's not so buttery.

For me what matters more is what conditioner I'm using when I'm washing. Most of the time I don't put anything in my hair after washing except some Luster's Renutrients Slick Stick (<-- awesome for slicking down fly-aways) to pull my hair back. I mostly put it on the surface in the front for some hold, but I put a little on the ends too sometimes. It's actually pretty good at "sealing" your ends--just a teeny tiny bit, though, so it doesn't build up.

What sort of conditioner are you using?
I'm currently using Organix Coconut Milk line. Smells yummy and leaves my hair really soft but also strong.

I mixed Mixed Chicks leave-in with CD hair milk friday immediately after rinsing my DC and it left my hair extremely soft. Other than that I like the KBB hair milks and sweet almond butter/oil.

It sounds like it might be a combo of your products and regimen to me. What is your regimen? Are you using a leave in? How often do you wash your hair? Do you use shampoo? If so, what kind? Do you DC? How often and what do you use?

I've tried different combinations. What I do notice is that my hair remains softest when twisted up. Anyway, what I do most of the time is

DC on dry hair with AO HSR with heat for about 30 min
Shampoo with CON green
Quick condition with HSR or a cheapie (either Suave tropical coconut or HE LTR)
Spray with Glycerine/AVJ mix or Put on Shea butter
Seal with Castor oil or Coconut oil
Moisturize daily with glycerine/avj or shea butter

Yesterday I switched it up and tried olive oil replenishing again, just to how my natural hair would react to it.

DC on dry hair with Olive Oil Root stimulator mixed with jojoba oil
Shampoo W/ Con
Quick condition with HE LTR conditioner
ACV rinse
Apply HE LTR leave in, a little shea butter, and seal with jojoba

Results: soft for a while, then crunchy by the end of the night:ohwell:

Putting Olive Oil on my hair the night before I wash.
Using Avedas damage Remedy treatment.
and EXTRA VIRGIN COCONUT OIL!!
I had been reading on here for a while about coconut oil. Finally I had to break down and get some.. let me just say its the best thing since sliced bread!! :grin:

I'm not quite natural yet but I do have half a head of natural hair. The natural bits really respond to Jamaican Mango and Lime leave-in on wet hair followed by castor oil.

Blowdrying after washing keeps my hair feeling softer.

If I airdry, I use Aussie Moist Conditioner on my hair to keep it feeling soft.

I just noticed that If I deep condition for 30-45 mins my hair comes out extra soft after flat ironing.

I also mixed some Miss Jessie's rapid recovery with aphogee 2 min re-constructor and it works great as a deep conditioner.

Last night I cowashed w/ a tea tree conditioner DC w/ ORS Mayo and when I combed it through it was soft...when I went to sponge roll it I used grapeseed oil mixed w/ some chi silk...its been soo soft I cant keep my hands out of it! I'm loving being natural more and more each day! IDK what took me so long...

I've tried different combinations. What I do notice is that my hair remains softest when twisted up. Anyway, what I do most of the time is

DC on dry hair with AO HSR with heat for about 30 min
Shampoo with CON green
Quick condition with HSR or a cheapie (either Suave tropical coconut or HE LTR)
Spray with Glycerine/AVJ mix or Put on Shea butter
Seal with Castor oil or Coconut oil
Moisturize daily with glycerine/avj or shea butter

Yesterday I switched it up and tried olive oil replenishing again, just to how my natural hair would react to it.

DC on dry hair with Olive Oil Root stimulator mixed with jojoba oil
Shampoo W/ Con
Quick condition with HE LTR conditioner
ACV rinse
Apply HE LTR leave in, a little shea butter, and seal with jojoba

Results: soft for a while, then crunchy by the end of the night:ohwell:

Protective styles do help to retain moisture. My hair is softer if I keep it braided up. Have you tried clarifying? You could have build up on your hair. Those HE products did the same thing to me around this time last year and it was the cones. I had to stop using them. It was like no matter how much I tried to DC it wasn't getting in there. I can't use those cheapy conditioners to co wash either. My hair does not like them or cowashing. My hair did much better when I went back to my weekly washing and DCing regimen. As long as I get that DC in there with a good conditioner it'll stay soft until the next wash. I used EQP DPR 11 last week for the first time and was very pleased. When I went to my stylist she commented on how soft my hair felt.

I've also gotten good results from the ORS Packet, Nexxus Humectress, Fantasia IC Deep Penetrating Conditioner, LeKair Shea Cholesterol (This worked better on my transitioning hair than natural hair IDK why). I usually use Humectress as a leave in. Sometimes I use EQP H Two to refresh.

Also, your shampoo could be drying your hair out. I can't use certain ones because they'll make my hair feel dry once it completely dries. It's fine while wet/damp. Some naturals don't use it at all and cowash instead. Maybe you need a sulfate free one? I found CON stripping. There have been a lot of other good suggestions in this thread but I think your best bet is to find something that works for you, keep it simple and stick to it.

Last edited:
Back