Naturals:What keeps your hair feeling soft?

I just used aubrey honeysuckle rose as a leave in after my dc and I was actually able to fingercomb my hair. This will definitely be a staple

A good DC....Pantene's Mask or AOHS mixed with Vatika Oil...overnight. The next day...a nice heavy conditioner as a leave in (DevaCare one or Infusium the conditioner..not leave in) and a tad bit if Shea butter rubbed in my ends...

Sounds like allot...but it keeps my natural locs soft... Oh and LOTS of water.

My hair feels soft right after washing it but after a few hours, i'm left with this crunchy feeling texture that I hate. When I run my hand over groups of strands, they feel like they have moisture, but touching the surface of my hair (ends? ) they feel different. So, my question is have you found a product or combinations of product that leaves your natural hair feel soft all day long?

condition: Aveda IRT, AO HSR
leave in: Lacio Lacio
daily: Coconut Oil
daily: Gro Aut Oil

Keep in mind my hair can be VERY DRY but when I use these products in a regimen my hair is very soft for days.

Last edited:
Cowashing, regular deep conditioning (twice a week) and using a good leave in +/- oil (coconut/olive) depending on the season.

Thanks for all of the responses everyone! I tried to change it up today, thinking that I might need to clarify. So I DC with AO HSR w/ honey, did a baking soda rinse to clarify, quick conditioned with hsr, acv rinsed, and left some hsr in...sealed with coconut oil. still crunchy. I'm going to buy new products tomorrow and one of the recommended leave ins and try again. If that still doesn't work, then I will assume that I have scab hair as someone mentioned in another thread. I'll keep you all posted.

Thanks for making this post. I'm subscribing. I bought some unrefined extra virgin coconut oil, and I can't wait to try it! I hope it works, because my hair is SO dry.

Aloe vera liquid (george's brand from vitamine shoppe) and glycerin

1/2 and 1/2 or 1/4 glycerin and 3/4 aloe liquid
shake well in a spray bottle

seal with eden bodyworks hair milk or cd hair milk

see the thread "the very best moisturizer"

Hello! I'm new to this site but I've been natural for a couple of years now, I just wanted to say maybe you're doing or using too many things at once like the baking soda with the acv and all that, if you could narrow it down to your dc, then your shampoo and conditioner then your oils maybe it will be a little less crunchy?

Thanks for all of the responses everyone! I tried to change it up today, thinking that I might need to clarify. So I DC with AO HSR w/ honey, did a baking soda rinse to clarify, quick conditioned with hsr, acv rinsed, and left some hsr in...sealed with coconut oil. still crunchy. I'm going to buy new products tomorrow and one of the recommended leave ins and try again. If that still doesn't work, then I will assume that I have scab hair as someone mentioned in another thread. I'll keep you all posted.

I think the problem is in the sequence of it all.

While you should use AO HSR on dry hair for the best absorption, I think it's best on clean dry hair.
You may find that shampooing and then blotting excess water out and letting it airdry before conditioning helps a lot.

When I shampoo, I detangle in the shower and get out. Then I take a paper towel and squeeze out water in sections. This gets my hair dry, without rubbing it in a real towel. If need be I airdry, but at this point my hair is normally ready for conditioner.

Then apply your conditioner and sit under the dryer. I used to have really hard hair, and nothing seemed to help. But my problem was LESS about product and MORE about technique. I really think technique is key.

Also, if your clarifying, I'd clarify before deep conditioning- not after. And after I DC, I wouldn't do an additional ACV rinse. I'd just rinse the DC out, use a good moisturizer and keep it moving.

Don't give up and assume scab hair! The right regimen/sequence and solid products are all you need. And I'm more inclined to say the problem is in the sequence you're using and not the products.

hth

I think the problem is in the sequence of it all.

While you should use AO HSR on dry hair for the best absorption, I think it's best on clean dry hair.
You may find that shampooing and then blotting excess water out and letting it airdry before conditioning helps a lot.

When I shampoo, I detangle in the shower and get out. Then I take a paper towel and squeeze out water in sections. This gets my hair dry, without rubbing it in a real towel. If need be I airdry, but at this point my hair is normally ready for conditioner.

Then apply your conditioner and sit under the dryer. I used to have really hard hair, and nothing seemed to help. But my problem was LESS about product and MORE about technique. I really think technique is key.

Also, if your clarifying, I'd clarify before deep conditioning- not after. And after I DC, I wouldn't do an additional ACV rinse. I'd just rinse the DC out, use a good moisturizer and keep it moving.

Don't give up and assume scab hair! The right regimen/sequence and solid products are all you need. And I'm more inclined to say the problem is in the sequence you're using and not the products.

hth

Thanks for the suggestion amara! I was thinking the same thing after I trimmed some of my hair (which I don't mind, since I think I really needed to get the last of the relaxed ends off) and tried Giovanni Direct today, just to have the same issue. I'm going to try DC on clean dry hair next time as you suggested and see how that works for me.

Deep condton with any conditioner that has quaternary ammonium (sp) follow with leave-in conditioner, seal with butters -shea, olive, manoi tahiti etc or oils

Last edited:
I rinse with water frequently (pretty much everyday), blot with a t-shirt, add a good helping of castor oil and go. The water moisturizes and castor oil softens and defines my hair.

When curly, I use Trader Joes Nourish Spa Conditioner and Vatika Oil and I'm in love!

When straight, I massage my scalp every night with the Vatika Oil and use Qhemet Biologics Burdockroot Creme, just a little on my ends and seal the ends with Vatika Oil. Sleep in a scarf and when I wake up in the morning, my hair is awesome.

Try getting a water filter. When I was relaxed I used to carry around this spritz of diluted conditioner that would alway make my hair feel soft, and I would always use drinking water to dilute it with. Well, for some reason my hair would no longer get moisturized. As soon as my spritz dried from my relaxed hair it would feel crunchy and dry. Fast forword, was doing everything for moisture, I finally got a filter and all is good.
I do tea rinses and a final rinse with okra water, you boil cut okra in water until the water is gel like get rid of the okras and use the water as a final rinse.
Also depending on your hair type, your styles may be drying out your hair. If you keep it loose it may feel dryer than if in a braided style, if a braided or twisted style still proves drying then seriously consider tea or okra rinses.

Back